Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 20:45   #91
BHPian

Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Hi Arvind,

Wish your son a speedy and full recovery.

I was planning to buy XUV for safety reasons as it claims most of the features. I think learning from this thread is very clear, No M&M vehicle for me or family ever.

Going by the number of complaints about non deployment of airbags, I am beginning to doubt if there are any installed in the car at all.

So the search for safe family traveler continues.

Last edited by SDP : 10th August 2018 at 09:41. Reason: minor typo
CarJunki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 21:33   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Agree - Vouching for the XUV safety is out of question.
You are so right. I am appealing and trying everywhere. It's time that the Indian consumer is stopped being treated as a Guinea pig to try and test at the cost of their own lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Praying for your son's fully & timely recovery.
I experienced similarly in 2016 and reported it to the service workshop. Their response is always without answers and pathetic. It must be by chance it happened. So do they expect us to do the death well to prove?

Last edited by ampere : 26th July 2018 at 08:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged
arvindb4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 22:36   #93
BHPian

Hi Arvind, You mentioned that you had already reached out to higher ups and Anand Mahindra. Would it be possible to share how the conversation went? It is okay if it is something you do not want to share in public for now.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 22:41   #94

This is indeed a hair-raising incident. Goosebumps ran down my throat upon seeing the battered wreckage of the car in question, as well as the stark absence of deployed airbags.

Although I'm not an XUV owner, I'm having renewed dilemmas about the safety condition of my 11 year old car...

I wish all the best for your son's health, and my heart is with you at this difficult hour.

That being said, I'd like to point out that the carcass of the damaged vehicle is often times the most important piece of evidence in many crash investigations and inquiries. As other fellow BHPians have pointed out, I feel securing the remains of the XUV would be of paramount importance going forward in order to avoid any tampering of evidence. That way, in the future, even if some third-party investigation takes places (international inspectors not being ruled out), at least they'll have solid evidence to build upon.

Right now, from a technical perspective, the parameters of the crash and the damaged vehicle appear to be the most powerful tools one can harness in building up an irrefutable, objective argument regarding the vehicle's dangerous deficiency of safety characteristics.
pearce634 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 07:40   #95
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV-500 W8. Severe crash & not a single airbag deployed.

Even if any occupants in the car does not amount to anything in life, the vehicle in question must safeguard its occupants. That's the whole idea behind buying a car with airbags and safety tech!

Wish your son a speedy recovery and hope Mahindra is taken to task.
johny_desparado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 10:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

Arvind mate like everyone here I wish your son Madhav a speedy and 100% full recovery. I know how it feels to see their loved ones in the hospital, it is a terrible feeling. But looking at your courage and will I am sure your son will come out of this sooner than we think.

Coming to Mahindra XUV5OO, I had read on threads on TeamBHP and elsewhere about the various issues it had with regards to problematic electronics, welding issues with the monocoque chassis, alloy wheels breaking, etc. I feel it is a half-baked product from Mahindra like their other offerings. For example: Mahindra Thar: A million+ rupee vehicle whose parking brake does not hold the vehicle in place and let's it roll even when engaged, Mahindra KUV1OO: A terrible petrol engine with dubious quality, Mahindra TUV3OO: An erratic AMT with a mind of its own(can be life threatening while doing moderate to high speeds), and many more such issues on their other offerings. All this happens due to apathy of the Indian junta, least bothered Government agencies, lack of Automotive Safety Standards and Certification companies in India, etc.

Last but not the least is due to the protection they enjoy due to Government policies to protect domestic manufacturers from foreign companies. I reckon what will happen to the likes of Mahindra if Government allows foreign car makers to launch their cars in India with limited restrictions like Gulf and other Western countries. I know it will affect our domestic companies and our economy, but it will teach a lesson or two to companies like Mahindra for shortchanging their fellow countrymen by giving them half baked products.

May the almighty give Madhav, you and your family all the strength and courage to overcome this incident and live your lives like normal how it was before.

I am sharing this thread with one of my family members who has a 2017 model XUV5OO and was looking at selling it off. This thread will help him cement his decision.
navin_v8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 10:41   #97
BHPian

Very sad to hear about it Arvind. Hope your son recovers soon. while we discuss on what prevented airbags from inflating, shouldn't Mahindra (read Anand Mahindra) have the courtesy, sense of compassion to atleast issue a suo moto investigation into it and help their customer in times of distress? Have we come to a point where it's only business and nothing else matters?

Great brands have real empathy towards the community and it's customers. Mahindra would be better of to offer unconditional help (moral and financial) in such instances and believe me it will go a long way in gaining trust and respect.

Reputation loss is the biggest intangible and it takes decades to built it. If Mahindra guys are listening, it's your time to come forward and own it.
LeoMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 11:31   #98
BHPian

Hi Arvind,
I'm extremely sorry for the events that occured and hope and pray that your son does a complete recovery.

Please let the TBHP community know anyway in which we can use the power of numbers help you. Whether this is by signing your petition on Change.org, Avaaz or supporting you on social media. Given that Anand Mahindra is active on social media, I believe this should force him to intervene, if he hasn't already. It would be helpful if you could also include all the other XUV owners who've faced a similar case of airbags that didn't deploy on your petition too. I believe in such a time we should also try to enlist all possible help. So if possible try to get the attention of the influential people in Indian automotive industry or journalists. As TBHP is rightly offering you its full fledged support, someone might know someone influential.

Irrespective of whether this is a one-off case or has happened multiple times with Mahindra, if I'm not mistaken they're liable. Keep that car in a safe place where the evidence should not be tampered with.

Also please take care of yourself too, all things considered one cannot imagine the mental pain in having a loved one injured while trying to right a wrong simultaneously.

Last edited by SDP : 10th August 2018 at 09:47. Reason: Typo
theapollohelios is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 13:07   #99
BHPian

It’s truly unfortunate to see victim blaming and shaming in the last 7 pages. Some XUV owners seem to have taken the OPs words as some sort of personal attack. Hardly the time to get defensive when someone has been hurt seriously.
reihem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 14:01   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindb4 View Post
My son is 19 years old. A very bright out of the box kid who started his first internet startup at 14 years of age. Got a almost 95 percent in boards and a scholarship. He was heading to Canada for his undergrad this summer.
It's nothing short of destroying a budding life. Production of such vehicles must stop until a mechanism is in place. It's time that Indian Manufacturers stop testing vehicles on customers.
I feel sorry for what happened to your son. Hope he recovers soon!

This goes on to show that the number of airbags available in a car is ONLY a number if there is no proper technology/sensor to back them up in case of an emergency. Looks like the number of airbags are used for inflating the value of a car by this manufacturer without calibrating their functionalities by way of proper testing.

Please DO NOT allow Mahindra to getaway with this easily.
cbatrody is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 16:40   #101
BHPian

My prayers are with your son. Hope he recovers soon from the physical and mental trauma very soon.

Regarding the Airbag deployment, Its really shocking to see that the supposedly lifesaving equipment fails when you need it the most. What’s the point of having it if they don’t serve the purpose.

Customers (in India) are taken for granted, being it is Mahindra or Maruti or any manufacture, there is a 'Chalta hai' attitude towards everything.

I feel partially we, our self are the responsible. Till now we praised Mahindra for providing airbags, EBD, ESP etc in XUV 500 and valuing safety of the customers, suddenly these accidents happens and we bash them.
But in few days, we see an accident in which the occupants walk away without a scratch and we are back to square one, praising the safety of the same vehicle.
This inconsistency in our behavior is well exploited and used by manufacturer. The 'Chalta hai' attitude is everywhere.

Hope you can show them that it's not easy to wash their hands off so easily, Lucky that this is the era of social media, Please use it for your advantage along with legal support.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 16:44   #102
Team-BHP Support

Just asking, is the air bag deployment failure a regular occurrence in case of XUV?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 18:12   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Hi Arvind, You mentioned that you had already reached out to higher ups and Anand Mahindra. Would it be possible to share how the conversation went? It is okay if it is something you do not want to share in public for now.
I would be pleased to share. I got the Moderators comment that I cannot comment directly on a Team-BHP member or manufacturer. At least that's what I could understand. So I am avoiding the overstepping. However I am shall soon find a platform where I can share my entire journey so far, including the manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearce634 View Post
Right now, from a technical perspective, the parameters of the crash and the damaged vehicle appear to be the most powerful tools one can harness in building up an irrefutable, objective argument regarding the vehicle's dangerous deficiency of safety characteristics.
The remnants are safe and secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
My prayers are with your son. Hope he recovers soon from the physical and mental trauma very soon.
Nothing is more important than my son and lives of anyone using such vehicles. I am at my end committed to ensuring that not a single life is wasted like this.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th July 2018 at 18:44. Reason: Posts merged. Use QUOTE+ please. Thank you!
arvindb4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 18:35   #104
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Arvind,

This is Sad. Hope your son has a full recovery very soon.

1) XUV 500 failing on the safety front somehow does not surprise me. It had glitch filled electronics right from the start and kept adding to it.

2) I feel the basis of my prior experience with Aria and other reports is that Hexa is engineered better on this front. But this is not about that.

3) You should sue Mahindra for INR 10 Crs.

4) Consumer court activists who pretend like they intend to help you also work behind the scenes with the company you are suing and hence are not trustworthy. I discovered that while using an online service against LG and yet later managed to get 100% refund (50k) fighting with them. Yours though is a much more serious case and a proper law firm should be engaged.

Best of luck.

M&M should have already made a substantial move towards you if they were ethical.

M&M should apologise for malfunction at their end and make a substantial financial offer to you plus commit to get to the root of this failure.

Last edited by GTO : 27th July 2018 at 16:10. Reason: typos
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 18:43   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
This is really sad to see. Hope your son recovers quickly.

Can you share some more details on what caused the accident? Haven't heard of airbags not deploying cases with XUV but would be keen to know more about it since I own one myself. Looking at the condition of the car, airbags should have been triggered but additional details will surely help.

All the best! and take care.
I have noticed that this had happened earlier also with XUV. See this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...nt-deploy.html

Mahindra should be sued for such callousness!!

Last edited by B103 : 26th July 2018 at 18:45.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks