Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2022, 08:50   #646
Newbie
 
FalconRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: HYD / KL
Posts: 23
Thanked: 60 Times
Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecars View Post
Hi
This happened with me on 18Nov,2022 at Kashmere Gate,Delhi. I was parking my car (SX4) and it accidently touched a Celerio's bumper standing there. A police representative Mr. Manoj Kumar came out of the car furiously and started beating me and hurling abusive words about me and my parents. He dragged me out of my car. I said I am sorry and I will get his car bumper repaired but he was so furious that he continuously abused me. I repeatedly said sorry. Meanwhile his companion threatened me that he can do anything to me instantly and he has his profile picture with <some political leader name>. I got scared by this. I repeatedly said sorry but he was not ready to listen anything and kept "harassing" me. My father also tried to calm him over phone and said sorry but he was being very rude and did not pay heed. He asked Rs.30000 for this but after repeated requests from everyone , he agreed for Rs.5000.
It is a humble question from fellow members
-Is this bullying and harassing just because he is a policeman justified?
- I paid him Rs.5000 from my hard earned money which is a huge amount for the damage caused. Was it necessary to pay him?(I think insurance covers this)
- I am mentally depressed by the incident.
- Is there anyone who listens to a common man?
I would suggest just forget this incidents as a bad memory. I know it is quite difficult to let go of a harassment from a public servant that too on a public place.

Abuse of power is quiet prevalent in india, especially when the power is given to one to protect the others.

Trust in God and if you dont ...at least believe that karma is a real bitch
The officer is eventually going to pay for his bad deeds.
FalconRed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 16:04   #647
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tamil Nadu
Posts: 569
Thanked: 1,298 Times
Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecars View Post
Hi
This happened with me on 18Nov,2022 at Kashmere Gate,Delhi.
....
- Is there anyone who listens to a common man?
Sorry this happened to you. We are still a country with laws on paper and a bit of Wild West otherwise.

I remember an incident a decade back when a middle-aged two-wheeler rider was repeatedly slapped by a low level politico/gunda on the road in front of everyone because he dared to shout at him for riding on the wrong side of the road. I had never seen a grown man cry out of humiliation before and it was heart wrenching. Plenty of people helped him after the incident to get him some soda and water to recoup himself and to put on his bike and send him on his way but none of us could ask the other guy anything and mostly were helpless as similar to him. We all could have been him. Just the sad state of this country and a decade or so with smartphones and cameras only has marginally improved the situation.

If you want to pursue this, the only option is to use social media and amplify this incident to the max. If you don't want to pursue this, you need to let this go of your mind and just have to move on to not feel bad at yourself and for your own mental health.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 10:45   #648
BHPian
 
krishnakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 422
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

I got involved in a road rage incident on 11 Dec in Bglore. We were returning from a long drive when this happened.

Fortunately nothing happened to us. I captured the whole incident on my dashcam and here’s the video.

krishnakumar is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 17:42   #649
BHPian
 
jono213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 46
Thanked: 63 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I got involved in a road rage incident on 11 Dec in Bglore.
Yeesh, an extremely unsavory incident. Whenever these guys cause accidents and damage, we are expected to let them go because their incomes are not high but then they can pull off this nonsense and get away with it. Disgusting!
jono213 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 18:23   #650
BHPian
 
WorkingGuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 468
Thanked: 1,769 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I got involved in a road rage incident on 11 Dec in Bglore. We were returning from a long drive when this happened...
Your presence of mind to apologise as a response was wise & de-escalated things immediately.

IMO Auto rickshaw drivers are mostly goons who somehow managed to rent the auto / put together 4-5 lakhs and buy it. They unionise & leverage for political votebank to enjoy a fragile ego. Since they're locals, cops are quick to side with them if one isn't a local & especially if one doesn't have dash-cam video as material evidence.

Stay safe. Hope we all learn to respond similarly & get on with our life with minimal disturbance.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th December 2022 at 19:53. Reason: Toned down
WorkingGuru is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 20:55   #651
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,692
Thanked: 12,467 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I got involved in a road rage incident on 11 Dec in Bglore. We were returning from a long drive when this happened.
You handled it perfectly well. Proud of you.

This was like a triggering video for me since I had once run into this auto driver's brother in Hyderabad.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4881387 (Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation)

Not getting into a fight is the best outcome possible.
bblost is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 21:10   #652
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 5,199
Thanked: 16,177 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I got involved in a road rage incident on 11 Dec in Bglore. We were returning from a long drive when this happened.

Fortunately nothing happened to us. I captured the whole incident on my dashcam and hereís the video.
This thing with Auto drivers or even motorists and splashing water is a very common form of ending up in road rage. But somehow people like him feel that this is done on purpose. My driver had reported this incident when similarly some auto driver got splashed from my Celerio while he was driving it and then the driver came back to take revenge by getting a bottle of water and pouring it back on my driver. Beyond that he couldn't do much. Just street justice being attempted with zero brains and emotions running high as to how someone can splash water on him.

I ended up splashing water few years ago on a two wheeler rider because my car landed in a pothole filled with water and at the same time the biker was overtaking me even though he knew that place had quite some water. He approached with full rage as to how I could do it. I just asked him what else I would have done and he had no answer. After few seconds he walked away after I told him he can go and show this rage in front of BBMP for the pothole.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 23:48   #653
BHPian
 
krishnakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 422
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono213 View Post
Yeesh, an extremely unsavory incident
Indeed! Sad that a really memorable trip with my wife had such a poor experience on the way back. But we haven’t let this get to our heads. Indian roads are a jungle and Bangalore I feel is the Amazon forest of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Your presence of mind to apologise as a response was wise & de-escalated things immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You handled it perfectly well. Proud of you.
Thank you. I realized any sort of engagement was going to be bad because he’ll just have his way. My car had already went through some damages recently (which were my fault and thankfully no harm done to anyone else/property) and I totally wasn’t going to let my ego piss off a random auto guy that’s going to add to my bills. All of these calculations, thankfully, happened within my head in those few seconds and the only recourse was to apologise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I ended up splashing water few years ago on a two wheeler rider because my car landed in a pothole filled with water and at the same time the biker was overtaking me even though he knew that place had quite some water.
Unbelievable! How can a rider assume to not get splashed during rains defeats me. I ride a lot and love riding (as one can see from my avatar) and getting splashed during a rain is given. I just take it as an inevitable consequence of riding a motorcycle! I feel the same goes with an auto.
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 16:46   #654
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 308
Thanked: 1,067 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecars View Post
I have never had such an experience before. I usually say sorry for even others mistake just to avoid argument and save my mind for the day.

After the incident, I felt that the phrase "The power of common man" is only true in theory and those in power take full advantage of that.

I feel that these rules are only for us and not for those in power.
I truly feel sorry for the rotten experience you had. But if you are on our roads in any manner one better be prepared for meeting such fellows and there is no guarantee that you will not come across these kind of characters again. I therefore recommend that you take up with your local Police Station and walk up to the SHO and nobody below that level, and narrate the incidence in all its honesty. Ask for an apology from the duo and returning of your money. There are still some good people around in the uniform who will help you.

I also do not think going on twitter or emailing PMO are correct ways of handling this issue. SHO is the level where all the action takes place so catch him, they are normally responsible and mature individuals in that position.

This action on your part will not only help in your understanding of the system here but will also help you claim back your esteem.
PGA is offline  
Old 19th December 2022, 17:05   #655
Team-BHP Support
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea (Bihar)
Posts: 8,785
Thanked: 12,859 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecars View Post

Manoj Kumar is in police uniform and blue jacket.
His companion is in black shirt.
Their car registration number is HR26DU4638
Car had all tinted glass and vahan app shows Puc expired more than 1.5 years ago. I feel that these rules are only for us and not for those in power.
If you are on Twitter, please tag

@dtptraffic
@DelhiPolice
@CellDelhi

and few media handles. Please do write and do not let them go scot-free. Also, please hire a good lawyer, you have enough evidence to bring them to court. You will get justice, am sure.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 19:24   #656
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 823
Thanked: 2,157 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I got involved in a road rage incident on 11 Dec in Bglore. We were returning from a long drive when this happened.

Fortunately nothing happened to us. I captured the whole incident on my dashcam and hereís
You did the perfect thing by apologizing. It goes a long way in diffusing the situation regardless of whose fault.

But you could have slowed down a bit more once you saw all the water ahead with an auto on your left.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 21:01   #657
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: DELHI
Posts: 6
Thanked: 67 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I truly feel sorry for the rotten experience you had. But if you are on our roads in any manner one better be prepared for meeting such fellows and there is no guarantee that you will not come across these kind of characters again. I therefore recommend that you take up with your local Police Station and walk up to the SHO and nobody below that level, and narrate the incidence in all its honesty. Ask for an apology from the duo and returning of your money. There are still some good people around in the uniform who will help you.

I also do not think going on twitter or emailing PMO are correct ways of handling this issue. SHO is the level where all the action takes place so catch him, they are normally responsible and mature individuals in that position.

This action on your part will not only help in your understanding of the system here but will also help you claim back your esteem.
Hi PGA
I agree with all your points but the main point I wanted to share on this platform is that we are common people. Those in power are very hungry to extract every penny out of us. I know I can file an FIR but also know very well that this is like a cobweb. The more you talk/deal with them, the more you are entangled in their cobweb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If you are on Twitter, please tag

@dtptraffic
@DelhiPolice
@CellDelhi

and few media handles. Please do write and do not let them go scot-free. Also, please hire a good lawyer, you have enough evidence to bring them to court. You will get justice, am sure.
Hi Sheel
I put my post on fb and tagged concerned authorities but no one replies or bothers to check if everything is OK. Even after posting his cars' registration, there is no way Police can challan him for expired PUC. On the other hand, rules are very strict for everyone of us and we are afraid to drive for even 1 km in an expired PUC car.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd December 2022 at 17:14. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Lovecars is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 07:25   #658
BHPian
 
krishnakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 422
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
But you could have slowed down a bit more once you saw all the water ahead with an auto on your left.
Car was already going below 30kph and the puddle was not visible on the road. I noticed the puddle when the Duster ahead causes a big splash (again, clearly because it isnít visible) and slowed down to move to the left, but didnít expect the puddle to be so large.

The splash was primarily because there is a depression in the road. So the car dipped into it which I donít think is apparent in the video. At that point, speeds would be just about 20kph and I would have had to literally stop the car to a crawl if I were to prevent a splash. So up until that point, there was no flags which reasoned that I should come to a crawl.

It was a judgment call because I was worried about losing traction as the surface was extremely slushy. At least based on all my learned experiences so far, it shouldnít have splashed the guy. Yet it did. So itís a new learning that I should keep in my mind. Driving in India is crazy.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 16:04   #659
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,855
Thanked: 1,040 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I got involved in a road rage incident on 11 Dec in Bglore. We were returning from a long drive when this happened.

Fortunately nothing happened to us. I captured the whole incident on my dashcam and hereís the video.
It seems like you just went your way hoping he may not be able to catch up. While all you could've done is rolled down the window and apologised politely.

It has happened to me in the past, inadvertently running over a pothole and water splashing at two wheelers/auto guys. Usually resolved by slowing down immediately (that'll calm their nerves/ego that you didn't run) and apologising with a smile. (your sorry sorry sounded super desperate)

Unfortunate that you had to encounter this nevertheless.
Shubz is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 17:32   #660
BHPian
 
krishnakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 422
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
It seems like you just went your way hoping he may not be able to catch up. While all you could've done is rolled down the window and apologised politely.
Absolutely not. Two reasons - (1) I honestly didn't think the splash went inside and even when my wife said the water went inside, I thought that it is unlikely because of the low speeds (2) Before the guy waved me down, I did apologize (with my hand and bowing of head, didn't open windows) while he was coming alongside me, that is not there in the video. He continued to wave me down even after that because he just wanted to create a ruckus. To keep the video brief, I omitted all of these.

Regarding the "losing traction" bit, yes, given the road condition bringing the car to a 0 from 30kph (in the distance when I noticed the puddle) would have led to a certain skid which I wanted to avoid. There is no guarantee for the car to have prevented a splash as well. I'm not being "holier than thou" I know it is frustrating to have water splashed and it is to some extent my fault in the judgement call I made (which is my takeaway from the experience).

But the underlying point is, given weather and road conditions, some of these incidences are beyond our control and losing the cool to a point of smashing someone/their vehicle with a rock is plainly stupid.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 20th December 2022 at 17:34.
krishnakumar is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks