Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 12:53   #4021
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Perhaps never. The problem with us is we have become too civilised and look down upon such behaviour as shameful. This is taken advantage of by everyone else like cabbies, nonsense parkers etc.
When one day they abuse someone who knows who may come out of the car and give them a nice thrashing that remind them of the spankings that mom and dad forgot to give them. This is the most decent way i could pen my thoughts on this forum.
Just my thought!
But the problem is that because of these people, we are the ones who suffer. Referring to the estilo example above, a scratch on the activa is not going to cost as much a dent on the bumper of the estilo would do. If there was some traffic police in the junction, I am sure he would have found the Estilo guy guilty as it was his duty to check behind while reversing. But what could one do when someone wants to just rush along without giving a thought for others.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:57   #4022
BHPian

One fine evening, traffic was slow and I was on the right lane. There was a break in the median just 2 metres ahead of me.

One taxi poked its nose to take the U-Turn from there. Another auto poked its nose by forming another lane to take the U-Turn!!

Now since traffic was moving slow, they start playing mind games with me.
Inching in closer bit by bit, aka Pinocchio.

Suddenly time goes slow and a suspense thriller is born. I am left with no option but to shift a bit to my left to continue!

While passing I just told the taxi-wala (because you should never say anything to auto-walas), that, why can't you stop and wait? He declared, I can't drive since I did not pass through with an inch to spare to my left for the Bus!

And then, gathering this free wisdom, I carried on with a side to side head motion, to disorganize my senses further!

Thanks teachers.
Old 4th July 2012, 18:06   #4023
Senior - BHPian

A lot of drivers on the road today do not know the difference between left and right (and need to revisit their childhood, I guess), and simply have no clue about how to keep to the correct side of the road when turning right. Maybe they drive under the illusion that they are in the EU or USA?

This is what happened to me today afternoon, at around 1:30pm. Traffic is really light, hardly a few vehicles on the road. Red car is me, orange is another car, and blue is a scooter. Dashed lines in the picture are concrete dividers.

We all start off at position 1, and move to position 2. Orange car turns left, I continue straight on. Scooter turns right. At high speed. He and I managed to stop in time, so no accident. But I swear, I could see the whites of his eyes and he had that scared "I am about to die" expression on his face.

Why couldn't he simply go around the circle?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-junk01.jpg  

Old 4th July 2012, 18:47   #4024
Team-BHP Support

People would risk anything these days, even if it's others' lives or their own, just so that they don't get delayed. Also, most of them are generally thick-headed and don't believe they're doing anything wrong so they shouldn't be questioned. This is a free country after all?

I have seen death-defying overtaking maneuvers that would make you wonder, is life really worth all this?

It's for two reasons:

- There are much too many people in this country.

- People prioritize work and egos over safety and sanctity.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2012 at 18:48.
Old 4th July 2012, 18:49   #4025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
....This is what happened to me today afternoon, at around 1:30pm. Traffic is really light, hardly a few vehicles on the road. Red car is me, orange is another car, and blue is a scooter. Dashed lines in the picture are concrete dividers.
=======
Why couldn't he simply go around the circle?
Theres a circle and a junction where 4 roads meet. Something that you have depicted in your image.
Passing through the place, I can proudly say that I am the only one with some other rare car that makes the right use of the circle, meaning taking a full turn across the circle. Once, I was waiting there for a bus and till i recollect, I never saw a vehicle making the use of the circle, be it a bus, private car, 2 wheelers and leave alone the autos!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th February 2019 at 08:46. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 4th July 2012, 19:02   #4026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
- People prioritize work and egos over safety and sanctity.
Isnt that ironic? We keep saying that Indians are conservative and prioritise savings over spending big. And then they go out and drive as if tempting their fate.
There is no senstivity on our roads. In fact there is no driving at all. Just manic hurtling down roads and across lanes.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:29   #4027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Isnt that ironic? We keep saying that Indians are conservative and prioritise savings over spending big. And then they go out and drive as if tempting their fate.
There is no senstivity on our roads. In fact there is no driving at all. Just manic hurtling down roads and across lanes.
True. Also, am not sure if anyone has noticed yet, but I see a lot of 2,3 & 4 wheeler's who don't use their headlamps at night!!! What's the idea? Are they stupid enough not to know that dynamo's charge the batteries while a vehicle is running!! Talk about saving battery.
Worst of all, it seems they take some sadistic pleasure out of it! I would really love these people to get themselves examined by a psychologist. Maybe the army should start recruiting idiots like these for suicide missions! Anyways they are taking a huge risk by riding\driving the way they do, it's just a matter of running out of luck one day!

Last edited by mb_jg : 4th July 2012 at 19:31.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:00   #4028
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

On a lighter note there is something I really wish to do on our streets to inconsiderate idiots. Enjoy the video:

HOW TO DRIVE A HUMMER IN IRAQ - YouTube
Oh man thats my new favorite video. Having a Humvee in Mumbai would give me more pleasure than owning a 458. This would make driving no stress at all in Mumbai. Hell you could probably bounce those armored Mahindras which the police use off the bumper of a Humvee
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 22:14   #4029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Oh man thats my new favorite video. Having a Humvee in Mumbai would give me more pleasure than owning a 458. This would make driving no stress at all in Mumbai.l
You said it!! A 458 will give you pleasure only when you rev hard for those short distances whereas the Humvee, if driven this way can get you sadistic pleasure every time you rear end some cabbie or rickshaw or any other and make your own way. Also you will be worried about scraping the underbelly of your 458 whereas you can just ride over the divider if you have to with your Humvee. I really think this is the answer to all the problems faced in this thread!!
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 22:50   #4030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
You said it!! A 458 will give you pleasure only when you rev hard for those short distances whereas the Humvee, if driven this way can get you sadistic pleasure every time you rear end some cabbie or rickshaw or any other and make your own way. Also you will be worried about scraping the underbelly of your 458 whereas you can just ride over the divider if you have to with your Humvee. I really think this is the answer to all the problems faced in this thread!!
I know that that was a light-hearted statement, but if true, that would make us all bad drivers.

A good driver is someone who respects every other road user, just as he'd expect everyone else to respect him.
Old 4th July 2012, 22:54   #4031
Senior - BHPian

Here i cant differentiate between a bad driver and bad passengers. This KSRTC bus was so overcrowded it was tilting to one side even on straight stretched and on curves the danger level was too high. Safety given a go by.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dangerous.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th July 2012 at 22:55.
Old 5th July 2012, 08:57   #4032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Here i cant differentiate between a bad driver and bad passengers. This KSRTC bus was so overcrowded it was tilting to one side even on straight stretched and on curves the danger level was too high. Safety given a go by.
This is something that always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And its sad to see this as a regular occurrence on our roads. When one of these buses meets with an accident then all of us take less then a second to blame the govt for it. Similar scenes can be seen in the railways with people climbing on the roof top of coaches. Don't understand when will people in India start valuing there lives!
Old 7th July 2012, 10:46   #4033
Distinguished - BHPian

This was in Bannerghatta Road near gottigere junction. It is becoming a common practice that, traffic towards NICE road has the liberty to occupy each inch of the road during the morning hours. Ofcourse there are people driving with sense too.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0200optimized.jpg  

Old 7th July 2012, 12:48   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This was in Bannerghatta Road near gottigere junction. It is becoming a common practice that, traffic towards NICE road has the liberty to occupy each inch of the road during the morning hours. Ofcourse there are people driving with sense too.
If I was in your place, would go and stop just before the tempo traveler which would compel him to take a reverse if he has to move forward. Some people don't learn the right way.
This is the condition in all the parts of the country! Have witnessed this in Maharashtra as well as Gujarat.
Old 7th July 2012, 18:44   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Had a heart in mouth episode yesterday. Was waiting for the left turn signal at a busy junction [no free left]. Please remember this is Kerala and our city main roads are just one lane on one side. Two youths on a bike pass me on the left and join the main road at speed and never even bother to look if there is space to join!

Needless to say their bike's tailpipe just scratched the front bumper of a bus who was driving on the main road! And those two blissful gentlemen did not even notice how close they came to being under the wheels of a bus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks