Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2024, 14:16   #151
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Guys, If you have noticed that Father’s name is not yet out in any media. Any comments on this?This it self show how powerful and connected that person is. At the moment it will be projected as you read in news papers that there will be super tight case against the kid and his father etc etc…All know that we all have short memory. Slowly things will be diluted and turned in to the favour of culprit.

To take these guys on , one really needs a heavy backing.

I really hope that this case is used to set an example by judiciary and not to make a mockery.
Satkaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 14:48   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satkaj View Post
Guys, If you have noticed that Father’s name is not yet out in any media. Any comments on this?This it self show how powerful and connected that person is.

Vishal S. Agrawal of Brahma builders - his name has been out since day 2, at least in local newspapers here in MH.

All other folks, bar owner, hotel owner, local MLA etc have been named too.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 14:50   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
My 2 bits for us regular folk - Avoid being out on a 2 wheeler after 10 or 11 PM at night. Use your car or take a cab, or carpool, even if it means a surcharge. In light of your safety, the surcharge is nothing.
Absolutely 100%

I avoid riding even during early evening hours, especially as it starts getting dark. Knowing the behavior and driving style of people especially in Metro/Tier 1 cities, ANYTHING can happen on the road, and they will get away.

No high visibility armored jacket/helmet will save you in case of any impact from a drunk idiot flooring the gas pedal in ANY vehicle. I get nervous while on the way back home from the office (I ride to work on Fridays), as it is dark and expressway stretches need to be taken.
Old 22nd May 2024, 14:58   #154

Man, once I read the verdict of writing an essay, and social service for killing 2 people, I just felt a fit of rage. There was a similar incident a few years back in Hyderabad, where a drunk teenager and 4 of his friends hit the median and landed on another car in the opposite lane, in which 3 persons including a 9-year-old got killed. they placed everyone behind bars and promptly seized TGIF Banjara Hills for close to two years. The difference the Hyderabad guys are upper middle class and the Pune guy is ultra-rich. And the victims? no one cares!
Sargent_dallas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 15:23   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Also, I believe Technology can solve a lot of things. For ex, all cars should have biometric authorisation before starting. That way, no one who is not supposed to drive the car can start it let alone drive it. Also, cars should have driver cams just like dash cams to record who is driving the car and share that info with the registered owner.
Yes, I was also thinking if all the cars could have steering wheel mounted breath analyser systems to detect alcohol level in the driver and disable the ignition automatically incase of positive alcohol detection, it will provide a strong safety layer.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 15:34   #156
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

So everyone calling for harshest punishment here and on social media, here is an ethical dilema. Had the 2 people on the 2 wheeler survived due to their helmets, there would be no accidental death charge. Correct?
So they are also (probably) somewhat responsible for their own death due to a law they broke. So is it correct to put a person in jail for a mistake that someone else made?
@antz.bin - I've read countless articles and posts on the incident, and mind you, I'm not terming it an accident by a deliberate choice, because to call it so would be an insult to those who died.

You remind me of the character Ivan Karamazov, from Fyodor Dostoyevsky's novel, The Brothers Karamazov.

Ivan is brilliant, and an atheist. A dangerous combination.

His contribution to literature is the line, "Without God, all things are permitted."

Your call for an "ethical dilemma" when there is none is abominable at best and disrespectful at its worst.

If you believe the young couple died because they were not wearing a helmet and (probably) caused their own death, it is a line I pray and hope no one from their respective families gets to read.

Your post may be the saddest one I've read on Team-Bhp in the 15+ years I've been following it.
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 15:47   #157

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One important update I have received from victim's colleagues. They both used to work in Johnson's Control. HR division is in talks with Insurance Provider. But it seems that they both have been denied Term Insurance by the Insurance Provider stating alcohol in their blood. They were having party with office colleagues at a nightclub (Ballr) 100 m from accident spot. Police (as expected) was very diligent into taking their blood samples for alcohol whereas accused's blood samples were taken at 11 am.

So since both victims had alcohol (traces of) and were not wearing helmets, their Term Insurance has been denied as per the info I got. I read one judgement of Madras HC that Term insurance cannot be denied just because they weren't wearing helmet, but need inputs from knowledgeable persons about DUI and Term insurance. What are the options here for victim's family? Kindly provide any advice how to go about this so that info can be relayed to HRBP.

Regards,

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2024 at 01:59. Reason: Clean up edits.
Flyingdutchman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 16:01   #158
BHPian

RIP those souls who lost their lives. I have been living in Pune since 2004 that makes it 20 years of my youth spent. There is NO alternative to a Human Life since it is as pristine and as important than any one else's life on this Human Planet.

What has not been discussed, changed, implemented in these last years is how we as the drivers on Pune Roads (wherever they are) made any difference to the way we have been driving. Few things are still happening as of today in Pune (I stay in Magarpatta, Hadapsar for reference and have stayed in other parts of Pune as well):

1. If there are any roads, there are no proper markings (for lanes and lane changes)
2. If there are lanes, there are no followers of the lane
3. It still takes ages to create speedbumps and traffic signals whenever there is a new road, intersection created
4. Even if the traffic signals are installed, they don't ALWAYS work
5. Majority of the drivers do not stop on the RED signal or break the signal at the very opportunity they get
6. A good amount of drivers find it their birth right to use the wrong lanes to cut short distances
7. Majority don't wear helmet
8. Cops at majority of the intersections are trying their best to control the traffic that is million times larger than their combined capacity
9. Challans are raised online and majority are not even aware whether they have been penalized
10. You can still drive high speed and there are no law enforcing agencies to take stricter actions against you (Consider you getting beating on your first such instance of reckless and irresponsible driving, you will think many times doing it again)

Imagine when the town is a place where drivers are not scared in breaking any basic and/or sophisticated law(s) in the day time, there is no way one can feel protected in the night time.

We all are responsible for every death that happens due to someone's irresponsible driving.

Law will punish the accused, Govt. will compensate the victims and their families BUT we will still continue to drive irresponsibly (whoever does that) just because we and our families and friends have not been involved in any road accident till now.

I have been writing to my township administrators, Police commissioners, traffic department since last so many years to implement measures for security and safety but this thing needs a mass movement at least in Pune (of course needed at a higher level as well) so that each and everyone feels safe irrespective of wherever and whenever they drive.

My 4 year young son when gets excited to see a Ford Mustang going high speed and asks me whether he would be able to drive one here. I simply tell him that we will go outside somewhere someday where he can get trained as a professional driver to try high speed driving with mandatory gears and use his adrenaline rush in a controlled environment rather than use our roads putting lives in danger.

Our country needs to achieve a basic level of safety (both physical and Psychological) first before we should even allow gadgets that have the ability to take lives when used irresponsibly and in an infrastructure that is not built to handle them.

As far as this unfortunate incident is concerned, let's all take a break and calculate how responsible citizens, people, friends, parents, administrators, law makers and drivers and most importantly Humans we all are because if we do not do that and take action (irrespective of however small that effort might be), we will be next in line.

I mean it all starts with letting your kid take the steering wheel at a small age or may be let them stand holding their heads outside those useless moon/sunroofs when the vehicle is in motion. There is endless introspection that needs to be done.

Best Regards,
Achint

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd May 2024 at 22:20. Reason: wud = would. No SMS language please. Thanks.
achintatri is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 16:25   #159
BHPian

Would it not be possible for the government to enforce a rule to have speed governers limiting the top speed for cars in India?

When the expressway limits are set at 100 or 120kmph max, I wonder why are cars even allowed to hit higher speeds like 150kmph, potentially endangering lives.. shouldn't the risk be cut at the source itself.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 16:47   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY_PATROL View Post
Would it not be possible for the government to enforce a rule to have speed governers limiting the top speed for cars in India?

When the expressway limits are set at 100 or 120kmph max, I wonder why are cars even allowed to hit higher speeds like 150kmph, potentially endangering lives.. shouldn't the risk be cut at the source itself.
For arguments sake, let's assume the Govt restricts the speed limit of cars to 150 KM per hour. Do you think the consequences would have been different if this Porsche was being driven at, say, 145 (or even 140) KMPH (instead of 150 KMPH as speculated)?
ankan.m.blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 16:58   #161
BHPian

Is there no binding on the police to take blood samples immediately in such cases? Taking a blood sample hours post the incident is a massive blow to any hopes of getting justice. Why such an inordinate delay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya_ip View Post
Whenever such incidents in which high profile ones are involved happens, I feel that our media and journalists do not dare to ask direct questions to the concerned authorities.
Came across this on YouTube and thought of sharing. Moderators, please delete my post if inappropriate.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd May 2024 at 17:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged
sachinayak is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 17:12   #162
BHPian

With each passing day, my faith in money increases by many folds. With money power in India, you can get away with literally anything. Just that you must have enough money and the right connection.

I cannot thank my parents enough for raising me as a good citizen in a typical Indian middle class family. The values they instilled in us has taken us places! I still remember the way I was reprimanded for using cursive language when I was a child. And I never repeated it later on.

One thing I appreciate the most about the European driving license test is the sheer seriousness with which it is approved to everyone here. Driving is a privilege and not a birth right. Unlike the US/india, everyone will eventually pass the driving test, not so in EU. I cannot imagine a single parent here who has the audacity to let an underage child drive a sports car at break neck speed within city limits. The police will be on your IRVM in a few minutes.

It is unimaginable to see how a careless parent in India can give a 2Cr car to an underage son and let him drive it under the influence of alcohol. My parents would have killed me if I ever turned to alcohol being a teenager.

The case will go on for decades trying to decide if the accused was a minor or major and then courts will indefinitely delay the case and the judgement will arrive in 2060.Mark my words, the monster will get away with a minor sentence because it has gained media attention.

The parents who lost their beloved will forever be drowned in misery. I cannot fathom the pain of losing a child. My their souls attain moksha.
Simha.k is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 17:18   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
For arguments sake, let's assume the Govt restricts the speed limit of cars to 150 KM per hour. Do you think the consequences would have been different if this Porsche was being driven at, say, 145 (or even 140) KMPH (instead of 150 KMPH as speculated)?
I don't know.

If we could save even a life by having speed governers to limit the top speed of a car, would it not be worth doing it?
Old 22nd May 2024, 17:29   #164
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

Also, it seems that *the driver* was driving, not the kid. So we all know where this is heading. It wouldn't have felt this bad had the 2 people not died.
This is Whataboutery.
Do you want to twist the story like Anant Ambani case more than a decade ago?
Don’t forget there were no deaths that time.
You want people to believe that the driver was pushed to drive the car at 150kmph?
Really really Wow!!
RunGaDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 17:44   #165

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
And in the midst of all this we’re moving to this model:

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/no-n...-5711549/amp/1
Won't make much of a difference. whether the driving test is done at an RTO or at a private institution, its just lack of civic sense, chalta hai attitude, lack awareness or what, people just don't give a damn. Even educated folks break rules.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd May 2024 at 17:56. Reason: Mod note attached.
Grootman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks