Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 14:55   #4051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Today on my way to the doctor in my car, I slow down in the right most lane as I have to take a u turn. Right indicator was switched on and working fine. I am doing about perhaps 10, and halfway into the turn when an Activa rider overtakes me from the right at around 50 and turns right. If I had braked one second later, he would have been sprawling on the road.
The best part about it? A six lane road and the middle and left lanes were totally free. In fact there was only another vehicle at that crossroad and that was heading away on the straight to my left.
I have no idea why he had to overtake me in the 2 foot gap to my right.

Please be extra careful when taking u turns or right turns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
The only answer i can give to you is that you are an educated person hence choose to allow vehicles to move about normally. The others are illiterate low lifes or buffoons.
Indian roads have taught me there is a difference being illiterate and educated people.
I see a lot of well dressed people who are obviously literate but totally uneducated. Especially in sense (civic and common) and etiquette (general & driving)

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th July 2012 at 14:57.
Old 12th July 2012, 17:59   #4052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Today on my way to the doctor in my car, I slow down in the right most lane as I have to take a u turn. Right indicator was switched on and working fine. I am doing about perhaps 10, and halfway into the turn when an Activa rider overtakes me from the right at around 50 and turns right. If I had braked one second later, he would have been sprawling on the road.
The best part about it? A six lane road and the middle and left lanes were totally free. In fact there was only another vehicle at that crossroad and that was heading away on the straight to my left.
I have no idea why he had to overtake me in the 2 foot gap to my right.
Well there has been a similar incident in a post above involving a biker!
The problem with the bikers is that they tend to keep the extreme right and during the signals they tend to overtake from the slightest of the gaps. They don't actually care for others and seldom use their rear view mirrors! If you event touch a biker no matter what, it is always your fault!

Quote:
Indian roads have taught me there is a difference being illiterate and educated people.
I see a lot of well dressed people who are obviously literate but totally uneducated. Especially in sense (civic and common) and etiquette (general & driving)
This difference is due to people who drive for a purpose and are not actually passionate about it. We BHPian's drive because we love to and always follow the rules (to some extent). If you don't desire to drive, then there's no point how educated you are, you wont take driving seriously and will be arrogant towards others on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
What has the road sense come to ?
I pull over at a signal and stop in the right most lane as I had to take a right turn. This 2 wheeler guy, what a fool I tell you, he wants to go right and he tries to squeeze into a spot between my car and a 4 median wall with hardly 3 feet gap between. .....

This guy continues to weave through the traffic and squeezing his way through every tight corner.
I have made it a point to not spoil my day because of these idiots on the road!
Once, a biker tries to get ahead from a gap similar to yours and in the process hits my left ORVM. On the next signal, again the biker is behind me and just as I see him I block all the gaps for him and he keeps honking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Simple.

Option 1 : Pick a stone, break his headlight and ask him what proof he has that you broke the headlight.

Option 2 : Look up, scream out loud and vent out your frustration. Or simply close your eyes and think about your gf/wife/kid. Then give him a broad smile and tell him "I cant spoil my mood because of morons like you. May you fall in cow dung..." and leave.

Disclaimer :

1) Option 1 is to be attempted only if you are 6 feet (or more) tall, have broad shoulders and heavy biceps.

2) Option 2 is a much better way to teach him a lesson. And a much more civilized (comparatively!) and safer way too. Recommended.
Well, I would love to use the option 1 if and only if I had a mentality like the person! Thank God any of us at team-bhp do not have such a mentality!

Option 2 is the Gandhigiri way and would love to follow it, but sorrow state is that no one now a days learn things these ways.
Old 12th July 2012, 18:26   #4053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
The problem with the bikers is that they tend to keep the extreme right and during the signals they tend to overtake from the slightest of the gaps. They don't actually care for others and seldom use their rear view mirrors! If you event touch a biker no matter what, it is always your fault!
Well, I am a biker too. In fact I ride my bike more (in terms of time & kms) than my car. I dont think this is restricted to bikes; there are a lot of cars being driven this way too. Just that some of them are not as maneouvreable as bikes, so the degree seems a bit less.

On my bike, I have both rear view mirrors and indicators in working order and I use them. The thing that does not work on my bike is the horn and I have not bothered to fix it. Just the other day, a colleague borrowed my bike for an errand. His trip was perhaps 4 kms on near empty roads and the only thing he told me was "your horn doesnt work, get it fixed".

The rear view mirror was bumped down while he parked somewhere, so he was obviously not using it. He refused to use my helmet too. Needless to say, he drives his car too in a similar dont give a damn fashion. continuously honking, swerving from lane to lane with folded ORVMs. you know the type.

I only give the example to share my opinion this is not restricted to the type of vehicle but extends itself to the type of moron on/ in it.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 19:24   #4054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
...he tries to squeeze into a spot between my car and a 4 median wall with hardly 3 feet gap between.
One way is to consciously see which way to let 2 wheelers pass anytime traffic slows down. May be it doesn't look macho, but saves headaches later. Works pretty easy on daily commute routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Exact same senario with me in Bangalore. He brushed passed my wing mirror. When I got out and confronted him he claimed to have never touched my car and what proof did I have. What he didnt anticipate is me giving him a royal ringing tight slap on his left ear. Then when he asked me why did I hit him, I told him I never touched him and what proof did he have that I hit him? This coupled with loud laughter from the other motorists around made him scoot I am sure he would hear his ears ringing for a while
It could have got ugly if he fellow had got local support at the site / if he ie more aggressive than you. Remember, if there is a clash later, ALWAYS a biker would get more sympathizers than a car guy and one brush is a far smaller price than that!
Old 12th July 2012, 20:34   #4055
Distinguished - BHPian

Either clearly give space for bikers to pass (and why shouldn't they?) or else don't give space at all so they don't try to squeeze through.

Similarly, with underpass and flyover walls, I prefer to drive so close to them that a biker can't even try it. That way I don't have to worry about who should not be on my left but is anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 21:25   #4056
BHPian

Weirdest thing happened today (not sure if this belongs here, MODS please shift accordingly).

I took the right into Palace Road from District office road. For a change it was pretty much empty. I was on the right most lane, nothing infront of me for a good 50mtrs. I hadn't checked my RVM since I took the turn and was cruising at around 40kmph. Suddenly I hear a screech, was wondering what it was and then checked the RVM and there was this bike guy (on an apache I think) tumbling over

At that point in time there was noone on the left, noone on the right, noone infront and this fallen rider/bike behind. I have no idea what happened, I slowed down slightly and kept checking the rear view mirror. The bike guy had gotten up, people around helped him and as far I can recall he was pointing towards my direction.

I carried on normally. What I fail to understand is whether I am at fault for anything. I clearly remember not changing any lanes, because I always indicate and check my RVM even if roads are empty (plus being an empty road I don't have any need to change lanes in the first place). Was he trying some overtaking stunt which failed miserably on a relatively open road with only my car to overtake?

There is absolutely no sign of contact on my car.

Last edited by superutp : 12th July 2012 at 21:31.
Old 12th July 2012, 23:57   #4057
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I am a biker too. In fact I ride my bike more (in terms of time & kms) than my car. I dont think this is restricted to bikes; there are a lot of cars being driven this way too. Just that some of them are not as maneouvreable as bikes, so the degree seems a bit less.

On my bike, I have both rear view mirrors and indicators in working order and I use them. The thing that does not work on my bike is the horn and I have not bothered to fix it. Just the other day, a colleague borrowed my bike for an errand. His trip was perhaps 4 kms on near empty roads and the only thing he told me was "your horn doesnt work, get it fixed".

The rear view mirror was bumped down while he parked somewhere, so he was obviously not using it. He refused to use my helmet too. Needless to say, he drives his car too in a similar dont give a damn fashion. continuously honking, swerving from lane to lane with folded ORVMs. you know the type.

I only give the example to share my opinion this is not restricted to the type of vehicle but extends itself to the type of moron on/ in it.
hey selfdrive,
no offences meant at all. I myself ride a bike and am always in love with biking no matter which bike i am on. I agree we teambhpian's drive passionately and follow the rules all the way. I hope that there's no Bhpian's vehicle featuring in this thread.

I too have friends that don't care for rules or others on the street and drive rough. When i am out with them, most of the time the wheel is in my hand or they have to drive sedately.

So glad to be a part of this family who are in love with SAFE driving.
Old 13th July 2012, 01:01   #4058
BHPian

Quote:

Very well said and apt. These people just dont learn. Give them a helicopter or an auto rickshaw, they drive it the same way. Its more to do with the mindset rather than the vehicle.
Old 13th July 2012, 01:12   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
One way is to consciously see which way to let 2 wheelers pass anytime traffic slows down. May be it doesn't look macho, but saves headaches later. Works pretty easy on daily commute routes. !
Being a former biker myself I'm all for letting the 2 wheelers go past and with as much safe distance as possible. Even for other cars I do that. You never know why they are in a hurry. But like today, when the whole place is jam packed and there is no room for anybody to pass how can any sane person possibly demand a right of way. That's what I'm talking about.
Well I'm really contemplating to go the eco way and get myself a bicycle and save the charm of car driving for may be express ways or late night drives when there are probably very few motorists on road. But again, stupid can strike anywhere, anytime.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:19   #4060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I would love to use the option 1 if and only if I had a mentality like the person! Thank God any of us at team-bhp do not have such a mentality!
Option 1 is good for some morons who dont understand polite words. They are a tough nut to crack.

Quote:
Option 2 is the Gandhigiri way and would love to follow it, but sorrow state is that no one now a days learn things these ways.
This is not Gandhigiri.

Gandhigiri would have been - "Hey, you scratched the left side, now scratch the right side..." and then smile. The biker will then be in "durgati" and because of some chemical locha in his brain, he will start respecting you.

Okay, now before the MODS infract me for going OT, I would have to confess that, I would not resort to Gandhigiri in such a situation. I love my car a lot and if someone scratches it and talks like this, I would easily lose my cool (a simple sorry will be more than enough to solve the matter). At the same time, I wont go bersek and break his car or resort to physical violence.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 11:33   #4061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
It could have got ugly if he fellow had got local support at the site / if he ie more aggressive than you. Remember, if there is a clash later, ALWAYS a biker would get more sympathizers than a car guy and one brush is a far smaller price than that!
In a crowd senario you got to remember a pack of dogs. Its usually the smaller/weaker dog who yaps and nips forward to feint an attack. This is because the dog can show the pack leader that it too is aggressive and earn brownie points. Likewise in a group/herd of people the weaker ones try and act aggressive. If you pick one weakling and get aggressive/physical with him the group scatters. This is OT and I don not advocate being physical with anyone, how ever this knowledge always help if one is caught in a fix.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:41   #4062
Senior - BHPian

One more incident involving a biker. This too happened in Bangalore. I now believe Namma Bengaluru is the heaven for all moron bikers. This biker was riding on the left hand side of the road (the road parallel to the golf course, when driving towards brigade road) and I was doing about 60 on the right lane. Suddenly I see this biker cutting across my car from left to right and the best part, slowing down when cutting across. I applied brakes to the best I could, considering I had traffic behind me. Next moment a slight bang sound and my rear bumper hit the biker's rear fender, all because the moron had slowed down considerably. Now the biker fell down and I slowed my car to ask him how he was. His reply was "I am sorry, but I didnt anticipate your car was going this fast" When i asked him why did he slow down? no answer except a sheepish smile!!!!
Old 13th July 2012, 11:42   #4063
BHPian

Yesterday evening, while driving to home saw two cars blocking the road in narrow streets in a residential area.

They were arguing in middle of road, one of them even came out of car, leaving it on middle of road.
Have to take turn, to pass them, did not bother to watch the tamasha.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:53   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more incident involving a biker. This too happened in Bangalore.
=======
When i asked him why did he slow down? no answer except a sheepish smile!!!!
I think the notion about Bengaluru bikers is because of your own origin. Had you been from Delhi NCR you would find such behavior absolutely normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Yesterday evening, while driving to home saw two cars blocking the road in narrow streets in a residential area.

They were arguing in middle of road, one of them even came out of car, leaving it on middle of road.
Have to take turn, to pass them, did not bother to watch the tamasha.
IMO that was the most sensible thing to do.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:27   #4065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey selfdrive,
no offences meant at all. I myself ride a bike and am always in love with biking no matter which bike i am on.
@carzone. no offence taken buddy! I only wanted to say how morons stay morons regardless of what vehicle they drive. perhaps we just experience more of this madness by bikers because they can be pushed into smaller spaces than cars can be.

Quote:
Now the biker fell down and I slowed my car to ask him how he was. His reply was "I am sorry, but I didnt anticipate your car was going this fast" When i asked him why did he slow down? no answer except a sheepish smile!!!!
well, at least he was a polite moron and accepted his mistake
otherwise the usual samples we see around assume a victim attitude as if everything happening around is a conspiracy against them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks