Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 10:34   #8971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

On the fast lane of a new laid three lane highway stretch and this biker with a pillion rider decides to cut across from the left most lane onto the right most lane.

What is the issue? No indicators, no hand signals, not even a look back to see if road is clear [forget looking into mirrors, does not even have them]

And the clincher? No rear lights! Dude was practically invisible!

deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 15:10   #8972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
On the fast lane of a new laid three lane highway stretch and this biker with a pillion rider decides to cut across from the left most lane onto the right most lane.
And people say that better roads will decrease accidents and deaths.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 16:38   #8973
Senior - BHPian

That stretch has been in the news almost every other day for the unscientific intersections and haphazard manner of driving.

People who laid the stretch had to give into some requests for intersections because people living there did not want to go to great lengths for u-turns. But the real issue is the lack of lane driving. What was once a narrow mad traffic 2 lane stretch is now this beautiful stretch of tarmac but it's scary to drive on it.

Witnessed this today afternoon:

One of the busiest intersections in the city and these two women decide to do this! It would be suicide in any intersection anywhere but taking such foolhardy risks to save a few minutes is just mind boggling.

Needless to say everyone was stunned to witness this scene :(

deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 20:48   #8974
BHPian

Quote:
That stretch has been in the news almost every other day for the unscientific intersections and haphazard manner of driving.
Really crazy indeed. The signal to do that turn is quite long too. Max they would have had to wait 45-60 seconds.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st January 2017 at 20:09. Reason: Quote size reduces. Quote only relevant portions of post please. Thanks!
Old 30th January 2017, 21:26   #8975
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine was very lucky today to have a narrow escape. Else, this post might have been on the accidents thread.

Both of us were riding home from college in the afternoon and he takes a right turn like he always does- The Risky Way and never listens to my repeated warnings.

Below is the image of the path he takes (and many other dumb idiots) turns in his scooter. (Indicated in the thin line) My path was according to the thick line.

He was very lucky to have missed a side-on collision with a speeding (don't know why he was) Innova Crysta. (Which is indicated by the Arrow) He was in a state of shock for a few seconds after the incident and only then realized the value of what I told him.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled.jpg

The spot on the map:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled1.jpg

Drive Safe fellow BHPians. There are too many idiots on the road and it's up to you to anticipate and avoid collisions.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th January 2017 at 21:28.
landcruiser123 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 16:46   #8976
Senior - BHPian

Why dont people follow signals when the others are following it. Jumping signals and dashing against the right of way traffic is suicidal.

Doesn't matter if you are on bullet.

If one HAS to skip signals in the night, do that, but look at the traffic before jumping the signal. Not come in the way of the traffic which has right of way.

tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 20:31   #8977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
He was in a state of shock for a few seconds after the incident and only then realized the value of what I told him.
That's the SOP on our roads.

I have tried explaining this to many friends and even strangers. The most polite response I have got so far is a straight face or "what are you barking on about?" look .

Left it now, and in fact, expect every car/bike to make a turn like that. If the opposite driver is good enough to make a 'proper turn', I happily yield for him/her. Like someone mentioned a few pages back, good behaviour should be rewarded!
Old 1st February 2017, 15:31   #8978
BHPian

Today while I was about to turn right from our society lane in order to join the main road, as usual I looked right, saw a scooty fairly away and at a low speed. Then I looked left and since it was clear, proceeded to turn right. I got a shock when I again looked left a last time before pushing on the accelerator. The scooty driver had in fact accelerated when he saw me and he had to panic brake.

On top of that he told me that I was not looking where I was going and he wanted to teach me a lesson. Now the scooty was fully loaded, a lady riding pillon with 2 bags on each side plus the front of the scooty was loaded with parcels. I told him that I had already seen him and he was in no danger. Maybe he thought that I was about to just barge in the main road without looking and he wanted to scare me by coming fast at me.
Old 1st February 2017, 21:31   #8979
Senior - BHPian

Pushing the wrong people is a major problem and quite a common trait with our junta. Whenever someone is trying to merge or change lanes most drivers try to accelerate to prevent that rather than slowing down a bit and giving time to complete the maneuver. I feel this slows down the traffic even more. Just more poor manners from our citizens.
Mortis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 21:59   #8980
BHPian

I think we Indians are very selfish and too competitive. It's the way our education system and environment has brought us up: I must be better / score higher than my friend / neighbour / that stranger. That's why we must be always infront of, not behind, that other car on the road. So concept of giving way does not exist. We are not rude. We are like that only :-).

I tend to get very upset when someone cuts infront of me. When an opportunity arise to line up with them later, I take a look at the driver. Most of the time they look perfectly sane and decent person, not the ruffian I would expect.
Guite is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 22:55   #8981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I think we Indians are very selfish and too competitive. It's the way our education system and environment has brought us up: I must be better / score higher than my friend / neighbour / that stranger. That's why we must be always infront of, not behind, that other car on the road. So concept of giving way does not exist. We are not rude. We are like that only :-).

I tend to get very upset when someone cuts infront of me. When an opportunity arise to line up with them later, I take a look at the driver. Most of the time they look perfectly sane and decent person, not the ruffian I would expect.
I agree with you as far as driving in India is concerned but not true while driving in developed countries. I have found every Indian, myself included, to be supremely courteous and humble while driving abroad. Friends / relatives giving way to pedestrians, other cars and not touching the horn out there are found honking and cutting lanes in here. Adaptation, maybe?
ragh_bhushan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 23:47   #8982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
I have found every Indian, myself included, to be supremely courteous and humble while driving abroad.
I hope not to hurt anybody by telling this story, but a certain gentleman from Madras, a good friend of mine, after passing his British driving test, drove by the book... For six months. Then, one day, he seemed to think he was in Madras again!

Of course, for past ten years. I have been the Indian driver, and has been the British driver, so these days, who knows: maybe it would be my driving that would scare him!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st February 2017 at 23:49.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:55   #8983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mate, what the hell was that? She is behaving like a jaywalker crossing a busy road. The pillion rider looks embarrassed after this antic.
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:07   #8984
BHPian

Quote:

What is the issue? No indicators, no hand signals, not even a look back to see if road is clear [forget looking into mirrors, does not even have them]

And the clincher? No rear lights! Dude was practically invisible!
A similar situation happened with me yesterday inside city limits with an auto rickshaw. I was on the right lane of a divided road at 30-35kmph at about 9.15pm. There was an auto waiting to turn right at the end of the divider (not a traffic signal). No rear lights, no indicator lights and because of its black colour, was practically invisible. I had to panic brake at the last moment when I could spot it. The heart skipped a beat. Had I been at a higher speed, it might have been difficult to stop immediately without hitting it. Lights should be regularly checked, and repaired/replaced since they are very very important. Some people don't seem to get that rear lights are as important, if not more, than front lights.
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:56   #8985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Mate, what the hell was that? She is behaving like a jaywalker crossing a busy road. The pillion rider looks embarrassed after this antic.
What was interesting to note was the change in expression of the driver. While cutting through the traffic she had a look of pleading on her face. As if others should take sympathy on her and allow her to break the junction like that.

But once she finished her mad crossing she had a look of gloating achievement on her face while the pillion rider like you said was embarrassed to the max.

God knows what they were trying to prove.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks