Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2024, 21:59   #181

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post

I read antz.bin's comment, and do not agree with it, however, he is not absolutely incorrect. The car driver was responsible for the crash, but someone with a head gear may have survived. For example, if a Porsche ram's into a Maruti, Porsche was responsible, but a good built quality car would have prevented the damages to the people in the Maruti.
If the Car hit the motorcycle at or above 150 kmph, no amount of head gear would have saved them. If the Cyrus Mistry incident has taught us anything, it is that at really high speeds, there is only so much a hard cage and airbags could do. Even the belted driver in that case had sustained injuries. In all honesty thus sounds like we all should either buy the safest car that money can buy or not use the road at all. I get that Headgear would prevent a lot of fatalities, but at triple digit speeds, there is only so much a helmet could do, and we have everything else exposed. If there were ever a question of quality involved in this particular case, it is the upbringing of the driver and then our justice system.
ringsoftime is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 22:12   #182
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Can't help but notice how eerily similar this is to an accident/manslaughter (I believe drunk driving amounts to this) that happened in Turkey a few months ago. https://www.tnn.com.tr/turkey-news/f...erica-h39.html

Same age driver (17), Same Car (Taycan), Same background (son of influential individual) and same breakdown of the system when it comes to prosecuting the rich (boy was flown out of the country asap).

Atleast this time the media has picked it up thanks to social media uproar (and pune citizens) ... hopefully due action is taken.
sh3lby is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 22:16   #183
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringsoftime View Post
If the Car hit the motorcycle at or above 150 kmph, no amount of head gear would have saved them. If the Cyrus Mistry incident has taught us anything, it is that at really high speeds, there is only so much a hard cage and airbags could do. Even the belted driver in that case had sustained injuries.
The Cyrus Mistry car is actually the most apt example of safety precautions. They were in one of the safest car, but forgot to buckle up.
The car was only doing 89 km/hr at the time of impact, which is not that high speed.
MT_Hyderabad is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 22:19   #184
BHPian

At last some ray of hope. The Juvenile justice board, Pune has cancelled the bail of the accused and sent him to the observation home.

Seems they realised their gross mistake or due to public outcry everywhere, they did take corrective action.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...04807.ece/amp/
satya_ip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 22:57   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post

PS: Driving such a powerful car at such high speeds is not a momentary lack in judgement, it's a criminal mind with utter disregard for human life thats all around the car. Calling it a "lack of judgement" trivializes the issue, implying he is otherwise a good kid. Which is out of the scope of this discussion.
Bingo! I stay near these builders villas and have personally seen these kids zooming in a G wagon on non existant roads from their home to the arterial road
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 23:27   #186
BHPian

There is a peaceful protest planned to help both the deceased get justice, right outside PMC Bhavan in Shivajinagar on Sunday 26th May, from 10am to 1pm.

I request everyone from Pune to please join and help get justice delivered. It's only the unity of people who can defeat the power of money the builder has been using to protect himself and his criminal son.

To Mods: I Request you to please help promote this message for the protest on the forum, and encourage more people to join it.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2024 at 11:02. Reason: Please do NOT SCREAM by typing your entire post in bold
Sphere is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 23:56   #187
BHPian

Not sure if this has been covered before but Juveniles are treated differently than adults even for adult crimes. An exception was built into this rule for Rape by Minor following the Nirbhaya case. According to something I was told today by an inside person, the prosecutors/police want to work on this principle to apply the same exception to hit and run/manslaughter. I think that is well overdue and necessary! Interesting to see what will happen in this case or will it get swept under the carpet as usual (as was in the case of the Ambani kid accident in Mumbai, but he didn't kill anyone at that time or Salman Khan case)
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 00:06   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
There is a peaceful protest planned to help both the deceased get justice, right outside PMC Bhavan in Shivajinagar on Sunday 26th May, from 10am to 1pm.
The protest should be in front of the court that is located in Shivajinagar. It is the judge who is at fault for granting him bail, but because our judicial system is rotten to the core, with the arrogance of judges at a higher level and their incompetence and corruption, they should now realize that this should be treated as public anger, not contempt of court or willful disobedience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
Not sure if this has been covered before but Juveniles are treated differently than adults even for adult crimes. An exception was built into this rule for Rape by Minor following the Nirbhaya case. According to something I was told today by an inside person, the prosecutors/police want to work on this principle to apply the same exception to hit and run/manslaughter. I think that is well overdue and necessary! Interesting to see what will happen in this case or will it get swept under the carpet as usual (as was in the case of the Ambani kid accident in Mumbai, but he didn't kill anyone at that time or Salman Khan case)
Well overdue indeed. Minor crimes can be punished with community service, but major and heinous crimes like this hit-and-run and Nirbhaya case should have 20+ years in prison. Vedant Agarwal was not only driving underage and drunk, he murdered 2 civilians in cold blood. So he should face his charges as adult, not a juvenile.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd May 2024 at 11:34. Reason: Quoted post edited
Beemer1077 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 02:46   #189
BHPian

I feel reassured and comforted by the reactions on this forum and social media in general.

This, fortunately & unfortunately, feels like a Nirbhaya moment of the "Rich kid rash driving" cases.

Fortunately everyone has reacted and it's making it difficult for police & politician nexus to quietly brush this aside,

Though unfortunately, like Nirbhaya, this will not lead to any changes to society or the system.

We have had many horrible violent assault cases against women in the past few years and one very shocking one past month. There has been minimum media attention.

The media chooses to highlight a movement/event as per it's (or it's owners'/benefactor's) convenience.

All these crimes were swept aside quietly.

So even if this kid/family might suffer the consequences, this trend is going to continue unless -

The Police officers involved
The MLA involved
The Bar owners involved (true bar owners, not proxies)
The Civil authority who has been receiving complaints from locals, about these pubs, for years now

All of them are held responsible for this situation and punished/accounted for in some way.

- Slick
Slick is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 03:16   #190
Senior - BHPian

I only wish we were just as enraged back in 2013 when a rich Mumbai based Gujarati businessman's son crashed his brand new 4.5 crore rupees Aston Martin into other cars and an auto before he fled the scene in his father's convoy car. I would have loved to see the father of that kid going to jail just like this guy. But seeing as to how much power he wields with the Union govt its not surprising that the cops omitted witness statement to keep the family name clean. That case has set a precedent for all future cases involving influential parents covering up kid's accidents.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/west...238-2013-12-18
Nithesh_M is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 04:53   #191
BHPian

One of the criteria for juvies (above 15) to be tried as adults should be:

Committing manslaughter in the process of an illegal activity (such as underage driving, in this case under the influence of alcohol on top).

Just make sure they've access to good education in prison. Some dreams may have to be sacrificed, but such is life.

Last edited by Formula1 : 23rd May 2024 at 04:59.
Formula1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 07:10   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As I have said 100 times before on other threads, when my kid/s turn 18, they will start off with an underpowered car. From today's market, I would probably buy something like the Altroz 1.2L NA Petrol MT for them. Slow, safe, good-looking, practical, Tata niggles will teach them a couple of things (mechanical basics, how to interact with people at dealer workshops) and a beautifully underpowered 3-cylinder motor. I'll also install a tracker that tells me & them every time they cross 80 kmph. Kids have to start slow and learn slowly.
I personally feel that starting with an underpowered and a less computerized car helps one to become a better driver. In my case, dad borrowed my mama's beater, a 2005 Alto LX (without power steering) to provide driving lessons. He wouldn't let me touch the Grand i10 until he was confident enough that I'd acquired enough skills. And regarding your kids learning mechanical basics and interactions with people at the dealer, the FNG will be a better place. I'm speaking this from personal experience. Rather than the dealership mechanics, the FNG mechanics are usually more patient in explaining everything in detail. Moreover, kids will also learn better after getting fleeced once or twice. This will force them to become more vigilant and learn about various things related to the car.

Last edited by TurboKat : 23rd May 2024 at 07:11.
TurboKat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 07:14   #193
GTE
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
But seeing as to how much power he wields with the Union govt its not surprising that the cops omitted witness statement to keep the family name clean. That case has set a precedent for all future cases involving influential parents covering up kid's accidents.

It was not the Union government that I believe would be involved but the concerned police station which is notorious for being corrupt they 'handle' situations like this many times. Cops do whatever they can to get posted there. I have witnessed how illegality went on for 10 years before the High Court with a superb judge brought it to an end.

Last edited by graaja : 23rd May 2024 at 12:09. Reason: Fixing broken quote
GTE is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 08:54   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
If a high speed car (may be doing 100 km/hr) hits a pedestrian crossing the road without looking at the traffic, who is responsible?

I read antz.bin's comment, and do not agree with it, however, he is not absolutely incorrect. The car driver was responsible for the crash, but someone with a head gear may have survived.
@MT_Hyderabad, please help me understand how your comment is relevant to the incident that took place.

Are you saying that the young couple was at fault for being out on the road and being hit by a car driven by someone who's not yet qualified to drive and in an inebriated state at that?

I'm struggling to understand why we want to accuse the dead while protecting the culprit!

GTO's comment on any further discussions on the helmet issue dissuades me from pursuing it any further.

Allow me to ask why Marco Simmoncelli and Ayrton Senna were killed in accidents while wearing a helmet. I'm sure we both agree that both of them wore state-of-the-art protective gear.

If we have nothing better to say, let's not disabuse the dead. Their families are never going to come to terms with the loss. Let's not question the intelligence of the killed by wondering why they weren't wearing the helmet, while rushing to defend the indefensible.
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 10:11   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I only wish we were just as enraged back in 2013 when a rich Mumbai based businessman's son crashed his brand new 4.5 crore rupees Aston Martin into other cars and an auto before he fled the scene in his father's convoy car.

That would not have happened as the son was an adult. On the bright side, those mega convoys they run are to protect us from them not to bully us on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Unregistered car. RTO officer said car was inspected, but tax is still unpaid.

- Did the car even have insurance?
Moot point:
Apparently, car was supplied by the Bangalore dealer so it might have been awaiting registration completion. Ideally, I would minimise using the car until things were complete

Quote:
The only right thing that was done was there was a chauffeur in the car. But the drunk kid told him to move to the passenger seat, so he could drive.
This is the most dangerous job in the world. Rising shotgun with these kids and testing Astons on Peddar Road at night are most hazardous.

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd May 2024 at 10:17.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks