Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 12:21   #3946
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
At the hump just brush very close to him...
P.s just dont hit him. Then youd be in trouble. Should frustrate them mentally.
This actually happened while I was in an Autorickshaw (on the way to a Joe Satriani concert IIRC). In fact, it was the auto guy who was irritated with a battered Esteem cutting across his path now and then. The auto guy showed some skill toying with the Esteem dude. Esteem guy gets really frustrated and starts ramming the auto repeatedly, all the while screaming in filthy Hindi. Then realises he's had enough and speeds off. Auto guy's reaction? "Nange 30 rupaai tinkering cost saar, avarige 3000 rupaai bumper costu"! Translation not necessary obviously.

Now was that worth it?
Old 11th June 2012, 12:32   #3947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild
"Nange 30 rupaai tinkering cost saar, avarige 3000 rupaai bumper costu"! Translation not necessary obviously.

Now was that worth it?
Sir naan joke madthini. And anyway i didnt say to hit him at all. Make some close calls thats it. And again il say please dont try these on the roads. I take back my previous statements.

Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter
. The traffic cop got even more frustrated and told him that this is Karnataka, not Andhra Pradesh, try to speak in Kannada. The guy says, " What Kannada? Kannada is part of Andhra. I will speak in Telugu" .
By this time, the way had cleared for me to go ahead and I missed the awesome conversation that was going on .
Rofl. And i thought Kannada was from sanskrit. Anyways these sort of rule breakers can be seen almost every two minutes in Bangalore. And as the population increases that time limit will also decrease. Ive seen taking auto or bus during daytime is much more peaceful and healthier for me than driving with the car in the blistering heat and tackling such samples on the roads. Plus my blood pressure stays under control too.
Cheers.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 11th June 2012 at 12:40.
Old 11th June 2012, 13:41   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Sir naan joke madthini. And anyway i didnt say to hit him at all. Make some close calls thats it. And again il say please dont try these on the roads. I take back my previous statements.
Anna, I understand totally! I just wanted to highlight that the auto chaps are also a frustrated lot. The "brush close to them, make some close calls" etc just reminded me of that incident. No offence taken or anything.

Also yes, taking an auto/bus gives a peace of mind that is otherwise hard on Bangalore roads. Making idle conversation with the Auto driver sometimes also results in him not cheating you!! But all this is anyway, so back to the bad drivers please!!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 13:58   #3949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
P.S. This is only intended to be taken for the fun part and hope no one starts an argument based on regions and language.
There is no argument, on those or any other grounds --- because bikers are always right!
Old 11th June 2012, 16:13   #3950
Senior - BHPian

drives a Merc, but can't afford a handsfree?
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6716.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6718.jpg

women also are getting good at this - on St. John's hospital road:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6719.jpg

illeagal u-turn at Sony World signal Koramangala (i'm coming from the 3rd block). the vehicle had a Govt. of Karnataka sticker on the number plate and of course, the traffic cop looked away!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6729.jpg

on the BEML road (close to the OMR signal); as soon as the signal went green, this guy drives on the right side to get ahead:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6745.jpg

this guy just had to get ahead, no matter what the cost!!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6746.jpg

everyday i get to see this on the NGEF bypass; everybody blames the infrastructure, but isn't willing to do their bit - follow traffic rules!!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6748.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6749.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 11th June 2012 at 16:14.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 17:00   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
everyday i get to see this on the NGEF bypass; everybody blames the infrastructure, but isn't willing to do their bit - follow traffic rules!!
I guess you are aware of the Hinjewadi traffic in the morning. This same scenario was present earlier. Guess what the authorities have done. They have officially allowed one lane from the wrong side during morning peak hours by placing plastic barricades.

But now if that lane has jams we have the habitual offenders forming one more lane next to it. So people will never change.
Old 11th June 2012, 17:24   #3952
BHPian

Guys just be careful of these water tankers both big and small. Had one in front of me. This guy turns into a narrow bylane after almost crossing it as if he suddenly had a divine vision. That too without indicators. Wow. Luckily i always keep a car length gap and did not have any problem. However the biker who overtook me from the left almost rammed into the tanker.
And i dont understand how parents let their children 10 12 years old maximum to ride their scooties that too with their brothers or sisters as pillions. Best to stay far away from their vehicles whether you on bike or car. And it is because of this silly parenting that breeds children who dont follow rules and later on in life go on to be involved in bigger accidents.

Such small things Like following lane discipline, and not going to the opposite lanes or just following the rules regarding turns and all, can be followed if we as parents follow the rule themselves. Our children will then always follow the rules and this will lead to better traffic situation on the roads.
I feel most of the jams and commotions are caused by not following the lane discipline. And autos and bikers have to get into the narrowest gap no matter what. And this causes the jam. When this gets on my nerves and i see an idiot coming from the opposite side on the wrong lane i just stop and let his illiterate brain figure out the puzzle how to cross my vehicle(whether car or bike) without causing an accident. Oh wait they dont have a solution but to get back to their lanes. I would NOT suggest anyone to do the same but for me this helps quite a lot. And i hate people who overtake from the left. Everyday i go out in Bangalore roads its just so frustrating to see an idiot every 2 3 minutes. And this problem is seemingly more in metros than towns. Aarghh!!
And to top it all, i still see people riding with completely dark sunfilms. Jiyo befikar!!!
Old 13th June 2012, 13:21   #3953
BHPian

Talking about water tankers. I have seen kids around the age of 14-15 years driving water tanker trucks and tractors in Marathalli and Kundalahalli region right in front of traffic cops. They are a real nuisance in this area. Always stay away from tankers and 12 seater force vans in Bangalore.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:55   #3954
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night around 9 pm on the Pune bypass near Europa Skoda, Wakad, I was tolling along at a fair clip when I am suddenly blinded by some high-intensity high-beams in my RVMs. Quickly dimmed the mirrors and allowed the other guy to overtake. A big white Toyota Fortuner, special number 4444 weaving in and out of traffic like it was a moped!

Gave him a WIDE berth- it's quite obvious from the type, colour and number of the vehicle that its owner is probably very well connected and you don't want to mess with that kind of people. Hope he didn't harm anyone though.
Old 13th June 2012, 15:10   #3955
BHPian

There's this recent craze developing with two-wheeler riders on Baner Road in Pune, riding on the wrong side of the road from Yashada to Sakaalnagar, JUST to access the break in the median. Unfortunately, I live bang in the middle of this stretch, and have been perilously close to collisions with the unsuspecting wrong-side-speeder when riding out of my apartment.

Why is it so hard to just ride on the CORRECT side of the road (even if its opposite to your intended direction) and take a U-turn at Yashada? How much fuel can you save by 50 meters on the wrong side? And is it more than your hospital bill for a broken head? Or the head is worthless since there's nothing inside it anyway?

Wrong side + cellphone wedged on shoulder with head tilted + PUSHING ANOTHER BIKE WITH LEG. Go on, try beating that!!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 13th June 2012, 17:23   #3956
BHPian

Red Maruti Swift petrol terrrorizing the Varthur Main Road between Kundalahalli and Whitefield.

He's also got a sticker on his rear window that says "Yes it's my fathers road only"
Can you believe that????
Old 13th June 2012, 18:40   #3957
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A scene from this morning near the NGEF-Old Madras Road junction (this place is notrorious for driving on the wrong side as IronH4WK posted earlier on this page).
This super-smart guy (or so he thought!) zoomed on the wrong side as we approached the junction. His luck ran out before he reached the junction as there was a BMTC bus, autos and cars in the opposite direction. He could not squeeze to the left since the divider ended a good 15-20 ft ahead so he had no choice but to zoom back in the reverse direction

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-sx4-13-june-2012.jpg
Old 15th June 2012, 11:34   #3958
Senior - BHPian

A humble request.

Do not tailgate an ambulance taking somebody to the hospital.

The moment we see an ambulance with emergency notice on, we tend to pull aside and give it way, only to find some <TBhp do not allow these words> tailing the ambulance at same speed.

Forget the ones who moved aside, who will feel bad, but imagine the plight of the relatives or friends of the victim inside the ambulance who can see some low life taking advantage of the plight of their dear one.

Hope this sick behavior dies down.
sarathlal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 12:24   #3959
BHPian

This happens all the time on Tannery road, on the Nagavara signal (near Manyata tech park) almost everyone wants to go on the wrong way and block the road ahead! The traffic policeman who mans traffic watches helplessly !
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image2833953383.jpg  

Old 15th June 2012, 13:35   #3960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
A humble request.
Do not tailgate an ambulance taking somebody to the hospital.
Reminds me of a similar incident I saw a few weeks ago. A Swift (lets call X) was waiting in traffic on the right lane of Karve road. To allow an ambulance to go, the traffic cop at the signal (about 70 metres ahead) signalled to all traffic in the left lane to move to the side. This one was an Omni ambulance, so all vehicles in the left lane did their best to allow space to this Omni to pass, by climbing on divider etc.

This oversmart X fellow changed lanes and tailgated the Omni. One biker (originally next to X in traffic) lost it. He chased X, overtook it, slowed down and stopped in front of it a little bit to the right side. Then acted as if his bike would not start. The ambulance was long gone and the signal turned green. All other bikes overtook X from the left. Traffic on the right lane moved ahead. X could not move ahead on left lane or change to right lane. When the ticker turned to 5 seconds remaining, the bike started as if on cue and was the last vehicle to get the green signal in time. The biker gave a thumbs up sign to X driver. Needless to say, X driver was honking away to glory and got glares from umpteen people.

How did I know X was not driving with the ambulance? because he was already caught in traffic before the ambulance appeared.

As soon as this happened, the cop came over and asked X to pull over. Usual checks followed, usual Puneite comments followed. Some passing bikers heckled at X driver and told the cop to jail such people for rash driving. So much of time wasted and insults heaped for trying to save a few minutes of time. Well actually for being insensitive. I hope he didnt have a document or two in place and got fined by the cop.

Disclaimer: I was one of the heckling bikers!

Last edited by selfdrive : 15th June 2012 at 13:49.
selfdrive is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks