Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2019, 12:56   #28606
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Another one on the outer ring road, Hyderabad. A speeding Swift rammed into a container. The car got stuck and the container dragged it for some distance causing the fire.

Luckily the locals rescued the driver of the Swift and fire officials were promptly on scene to put out the fire.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st May 2019 at 11:23. Reason: Spacing and formatting
rav11stars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 13:17   #28607
BHPian

13-year-old loses balance while applying brakes for the speed breaker, falls in front of lorry tyre, gets crushed to death. His sister, riding pillion was fortunate to escape unhurt. Lorry driver gets arrested for no fault of his own. The system!

Last edited by Nimalan : 26th May 2019 at 13:26.
Nimalan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 18:29   #28608
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If the driver had negotiated that bridge and in less than a KM this happened, goes to show how even a few seconds of sleepy eyes on a night drive on a highway can be disastrous.
How tragic an incident!

When one feels drowsy, there is a phase where the muscle memory reacts to the expected turns but fail to react to unexpected turns. This often gives a false sense of being in control inspite of obvious drowsiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
No fault of the lorry IMHO as it seems to be parked. Looks like the driver dozed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
the accident occurred around 1 am in the morning. No further details about the accident has been mentioned.
The midnight to 4AM is a time that is best avoided by drivers who haven't had enough experience in driving all night. When there is a lady in tow with a lot of jewellery on display it would have been been tough to pull over at a randomly chosen place for an emergency snooze.

We must plan the places to stop over in advance and know the places which might be open all night and relatively safer too.

I might take a good quality thermos flask full of hot coffee for the non-stop all-night drive after a busy day and a heavy dinner, if it's that unavoidable.

It looks like they have been travelling right after finishing a function that would have required the driver to be awake throughout the preceding day with heavy eating thrown in too.

They could have taken turns with the bride hopping in to the front row(if she happens to have that reservation) when it would have been the bridegroom's turn to drive.

One shouldn't be hesitant to give up the wheel to another and must use speed alarm apps to keep the speed to less than 80kmph with utmost strictness.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 26th May 2019 at 18:39.
COMMUTER is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 19:28   #28609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
... keep the speed to less than 80kmph ..
Maintaining sane speeds within limits on highways is important for sure.

Another important aspect is to avoid making the drive monotonous for instance driving at varying speeds helps break monotony rather than keeping the speedometer boringly constant for extended periods.

An unclean windshield causes lot of glare from oncoming headlights and tire out a driver quickly. Ensuring a squeaky clean windshield before a night drive. makes for a glare-free (stress-free) and safer drive. Use newspaper if available to get that lint free clean windshield.

Maintain a more upright posture, co-passengers mostly could/would be blissfully sleeping, don't let the cabin get too silent, have some low volume upbeat song/music running.
Always better to avoid late night driving on Highways unless it is an emergency/unavoidable situation.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 26th May 2019 at 19:30.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 22:45   #28610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimalan View Post
13-year-old loses balance while applying brakes for the speed breaker, falls in front of lorry tyre, gets crushed to death. His sister, riding pillion was fortunate to escape unhurt. Lorry driver gets arrested for no fault of his own. The system!
This scenario is exactly why i hate 2 wheelers overtaking/driving close to my car esp at traffic signals. I have had them brush my ORVMs many times and they almost always start gesturing at me as if it is my fault, sometimes even when i have either not moved yet or just started to move!

I have even seen two wheelers brush against each other at traffic signals, and sway or swing to one side. No accidents though, lucky for them.
DriverR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 23:37   #28611
BANNED

Quote:
13-year-old loses balance while applying brakes for the speed breaker, falls in front of lorry tyre, gets crushed to death.
I am somebody who is strictly against these young kids driving motorized vehicles on the roads, and what is worse? The attitude of parents. I once ended up bruising one such scooty and when I went to the child's place with him, the parents started lecturing me how I should have been careful and that if they can provide, they will provide a scooty to their child and it's not my concern.

Now the truck driver is arrested, the story will be another way round in the court. When the judge will ask for the driving license of the kid, and then will let the truck driver go free because "the child was not supposed to be there driving a vehicle and is not permitted to do so by the govt. either"
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 10:13   #28612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

Sharing the video of the accident. No fault of the lorry IMHO as it seems to be parked.
Thanks for the additional info.

Stationary truck in what appears to be a well-lit spot, a speeding car that doesn't look like the brakes were hit at all.

Physics and stupidity combine, it's a matter of when, not if, something like this will happen. Never understood the fascination with driving after a long, tiring day.

Not the truck's fault in this specific instance, but that missing under-run bar probably has and/or will hurt other victims in different circumstances, possibly with fault not as clear cut as this one.
Old 27th May 2019, 10:21   #28613
Senior - BHPian

As we were just talking about the importance of taking breaks when one feels drowsy, here is an unfortunate case where that did not help either.

This car driver pulled over and was resting in his car when another lorry (whose driver reportedly dozed off) rammed into the car and sandwiched it with another lorry parked ahead of the car.

Quote:
https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...ion--1.3823682

Bineesh was running a business in Kottayam and was going to Kottayam from Kannur. When the car was parked in front of a temple during the journey, a t...
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

RIP.

Any guess on the car model?
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 10:25   #28614
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Looks like an ALto 800 to me.

Extremely sad incident, its only wise to pull over at a petrol station or a roadside dhaba instead of parking alongside the highway.
//M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 11:14   #28615
Team-BHP Support

One needs to get off the road completely to be relatively safe. Not just right off the active carriageway, but away from it such that nobody could accidentally swerve into your back. A spacious fuel station, a rest stop or if on a well-designed multi-lane highway, a lay-by, are probably safer than taking a break right next to the road boundary, a common sight on our highways.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 11:48   #28616
BANNED

Quote:

This car driver pulled over and was resting in his car when another lorry (whose driver reportedly dozed off) rammed into the car and sandwiched it with another lorry parked ahead of the car.

RIP.

Those thirteen inch tires are now being made available with Hyundai Eon, i10, Alto 800 and Renault Kwid.

I would go with Renault Kwid.

Yeah it is a must to choose a safer place to snooze to try to avoid these instances to the extent possible.

Rest is in God's hands.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 27th May 2019 at 12:05.
Old 27th May 2019, 14:39   #28617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Hyundai Eon, i10, Alto 800 and Renault Kwid.
It's an Alto.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20190527143708.png
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 19:05   #28618
BHPian

Quote:
4 killed when the car rammed on to a stationary tanker on Bangalore - Mysore road.
Quote:
As we were just talking about the importance of taking breaks when one feels drowsy, here is an unfortunate case where that did not help either.
Long time ago travelling back in an Ambassador from Manali to Kasauli, sitting with my father in the front bench seat he told me a very simple thing. While the driver's job is to drive and keep everyone safe, the co-passenger in the front should stay awake and if possible chit chat with the driver to make sure he is awake and attentive.

Technology has moved on a lot since that time but in theory this still holds good. If you have one drowsy passenger next to you, unless you are a complete night owl, you are bound to feel drowsy.

Coming to the point of stopping and resting. A safe place, probably a well lit Dhaba or a Gas Station is preferred over anything else. And park as far as possible from the highway and a bit inside. We have all seen the swift flying and colliding with the parked cars somewhere near Delhi a few years back.

Repost:

Quote:
13-year-old loses balance while applying brakes for the speed breaker, falls in front of lorry tyre
Parents need to be held responsible. I have neighbours who let their Class 8 kid drive around on a Scooty after tuition on Mysore road.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 07:06   #28619
Senior - BHPian

Drove past this accident site a week ago on the Dindigul Salem highway. I can't figure out how the driver managed to reach the median and climb the guardrail!
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2019_0519_101246_860.jpg
In the video you can see onlookers still indicating with their hands as to what happened - so probably happened a little while ago.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 12:13   #28620
BHPian

Quote:
Five people from a family, including a 14-year-old boy, were killed after a speeding ambulance jumped the median and collided with their car near Kogilu Cross on the international airport road on Monday morning.
Was this one more sleep deprived drowsy ambulance driver?

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/5-...ru-736498.html
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks