Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 16:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests

Wow! That’s a great result for the new Thar!! Tata and Mahindra are making us proud!
Old 25th November 2020, 16:14   #32
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra. I honestly did not expect the Thar to score so well . A lifestyle vehicle and that too on a ladder frame chassis scoring 4 stars is very respectable.

I’m now pretty certain this will be carried forward to the New Scorpio and XUV500

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th November 2020 at 10:12. Reason: Maximum 2 smileys per post please. Thank you!
Old 25th November 2020, 16:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar gets 4 star safety rating by GNCAP

You need to have well thought out, solid engineering to achieve a 4-star Global NCAP score.

The Thar is essentially an "open top" model with a bolt on hard top; it does not have a welded roof like hatches, sedans and compact SUV's which gives additional rigidity. Keeping this in perspective, the 4-star rating is indeed commendable. Also notice the very less movement of the child dummies from their position, especially the rearward facing 18 - month old child dummy. Impressive.

Many congratulations to Mahindra and Tata, our very own domestic car makers thumbing a nose to the global biggies as far as setting standards in safety is concerned.
arjab is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:19   #34
Team-BHP Support

Thar is a Wrangler copy? I'm glad this ain't a Wrangler.

Take a bow Mahindra. You have now shown Jeep how it's done!

2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests-screenshot_20201125161740_drive.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:20   #35
BHPian

Both Mahindra and Tata have been leading by example when it comes to occupant safety. XUV300, Altroz and now the Thar. All have scored well on the Global NCAP tests

Indian manufacturers are more than capable of building a premium product without cutting corners. It is just a question of whether they want to. *cough* Maruti *cough*
satishv1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:20   #36
BHPian

Great achievement. It is very difficult to engineer a body on frame SUV with a short wheelbase to be safe. Mahindra achieved it and deserves respect. It is heartening to see the Thar sales figures meeting their expectations.
Cessna182 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:21   #37
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertprince View Post
Global NCAP has released the crash test results of Mahindra Thar 2020. The New Thar scores 4 Stars of safety rating and proved itself to be among safest cars in India.

Body Shell is rated as Stable. This proves that Mahindra has did a good job on reworking on the ladder on frame chasis.
Now this is good news and good commitment from Mahindra. The way Tata and Mahindra have focused on safety, it is a wake up call to other manufacturers.

4 star for a ladder on frame, frp hard top 2 door vehicle is commendable. Its a thrilling news and instills confidence to future buyers and those who are awaiting delivery like me.
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertprince View Post
Global NCAP has released the crash test results of Mahindra Thar 2020. The New Thar scores 4 Stars of safety rating and proved itself to be among safest cars in India.

Body Shell is rated as Stable. This proves that Mahindra has did a good job on reworking on the ladder on frame chasis.

Adult occupant safety is 12.52/17
Child occupant safety score is 41/49
SBR, ISOFIX and 4 Channel ABS are icing on the cake.

Attachment 2085426

Attachment 2085427
This is absolutely fabulous, if this news doesn't give a wake up call to Maruti and Hyundai, what will?

Well done to the team at Mahindra, go screaming about it, at the top of your voice.

As can be seen in both the picture and video, it's an LX variant.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:23   #39
BHPian

Did GNCAP actually purchase these THARs to test them out? Seems more likely that Mahindra took the pain to send these to GNCAP for testing.

If so, it would have been great if they had done this at launch (it would have generated more hype for a lifestyle vehicle during reviews to mention that it got 4 stars too).

Honestly, even i never expected a ladder on frame SUV from India to get 4 stars with a stable bodyshell comment. I was expecting something along the lines of a 3 star with unstable bodyshell. Kudos to Mahindra!
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:23   #40
BHPian

Wow! Congratulations Mahindra! Well done! Such good news for enthusiasts and existing customers.

Indian auto cos leading from the front. Not a great month for the tin can cos.

Maruti, you can kindly ditch your plans of pricing the Jimny at a premium.

On another note, Mahindra and Tata should strike the iron when it's hot. Seize the opportunity and drill the whole safety thing in Indians heads. Your competitors don't have anything to counter with. Sell safe cars, let the tin can cos sell air purifiers.

Last edited by TROOPER : 25th November 2020 at 16:29.
TROOPER is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Shocking comparison isn't it? Although apples and oranges on so many levels. Highly likely that all the cars that have scored 5 stars in GNCAP stand a chance to score terribly if tested by EuroNCAP specifications.
Absolutely. The organisations can't be compared as each of them have their own standards and procedures to rate the crash worthiness of a vehicle. However EuroNCAP is backed by 14 European nations, IIHS by the insurance regulation authorities of US. So their credibility is backed by the foresaid authorities too. On the other hand GNCAP is a relatively younger institution. Maybe their standards were influenced by these two, maybe not. Let's hope it's the former.

Also I don't think if the Wrangler would've fared any better in GNCAP, optimistically thinking 3Stars at most?
Abhi5868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:30   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

I work with international clients and I informed a few close associates about my purchase and sent them some pictures on whatsapp and they did not believe this was an all Indian vehicle. They said it was absolutely beautiful and for the price I paid they thought it was absolutely smashing Value for Money.

Also a new feature just came up in the infotainment called E- Manual. This was not present and there are plenty of instructive videos on this.

Oh by the way you can watch videos on the screen !
You should post the crash ratings picture again to them!

Also, the E-manual is not a new thing in Mahindra stable. Scorpio S10/S11 had it from past 5 years or so as I remember. It was to do away with the physical copy of infotainment manual (cost saving too).

As for watching videos - you should not be able to, after 10/15 kmph. This is another un-marketed safety feature generally in Mahindra. Not sure in Thar's case. So please let me know if its possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Also notice the very less movement of the child dummies from their position, especially the rearward facing 18 - month old child dummy. Impressive.
Yes, indeed. I too noticed it. Means that all the energy generated by crash is absorbed or channeled flawlessly.. Takes a very good engineering skill to do it considering the seats hard point mounts in a rigid ladder frame vehicle.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th November 2020 at 17:59. Reason: Mod note attached.
saikarthik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:37   #43
BHPian

Both the child and adult protection rated 4 stars with a stable body shell - impressive

Hope the Koreans will learn from the desi auto makers.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests-fe43784ae2b749a9b0690315bab10f7a.jpeg  

TurboGuy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

I totally dig how M&M is dishing out safe cars - XUV300, Marazzo, Thar and am sure, more in the future..
But @CD, aren't these tests of Euro NCAP and GNCAP totally different? Just curious on how does this GNCAP relate to Euro NCAP?
starter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thar is a Wrangler copy? I'm glad this ain't a Wrangler.

Take a bow Mahindra. You have now shown Jeep how it's done!
I am not sure if the Euro NCAP and Global NCAP ratings can directly be compared. Euro NCAP also takes into account side impact, auto-braking etc. unlike Global NCAP and I believe you can't even get a Thar with side airbags. So, one star in Euro NCAP is not equal to one star in Global NCAP. Infact, Euro NCAP ratings themselves over the years cannot be compared since they introduced more stringent procedures in 2020 (and have continuously done so in the past).

But nothing to take away from Mahindra, an excellent achievement indeed. Tata and Mahindra are showing the way, I hope consumers reward them as such.
dragracer567 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks