Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 21:59   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Do I need to say anything more?
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image538270231.jpg

Well, I do. in the picture, the car is parked and the owner has gone shopping. This person then drives on the wrong side of the road, got ahead of the waiting traffic, turned left, jumped the signal and sped away!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 21st May 2012 at 22:04.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:08   #3902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
in the picture, the car is parked and the owner has gone shopping. This person then drives on the wrong side of the road, got ahead of the waiting traffic, turned left, jumped the signal and sped away!
Sorry, I am a bit confused. The car is parked and the owner went shopping. But who drove on the wrong side of the road and jumped the signal?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:53   #3903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sorry, I am a bit confused. The car is parked and the owner went shopping. But who drove on the wrong side of the road and jumped the signal?
What he probably means is the owner of the car parked his car in the wrong way and after he is through with shopping, came back and drove his car in the manner described in the post. The word 'then' is mentioned specifically for that.
Things are going worse day by day.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:21   #3904
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
If i have to describe him in one word i would say he was weird. I have seen folks drive fast, block, make zig/zag moves to overtake, usually they have a goal (generally to go fast and overtake), but this one was totally weird, because i am unable to explain his movements as to Why he was doing it.
Probably this person was talking on the phone and hence his weird antics i guess.
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:36   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Probably this person was talking on the phone and hence his weird antics i guess.
Nope he was neither on phone, nor was he in a hurry, nor was he trying to cut people off, and he was not driving aggressively (i mean not very fast).

Only his weird indicator always on, and moving left or right was something that was bothering me, with no goal whatsoever.

One thing for sure he was not watching side rear view mirrors (Mirrors were open and not close). I am still unable to explain the indicator part.
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:10   #3906
Senior - BHPian

Just new to this thread. But isn't this a wrong thread? I mean, how do you spot bad drivers? Look around. They are everywhere. We should rather have a 'Good drivers - How do you spot 'em?". Beacuse Good drivers are a rarity on our roads. And bad drivers? Hmmm... Roads are just filled with them.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:22   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Just new to this thread. But isn't this a wrong thread? I mean, how do you spot bad drivers? Look around. They are everywhere. We should rather have a 'Good drivers - How do you spot 'em?". Beacuse Good drivers are a rarity on our roads. And bad drivers? Hmmm... Roads are just filled with them.
Reminds me of a cartoon that had a signpost that said "Warning, good road ahead"
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:35   #3908
Senior - BHPian

The last two posts are bang on target. I feel sad after going through this and Accidents in India thread. We must have How to spot good drivers thread so we can feel positive.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:08   #3909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
We should rather have a 'Good drivers - How do you spot 'em?". Beacuse Good drivers are a rarity on our roads. And bad drivers? Hmmm... Roads are just filled with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
The last two posts are bang on target. I feel sad after going through this and Accidents in India thread. We must have How to spot good drivers thread so we can feel positive.
I agree with your opinion about trying to be positive, but the reason for reporting bad drivers and their behaviour is that we can learn how to identify them on the road and then take necessary action. For me that is a positive takeaway from this thread.

Last edited by selfdrive : 23rd May 2012 at 15:11.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:02   #3910
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Add to that the fact that many times we ourselves are unaware of what constitutes bad driving, e.g. for those familiar with the now-rampant habit of switching on hazard lights in tunnels, at the first hint of rain, fog etc. and think it is CORRECT, a thread like this where this topic has been extensively discussed is very useful.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 11:42   #3911
BHPian

Saw a lady today at Mahadevpura redlight (Bangalore, near EMC2), the kid was on the frond seat, with no seat belts, the lady was atleast at 80 km/hr in an i10 and was on the phone. I always thought that mothers are over protective towards their kid..... talk of suicidal tendencies here :-)
Old 24th May 2012, 12:19   #3912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu
talk of suicidal tendencies here
Hard to see mothers like ours these days. I wont blame these mothers too but its a sad sight. I saw a lady walking with her child in her hands and she was almost coming on to the middle of the road wherea bike almost hit her. He was going to say something when he saw she had a child and then left.
These days people are just engrossed in earning money or are too distracted. Lets not forget the sad story of the child who fell out of the innova on airport road. Im yet to come across a driver who puts the seatbelt for his child. Im sure Bhpians will be doing this but im talking of the other 90% on the streets.

Regards
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:40   #3913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Saw a lady today at Mahadevpura redlight (Bangalore, near EMC2), the kid was on the frond seat, with no seat belts, the lady was atleast at 80 km/hr in an i10 and was on the phone. I always thought that mothers are over protective towards their kid..... talk of suicidal tendencies here :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Im yet to come across a driver who puts the seatbelt for his child. Im sure Bhpians will be doing this but im talking of the other 90% on the streets.
Most of the people I discuss this with think that they are alert enough to control everything. But they dont understand that some events/ accidents happen due to uncontrollable or chain reactions.
Such as a car hitting a bike that then comes on to hit us.

A consistent media campaign needs to be put in place to ensure that people understand that the risk is much closer to them now than it ever was.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 13:41   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Most of the people I discuss this with think that they are alert enough to control everything. But they dont understand that some events/ accidents happen due to uncontrollable or chain reactions.

A consistent media campaign needs to be put in place to ensure that people understand that the risk is much closer to them now than it ever was.
Totally agree with you on this
Just imagine even if the car is in total control, going at lets say at a safe speed of 40 km/hr, and obviously the child is not in the car seat / without a seat belt.

and the car bangs something / brakes suddenly very hard, imagine the inertia in the child.... the child would go flying out of the front windshield. Thats exactly wen one needs a seat belt or a car seat for kids

Last edited by evilshantanu : 24th May 2012 at 13:41. Reason: typo
evilshantanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:16   #3915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Very true! And then there is another group who is well aware of the consequences, but tends to think that no mishaps will happen with them. I have some relatives who can be classified into this group. And they feel I am talking nonsense, if I ask them to belt-up or get a child seat for their kid

Most Viewed