Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 16:13   #4141
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Punishments should be a deterrent for doing another crime. That's my stance.
I so wish this were true. I would have enjoyed being under the gun for a mistake I've committed than this current feeling of 'confusion' maybe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
As for the current incident, no use crying over spilt milk. You may have got away with it but next time try not to do it. Think the bus driver may have to pay through his salary for the wiper of a volvo or for that matter suppose its raining, he wont have a clear field of view in front (due to lack of wiper) and may end up running over someone.
Totally agree with every word in your comments sir, except this one para that I politely disagree with. But, thank you for the pat on the back.
I feel a lot better almost like I've got out of a confession box.

I may have got away with it? - YES! I did after ensuring that the idiot doesn't get away either.

"the bus driver may have to pay through his salary for the wiper of a volvo" - I so wish. And that was my intent so that he thinks twice before repeating the act. I'm pretty sure these guys know how to get away with such incidents though.

"he wont have a clear field of view in front (due to lack of wiper) and may end up running over someone." - My apologies.
Old 26th July 2012, 16:13   #4142
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if I can call myself a bad driver, but these days I get really irritated when I see some car doing drama at speedbreakers (stopping, turning, taking only one wheel over the hump at a time). There are some nasty humps on Sarjapur road, outside the city limits. If I can, I honk (to express my anger) and overtake these cars on the humps. My patience is getting lesser day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Someone help me...
Since you are sorry for what you have done, here is how you can console yourself for damaging public property: the government maintains the buses, and the money comes from the huge amount of tax you pay for every litre of petrol.
Old 26th July 2012, 16:17   #4143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Since you are sorry for what you have done, here is how you can console yourself for damaging public property: the government maintains the buses, and the money comes from the huge amount of tax you pay for every litre of petrol.
I couldn't have felt better.

And one of those drivers you honked at could have been me. C'mon... I was trying to save my baby's underbelly..
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 16:21   #4144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Someone help me...
You have done a bad thing. Unless it was raining, your act did not even inconvenience the driver even one bit. So your rage was also useless and had no effect except to increase expenditure of the govt department, which anyways comes out of your pocket.
Old 26th July 2012, 16:32   #4145
BHPian

It's surprising to see that the emphasis seems to be more on my wrong-doing (that I confess) than the 'wrong' that instigated my wrong-doing.

Does that mean the one with the stronger conscience and lack of guilt gets away scott-free? Which, by the way, he actually he did.

My question was - is there anything else that I could have done to book the BMTC driver? There was one solution offered - saying reporting it on the BTP FB page. But then again, to ensure that BTP raises a complaint one needs to substantiate the report with a photograph. Now, that in a situation as I was in - was next to impossible.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:12   #4146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's surprising to see that the emphasis seems to be more on my wrong-doing (that I confess) than the 'wrong' that instigated my wrong-doing.
Well, I think that’s because violent conduct from the driver is not a surprise, but not so digestible from a good team-bhpian

And then, who is losing sleep over that – you or the bus driver? Do you really think that your act has brought in atleast 1% of remorse in the bus driver’s mind?
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 07:28   #4147
Distinguished - BHPian

Guy with 3 Kids in a Activa on the wrong side.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0221optimized.jpg  

Old 28th July 2012, 08:36   #4148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Volvo's wiper blades are so low that I could easily reach onto it. Sudden instinct forced me to rip off his wiper blades and this act of mine got him furious. By the time he got out of the bus, I had already sped away.
While you feel bad about it, the damage is already done and it can't be reversed. What I fear is someone on road might decide you have broken a traffic rule and sabotage your vehicle. While the Volvo driver has committed a traffic offence, you have damaged public property and caused a civil offence. Actually the Volvo driver can file a theft complaint, which is non-bailable criminal offence.
Old 28th July 2012, 09:38   #4149
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we need to have mandatory "Parking lessons" for road users, here's an example of how someone who does not park properly can put others in severe danger.

I was on one of the cross roads that lead to New Thippasandra main road which is a one-way so I have to turn left here but how ? Due to the angle at which the Omni on the left and the Santro on the right are parked, I will actually have to turn slightly to right (face oncoming traffic!) at this blind spot and then turn sharp left to go around the Omni on the right side of the one-way road (but knowing this road there may be several vehicles on the wrong side so again I have to watch out for oncoming traffic!).

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-nts-main-roadhow-turn-safely.jpg
Old 28th July 2012, 20:11   #4150
BHPian

I came across a couple doing PDLA in a scorpio yesterday. It was raining, traffic was slow, and the couple had hands all over each other. I was right beside that scorpio for about 2 km (from IIT to Qutub ). I was scared about the control of the guy driving. Since that Scorpio was to my right, I kept as left as possible, much to the annoyance of the Vento to my left.

What's new, I hear you ask? I am sure everyone has faced this in every city some time or other, right? Well, what made this special was that the Scorpio was a police vehicle, with flashing red beacon and all.
Old 28th July 2012, 20:56   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
When I came to the office parking to take my car out this is what I found!!
How the heck am I supposed to get in? The fella parked his m800 in that non-existant space. Wonder how he got out!
How he got out is a wonder; his M800 doesn't have a sunroof!
Old 28th July 2012, 21:34   #4152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
We really need a bad parking thread. When I came to the office parking to take my car out this is what I found!!

How the heck am I supposed to get in? The fella parked his m800 in that non-existant space. Wonder how he got out!
Reminds me of a Mr Bean episode

bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 00:14   #4153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
How he got out is a wonder; his M800 doesn't have a sunroof!
There are parking spots in Chennai, eg near the Law Courts, Parry's Corner and Anna Salai near P Orr & Sons where cars are routinely stacked up like this. I've always been able to get out after parking, but I've twice had to climb back in through the hatch. And I'm skinny!
Old 29th July 2012, 01:50   #4154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
While you feel bad about it, the damage is already done and it can't be reversed. What I fear is someone on road might decide you have broken a traffic rule and sabotage your vehicle. While the Volvo driver has committed a traffic offence, you have damaged public property and caused a civil offence. Actually the Volvo driver can file a theft complaint, which is non-bailable criminal offence.
True.

But the bus-driver can be booked under Section 279 of the IPC (criminal-offense):

Quote:
Rash Driving or riding on a public way: Whoever drives any vehicle or rides on any public way in a manner so rash or negligent as to endanger human life, or to be likely to cause hurt or injury to any other person, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees or with both.
He can also be booked under the Motor Vehicles Act for jumping the red-light.

Even if the Volvo driver files a complaint for theft, there is no way he can prove it because the wiper wasn't actually stolen. But mempheS can be booked under another provision with regard to damage inflicted upon Govt. property. Again, the onus of proof lies with the bus-driver i.e. if he can prove that the wiper was actually damaged beyond repair.
Old 29th July 2012, 15:42   #4155
BHPian

Witnessed a couple of bad drivers yesterday while on my trip via NH8.

A Scorpio, Reg number MH-04-??-4 was driving rashly on a crowded stretch some where around virar. He seemed to be in utmost urgency. He overtook my car from left and then cut me in from such a distance, that if it were any new driver, he would have hit the divider. After this I saw him driving like a maniac. He was cutting in and out of the traffic continuously. I saw many of the vehicles giving way to him and this was the right thing to do with a person like this behind the wheel. Till the guy was in my sight, he continued driving in the same manner. The car had a VIP number "4" and was heavily tinted. Could not notice any party flag as I was busy saving my car from hitting the divider as he cut me in.

The second instant on my way on the road that joins Boisar and NH-8. There was a truck driver overtaking a slow moving bulldozer. The truck was doing this stunt on a blind curve. As many of you might know, it is a road with no divider. I was coming from the opposite direction and if I hadn't gone off the road and braked hard, I wouldn't have been writing this. This scared the hell out of us and from then I would honk on each and every curve to let others know of my presence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks