Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 20:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Attachment 2085452

Well the Jeep already said there is "Only One" Star?
Can Mahindra do a Tata on Twitter? 1-2-ka-4? 4 is better than 1!
Yeah, they can simply say,

ʺThere is only one said some,

and so we made it 4ʺ

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2020 at 04:11. Reason: SMS lingo, excess dots deleted
neoonwheels is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 20:52   #92
BHPian

Excellent effort by Mahindra!! They deserve a pat on thier back!

All these so called number 1's and 2's of this world should feel ashamed.
Off late, TATA and Mahindra have upped the game and it's only time when all others will also have to offer the best to one of the world's biggest automotive markets.

Happy days are approaching soon for us!!

Full marks to Mahindra for this feat!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:27   #93
anb
BHPian

Good effort from Mahindra. Looks like the LX version was tested. For some cars, GNCAP is testing the base version and for some they are testing the top end version. I think Isofix, 3 point seatbelts for rear and ESP are not available in base variant. I guess the child safety ratings will be much lesser for the base variant of Thar.

Last edited by anb : 25th November 2020 at 21:30.
Old 25th November 2020, 21:29   #94
BHPian

It goes on to show the Corporate focus and will. Who would have thought an off-roader with Body on frame chassis and no proper hard top would score good in crash tests? One word: Commendable

At the same time its really sad to see the focus areas of Hyundai/Kia (bling) and Maruti Suzuki.

Masses need education to look beyond bling. Engineering is not just soft touch plastics, it is what lies underneath. I hope Mahindra and Tata can start initiatives around it. By the way, we (Team-BHP) can too! (if not already done)

By the way, when is Car of the year thread starting? We have solid contenders in Altroz and Thar!
Jas21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:58   #95
BHPian

Absolutely fantastic for Mahindra to walk the talk regarding safety.

India is a proud nation and both our homegrown manufacturers have made us prouder.

Enough has been said about Maruti and Hyundai /Kia.
They will never wake up as they are arrogant enough to ignore this. But we as a buyer has one last chance to wake up and select the safest car available. Yes, Tata and Mahindra are full of niggles. But they will keep improving if we buy them in enough numbers. Remember how Safari, Sumo, Bolero, Scorpio, XUV500 kept on improving once we had enough of them on our roads.

On a side note, with so much awareness about safety going around, Toyota has a chance to relaunch Etios twins with better interiors and at reasonable price point. They will definitely sell better then before.
DrCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 22:57   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Good effort from Mahindra. Looks like the LX version was tested. For some cars, GNCAP is testing the base version and for some they are testing the top end version. I think Isofix, 3 point seatbelts for rear and ESP are not available in base variant. I guess the child safety ratings will be much lesser for the base variant of Thar.
According to his interview given to C&B today, Mr. Goenka mentioned that whatever safety features are there in the vehicle tested will now be mandatory across all the variants and Global NCAP is serious in that aspect it seems to award 4 stars to them.

Few important points which he mentioned:

1. All the variants will have the safety features as the vehicle tested from now on.

2. The safety ratings given applies to only the forward facing rear seat variants and not the side facing ones. So, he confirmed that the side facing variants won't be on sale anymore.

3. All future launches from Mahindra will have at least 4 star safety rating. They won't go down below the 4 star barrier anymore.
(Much needed assurance given to customers for all their future launches)

4. Upcoming Scorpio and XUV500, both launches will happen within the next 12 months for sure.

5. Waiting period for the Thar will remain as it is now for a few months it seems. He said that they have underestimated the demand. The production is being ramped up. So, it may take a few months for waiting period to come down.

6. Asked viewers to tag him on Twitter on whether they want a 5 door version of Thar or not. Since the Thar is no longer a single purpose vehicle and has achieved the status of a lifestyle product, maybe if enough feedback and demand is seen, they may make it. But he said that the purists will always want the Thar to remain as a 3 door vehicle.

7. Lastly, he said that they planned Thar to be a 3 star product but change in management decision to have 4 stars as minimum made it quite an engineering feat to achieve for their engineers it seems, given the weight and other constraints in place. He added that, in general the load absorption will be almost equivalent between chassis and body, say in XUV300 but here more than 75% is absorbed by the chassis alone, which, he said, was quite difficult to achieve.

Last edited by klgiridhar : 25th November 2020 at 23:11.
klgiridhar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 22:59   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
Absolutely fantastic for Mahindra to walk the talk regarding safety.
------------------------------
On a side note, with so much awareness about safety going around, Toyota has a chance to relaunch Etios twins with better interiors and at reasonable price point. They will definitely sell better then before.
I feel this will happen only if Kia/Hyundai's sales drop. And seeing the initial response to this, I don't think it will. The public knew that the Nexon was rated 5 star even as Sonet/Venue were dominating sales.
superguy282 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 23:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Excellent effort by Mahindra. Getting 4 stars for a car like Thar speaks of the company ethics and what the top brass wants. Marazzo did well in the crash tests and now Thar. Both Tata and Mahindra deserve a pat on their backs, another plus point with Mahindra is that mechanically all there cars are pretty reliable.
Old 25th November 2020, 23:02   #99
BHPian

Standing ovation!

What a brilliant news!
Where the Jeep Wrangler failed so miserably (Euro NCAP), the alleged copy scores 4* GNCAP.
Old 25th November 2020, 23:05   #100
Team-BHP Support

If you notice, in both tests, the windscreen does not even crack. Thats a real stiff body mounted on the chassis
ajmat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 23:07   #101
BHPian

Nothing short of incredible, for Mahindra to have pulled off this commendable feat on a non-luxury, body-on-frame, off-road vehicle. It speaks volumes for their commitment to safety and solid engineering

And in a refreshing twist, the much-maligned domestic twins, Tata and Mahindra, are fast becoming by-words for automotive safety in India, when all along they had to face the taunts for questionable quality.

Which is why, there couldn't be a better moment than now to inculcate the importance of safety in the indifferent, penny-pinching, devil-may-care typical Indian consumer (if not hard scientific evidence, at least patriotic pride should convert them). And rub it in to brands like Maruti, Hyundai and Kia that have fostered alternative values.

If consumers don't call them out now, these and other manufacturers will continue to equate fuel-efficiency (through flimsy body shells) and creature comforts (through non-essential gizmos) with the pinnacle of automotive engineering and customer delight

The Indian consumer needs to learn to buy a car for what a car does, not for being the most economical living room on wheels.
TAHR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 00:06   #102
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra and Tata for upping the Safety game and leading the way. This is a tight slap on the face of other manufacturers who cannot provide properly safe cars in the affordable/mass market segments.

That said, while as much as I admire Mahindra and Tata for leading the way in providing safe vehicles, their QC still remains a deal-breaker for many. Once they sort their QC issues out, I am sure cars from the Indian giants will be on the buying list of many folks.

Now addressing the elephant in the room, GNCAP testing only top variants of Mahindra and Tata cars has created quite a controversy. While I am least bothered since stars mean nothing to me if the structure isn't stable, this is creating quite a stir with other brand loyalists calling out GNCAP as biased and hypocrites and what not. Personally, I feel that GNCAP should set a standard, to either test the base variant or the top most variant only. Not only will this create transparency, but this will also create a level playing field for other manufacturers and cars.

Moreover, in that scenario, people will be focusing on the safety quotient only, and not on what variant was tested and why the other variant wasn't tested. As of now, this is only creating wars between loyalists (not fanboys, that's a word that I don't believe in), while the message of making people aware about the safety of a vehicle goes unnoticed.

Now all I need is some spare cash to go and buy the Thar (crying looking at my wallet).

Also, here is an interesting video I found on the topic. In the sea of videos of people shouting and going gaga over the results, this video provides a detailed insight in a very composed way.

Utsav3010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 01:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsav3010 View Post

Now addressing the elephant in the room, GNCAP testing only top variants of Mahindra and Tata cars has created quite a controversy. While I am least bothered since stars mean nothing to me if the structure isn't stable, this is creating quite a stir with other brand loyalists calling out GNCAP as biased and hypocrites and what not. Personally, I feel that GNCAP should set a standard, to either test the base variant or the top most variant only. Not only will this create transparency, but this will also create a level playing field for other manufacturers and cars.
This is because Tata and Mahindra are voluntarily sending their cars to GNCAP to be crash tested. In the case of other manufacturers, GNCAP has been buying the cars themselves. Having said that, the vehicle variant tested has to have only the standard safety features that are available across all variants.

In the case of the Thar, there is nothing in the top variant that will make it more crash worthy. For instance there are no points given for ESC since it isn't available on the lower variants. Similarly the Altroz also had a higher variant tested but the safety equipment is standard across the variants. This is the reason the XUV300 tested was the 2 airbag version and not the range topping variant with 7 airbags.

Watch this interview with Pawan Goenka which answers these questions -
fiat_tarun is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 01:18   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsav3010 View Post
As per Mr Goenka, in his interview, all the Thar variants on sale will have the same safety features as the tested model, as they will no longer be selling base AX variant with side facing seats. They had removed that from their website even before this test happened. So that would make tested variant equivalent to base variant on sale, from safety perspective.

Regarding GNCAP picking different variants; as per GNCAP, they pick a variant which has higher propensity to score low or fail. In this case, they chose the model with Alloys, because Alloys can transfer more impact energy to cabin.
Jas21 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 02:01   #105
BHPian

Welcome news! So happy to hear. So Thar is a beauty with brains that takes care of you too!

Well well, no excuse now. If our own company with a 4*4 and 2 liter engine selling at 10 lac can make a car this safe, anybody else can and should!

Last edited by rageshgr : 26th November 2020 at 02:10.
rageshgr is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks