Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 23:46   #2011
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

A crazy day in Hyderabad traffic

[IMG][/IMG]

A nice free left blocked by lane hogging drivers.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm bang on the stop line.All the bikes to my left are ahead of the zebra crossing.

Is that a screen fitted on the IRVM ? Is this even legal ?The driver was driving erratically and watching the movie!
Old 28th May 2011, 01:05   #2012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The driver was driving erratically and watching the movie!
Texting and reading a book at the same time next?

Notice that driving school car in your first pic. No point in teaching the students to use the RVM --- because they aren't going to be able to see through the back window anyway.
Old 28th May 2011, 16:04   #2013
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy stopped right in the middle of the zebra crossing. The pedestrian gave a "not so pleasing" look.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00589201105281515.jpg  

Old 30th May 2011, 00:01   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This guy stopped right in the middle of the zebra crossing. The pedestrian gave a "not so pleasing" look.
Posting pics of people stopping on the zebra crossing should be banned on this thread. Else everyday i will post 2-3 pics from Pune on this.

I very rarely see all the vehicles at a signal behind the zebra crossing. Even if i am lucky and see it some day, then even before the signal is green the bikes start moving and are way ahead of the zebra crossing. Wonder what is the hurry
Old 30th May 2011, 08:43   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Posting pics of people stopping on the zebra crossing should be banned on this thread. Else everyday i will post 2-3 pics from Pune on this.

I very rarely see all the vehicles at a signal behind the zebra crossing. Even if i am lucky and see it some day, then even before the signal is green the bikes start moving and are way ahead of the zebra crossing. Wonder what is the hurry
Yes they cannot wait. Yesterday I was at Kalyani Nagar junction signal. The countdown meter on the traffic light still shows 10 sec and this indica cab wala and a tempo traveller behind me started honking. I just ignored them and waited.
Old 30th May 2011, 09:27   #2016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

I know this particular group of photos would flood the thread. I posted this pic because this particular junction is the biggest and busiest junction in Kerala. This is fully covered with CCTV cams and police all around the place. Still people try to break the law and no action is taken on them.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:14   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Honking is an instant reaction correction action of drivers in this part of the land. Even if you slow down at a speed breaker or when some one in front slows down, the bloke behind you will honk; he will take his paw off the accelerator only after that.
Another way is to flash the head lights unnecessarily from behind. Of late private and KSRTC bus drivers also started doing this. A contagious disease.
Very rightly said, this disease has even come up in Calcutta.

I have noticed drivers here who instinctively honk there horns whenever the brake lights of the car infront lights up, as if the car in front has no right to even brake for whatever reason.

As for flashing lights, forget the flashing from behind, drivers here even flash at you when they are coming towards you , for no reason. It is as if to say " get out of my way ".
Old 30th May 2011, 11:37   #2018
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
As for flashing lights, forget the flashing from behind, drivers here even flash at you when they are coming towards you , for no reason. It is as if to say " get out of my way ".
LOL!! I had this incident on Saturday.

Was driving home and in one particular section the road is dug on my RHS for about 10 meters. Only one vehicle can pass through at a time.

I am like about 5 meters from this section and since my part of the road is free I continue. A Swift coming from the opposite side flashes his lights, he is like 30-40 meters away from the dug up section. As he flashes he increases speed.

Looking at the maniac I slow down. but I have already entered the dug up section. I dont know what got into him he moved to the right into my lane. This is when he has a clear road on his left and not even in the dug up section.

I understand this fellow wants an ego massage.

I pass the dug up section and now we both are right in front of each other. He in the wrong lane and me in the correct lane.

He is fuming inside his car. LOL!! I smile and do nothing.

He gets off. Comes over to my side and says didn't you notice me flashing.

I said no you are totally clothed, I didn't notice you flashing.

Our fellow does not get the joke. "I flashed the lights are you blind?"

I replied not as much as you are. You realize you are in the wrong lane? His temper is rising.

Next he says reverse and move out of my way. I smile and say oh really?? Make me.

He fumes some more, says something, walks over to his car, reverses and shows the middle finger as he passes by.

I smile and wave good bye. That pisses him off more.

He is a CISCO employee and I have his name. I am hoping to come across him someday.
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 11:46   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
LOL!! I had this incident on Saturday.
-----
This incident must have surely got on his head. Did this happen in Bangalore? I hope he is not a BHPian.

Spike
Old 30th May 2011, 12:05   #2020
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
This incident must have surely got on his head. Did this happen in Bangalore?
Yep in Bangalore. Around the Marathahalli area where I stay.

His contention was I should have let him pass the dug up area before me as he had flashed his headlights.

My understanding is, since I was the closest to the dug up side of the road and also the fact that the opposite lane was dug up. I had the right of way over him. I even had passed the broken section by the time he came right in front of me. So you can imagine how far away he was from the narrow section of the road.

Only thing he could have done was slow down and let me pass and then pass himself.

This road hardly sees any traffic anyways.

Quote:
I hope he is not a BHPian.
I am guessing he is not. Or else like usual I could have had some nasty PMs in my inbox by now.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:27   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Yep in Bangalore. Around the Marathahalli area where I stay.

I am guessing he is not. Or else like usual I could have had some nasty PMs in my inbox by now.

Lol. I guess the bloke must have been have a rough time/ overtime issue in his office and maybe wanted to rub off some stress in this manner.

Too bad for him (good for you)that you did not participate in his "let off some steam" activity.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 12:45   #2022
BHPian

Yesterday evening returning from Indira Nagar , had to take the turn towards cambridge layout at 100 ft road. The signal was green towards domlur and red for the right turn.There was a Nano parked with right indicator blinking , I stopped behind him and turned on the indicator. A lady in scooty came through some magic back hole and some how wedged her scooter between , the non existent space between the nano and my car. By then the signal had turned red for all directions. A trucker tried to beat the signal and failed and some "dudes" in a santro stopped behind the truck. Their front bumper is parallel to my B-Pillar. Once the signal turned green the nano and scooty completed the turn and i was just completing the same as I saw the santro guy revving his engine trying to cut me through the left. There is not enough width and both had to break to avoid contact. I rolled down the window and asked him "what are you doing" . The guy rolling his chewing gum beween his teeth like a cow boy brings up his hand , i expected an aplogy but me got a finger and question enquiring what my problem was and races away. Though I am usually a defensive driver, something just snapped - Gear Down and caught him at the next junction again the moron is on the left side of the road for a right turn. I saw the space on his right side before he could move i passed him through the right . His ego hurt i could hear his engine crying for mercy, but to no avail , there is a rickshaw on left side of the road , so i too slowed and ran parallel to the auto , the guy is honking like mad. I slowed further came parallel to the Santro , gave him my best grin and off...I know i should have kept my cool and let the moron and his santro get his lesson elsewhere. But not only was he driving dangerously also behaving as though others should bear his harebrainedness.
Shouldn't have engaged in that piece of action , but somewhere deep inside me i got a feeling , the guy deserved more
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 14:25   #2023
Senior - BHPian

I think that bad drivers are not only those who drive like maniacs, but also those who do not know how to drive at a normal pace.

Last Saturday, this moron girl driving an i10 got me pissed like anything. She was driving in the middle of road (bang in the middle) at a speed of 10 KMPH. At this speed, you are not sure whether you should overtake the vehicle since it could turn anywhere. And also, you are stuck behind hoping that the vehicle might start moving a little faster. But nothing happened. She was happily driving like a snail in the middle of the road, then she took a U turn at the same speed. Traffic on 3 sides got blocked because of her extremely slow driving and u turn. Finally, I got a chance to overtake her and just had a glimpse. It was a young girl talking on the phone and driving. What a shame!!

So fast or rash drivers do not make bad drivers only. Extreme slow drivers are equally pain in the ***.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:58   #2024
Distinguished - BHPian

She was probably lost, probably getting directions on the phone.

That is no excuse though. We all get lost; we all have to look for addresses; we don't all have to take up an entire road to do it.

You can fail a British driving test for driving too slowly. I think they call it failing to make sufficient progress, or something. Some people are so scared of exceeding the speed limit that they go to the other extreme --- and fail for it. The same thing covers stopping at Give-Way signs when there is no reason to
Old 30th May 2011, 16:13   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
He is a CISCO employee and I have his name. I am hoping to come across him someday.
Wow....i wonder what "brilliant routing" he does at CISCO if he doesn't know he has to wait for the oncoming traffic.
Torqy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks