Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 16:21   #13711
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Last month I had to drop my mom to the airport at midnight. THe signals on airport road work throughout the night. None of the taxis and lorries were stopping at the signals. As a law abiding citizen I decided not to jump signals and stopped for a couple of signals. The speed at the which vehicles zipped by me from both sides made me fear for my life. I then decided that if I stop again somebody is surely going to rear end me. By the time I reached the airport I had jumped some three signals. Felt miserable but sometimes we have no choice.
I agree, the airport stretch is horrible at nights and early mornings. I was forced to jump the signal on a couple of occasions too. It is simply stupid of the BTP to switch on signals during the nights. Some people stop for a few seconds, hesitate and then proceed, but 90% of them speed through, this is what I'm worried about on unlit stretches. The last thing one would want is to get rear ended by a speeding cab (or volvo ). Sad state of affairs this. The multiple switches in and out of the service lane make matters worse.

Maybe someone could post this on the BTP facebook page and ask them to switch off signals there. All the road users would then slow down at intersections and proceed, like they do with any switched off signal inside the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
We always have a choice. Stop on the extreme left lane. Simple.
Not that simple saar. That extreme left lane happens to be the ONLY motorable lane in many places now , thanks to the overhead constructions reducing road width, and the service road being severely potholed.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th July 2013 at 16:25.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 16:26   #13712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
We always have a choice. Stop on the extreme left lane. Simple.
Yeah I guess so. But the airport road the way it is right now that too won't be a safe choice IMO. There's so much road work in progress. There are diversions every 100 mts along the way with barricades and structures that create huge blind spots. Some of these cab drivers take these corners like F1 drivers and if there's a vehicle standing somewhere they don't expect one to be you had it. And matters get really worse if its raining. I don't think I have the courage to stand at a signal on that road during wee hours, in its present condition with rains thrown in.
Old 26th July 2013, 16:46   #13713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Hemanth it's really heartrending to see this. Hope God gives his family the strength to pull through this.

Incidents like these make me think about following rules in this country. At the risk of receiving a lot of criticism, I sometimes feel it's safer to go with the flow and be safe rather than follow rules and get punished.

We talk about following rules and being safe. But in reality, what has this poor soul gained by doing it?

I face at least one scenario every day where I am alone at a red light and people are going past breaking the signal all around me. Apart from being looked at as a stupid moron, my eyes are always on my mirror as I'm scared of being rear ended and killed. I am scared to stick to the left lane as I might be pushed off the road by a rash driven cab/bus.

Considering all the antics people do on road, sometimes I feel it's much better, easier and more importantly safer to sail with the tide and be one among the law-breakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Really sad, infuriating - I am seething with anger. I hope that truckie's karma catches up with him.

That said, it cements my personal belief - city roads have far more morons per kilometer than most highways. Ironical since most parents worry about their (grown up) children undertaking long rides when the risk is bigger nearer to home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Really Sad news :(
Especially for no fault of his.
That truck driver should be shot dead in public.
I just don't know what to say.
Its hard to digest what's happened, but whatever happens, the departed cannot come back. Life has to move on I can only hope that we as a country improve.

These days I had stopped trying to be a good driver. I only made conscious efforts not to be a bad driver! After this incident, I only feel that its better I continue doing that even if it feels bad. Its at least better than ending up as a photograph on the wall
Old 26th July 2013, 17:22   #13714
Senior - BHPian

Saw this banged up Ecosport, its a test drive car so not blanking the plates.

The tail lights are still intact, seems some suv or truck rear ended the poor thing.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130726_172211.png
Views: 5231
Size:  554.7 KB
Old 26th July 2013, 17:36   #13715
Senior - BHPian

Earlier this year in my town, a group of two-wheeler riders and a few cars were waiting at intersection. From behind a quarry truck came charging at full speed and drove through the intersection like it did not exist. It smashed several cars and dragged 3 two-wheeler riders to death.

The morale of the story is, keep looking at rear view mirror as much as looking ahead. Since most roads are bifurcated, these days more rear-ending accidents are happening than frontal. On my to and back from work I see several two-wheelers blocking your path and crawling in the niddle of the road at 30-40 kph. God knows when will they learn. The trouble is, an injured man can learn but not a dead one.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 18:03   #13716
BHPian

Today around 6:30 am I was on my way to college when I saw a badly crashed Tata Indigo at kandivali new link road.
The car had banged into the divider and the front was mangled. There was a crowd and some cops who seemed to be taking down the details.

Anyone got more details?
Old 26th July 2013, 22:43   #13717
BHPian

I was also on the receiving end of a trucker trying to break a signal.

It was my first week in Bangalore and was driving back from work in my Zen to my cousin's place near Novel Team in BTM. As I approached Udipi Garden signal, the signal turned yellow, I came to a stop and happened to be the first person in line. There were 3/4 cops around the signal. A few minutes later, a truck came and hit me. I luckily avoided hitting any other cars. As I was wearing a seat belt, I did not have any injuries (save some sore muscles). The cops had witnessed the whole thing and they settled the matter in my favour.
Old 26th July 2013, 23:51   #13718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Yesterday I lost one my close friends Harish in a terrible road accident.
His mistake-he was following rules!
Very sad to hear this news. May his soul rest in peace.

These days I am happy joining the queue at the signals rather than being first. Couple of weeks back, when I was approaching Mandovi Circle on the Bannerghatta road the signal turned Red, but I jumped the signal because couple of cabwalas were speeding behind me with no intention to stop at the signal. Time was around 12:15AM. I really don't find any reason on why these signals are ON during odd hours.
Old 27th July 2013, 02:07   #13719
BHPian

Not sure how much it can really help. When standing at signal (irrespective of the hour), I always keep my leg on Brake paddle until a vehicle comes and stops behind me, then only remove my leg and engage hand-brake.

Considering I have habit of stopping at Red signal even during wee hours, have always the fear of someone rear ending.

Coming to new airport (for that matter, all roads in Bangalore), what can be said to our beloved government. Less said the better!

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 27th July 2013 at 02:09.
Old 27th July 2013, 14:35   #13720
Distinguished - BHPian

As and when I'm posting this, I'm in my clinic and have just examined a truck driver with multiple blunt injuries sustained due to an accident 3 days back. I asked him how did it happen and what he told me has made me share it with all you guys out here. He said he went down a small bridge/culvert while driving on a 4 laned highway. This highway is relatively new and is good so I asked him more questions. He said it was around 4 a.m. and he had dozed off while driving. He woke up after crashing the truck. I asked him if there was anything he tried to save or some other reason, he said that driving post 3 a.m. is always risky as so many times he has slept off at wheels. The casualness of his answers made me think what would happen if this idiot hits someone. I've driven long distances but have always avoided driving in dark. Guys, drive safe and more than that, drive at sane timings.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 20:33   #13721
BHPian

This was taken about a year and a half back.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25122011556.jpg
Old 1st August 2013, 11:01   #13722
Senior - BHPian

Whilst the discussion of rear-ending continues, I got rear ended today. No points for guessing, by a biker who was tailing me super closely.

Happened around 9:20 AM,at Sarjapur junction (Bangalore) at a speed on 20 km/h.

Some fellow tried to cut through from the right lane to the service lane. A Ritz and an Omni screeched and stopped in front of me. I braked hard and within a fraction of a second I looked in the IRVM and see a biker banging into me.
He composed himself and I thought that it was just another mild rear ending. Many bikers have rear ended me in stop go traffic. So I did not get down to see anything, avoiding any further jams. Just as a friendly gesture, I waved him and he waved back. So I was relaxed that he was fine and nothing major happened.
So I moved ahead. An auto driver came up beside me and said something in Kannada while laughing. Then I realised something was wrong. So got down and saw this:
Pic taken at office, a while ago.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130801_102348.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130801_102354.jpg

Have a few question from experienced BHPians who have faced similar thing:
- Being a plastic part, can this be brought back in shape by pressure from inside ?
- If yes, will bringing back the bumper in shape cause any new paint damage ?
There is no scratch as a result of today's bang. The one that is present is from before.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 1st August 2013 at 11:30.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:05   #13723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Have a few question from experienced BHPians who have faced similar thing:
- Being a plastic part, can this be brought back in shape by pressure from inside ?
There is no scratch as a result of today's bang. The one that is present is from before.
Just push it out. No paint will come off at all or crack. Just press from inside and it will be fine.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 11:22   #13724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
While pushing from inside of the bumper do make sure you are not using any hard objects (like hammer). If pushed hard the paint at edge of the dent may flake off.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 11:29   #13725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just push it out. No paint will come off at all or crack. Just press from inside and it will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
While pushing from inside of the bumper do make sure you are not using any hard objects (like hammer). If pushed hard the paint at edge of the dent may flake off.
Thanks a ton guys !! Being my first accident in the last 2.5 years of ownership of my first car, I am totally heartbroken :-(
Your suggestions gave me some confidence.

I am planning to wear a glove and make a fist and push it from inside. Will not use hammer or any hard objects to push.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 1st August 2013 at 11:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks