Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2019, 00:02   #29116
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
This biker teaches us that the first thing to do after a horrible accident is to look for your missing footwear.
Thankfully, it is not too horrible. In fact, it is quite amazing, and almost looks like an organised film stunt. I'm glad the biker was able to hunt for his shoes!

The car driver seems unhurt. I don't know that he deserves to be.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 02:35   #29117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
In my EcoSport, there are grooves on the steering wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock positions for the thumb and rest of the fingers curl behind the steering wheel. When you say bottom half, do you mean to hold the wheel even lower than 9 and 3 o'clock positions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My British-driving-school (and test-passing) instruction dogma said the wheel should be held at ten-to-two or three-fifteen positions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
With the airbag being housed at centre of the steering wheel, it is best not to have the arms cover the centre of the wheel. So, the earlier suggested 10-2 position isn't the best now. 9-3 or lower would ensure that arms do not get in the way when the airbag is deployed.

Could you also let know what the 3-15 position is?
Guys, I used to hold the steering at 10 - 2. I read that due to the airbag deployment, ideal position is 9-3 or 8-4. I use the 8-4 position.
Satishtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 08:04   #29118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
I use the 8-4 position.
Doesn't 8-4 position hamper control/confidence while driving?

Since the early days, I was never comfortable with 10-2 as there was a need to hold the wheel tightly plus the arms had to be raised. My driving position is laid back. I shifted to 9-3 position years back not because of the safety aspect (wasn't aware of it) but for sheer comfort. I rest my thumbs over steering spokes, have a light grip on the steering with arms in a relaxed position.

8-4 would be taking it too far. I can't imagine driving with hands on the lower part of the steering. Downright scary!
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 09:08   #29119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I shifted to 9-3 position years back not because of the safety aspect (wasn't aware of it) but for sheer comfort. I rest my thumbs over steering spokes, have a light grip on the steering with arms in a relaxed position.
Thumb contours are present at 9-3 position in a steering wheel. So ideal position as per manufacturers too is 9-3. I agree with you on 8-4 position. It feels as dangerous as it holding steering wheel because it does not provide less flexibility to the hands to perform different steering actions in case of emergency.
Old 30th July 2019, 09:43   #29120
BHPian

Steering positions recommended are 10 - 2 and 9 - 3 with more bias towards 10 - 2. Most cars have the thumb slots between these two positions. This also means an available 60° to 45° of rotation in either direction before your hands cross. 8 - 4 will give just 30° of rotation which is not enough. Thereafter it's an upward motion.

The hand position with airbag deployment matters if the person is not trying to steer away from the oncoming impact. If you are, which is normal, your hands are not likely to be in any of the above positions. There is no ideal scenario to have an accident.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:05   #29121
BHPian

Do you guys use both hands to hold the steering? I have been driving for 12 years using only one hand while my left hand is either on my lap or arm-rest (if provided).

And this includes hatchbacks, sedans, MUVs and SUVs !.

Anyway I think it is all a matter of being comfortable just like seat height, ORVMs etc.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:15   #29122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Steering positions recommended are 10 - 2 and 9 - 3 with more bias towards 10 - 2.
I am no expert but a quick Google search showed that 10 - 2 position is no longer recommended since the advent of airbags. 9 - 3 is the recommended position nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Do you guys use both hands to hold the steering? I have been driving for 12 years using only one hand while my left hand is either on my lap or arm-rest (if provided).
I always have both hands on the steering wheel, even while cruising on the highways. I personally feel that it helps me stay alert
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 12:58   #29123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
I am no expert but a quick Google search showed that 10 - 2 position is no longer recommended since the advent of airbags. 9 - 3 is the recommended position nowadays.
Would have helped if you considered the next few lines in my post. In any case, the best position is where your thumb can reach the steering mounted controls easily. I have 3 cars and in none of them can I reach the buttons or grab the steering at 9 and 3 positions, there are cross members that actually block this position regardless what "Google" might have to say.

Coming back to the actual topic, regardless of the position you are holding the steering, it's very unlikely that in an event of airbag deployment your hands will be at any of these recommended positions unless its a head-on crash where the driver did nothing to avoid the collision.
Old 30th July 2019, 13:07   #29124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This biker teaches us that the first thing to do after a horrible accident is to look for your missing footwear.
While the car driver is first bothered to check the damages caused to his car instead of checking on the biker's condition. By the way, full marks to the biker for the landing, if he were in gymnastics.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 13:57   #29125
BHPian

Quote:
Steering positions recommended are 10 - 2 and 9 - 3 with more bias towards 10 - 2.
Quote:
Would have helped if you considered the next few lines in my post. In any case, the best position is where your thumb can reach the steering mounted controls easily. I have 3 cars and in none of them can I reach the buttons or grab the steering at 9 and 3 positions, there are cross members that actually block this position regardless what "Google" might have to say.
I did read the rest of your post and agree with your assessment regarding hand position not mattering during real world accidents. I was replying about your claim that 10-2 position is more recommended which have highlighted above. So the Google search result yielded few articles which said that the 10-2 position was predominantly used before and 9-3 is the more recommended position nowadays. Anyways at the end of the day, its all about personal preferences and driving styles suitable to oneself.

In the EcoSport, I have the thumb grooves at 9-3 and all steering mounted buttons and headlight and wiper stalks are within easy reach. Hence I am used to that position.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_2019073013515701.jpeg
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 15:05   #29126
Distinguished - BHPian

post, to everyone discussing about the steering wheel holding position, we have a dedicated thread. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ing-wheel.html (Driving Position / Where to hold the steering wheel!)

Mods, please move all these posts there.
BoneCollector is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 15:37   #29127
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not even sure where I put my hands! I'll have to look!

Despite good instruction, and some nagging from my mother, I do a lot of one-handed driving. The other hand is always ready.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 15:39   #29128
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this here. The cool-ness factor of this guy is unmatched.

I am glad that he is okay but couldn't help but laugh every time I see this clip and it's already 20+ times that I have rewind and watched it.

By the way, I feel the car could have stopped for a bit before turning to avoid such a weird accident. "Haste makes waste" is something our folks don't understand at all.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 17:51   #29129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Thanks for sharing this here. The cool-ness factor of this guy is unmatched.
In most likelihood, these guys know each other or are friends. I don't see any other logical reason for such a lukewarm reaction.
Old 30th July 2019, 18:12   #29130
BHPian

Quote:
As it appears, biker was speeding a bit on a straight road and car driver's view was not blocked. Driver sitting in the car must be seeing the bike clearly through his windshield but he failed to anticipate. The only thing he had to do was stop or drive dead slow in his left lane and let the bike pass. Also I can see that car's right indicator was not turned on, may be a blinking indicator from a far distance would have attracted attention of the biker, giving him few extra seconds to brake or swerve.

On biker's part, his speed was more than he could handle in such a situation. There was no attempt from him in avoiding the collision.
Motor_Nut is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks