Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 13:51   #331
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Meanwhile, Ford making the most of this news:
They can and they should. But what I dont understand is that they are not talking about any NCAP or ANZCAP ratings here but devised their own standards and claiming beyond 5 stars!

Actually the Ecosport got 4 stars in Euro Ncap earlier but I am sure the India spec one would be different

racer_7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:57   #332
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I know multiple members have commented against this, so I'm not repeating the arguments. Just want to highlight one fact.

The only reason why Datsun Redigo is received a single star for 8.36 points and Seltos received 3 stars for 8.03 points is due to the chest area. Rest is same or worse in the Seltos IMHO!
Thanks for digging this out CrAzY dRiVeR.

That's probably also due to lack of passenger airbag in Datsun RediGo. Which is clearly known to the customer making purchase decision (unlike in Seltos).

I feel the silence of other moderators / influencers is deafening, given the seriousness of this thread.
AutoNoob is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:58   #333
BHPian

What the average buyer thinks -

Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-20201112_135705.jpg
TheHelix0202 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:01   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Atleast I haven't come across a single real life instance which raised suspicion towards safety worthiness....
Chill guys, the car as as safe as the driver.
This sums up the reasoning of why the safety aspects are ignored, in our country.

This is why we still see people driving without seat belts on, with kids on the front seat. This is why we see people riding bikes without a helmet.

An there are prevalent excuses that these are not required, my use case is different. I'm a safe driver, I drive in the city only!

Folks, if you are not concerned about your personal safety, your family's safety, why would a corporation based out of a foreign land whose aim is to make money? Why would the Govt whose aim is to suck people dry with taxes?

It's your hard-earned money, please make an informed decision!

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2020 at 03:20. Reason: Fixed on request.
7000plusrpm is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:11   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, Ford making the most of this news.
An ad well made at the right time. But are these claim genuine !?

AFAIK Ford Ecosport ( Indian ) isn't tested for any safety rating. The E-NCAP rating that Ecosport received long back in 2013 internationally was 4-Stars and not 5-Star.

Currently XUV300 & Nexon has a 5 star and Brezza has 4-star rating, that's all.

Hence calling it the "Safest in Segment", " All other cars from segment are Tin-cans" etc. sounds extremely lame and ridiculous from Ford.

I request moderators to highlight this ad in the homepage and inform the public regarding the wrong facts claimed by FORD officially.

Edit : Misspelled TUV300 instead of XUV300 at first, apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
To put things in perspective, GNCAP always tests the lowest possible model offering
I guess the i10 Nios tested here was not the base variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The XUV300 is 5 star rated, not TUV.
Sorry that was a typo, now corrected and thank you.

Last edited by kamilharis : 12th November 2020 at 14:39.
kamilharis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:12   #336
BHPian

Can we stop this whataboutery please? there are only three cars in question. Lets not bring out other cars and speculate about their crash rating. As and when it will be tested, Global NCAP will release all the details.

There are about 1Lakh S-Presso, 1.3L Seltos and probably around half a million I10 (Nios and Grand are one and the same when it comes to crash rating) cars on road. Assuming 1% of them are met with accident, that's about 12000 cars. Scary when you think about the owners. I vow to never recommend these three cars to anyone until they rectify this.

Mad respect for TATA and Mahindra and VW.
RaghuVis is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:15   #337
BHPian

Pathetic showing by these 3 cars.

To put things in perspective, GNCAP always tests the lowest possible model offering. So if you are driving around in a higher model, you should note that you might have slightly better protection for your occupants.
I say might because the structure remains the same. So, if a car is deemed to have an unsafe structure, then it will continue to remain unsafe regardless of the model you buy. What the higher will probably get you is more airbags and other safety assists.

It would be better for everyone if we all stop over-reacting and current owners wanting to sell their cars pronto.

Please take these results as they were intended to be. Whenever you buy or recommend a car do so fully knowing about the safety that the car offers.

Stop saying that a particular car is the best car in its class because it has a sunroof or a touchscreen or some air vents at the back or keyless entry. Do not pick the car with the most features blindly.

Ask for the highest possible model with all the safety features. This information or change in preference at your end as a buyer will pass on through the sales staff at the dealer to the dealer principal and finally on to the manufacturers. Don't have the budget for the highest spec model? Look for a pre-owned car from an upper segment. Buy a car from a lower segment but make sure it has all the safety features.

Stop saying things like I drive this car in the city so I don't need 6 airbags/ABS/EBD.

Stop harping on mileage. Tin cans will always have better mileage because they are so bloody light!

GNCAP does these tests to educate you as a buyer as to what you are getting.
These tests are not for bragging rights.
Tata and Mahindra have given us safer cars. They don't need to be applauded. We bought their product and we deserve to be safe inside it.

Remember, we don't deserve better cars if we don't ask for them in the first place.
veedub89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:19   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post

In that sense no two wheelers should be running on the road.
A two-wheeler buyer is already aware of the risks that come with this uncovered form of transport. The large portion of the Indian middle class move from a 2 to a 4 wheeler because of the added safety component that comes along with it. A customer who pays 15-20 lacs for a relatively premium offering expects all the important characteristics of a sub-10 lac car to be already included in that car.

If a Tiago/Altroz can offer a 4/5-star rating at their price point, it is only fair for a Seltos customer to assume that this car would be as safely built as (if not more) that the above mentioned cars and that is why there is this disappointment.
AutoConsultant is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:23   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post

Currently TUV300 has a 5 star and Nexon/Brezza has 4-star rating, that's all.
The XUV300 is 5 star rated, not TUV. Fineprint tells us that the XUV300 is the safest Indian car tested by GNCAP till date.

Altroz and Nexon are also rated 5 star.

Marazzo and Tiago get 4 stars.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:25   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, Ford making the most of this news:
Extremely irresponsible and misleading advertisement. By such a campaign Ford is doing exactly the opposite of what standardised crash tests aim for: creating awareness among the consumers to ask for cars proven to be safe. A nice sounding thud doesn’t mean a safe car, it just leads to a fake sense of security.

If they are so confident of their product, why haven’t they sent their EcoSport for crash testing in these 7 years it has been on sale?

I would also like to remind Ford of this:

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 12th November 2020 at 14:55.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:27   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Am surprised how the Ertiga has scored better in occupant and child safety than the Seltos. Does that essential mean that the XL6 is also better in safety compared to the 2 air bag equipped Seltos?

It was a little surprising that the Ertiga based on the same Heartect platform scored better than the Wagon R and the rest of the cars on the same platform. However i think it had to do with the cost factor as well. The Ertiga is built as a seven seater and is priced higher,so it would naturally be a littlle stronger than a hatchback with some better strengthened components. That the new gen Ertiga is stonger than a Seltos is a surprise but also remember that the Ertiga for Indonesia tested in ASEAN NCAP has scored 4 stars. So it just proves that the Heartect Platform can be engineered sufficiently if the manufacturer is willing.

Even the India Spec Ertiga Platform was rated as borderline unstable, which means it could be strengthened sufficiently if the manufacturer wills. Regarding XL6, its a Jazzed up Ertiga but i guess Shashi had mentioned that its components are different and are imported from Japan . Also the XL6 claims to be having Suzuki TECT body , which the Brezza also has . Suzuki does not advertise the TECT for the Ertiga. There is a possibility that the XL6 might be a little bit safer than the Ertiga but it definitely is not lesser.

Anyways , anybody looking at the Seltos should now look at XL6 . Its a fantastic value for money proposition and at least its brakes will not fail at a critical moment.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th November 2020 at 15:02. Reason: Fixing the quote tag
Shwet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:27   #342
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Currently XUV300 has a 5 star and Nexon/Brezza has 4-star rating, that's all.
The Tata Nexon was India's first 5 star rated car which was crash tested by GNCAP.

Last edited by OSH : 12th November 2020 at 14:30.
OSH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:28   #343
BHPian

Taking the Seltos discussion forward, I decided to check the crash test results on Global NCAP's website, and the results are truly appalling.

- When it comes to Adult Occupant Protection, cars like the Renault Kwid and Datsun Redigo have got higher scores than the Seltos! Keep in mind that these are cars that sell at 33% of the price at which the Seltos sells.

- Some other cars that have scored more than the Seltos include the 'ancient' Renault Duster, 'tinny' Maruti Ertiga, 'Mr. Cost Cutting' Honda Mobilio, and the 'Not a proper Ford' Ford Aspire. I'm in no way justifying the results of any car, be it the Duster or the Aspire. I'm just pointing out the truth revealed by cold hard numbers.

- A Renault Duster, built on an ancient platform, sold as a budget SUV, scores marginally higher on crash safety than the 'badass' Seltos. Let that skin in.

- The same story can be seen in the case of Child Occupant Protection.

Source: http://www.globalncap.org/results/
Attached Images

Last edited by Aaron:) : 12th November 2020 at 14:30.
Aaron:) is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:33   #344
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As if the crash test rating wasn't bad enough, Maruti's response is even worse

Quote:
Hi,

PFB Maruti Suzuki India Limited statement on GNCAP ratings. Request to kindly use the same in your story.

"Safety is a critical issue and is therefore closely regulated by governments around the world as they are responsible for the safety of the people in their countries. It cannot be left to the opinion of any self proclaimed party. The Government of India has recently increased the stringency of car crash test standards and made them identical to European standards. All products of the company are fully compliant with these global standards and duly tested and certified by the Government of India. "
GTO is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:40   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Taking the Seltos discussion forward, I decided to check the crash test results on Global NCAP's website, and the results are truly appalling.

- When it comes to Adult Occupant Protection, cars like the Renault Kwid and Datsun Redigo have got higher scores than the Seltos! Keep in mind that these are cars that sell at 33% of the price at which the Seltos sells.

- A Renault Duster, built on an ancient platform, sold as a budget SUV, scores marginally higher on crash safety than the 'badass' Seltos. Let that skin in.

- The same story can be seen in the case of Child Occupant Protection.
I do wonder what went wrong with SELTOS , is that the seat designs for base variants ? Or the airbag size or something as seen with the Duster ?

Anyhow it's an engineering failure and not acceptable for global top sellers like Hyundai & Kia .

If Kia/Hyundai is still confident on their tall claims on structural integrity, then they can shut few mouths by sending and scoring the highest rating with a top variant , just for the sake of news headlines.

But it's marked in history A Seltos is unsafe than an Ertiga ! What a shame .

As its speculated that Harrier cannot get 5 star rating with Jeep engine , it's a golden opportunity for MG to score a five star rating with its tiny 1.5L petrol engine of Hector, which wont be much intrusive to the cabin like a 2.0L diesel do. It will help them to mask some of the recently occured PR damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As if the crash test rating wasn't bad enough, Maruti's response is even worse
They won't change the attitude , unless they are paidback well for what they have done. I'm damn sure that if Spresso scored ZERO with an airbag at 64KMPH , the same car would have received the least score in 56KMPH BNVSAP crash test too , Government should make the crash test scores public, what are they hiding ? what kind compliance Maruti is doing ?

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 12th November 2020 at 14:52.
TorqueIndia is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks