Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 23:06   #4036
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This was in Bannerghatta Road near gottigere junction. It is becoming a common practice that, traffic towards NICE road has the liberty to occupy each inch of the road during the morning hours. Ofcourse there are people driving with sense too.
This is a common occurrence in this stretch and is not restricted to cabs (Travellers, Indicas, Sumos et al). I have faced the issue with private vehicles as well. These guys tells you to move off the road onto the dirt and proceed around them.

Being a bit pig headed, I stand my ground and refuse to move for them. I do get some curses and gestures in my directions, but finally they move back into their lane or at least give space for the opposite side to proceed.
Old 7th July 2012, 23:36   #4037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
If I was in your place, would go and stop just before the tempo traveler which would compel him to take a reverse if he has to move forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Being a bit pig headed, I stand my ground and refuse to move for them. I do get some curses and gestures in my directions, but finally they move back into their lane or at least give space for the opposite side to proceed.
I do that when I have some time to kill, not always. When it comes to these BMTC buses, private buses, tankers etc, I just give way to them because they never think twice to leave some marks in our ride.
Old 9th July 2012, 21:07   #4038
BHPian

In Hyderabad there are few vehicles which 'demand' their way and are at liberty to switch lanes without bothering about safety of traffic and pedestrians.

GHMC water tankers (DCMs/Mahindra Nissans): Killers irrespective of their weight (empty or loaded)
GHMC Garbage trucks : Always a nuisance on roads with continuous honking and no proper signals like indicators, brake lights etc. (not even reflectors)
Tata Winger cabs (used by software companies) : These guys just drive the cabs like go karts.

In addition to their 'Killer' driving traits they irritate people with 'un-wanted' honking (air horns) just to scare the traffic and enjoy the scene. APSRTC is not far in this list. I have seen their buses with communication signs (read indicators, brake lights) run only for couple of weeks initially when they are rolled off to the public. Eventually the management doesn't care of those signs. Adding fuel to fire is how these guys stop the buses in the middle of the road without any hesitation.
Old 11th July 2012, 20:43   #4039
Team-BHP Support

Was standing along side a Nano at a junction. I could notice the "Check Engine" icon lit up; I thought the key was on ignition.

And then.. the Nano started moving!

Probably the dude doesn't even realize the significance of it!
Old 11th July 2012, 21:58   #4040
BHPian

Spotted the usual bad drivers today on my morning commute.

What is it with bikers? They always have to overtake from the left even when i give them space on the right to overtake. To save them i nearly have to run into the opposite lane and risk having a head on. It frustrates me more since i too ride a bike. This man riding with his daughter on the tank and both without helmets and on top of that he is speaking on the phone that too on a geared bike. I think he should be in circus juggling so many things together can be quite a crowd drawing act.

Then there's the CARS. These are the worst.
Saw a red CAR, i dont know who you are fella, but you drive ridiculously. In a one way narrow LANE, instead of the usual two lanes you decide not to stick to your lane but cut lanes at a red signal and not just that you managed to create a third lane on the road and create a mess for us fellow commuters. Never seen anyone in so much rush to go to a mall?!?

Then there was this golden CAR. At a very well known signal, this fellow thinks he is going to miss crossing by the time light changes. So from the middle lane he pushes onto my lane ie the right most lane or atleast tries to bully me into the divider. Crazy fellow you are Uncle ji. You maybe 50 years old but you drive worse than a toddler.

And taxis feature in every episode of Daily Bad Drivers spotted. This guy i had to anticipate his next move. Had i not moved to the left completely, he was going to be in a bad head on. I noticed in the ORVM his snigger vanishing as soon as it came.

By this we conclude todays edition of Bad drivers. Thank you. See you again tomorrow.
Cheers!!!
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 00:16   #4041
BHPian

I don't know weather this qualifies for this thread or is it an instance of bad driver of just a mentality, but this has happened many a times with me while driving on the western express highway.

First of all theres a car driving on the rightmost lane and when i ask for side, i am obviously ignored. Having no other choice, i decide to overtake from the left. When i get ahead and signal to get into the right lane again, the same driver decides to change its mind and takes up speed to stop me from getting in that lane. It comes close to my car and starts hooking badly. This happens eventhough i have signalled well in advance to get into the lane. I have seen some to the extent that they go ahead and signal me with the hands that i have cut them in!!

The thing i cannot understand, why not let a vehicle atleast get into your lane if you cannot drive as fast (not as if i was speeding) as the vehicle.

This has happened with me quite a lot of times and i am sure you mumbaikars would also have experienced this.

I myself prefer to let the vehicles enter my lane and find no harm in it except if someone has some ego problem.

Comments welcomed.
Old 12th July 2012, 00:20   #4042
Team-BHP Support

The good thing about having bad drivers on the road is that the genuinely good drivers begin to anticipate more and prepare themselves for the unexpected, and therefore become even better drivers. Something I've been struggling to do in the last 5 years of my driving history.

So where does that leave me?
Old 12th July 2012, 01:26   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
The good thing about having bad drivers on the road is that the genuinely good drivers begin to anticipate more and prepare themselves for the unexpected, and therefore become even better drivers. Something I've been struggling to do in the last 5 years of my driving history.

So where does that leave me?
Your statement reminds me of the Forever Alone meme. Just kidding. I guess if youve reduced the number of dings in your car each year then you are already a better driver than last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone

I myself prefer to let the vehicles enter my lane and find no harm in it except if someone has some ego problem.

Comments welcomed.
The only answer i can give to you is that you are an educated person hence choose to allow vehicles to move about normally. The others are illiterate low lifes or buffoons. Seriously there are much better terms to describe such members of the society but Team BHP isnt the place to demonstrate our special language skills

Frankly the population of bad drivers has become so much that if i had a dime for every single one i met id be below poverty line by the end of my daily commute.

I say keep revving and leave others far behind choking on your exhaust fumes. Cheers!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 12th July 2012 at 01:36.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 12:18   #4044
BHPian

What has the road sense come to ?
I pull over at a signal and stop in the right most lane as I had to take a right turn. This 2 wheeler guy, what a fool I tell you, he wants to go right and he tries to squeeze into a spot between my car and a 4 median wall with hardly 3 feet gap between. In the process, he bruises my car bumper and I see him do that. When I get down and confront him he starts arguing he didn't do it and questions what proof I had to prove he did it in fact. I mean what the hell is wrong with these fools. I was so frustrated, it literally spoilt my whole morning. How do you tackle such fools.
I'm not really sure if going the arrogant way was my only way to teach this guy a lesson. The signal turned green and I just left feeling helpless. This guy continues to weave through the traffic and squeezing his way through every tight corner.

Last edited by no_boundaries : 12th July 2012 at 12:21. Reason: Rephrase.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:27   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
What has the road sense come to ?
I pull over at a signal and stop in the right most lane as I had to take a right turn.

I'm not really sure if going the arrogant way was my only way to teach this guy a lesson. The signal turned green and I just left feeling helpless. This guy continues to weave through the traffic and squeezing his way through every tight corner.
Simple.

Option 1 : Pick a stone, break his headlight and ask him what proof he has that you broke the headlight.

Option 2 : Look up, scream out loud and vent out your frustration. Or simply close your eyes and think about your gf/wife/kid. Then give him a broad smile and tell him "I cant spoil my mood because of morons like you. May you fall in cow dung..." and leave.

Disclaimer :

1) Option 1 is to be attempted only if you are 6 feet (or more) tall, have broad shoulders and heavy biceps.

2) Option 2 is a much better way to teach him a lesson. And a much more civilized (comparatively!) and safer way too. Recommended.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th July 2012 at 12:30.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 12:37   #4046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
........1) Option 1 is to be attempted only if you are 6 feet (or more) tall, have broad shoulders and heavy biceps.

2) Option 2 is a much better way to teach him a lesson. And a much more civilized and safer way too. Recommended.
I'm 6"1 with a broad trunk that sure can scare some, but I'm sure that does not justify me yelling or breaking his property or stooping down to his mannerism. I definitely take option 2 (part 2) cause that does help.

But, I'm just appalled for their utter disrespect towards other's property or safety.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th February 2019 at 08:47. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 12th July 2012, 13:32   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
he wants to go right and he tries to squeeze into a spot between my car and a 4 median wall with hardly 3 feet gap between. In the process, he bruises my car bumper and I see him do that. When I get down and confront him he starts arguing he didn't do it and questions what proof I had to prove he did it in fact. I
Exact same senario with me in Bangalore. He brushed passed my wing mirror. When I got out and confronted him he claimed to have never touched my car and what proof did I have. What he didnt anticipate is me giving him a royal ringing tight slap on his left ear. Then when he asked me why did I hit him, I told him I never touched him and what proof did he have that I hit him? This coupled with loud laughter from the other motorists around made him scoot I am sure he would hear his ears ringing for a while

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th July 2012 at 02:28. Reason: Fixed quotes
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 13:35   #4048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SujineRaj View Post
There are many instances in Bangalore I have seen where one rickshaw is giving a "LIFT" to another by the driver of one sticking his left leg out to push the other rick. This just blocks the whole of the two laned road thereby forcing other motorists to do some off roading . When will these rick drivers learn to drive safely .
Ya this happens in Mumbai too. I always feel like gently banging into the rear autorickshaw and break the driver's leg. However I never did this
Old 12th July 2012, 14:08   #4049
BHPian

Bad drivers are in such a large number, its actually hard to spot a good driver.
Most of us easily qualify for being bad drivers by these few characteristics.
Honking, for nothing.
Keeping headlamp on high beam, in busy traffic. No consideration for oncoming traffic.
Lack of patience on road.
Rash driving.
Unnecessary use of pass flash. I really get irritated by those HIDs. These people get on your nerves without honking.
Old 12th July 2012, 14:10   #4050
BHPian

I've posted this on another thread related to dealing with bodyguards of VIPs.

Using the following links will yield details about the vehicle's owner.

Vehicle Insurer Search Status Screen

https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...rchDetails.jsp

Site 1 is the IRDA promoted IIB portal. Site 2 is Vahan portal.

One can get the last 5 digits of chassis # from the IIB portal. Valid Reg #, random characters for Name and Address, and a past date is all that is required.

Last edited by mmxylorider : 12th July 2012 at 14:28.

Most Viewed