Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2016, 11:27   #22426
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I won't be surprised if the Zoomcar aquaplaned and hit the divider and flipped or worse went over the divider at the sharp curve.
Old 13th December 2016, 15:21   #22427
Distinguished - BHPian

A very sad way to lose life for these young kids, that too in their own society where they were riding bicycles just because someone who was learning to drive here mistook the accelerator for brakes!

Mumbai Woman, Learning How To Drive, Crushes 2 Young Siblings

Quote:
MUMBAI: An army man and his wife, who was taking driving lessons from him, have been arrested for ramming their car into another officer's two children and crushing them to death.

The kids were riding their bicycles in their society in Navy Nagar, where the woman was practising driving. She had very little knowledge of driving and did not even have a learner's licence.

Lance Naik Santoshkumar Rai (36) had just bought a car five days ago, and his wife Sangeeta (34) kept asking him to teach her how to drive. He finally gave in, and on Sunday afternoon, around 2.15 pm, they began driving in their society, Suvidha complex in Navy Nagar.

She panicked

Sangeeta was just a novice and did not even have a learner's licence. She was at the wheel when she saw two children riding their bicycles ahead of the car. The two boys, Akshansh Raviprasad Dyani (13) and Abhay Raviprasad Dyani (7), were the sons of another army officer.

"When she saw the children, she panicked, and instead of using the brake, she pressed on the accelerator and rammed into the children. The accelerating car knocked both the children off their cycles and rammed them straight into a tree trunk, immediately crushing them to death," said an officer from the Cuffe Parade police station.

Soon after the accident, a large crowd gathered around the spot, which drew the attention of fellow Lance Naik Ravindra Jadhav, the complainant in the case.

In his statement to the police, Jadhav said, "As it was Sunday, I had the day off and had left in the morning for some work. When I was returning home, I saw a crowd gathering and, on a closer look, I saw the two children who had been crushed by the car."

One of the boys was rushed to INS Ashwini Hospital by Jadhav, while the other was taken by the accused husband. However, the children were declared dead within half an hour. The Cuffe Parade police were alerted about the incident and they arrested Sangeeta and her husband Santoshkumar.
Quote:
Out on bail

The accused couple were arrested in the evening and were charged under Sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 279 (Rash driving or riding on a public way) and 34 (common intention) of the IPC. They were presented before the Esplanade Magistrate court yesterday and were at first sent to judicial custody before they were granted bail for R15,000 each.
Source
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 15:44   #22428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A very sad way to lose life for these young kids, that too in their own society where they were riding bicycles just because someone who was learning to drive here mistook the accelerator for brakes!

Mumbai Woman, Learning How To Drive, Crushes 2 Young Siblings

Source
This is where a dual controlled car is a must. Most of us have been lucky. I understand the learner driver had no licence. I started teaching my daughter in a private colony but kept stopping everytime I saw anyone/anything else in her path. After that session, I decided that I will let the driving school take over and I will be the finishing school

Last edited by ajmat : 13th December 2016 at 15:48.
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 16:11   #22429
BHPian

Quote:
Sad indeed. Don't know when will people understand to behave responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
After that session, I decided that I will let the driving school take over and I will be the finishing school
Exactly what I did for my younger brother. I did not want to risk anyone's lives. Although the driving school didn't teach him much, the basics were taught. It was much easier to then teach him on mostly deserted roads and empty bylanes.
amansanc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 16:17   #22430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is where a dual controlled car is a must.
While it may indeed reduce the chance of such accidents, I have seen a case of a learned driver (Still with a L board) press the accelerator while negotiating a curve of my office parking ramp and hit the compound wall, breaking it.

In second instance, there was another colleague who bought a used Sedan only because he wanted a Big first car, drives to work for a month, and one fine day while getting out of the apartment, spots a cab belonging to a hotel in EC, decides to stop to allow him to pass so that he can turn right and head towards his destination and instead presses the accelerator and bangs the cab.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 16:54   #22431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Surprised to see how a person from the armed forces can be so negligent(or maybe overconfident) to let such a thing happen. Such a sad moment for a family to lose two kids and this man led himself into so much of legal hassle, shame and irreversible status for one wrong decision.
Old 13th December 2016, 18:00   #22432
Distinguished - BHPian

Read in newspaper about this horrific accident in Aurangabad district of Bihar, 5 people perished in it. Apparently the vehicle rammed into a stationery truck in wee hours of Monday due to fog and was rear ended by another truck, basically a sandwich. It took me a while to recognize the car as Duster. (Image is from newspaper).Details here. http://wap.business-standard.com/art...1200427_1.html
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20161213_174651.jpg  

Last edited by BoneCollector : 13th December 2016 at 18:08.
Old 13th December 2016, 18:19   #22433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
It took me a while to recognize the car as Duster. (Image is from newspaper)
Another picture of the accident collection from http://www.livehindustan.com/news/pa...am-627601.html

Ghastly accident, may the departed souls rest in peace!!! Yes, it's a Duster.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-duster.jpg  

Old 14th December 2016, 03:24   #22434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Just saw this news in Facebook BTP page. Zoomcar topled near Airview from Indiranagar. No news on how this happened, driver side looks bad.

Attachment 1584604
If my eyes can see well, this car has tyres which are almost bald. That is a wet road. And that's a rented car. Three more-than-enough ingredients for a perfect disaster.

These Zoomcar vehicles seem to be a death teap these days. Maintenance wise. When most folks act as perfect ruffians in their own cars, think what these guys will do in a rented car. The result is obvious.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 11:36   #22435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
These Zoomcar vehicles seem to be a death teap these days. Maintenance wise. When most folks act as perfect ruffians in their own cars, think what these guys will do in a rented car. The result is obvious.
Another matter of worry is that people who have taken self-drive cars may not be well versed with the car and in most cases people take these cars for highway drive. Imagine someone driving a high power SUV though most of his experience may be with a hatchback/sedan with comparatively low power.

Last edited by airbus : 14th December 2016 at 11:50. Reason: Minor correction.
Old 14th December 2016, 12:33   #22436
BHPian

Quote:
This is where a dual controlled car is a must. Most of us have been lucky. I understand the learner driver had no licence. I started teaching my daughter in a private colony but kept stopping everytime I saw anyone/anything else in her path. After that session, I decided that I will let the driving school take over and I will be the finishing school
I saw this happening in my apartment complex once where the husband was teaching his wife how to drive. I immediately stopped this chap and made him understand why is it so dangerous as kids play anywhere and everywhere.

Thankfully he understood and yes he also worked for the Navy.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 18:34   #22437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
Reducing air pressure before a highway drive? If at all, you should be increasing it and not reducing. Lower tyre pressure will stress the sidewalls more leading to a higher chance of a tyre burst. I always maintain 1-2 psi more on my vehicles before a highway drive.
I guess it is dangerous to do so.
When the vehicle is moving, tires get heated up and the pressure increases.
If you already increased the pressure to start with, it might lead the tires to reach their limits and might lead to explosion.

Last edited by FORTified : 14th December 2016 at 18:48. Reason: ADMINs - Please remove this post. Enough said already
Old 14th December 2016, 18:46   #22438
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I guess it is dangerous to do so.
When the vehicle is moving, tires get heated up and the pressure increases.
If you already increased the pressure to start with, it might lead the tires to reach their limits and might lead to explosion.
A lot of heat is generated due to flexing of sidewalls and lose air molecules colliding! The more the pressure, less movement of air inside the tyre makes it run relatively cool. Therefore, more (of course within prescribed limits) is safer than less.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 19:37   #22439
Senior - BHPian

Not an accident, but a near accident captured on CCTV. Kerala SRTC bus driver miraculously avoids running over a careless biker

Happened on NH 66, near Karivellur, Kannur District.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 11:35   #22440
Senior - BHPian

Bald tyres coupled with wheels locking. But better than a dead biker under the wheels.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks