Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 16:39   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
I appreciate for you being patient for a new confused driver, I would have done the same if he was in his own car.
Somehow I just do not get the idea of these driving schools making a person who does not even know how to ride 2 wheeler, sit at the steering of a car in a crowded street.

This is a nuisance to the Traffic and I really pity the learner- I am sure its a scary and panicky situation.

And in my opinion -With due respect to all car owners, a trend which I have observed

A rash car- wagonR or an old Santro - I never understand why are they in such a hurry to prove they can drive fast.

A brat - Swift/i20 . I sure see a lot of these cars maneuver through the traffic at high speed.

The bully - A Scorpio with all black shades. He is bound to bully you on the road as he tries to forcefull overtake or push you off the road. Not to miss the Tailgating tactics.

The nuisance - The indica cabs and the rickshaw's.

I am not generailzing the car and their drivers but I somehow had this observation

with apologies to the exceptions (and there are a few), two-wheeler drivers are some of the worst drivers on the road. They are rash, bratty, bullying and nuisance all in one.

In Hyderabad they are so bad even rash indica guys can't handle them.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:52   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
with apologies to the exceptions (and there are a few), two-wheeler drivers are some of the worst drivers on the road. They are rash, bratty, bullying and nuisance all in one.

In Hyderabad they are so bad even rash indica guys can't handle them.
yesterday I encountered this thing 2 wheeler, who decided to stop his vehicle amidst a b2b traffic to answer his phone call. Now we have illegally parked trucks eating up a lane and this person had only so many neurons to decide that road ends where trucks start and stopped just before me answering his call. And when I honked he just make an irritated face and gestures me to turn around his bike! I thought of asking him to drive my car!

In the meanwhile I decided to ignore and excuse the nincompoop and started to turn around his bike, but the great Wagon R behind me could not wait and he wants to overtake me while I maneuvered around that bike and was honking at me for not budging. How I wish I have Plasma guns and rail guns on my vehicle!

Last edited by anilisanil : 14th June 2011 at 16:53.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:01   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
yesterday I encountered this thing 2 wheeler, who decided to stop his vehicle amidst a b2b traffic to answer his phone call. Now we have illegally parked trucks eating up a lane and this person had only so many neurons to decide that road ends where trucks start and stopped just before me answering his call. And when I honked he just make an irritated face and gestures me to turn around his bike! I thought of asking him to drive my car!

In the meanwhile I decided to ignore and excuse the nincompoop and started to turn around his bike, but the great Wagon R behind me could not wait and he wants to overtake me while I maneuvered around that bike and was honking at me for not budging. How I wish I have Plasma guns and rail guns on my vehicle!

The rash 2 wheeler drivers in Pune are growing by the minute. I actually fancy having a coloerd water gun attachment to my car - so I can fire it at idiots on the road.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:04   #2164
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
The rash 2 wheeler drivers in Pune are growing by the minute. I actually fancy having a coloerd water gun attachment to my car - so I can fire it at idiots on the road.
what you need is a water canon, the kind the riot police use or you could have something like the cops in the US have on their cruisers - PA system (effective use demonstrated in the movie Hangover).

Quote:
How I wish I have Plasma guns and rail guns on my vehicle!
may i suggest the rail gun from Quake III Arena
Old 14th June 2011, 22:14   #2165
BHPian

I wish I had a pair of head lights on the back of my car too - can be very useful for those morons who flashes their high beams incessantly - even at red signals or traffic jams .
Old 15th June 2011, 08:47   #2166
BHPian

Just had an incident while coming back from with an uneducated "educated" idiot driving a black getz. We honked, flashed and overtook him from the right, while he showed us his right hand, glared. I showed my hand in the same way he did, and then stop at the signal that turns into OA road, and guess what he does? Drives onto the footpath beside us and starts showing his middle finger and shouting in ways worse than a BMTC. My dad was surprised and asked me if I'd showed him my finger, but I hadn't. That guy was like 'put down your window' and started showing the finger to my dad and not to me!

I put down my window and asked him ' what are you upto when I just showed you my hand just like you did', but he made an "innocent" expression and sped off before I could even complete. If I'd had my pepper spray I would've used it well.
I didn't feel like videoing him, nor thinking about the incident or taking down his reg. no. though, as today's my 1st day at college and I dont want to spoil it.

If the Getz guy is educated enough to be reading this; even autodrivers & bus drivers are more decent & educated than you. If the same had happened with them, they would've just stopped beside on the road, or behind me, and shouted for a while ( because I assume what happened was a misunderstanding).
And in case if anybody did show me finger, I wouldn't drive onto the footpath and start abusing people.You won't be spared next time. Educated people never drive on the footpath just because they assume somebody fingered them, or if they really did.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:20   #2167
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened this yesterday night while coming back from office. I was cruising at 50km/hr and one guy speeds upto me with high beams. I noticed this since he was using 8000k HIDs and was almost purple in color. Suddenly he dimmed his HL's and I noticed that it was OEM color. I took the left lane but he didnt overtake me. He suddenly slowed and kept flashing his lights. What qualifies him here is that for no reason he kept flashing his lights. These lights were so irritating and can distract any drivers since they have low (yellow) and high (blue/purple). I waited for him to overtake me thinking it might be a bhpian (as this is the official way of communication) but he didnt have any stickers or signal me.

This would definitely distract others.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:18   #2168
BHPian

Quote:

I have seen this phenomenon a lot in Pune : Many simply dont have any patience or regard for other drivers at all ! It really gets on the nerves sometimes.

Many times, when I see a car waiting at the divider to cross or take a U turn, or if there is a pedestrain waiting to cross on a slow moving road, I stop the car, gesture him/her to pass. It hardly takes about 5-10 seconds but sometimes the guy behind starts honking like he's not p'eed in 2 days. Sometimes anger gets the better of me, and I wait for a further 5 seconds so that another 2-3 cars pass, just to irritate the guy behind (need to work on this, probably getting a better music system will help).

Just giving a little space to your co-drivers and pedestrians can go miles in helping the almost unbearable traffic situation in this city.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:26   #2169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Happened this yesterday night while coming back from office. I was cruising at 50km/hr and one guy speeds upto me with high beams. I noticed this since he was using 8000k HIDs and was almost purple in color. Suddenly he dimmed his HL's and I noticed that it was OEM color. I took the left lane but he didnt overtake me. He suddenly slowed and kept flashing his lights. What qualifies him here is that for no reason he kept flashing his lights. These lights were so irritating and can distract any drivers since they have low (yellow) and high (blue/purple). I waited for him to overtake me thinking it might be a bhpian (as this is the official way of communication) but he didnt have any stickers or signal me.

This would definitely distract others.
Dude that's probably a T-BHP spotting!

A lot of us try to signal spotting another member by flashing our lights which is silly to begin with, but in all honesty, how else do you let the other guy know he's been spotted? I had something similar happen to me and obviously I ignored the flashing and the guy sheepishly owned up to it on the Stickers thread. We had a bit of a laugh over it!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 12:51   #2170
BHPian

Circus On The Go!!

While we are talking about some 2-wheelers causing nuisance on the roads, I encountered one of them on the way to work today morning.

As usual, I was the pillion rider on the bike which my brother rode and we were on Poonamallee high road after turning left from Anna Arch signal towards Ampa Mall Signal (Skywalk). This road is always buzzing with heavy traffic. The Skywalk signal was green and everyone was rushing past to make it through the signal, else it's a wait for at least 70-80 seconds. But right in the middle of the road we have a 2-wheeler who is busy talking on the phone, not worried about the fast moving vehicles around him. He's got his helmet on the tank and the left hand is busy holding the phone. My brother starts honking from behind continuously and this guy cooly takes his right hand off the handlebar and signals to overtake him. Now, he's performing a dangerous stunt in the middle of a busy road with both his hands off the handlebar! I got irritated and waved my hand at him and pointed towards a signboard which was put in place for exactly idiots like him and also had a picture of a guy doing the same 'circus stunt' - DO NOT USE CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING!

Just don't understand why people are so careless and playing around with their's and other roadusers' lives!!
Old 15th June 2011, 14:10   #2171
Senior - BHPian

You might not believe this, but it is true. I saw it just now, driving back home for lunch from office.

Quiet residential street, I am doing around 30-40 kmph. I see a guy on an Activa, no helmet, driving really slowly and very very unsteadily. Weaving left-right at random. I could not overtake him because of his unsteady and weaving driving. When we were approaching a T-junction, he almost stopped on the extreme left side. I overtook him and looked at him.

Want to guess what he was trying to do while riding his scooter?

Light a cigarette!!
Old 15th June 2011, 14:30   #2172
BHPian

Just saw this classic example of a Real Bad Driver in an Exotic. Driving on the wrong side of the road.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver-x6.jpg

Took this off the Gujarat Imports Page http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post2392385

Last edited by traveloholic : 15th June 2011 at 14:32.
Old 15th June 2011, 15:23   #2173
BHPian

@^^ I have seen many drivers like in the above case who would drive on the wrong side of the road to take a right turn. Many times seen buses do this to make it 'just in time' before the signal turns red and vehicles behind the bus start speeding and follow the bus on the wrong side as well. In doing so they block the oncoming traffic and scare off the vehicles who would be taking free left turn on the opposite side.
Old 15th June 2011, 16:30   #2174
Distinguished - BHPian

There are some junctions that seem to turn one-way while they have the green signal. Just --- some sort of communal brain just determines it will be that way!
Old 15th June 2011, 17:03   #2175
Senior - BHPian

This is my anticipatory bail plea.

I had to drive aggressively from office (Manyata) to home (near Meenakshi Temple) today in order to make it in time for a meeting. Got delayed because of a phone call, for which i had pulled over.

So, i was overtaking from left as well as right, honking more than usual, not keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front and sneaking into gaps where i found them.

What i did not do however was drive on the wrong side of the road, or stop in the left lane at a traffic light when i had to go straight and it was a free left. Also did not make any eye contact with anyone, just so that i dont rub people the wrong way even more!

Apologies if any TBHPian was caught by surprise by a silver-greyish OHC today. I hope i didn't cause too much inconvenience.

Amitoj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks