Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 17:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests again

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I accept that a modern monocoque like the XUV (at 1700+ kg) is probably safer than the old Bolero. On the other hand another modern monocoque like the B-RV, with dimensions more or less comparable to the XUV, weighs in at 1265 kgs! I'm afraid with all the mental gymnastics at my command, I find it difficult to accept that the B-RV is safer! And despite all the jargon that the boffins at most of the mass production auto MNCs come out with about their cutting-edge metallurgy etc, I have always taken it all with a pinch of salt! The Volvo S60, a contemporary moncoque from a mfr. with a formidable safety record (which has comparable dimensions to the XUV and the B-RV) weighs in at 1500+ kg. So, while it may hold good to an extent, I find that for me, the jury is still out on the new mantra that more wt = more momentum, but not = more safety!
Let's say two similar cars, one >1500KG and one ~1000Kg (with same levels of safety equipments like airbags etc installed), get into a panic high speed cornering maneuver, the heavier one will most definitely be more prone to roll over (and once rolling over, more difficult to stop rolling) due to higher momentum. While, due to airbags etc, the passengers might still get out safely. But, tell me, will the car be called as SAFE compared to the lighter one, if it is more prone to get into accidents?
Old 16th May 2016, 17:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Let's say two similar cars, one >1500KG and one ~1000Kg (with same levels of safety equipments like airbags etc installed), get into a panic high speed cornering maneuver, the heavier one will most definitely be more prone to roll over (and once rolling over, more difficult to stop rolling) due to higher momentum. While, due to airbags etc, the passengers might still get out safely. But, tell me, will the car be called as SAFE compared to the lighter one, if it is more prone to get into accidents?
The inherent weight of the car has nothing to do with roll over. In fact most high end cars have ESP which is an active technology designed to prevent rollover.

What definitely matters though is how high the center of gravity of the car is and how well the suspension and chassis of the car is sorted out.

Also I own both a Volvo and a Honda - trust me there is no comparison between the two. Just touching and moving the door itself would give you enough of a clue which one is built to a price and which one ain't.

The Honda or for that matter pretty much any other car you name including the big three germans feel like tin cans compared to the solidity of the Volvo. I for sure know which one I'd trust my life with.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 16th May 2016 at 17:48.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 18:55   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Adding to the above, in case of a head on collission, the heavier car will 'push' into the the lighter car and come down more heavily on the occupants of the lighter car, hence inflicting more damage.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 16th May 2016, 19:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

An old video on fifth gear

And a Smart Vs E Class

asr245 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 19:55   #35
BHPian

While watching the above videos, YouTube suggested another video. Sharing the link. Considering some of the tin cans running on our roads, people may just feel "Might is right".

sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 09:49   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The inherent weight of the car has nothing to do with roll over. In fact most high end cars have ESP which is an active technology designed to prevent rollover.

What definitely matters though is how high the center of gravity of the car is and how well the suspension and chassis of the car is sorted out.

Also I own both a Volvo and a Honda - trust me there is no comparison between the two. Just touching and moving the door itself would give you enough of a clue which one is built to a price and which one ain't.

The Honda or for that matter pretty much any other car you name including the big three germans feel like tin cans compared to the solidity of the Volvo. I for sure know which one I'd trust my life with.
That's why I said, TWO SIMILAR CARS. One can't compare a volvo with an alto. Two similar cars, with similar safety equipments, and only big difference in weight. What I meant to say, is, if only weight is the differentiator, heavier car will be more likely to get into an accident.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 10:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
That's why I said, TWO SIMILAR CARS. One can't compare a volvo with an alto. Two similar cars, with similar safety equipments, and only big difference in weight. What I meant to say, is, if only weight is the differentiator, heavier car will be more likely to get into an accident.
Glad that you made it clearer - I assumed it was a blanket statement as that is what it seemed from your original response. This I do agree to!
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

About time. They should pick the top selling cars & test as the top 10 usually account for ~60-70% of the total car sales.

I am waiting with bated breath & hope to see the results for India spec BALENO, as I have been eyeing it since its launch but was waiting for NCAP test results of the India-Spec one.

Yes, overall sales haven't really changed much but a few people have taken it seriously. In my friend circle itself atleast 3 people cancelled SWIFT/Alto booking after the previous result('0' rating). And although I have more or less finalized to upgrade to Baleno , will not put in my money unless I get to see the results. I know the minuscule number of folks(whose purchase decision got affected due to the result) barely matter to the Marutis & hyundais of the world, but to me my family's safety is of paramount importance & would like to go for a relatively safer built car. Afterall 'my life(& money), my choice'

Last edited by SoumenD : 17th May 2016 at 12:11.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:40   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Tests results of the 7 cars tested by Global NCAP. ( Crash Videos and report in the below link)

Quote:
Five models rated as zero star. The Renault Kwid, Maruti Suzuki Celerio, Maruti Suzuki Eeco, Mahindra Scorpio and Hyundai Eon all showed low levels of adult occupant protection.
Quote:
The Renault Kwid was tested in three versions, including one with airbags, but each was rated as zero star for adult safety
More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-table.jpg

KWID (I) NO AIRBAGS

Renault KWID

Quote:
Global NCAP tested the standard version of the Kwid without airbags. It scored zero stars in adult occupant protection and two stars in child occupant protection. The collapse of the structure in the passenger compartment and the lack of airbags explained the poor result.
Following safety improvements Renault proposed that Global NCAP test an updated evolution of the Kwid in production from early April 2016. The car was tested with and without an airbag.

Quote:
The new Kwid without an airbag scored zero stars in the adult occupant protection and two stars in child occupant protection. The structure did not collapse however it was rated as unstable and that it could not withstand further loadings
Quote:
The new Kwid with the addition of driver airbag was also tested. This version also scored zero stars in the adult occupant protection and two stars in child occupant protection. The structure was the same as the new KWID without airbags but a high compression in the dummy chest area explains the low score
Renault has confirmed that they will implement further improvements to the KWID and Global NCAP will test these new evolutions in forthcoming crash tests.

The different versions of the Kwid are summarised below:

Kwid (I) tested without airbags
achieved zero stars for adult protection
18,091 units produced
(until VIN No. VIN MEEBBA005G1323780)

Kwid (II) not tested
Estimated 25,000 units produced from January 2016
(from VIN No. VIN MEEBBA005G1323781)

Kwid (III) tested with driver airbag and without airbags
both versions achieved zero stars for adult protection
5,000 units produced from April 2nd, 2106
(from VIN No. VIN MEEBBA005G4350297)

Kwid (IV) yet to be tested by Global NCAP
produced from May 9th 2016
(from VIN No. MEEBBA008G5362695)

http://www.globalncap.org/zero-stars...p-crash-tests/

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2016 at 17:25. Reason: Adding videos :)
volkman10 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:46   #40
BHPian

From the Global NCAP website (http://www.globalncap.org/zero-stars...p-crash-tests/)

Quote:
EDITORS NOTE:
As a result of Global NCAP’s SaferCarsforIndia crash testing Renault has sought to improve the safety performance of the Kwid. Four versions of the Kwid have been produced with different safety features, with the fourth only recently released and yet to be tested by Global NCAP.
Despite the safety improvements Renault has sought to introduce all of the versions tested to date have been rated as zero star for adult protection.
The different versions of the Kwid are summarised below:
Kwid (I) tested without airbags
achieved zero stars for adult protection
18,091 units produced
(until VIN No. VIN MEEBBA005G1323780)
Kwid (II) not tested
Estimated 25,000 units produced from January 2016
(from VIN No. VIN MEEBBA005G1323781)
Kwid (III) tested with driver airbag and without airbags
both versions achieved zero stars for adult protection
5,000 units produced from April 2nd, 2106
(from VIN No. VIN MEEBBA005G4350297)
Kwid (IV) yet to be tested by Global NCAP
produced from May 9th 2016
(from VIN No. MEEBBA008G5362695)
Renault seem to be aware for some time now of how unsafe the Kwid is. I wonder if the attitude of the Renault is colonial...

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 17th May 2016 at 12:49.
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:54   #41
BHPian

And for all those, including myself, who thought the Mighty muscular scorpio was indestructible, look at the video. Very sad to see the roof caving in, though the A pillar seem to be intact.
chandras1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:58   #42
Team-BHP Support

Shocking and only significant result for Scorpio. Body shell unstable!

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-1463470105960.jpg

That said, I would have liked it if they had XUV/ TUV tested instead.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th May 2016 at 13:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 13:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Heh unsurprising really - all India manufactured cars cut corners in terms of safety.

This just proves that most of us are travelling in these death traps on wheels.

Until someone like Global NCAP comes out and exposes these things, stuff will not change.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th May 2016 at 13:18.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 13:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Kwid I Vs Kwid III

Wow, what about the customers who bought the first version.

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-screen-shot-20160517-9.54.15-am.png

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-screen-shot-20160517-9.54.29-am.png

Kwid I (No Airbags):

Kwid III (No Airbags):

Kwid III (Driver Airbag):

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th May 2016 at 17:46. Reason: Adding videos too :)
ecenandu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 13:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Heh unsurprising really - all India manufactured cars cut corners in terms of safety.

This just proves that most of us are travelling in these death traps on wheels.

Until someone like Global NCAP comes out and exposes these things, stuff will not change.
The tests were done with seat-belts on for both front & rear passengers. Imagine the case without seatbelts, which is the norm on our roads.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed