Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2024, 12:54   #256
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ays7 View Post
Yes I read that, and while this does look like the investigation is finally moving in the right direction, the cynic lawyer in me says that this is just another opportunity for the Police officials to make money on the side.

Two Officers earlier associated with this investigation were suspended, because they did not inform the control room about the incident, and while accident happened at 3:00 AM, the blood test of accused was conducted only at 11:00 PM (as per reports) and not immediately.

This tells me that the events to establish the accused teen as not guilty have been set in motion then and there. What we see now is merely an eyewash to placate the general public and wait out till elections are over.

I do hope I am completely wrong and for once the law and order machinery, under pressure from sustained social media pressure do their jobs. One can always hope right!
You might be right as I'm not well aware of the loopholes in law and judiciary. As such, a general image of police is that they are always after money, so I'm sure lots of money would change pockets during this case. Election results may become a big opportunity for them as aam junta would be busy celebrating and nobody would focus on this accident (read murder).
But despite all these possibilities, the optimist in me just wishes that justice will prevail someday

Till then, lets keep hoping
Safe driving to all
sudanmohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 13:15   #257
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3lby View Post

300 word essay, not even 300 pages.
Many replies on TBHP itself are over 300 words
He can possibly just copy paste a Team BHP post and submit it to the court. It may expose him to some kind of trial for plagiarism. But he will take it any day over the current one.
Old 25th May 2024, 13:53   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
He can possibly just copy paste a Team BHP post and submit it to the court. It may expose him to some kind of trial for plagiarism. But he will take it any day over the current one.
Well there is no need for that. Using the latest generative AI anyone can create unique essays using ChatGPT and 100s of other AI writing models. There are other AI's to de-plagiarise the text from ChatGPT.
I myself got an essay written using ChatGPT on the same topic exactly in 300 words and got it de-plagiarised using Quillbot. All this in under 2 minutes.

He can paste the Team BHP post to rephrase it within seconds and still not get caught.

Last edited by Sphere : 25th May 2024 at 13:54.
Sphere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 13:54   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
All in all, I am not justifying their callous behaviors (that must have been happening since birth) culminating into this situation, but an action contrary to what is happening would appear high suspicious to me
May I suggest a contrary but possibly correct scenario. Let's say it happened as is the public opinion. The parents reach the station, cooperate with the police. Convince the child to tell the truth & face the consequences. Agree to collaborate with and compensate the bereaved families (these guys seem stinking rich! Use that money wisely). Not important, but issue a public apology. Deny the kid license till sentence is served.

After all it is rash and negligent driving, not culpable homicide (though personally for me, underage possible drinking or heading for pubs is a strict no no) pay the fines, do rigorous public service.

Now why can't this be done and why is the current behaviour being accepted as the normal!
What they are doing right now is letting the greedy law firm make money and prolonging their own agony, public scrutiny or more likely displaying their, 'entitled arrogant selves'!

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th May 2024 at 13:06.
Freespirit27 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 18:24   #260
BHPian

As I have been following this thread avidly, an interesting thing happened today.

We have been planning to go to Mahabaleshwar for a while this month before the kids summer vacation ends and the 5 star hotel which my wife selected there sent me the NEFT payment details. As I was about to make the payment I notice the beneficiary name as "BrahmaCorp". Now I am conflicted to do the payment, so I visit their website. To my surprise there is a pop up on the main page saying "We are not affliliated with Brahma Realty". Another quick search on Zauba, and it turns out that even though they are separate entities it's still owned by the other brother within the family. However with the family history I read online I guess there is no love lost between the two.
Still debating whether I should go ahead with the booking.
TheCatalyst is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 18:32   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Simple - perform a DNA test on the airbag! I hope witnesses will state the truth
Some one said it. I have been waiting for this. But you know our police is 18th century. They are experts in letting evidence fade, get worn out, misplace, get stolen, get burnt.
Why will they do this?!

Since I am sure the family lawyers will be able to coerce the judges in giving a favourable judgement let me do some wishful thinking. Hence the below!

What is a fitting punishment for such crimes?
The perpetrator must be sent to jail for 150 years. This number is calculated by the remaining age (75+75) which the young couple would have lived. Considering they both were 25 years old.
Then the father of the boy must pay the remaining income of both dead (the income the couple would’ve earned had they lived) to the families of each of the dead. This will ensure justice is done in some respect.
The father must go to jail for 17 years as he gave permission to his underage son to drive the car at that age.

Last edited by ajmat : 25th May 2024 at 18:48.
RunGaDa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 19:50   #262

With so much influence behind the cover up I doubt if the kid is even 17yr old. It must have been his 18th birthday but to reduce his sentence they have hid his real age and tried as a juvenile.
kika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 20:58   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Photo of a Porsche Taycan crashing at 64kmph into a deformable barrier. Source: EuroNCAP
Attachment 2609031

Photo of a Porsche Taycan crashing at 160kmph (as per the Panchnama)
Source: This thread
Attachment 2609033

It is open to interpretation but the damage on the latter is less than that on the former.
'In the full-scale test, the car is driven at 64km/h and with 40 percent overlap into a deformable barrier which represents the oncoming vehicle. The test replicates a crash between two cars of the same weight, both travelling at a speed of 50km/h. Two frontal impact dummies representing the average male are seated in the front and child dummies are placed in child restraints in the rear seats.' source

In the former, brunt of the impact is taken up by the Taycan and the rest by the Aluminium structure, hence explaining the major deformation.

In the latter, the left-side of the car crashes into a bike, hurling it into a Swift and subsequently arriving to a stop. Impact appears to have been borne by the left wheel and headlight assembly and considering how the wheel is connected to the chassis the impact is likely to have been borne by the same. Assuming 150kg for the bike and 160kg for two adult passengers this amounts to 310kgs of weight, a massive difference from the 2300kgs or more used as reference mass in the NCAP test.
asininite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 22:10   #264
Senior - BHPian

Every revolution in history would have been considered illegal by the laws of the time, including our own independence struggle. In many ways, India has reached that point, with the rich getting away with literal murder.

Suggesting that due legal process be followed is a joke - everyone knows how that will end. I have no faith in our police and legal systems when there is substantial money involved.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th May 2024 at 18:48. Reason: Toned down
McLaren Rulez is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 23:45   #265

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have been pondering one thought about the trying as an adult aspect of this case. Is it really a good move from the law enforcement or is there a provision to acquit the Parent when the culprit is tried as an adult?

I see only a very slim chance of getting justice served in this case, and I do hope the families get atleast a reasonable amount as compensation. Nothing can replace the lost lives, but I think it is the least these people should do.

Times like these, prove the French were right.
Old 26th May 2024, 06:18   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
In many ways, India has reached that point, with the rich getting away with literal murder.

Suggesting that due legal process be followed is a joke - everyone knows how that will end.
Any reason that we should not agree.
Salman Khan drove his Land Cruiser over sleeping poor and till date, no one is sure who was driving the vehicle. Any other situation, the Police would have used Third-degree to extract the truth (though hardened criminals avoid this service and speak up everything, sign all confessions and retract in courtroom).
The Police has no morality and their words are not accepted by the Courts.
Old 26th May 2024, 07:47   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ays7 View Post
This tells me that the events to establish the accused teen as not guilty have been set in motion then and there. What we see now is merely an eyewash to placate the general public and wait out till elections are over.
You've said it right here! After 4th June, everyone including the media channels who are jumping left and right, will jump onto elections and the outcome. The unfortunate reality is that the families of the deceased will be left fighting high and dry alone and the accused person(s) will be out on bail to commit another ghastly crime. I really wish the situation changes for the better, but sadly I don't see this happening this time.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 14:33   #268
BHPian

There are a few things that are relevant about this accident where the law was transgressed. Briefly:
1. Porsche was driven by a minor.
2. Car was being driven at a speed in excess of the speed limit.
3. The two wheeler had a driver and passenger and it appears both were not wearing helmets.
4. Minor had drinks (eye witnesses) but one cannot say if he had alcohol in the blood more than the limit. We will never know as the sample should be taken within an hour or two.

The rest of the drama is for the police, lawyers, judge, Juvenile Court etc to decide and take appropriate action as per the law.

There have been many celebrity cases in which offspring of people - mostly rich and owning performance or high speed luxury cars have been responsible for fatal accidents. The one that I remember clearly which made a big splash many, many years ago was the case of Suresh Nanda's son ( Suresh was the son of Adm Nanda who was Chief of Naval Staff). Every time there has been much hand wringing and public outcry and the lawyers have made hay. Thanks to some of these events the laws have been made more stringent.

Yet, not much difference has happened on the ground. We should ponder this carefully. We have a large vehicle population moving around in very crowded conditions. Yet every minute on the road - at least in Delhi - one can see gross violation of the Rules of Driving. It is endemic. The whole chain from Licensing to policing is rotten. Instead of taking steps to reduce unsafe conditions and actions while driving we are only mandating safer vehicles!! Yes safer vehicles are needed but much of the safety built in goes to nought when speed limits and road rules are transgressed.

We can't afford the vast network of traffic policemen required and even if we could they might just make money and let of many culprits. This encourages more law breaking and it is a vicious spiral. I don't know the answer but I suspect that a cost effective solution might be the use of technology - cameras and AI. Catch everyone on camera and take strict action to fine. Let the fine double each time. Like income tax computation and refunds this should be automated. The permanent cost will be worth it with saving of fuel, road surface probably lasting longer, lesser traffic policemen, insurance cost, medical cost and loss of work time etc. The list of savings is huge.

Like the Aadhar and UPI we have to work out our own solution. No one in the world has conditions identical to ours.
ashokabs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 08:55   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

No end to corruption limits!

Pune Porsche crash: Forensics head arrested for tampering with evidence.

Quote:
The arrests come after it was discovered that the blood samples of the minor involved in the accident were switched with those of another person who had not consumed alcohol.
Quote:
DNA tests confirmed the samples were from two different individuals, leading investigators to suspect that the doctors at the government hospital had tampered with the evidence to protect the accused juvenile.
Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th May 2024 at 08:56.
volkman10 is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 09:32   #270
BHPian

There were those of us who thought demonetisation had cured India of corruption.
How cute.

The head of forensics at the premier hospital in the city is available for a price. I can, to an extent, understand why the beat constable, the SHO , SIs are vulnerable to bribes - they work in a brutalised environment with little support from the police department where it matters.

But a medical doctor who is an HoD at Sassoon?

May God have mercy on this unfortunate land. You can have as many laws against corruption as you want, this disease cannot be addressed unless the people at the top of every institution and the ones who select them build a muscle called morality.
dust-n-bones is offline   (116) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks