Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:35   #2266
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Saw two law enforcers breaking the law.

1) High Court Judge - Traffic was held up and saw this judge's car taking the wrong lane and finding his way out of traffic.
2) Police patrol jeep - Red signal at the junction and a long line of vehicles. Seeing this the jeep takes the wrong lane (in spite of a median being present) and waits in front for the green signal.

They are supposed to enforce the law and not break it. Since they were doing this, I noticed many others following them and stopping behind their cars. I wanted to click the snaps but couldnt since my phone's battery ran out.
The judges are worse than netas in breaking the rules and in arrogance. Many (if not most) are thoroughly corrupt.

OTOH Police patrol cars are allowed to go on the right lane in case of emergencies - I'm actually surprised the car stopped at the red signal.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:59   #2267
BHPian

This jerk thought of taking a shortcut by going in the opposite lane (he must be thinking he is on 2 wheeler and will get away quickly) and in the process managed to create a massive pileup on 28th main eastend circle in jayanagar 9th block yesterday at 6:30pm peak time. There was a cop however he chose to be a silent spectator
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00024201106221819.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2011, 12:52   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
...I find some of the replies rather shocking...
I don't want to offend anyone, but I think it is not a question of habit or not being used to the side view mirrors...
there are blind spots even when using the rear and both the side view mirrors....It is really important for everyone's safety.
I am in complete agreement.

There is a common misconception, being blithely propagated here in this thread, that in the 'good old days' wing mirrors were not needed and the inside RVM was enough.

I am in my mid '50's driving on public roads since 1972/73, and I can assure all people of these modern days that this is a False notion!

True, cars in those days were not equipped with wing mirrors, not even as an option, but that does not mean that the inside RVM was always enough. There were certainly times when it wasn't enough, and the only way out was, as you have very correctly said, the head check. Or, a solution just as common: the driver would ask the passengers to take a "dekko" behind and give the driver the 'all clear'.

Another excuse for not using ORVM's, which was posted somewhere on this thread, is that the person did not use the ORVM's because of likelihood of damage! Really, no intention to offend, but I consider this weird coming from senior members of T-BHp.

I have had left and right ORVM's since 1995 with my first new gen car, the M800; followed by Esteem, Accent, Ikon, and Fiesta, in that order.

All my cars post 1995 have had both ORVM's always open while driving. Not because I'm a great driver, but simply because it is required.

In these 16 years, I have lost 3 ORVM's.

First, my Esteem which was valet parked at Hotel Gateway on Residency Road, was returned to me in a badly damaged condition. Not only the mirror, but the front fender too was badly side swiped. The valet said the car was hit by another while it was parked.

Second was my Accent, which was parked on a quiet street. A few young boys were playing on the road, and they had pulled out the mirror from the housing. I couldn't judge if it was just vandalism or an accident, so I didn't say anything. But Hyundai guys fixed the mirror back in the housing with Araldite, at no cost! (But, that was not the official fix, this was a favour from the SA.)

Third, in Coimbatore in 2005, my Ikon was hit by an idiot motorcycle rider while I was turning right at a junction with my right indicator flashing. The guy's excuse, "Sorry Sir, I didn't see your indicator". At 9.30 pm!

16 years and three lost mirrors. Even at 800 bucks a pop, that's worth keeping them open.

In case you didn't see this, I am linking my earlier post on RVM's and helmets in the 1970's, hope I'm not being immodest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
...Capitalson, here is my own take, from the 1970's...
I am nearly 56 years old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
It may not be doing of a bad driver anyway - for example a bike might have been parked on the curb
I agree to this too. I can give my own example.

In my club, I frequently see some cars parked in a cock-eyed manner, usually the big or fancy ones. Such times I search for another slot where I can park correctly. But, when the parking is full, I have no choice but to slide my car in the available slot, also in the same cock-eyed manner as the car next to me, because that's all the space I have. Now, when the car next to me has moved out, it would appear that I have parked stupidly. Some passing guy might think, "Sheesh! A Fiesta 'S', and the guy can't park for nuts!'.

And if a TBHP shutterbug happens to take a pic of that I would look like a complete idiot, wouldn't I? See my point?

Some discretion is advisable here.
Damu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:16   #2269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
I am in complete agreement.

There is a common misconception, being blithely propagated here in this thread, that in the 'good old days' wing mirrors were not needed and the inside RVM was enough.

Another excuse for not using ORVM's, which was posted somewhere on this thread, is that the person did not use the ORVM's because of likelihood of damage! Really, no intention to offend, but I consider this weird coming from senior members of T-BHp.

16 years and three lost mirrors. Even at 800 bucks a pop, that's worth keeping them open.

In my club, I frequently see some cars parked in a cock-eyed manner, usually the big or fancy ones. Such times I search for another slot where I can park correctly. But, when the parking is full, I have no choice but to slide my car in the available slot, also in the same cock-eyed manner as the car next to me, because that's all the space I have. Now, when the car next to me has moved out, it would appear that I have parked stupidly. Some passing guy might think, "Sheesh! A Fiesta 'S', and the guy can't park for nuts!'.

And if a TBHP shutterbug happens to take a pic of that I would look like a complete idiot, wouldn't I? See my point?

Some discretion is advisable here.
Hi Damu Sir

Completely agree with your view infact I was one of those guys who did not use the ORVMs previously but after becoming a T-BHP fella, religiously use them both to full capacity.Reasons as below
seeing so many minor accident of fellow drivers due to absence or non use of ORVMs
ease of overtaking and road control and helps lane changing without trouble
Makes it easier for straight parking in tight slots
being warned of some bright smart jerk cutting from the left (common in Chennai)
Fear of being caught on the vicious camera of some of our T-BHP mates(not in specific but for example IRONH4wk, whilst am in BLR)

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 23rd June 2011 at 16:18.
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:37   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu
Maybe not a big deal at 800 bucks a pop, but when it is more like 5K a mirror (some of us with SGP parts), I would be wary. I can afford 5K, but this is not about affordability because given the way Chennai bikers/cyclists/autos squeeze into places where they cannot get in, I would be spending 5K every few months. Reason why I do not use the left wing mirror in the city - the right one's fate I can mostly control, so I use it. Since I learnt driving on an '85 M800 which did not come with a left ORVM, I am used to driving without one and the occasional head-check helps things. And anyway, even with 3 mirrors, there are blindspots - so finally it is the nut at the wheel that matters.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 23rd June 2011 at 17:43.
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:00   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Maybe not a big deal at 800 bucks a pop, but when it is more like 5K a mirror (some of us with SGP parts), I would be wary. I can afford 5K, but this is not about affordability because given the way Chennai bikers/cyclists/autos squeeze into places where they cannot get in, I would be spending 5K every few months. Reason why I do not use the left wing mirror in the city - the right one's fate I can mostly control, so I use it. Since I learnt driving on an '85 M800 which did not come with a left ORVM, I am used to driving without one and the occasional head-check helps things. And anyway, even with 3 mirrors, there are blindspots - so finally it is the nut at the wheel that matters.
A very useful feature now available on some cars in India. ORVMs which bend the other way on impact
Bring them on I say! No wait, on second thoughts please dont. They will end up scratching/ denting elsewhere
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:17   #2272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Fear of being caught on the vicious camera of some of our T-BHP mates(not in specific but for example IRONH4wk, whilst am in BLR)
Team-BHP: more effective than the RTO, more efficient than the traffic police!

All in the most positive way, of course. Making a difference begins with each other
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 09:12   #2273
Distinguished - BHPian

How about this? 6 mirrors in 2.5 years. Thanks to the private bus drivers out here. Also, after 2 months of purchase and careless bus driver banged onto my car damaging the left side of my car, right from the front fender to the back wheel arch. Everything was completely damaged. In spite of all this, I cant drive with the ORVM's closed.
Old 24th June 2011, 10:31   #2274
BHPian

Well I've been driving in Bangalore city for the past 6 years and yet to get a broken mirror (touch wood). I think its a matter of habit . I have had this habit for the best part of last 15 years and for me i feel a handicap if all the three mirrors cant be used.
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 12:15   #2275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hi Supreme Baleno
That is a nice handle of the Superstar.
Would like to mention that the 3 mirrors in combo normally reduce your blind spot very critically (in fact you can check the net for the how stuff works website which will give a lot of info).
Please no offence meant but in Chennai the bikes and all the things whicjh can move overtake from the left which is making Chennai equal to US of A in Driving skills.
rgds
Prasad
Old 24th June 2011, 13:21   #2276
BHPian

En route to work today, thought I had spotted a fellow TBHPian.
Let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Pic 01 : Spotting outside Reliance Trends next to Lifestyle on Richmond Road.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-01.jpg

Pic 02 : Traffic Signal outside Sunflower Hotel (already turned RED a good 5 minutes before photograph was taken). Going straight takes you to Richmond Rd-Double Rd etc and Left is Hosur Rd going towards Koramangala. To the right is Museum Rd.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-04.jpg

What I thought was the spotting of a fellow TBHPian turned out to be someone jumping a signal. He stopped first at the RED signal, then waited for a good few minutes to get a clearing from the oncoming traffic from the right side and then merged with them to the left towards Hosur Rd, while the signal was still clearly RED. There is no free left here at this signal.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:31   #2277
BHPian

When driving my i10, I use all the three mirrors whereas when I use my PP Fiat, it has only one mirror no ORVM. But still I am able to drive without a scratch in dense Andheri Traffic at Mumbai. May be because I am able to see the bonnet sitting in PP whereas in i10, not able to see the same. Some approximation always exists but to an inch, I am sure in PP. I do not know how people feel driving these two or different cars. My foot also gets adjusted for the two cars for throttle response.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:55   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
En route to work today, thought I had spotted a fellow TBHPian. Let the pictures tell the rest of the story.
Well, sad that he jumped the red light. I have been in similar situations where from behind the traffic starts honking and i have always made it a point to not budge till the lights turn green. On a couple of occasions i have stepped out to tell the vehicle behind if he is ready to pay the fine if i get caught by a cop. This makes the guy stop yapping...I guess in today's times we have to patient and keep our cool.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:05   #2279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
There is no free left here at this signal.
how did you know that? Is there a signboard saying no free left? I could not spot any in picture
Old 24th June 2011, 14:30   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk
That is a nice handle of the Superstar. Would like to mention that the 3 mirrors in combo normally reduce your blind spot very critically (in fact you can check the net for the how stuff works website which will give a lot of info). Please no offence meant but in Chennai the bikes and all the things whicjh can move overtake from the left which is making Chennai equal to US of A in Driving skills.
Indeed no denying that the 3-mirrors provide better visibility & reduce blindspots to a great extent. But they do not eliminate blindspots completely. BTW, once on the highways, the left ORVM comes out and is indeed a great help. And back home at Kerala, the A-Star and Swift have all the 3 mirrors used always - traffic is lesser there and so no worries about mirrors getting damaged.

P.S. : Snapped the Superstar off the cover of a recent book on him. Yeah, he looks cool in this getup.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th June 2011 at 14:32.

Most Viewed