Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2019, 19:47   #10696
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How does anyone so ignorant get behind the wheel of a car? Has he never even walked on a beach? Does he not know about soft sand, which can trap a car even when dry? Did he never paddle in the water? Perhaps he doesn't even know... that it is wet!

And plainly, he has no idea how corrosive sea water is.
The driver might be of the opinion that a "Beast" will handle better than a human, that a beast is more powerful and intelligent than Himself. That's all I can think of.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 20:08   #10697
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can be a bad driver even when not driving on anything called "Roads". Call that obsession (others do elsewhere so I should do it too) or plain stupidity, the driver of this vehicle qualifies for a Bad Driver.
Seems like some one who wholeheartedly believed Google Maps .
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 20:17   #10698
BHPian

Quote:
You can be a bad driver even when not driving on anything called "Roads". Call that obsession (others do elsewhere so I should do it too) or plain stupidity, the driver of this vehicle qualifies for a Bad Driver.
I think this guy must be booked under relevant sections. Endangering one's own life is a crime isn't it?
motobliss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 22:25   #10699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
I think this guy must be booked under relevant sections. Endangering one's own life is a crime isn't it?
Never mind his life. There is serious risk of pollution.
Old 11th June 2019, 08:47   #10700
BHPian

Yesterday on my way to town, I crossed a family riding a scooter, in pouring rain. The father (who was driving) had a helmet, his son was behind him (about 5~6 years of age). The wife behind holding a baby (maybe 7~9 months). The child was soaking wet and probably would end up with a very bad chest congestion. I don’t understand the reason why these people take chances like this, he could have taken the bus or hired an auto or taxi. What happens is the there are so many pot holes which when covered in water are killers.
Old 11th June 2019, 09:47   #10701
BHPian

Quote:

What happened to the car? The news anchor is heard saying it was recovered later by a tractor once the waves settled.
As per today's TOI, Tractor initially failed to recover the car during high tide. Had to wait till waves settled. Car was dug out of the sand & pulled out. Trying to start the engine did not worked out as the engine was flooded with water and had seized. No information about the damage to the interiors.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 10:18   #10702
BHPian

Saw a guy riding a Honda Activa on the pedestrian pavement, on the wrong side of the road, with insignia "If I am driving rashly, mind your own business".

Can't get any more emphatic than that, guess!

No photos though, was in a hurry to reach office.
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 14:51   #10703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I was a witness to this crazy lady who suddenly decided to cut in front of an I10, who was in the process of overtaking the two wheeler. The car was going very slow, so much so that he could stop without an incident.
Something similar happened to me two weeks back. No indicator, No looking back. Could have hit the Activa as well.
PapaBravo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 15:14   #10704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Could have hit the Activa as well.
You should forgive him for he smiled at you. That is the new way to escape the ire of the other drivers these days!!

If he was riding in the oncoming direction on a one way road, he may have turned on his headlights and not smiled and still you would have had to forgive him .
paragsachania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 09:05   #10705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very much so. They start as a babe in arms on the bike, and continue as a toddler standing on the scooter footboard.
And then grow up to do this

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-images.jpeg

On a serious note, I've seen few instances of families on 2-wheelers where all of them including the kid were wearing helmets and seated properly. I have rolled down my car window and flashed them a before moving on!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 16:17   #10706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Witnessed a scary scene today ...
We're past redemption, I really don't have any hope that our people will change for good, very sad indeed!
Blame the parents. Those parents who ignore basic safety when dropping their kids to the school bus pick-up points or schools, on their scooters and bikes, ignore the pace at which kids learn things. Riding without helmets, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding on footpaths, jumping signals, speeding - the parents are letting the kids think that these are acceptable and people can get away with it.

Not leaving out car drivers, but two-wheelers have the (dis)advantage of numbers.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 21:09   #10707
Senior - BHPian

I'm just back from a weekend trip, 2 days 5 temples in the deep south of India, with another BHPian (Prasanna). We were driving back to Chennai today morning when this happened -

End result of this - all happened behind us

The cyclist saw us coming and decided to turn back.

A motorcyclist swerved to avoid him

The cyclist fell swerving away from the motorcycle and got up with minor bruises

The motorcyclist hit a cycle parked on the roadside and fell himself

We moved away from there given we never touched any of them in the first place.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 22:07   #10708
BHPian

Even though i am a cautious driver, I become extra cautious when I spot two kinds of drivers on road:

1. Driving/riding with headphones on (yes headphones ).

2. Driving with ORVM folded in. I am not sure how these “expert” drivers do this, but i feel handicapped/uneasy if I am unable to check on vehicles from the side.
SideView is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 22:10   #10709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The cyclist saw us coming and decided to turn back.

A motorcyclist swerved to avoid him

The cyclist fell swerving away from the motorcycle and got up with minor bruises

The motorcyclist hit a cycle parked on the roadside and fell himself

We moved away from there given we never touched any of them in the first place.
No matter how good roads are offered to us, no matter how good vehicles we have, no matter how things are improving around us, our people on road will never improve and still want to live a century old life. I have been through similar conditions few years ago in Kerala. A cyclist in his own thoughts on left suddenly came in front of me. I thought he was drunk or lost his balance but none was true. In his own thoughts he just moved to right. It was a narrow escape for both of us. Fortunately I could stop the car (Santro Xing, no ABS in car, no rainy season and speed was relatively low) two feet before him.
He moved to left then and continued peacefully as if nothing happened. (We missed a few heart bits in car though )
Luckily nobody was trying to overtake me from left which is a common practice in Bangalore. Otherwise it would have caused your exact scenario but on left hand side instead of right.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 16th June 2019 at 22:14.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 07:40   #10710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Even though i am a cautious driver, I become extra cautious when I spot two kinds of drivers on road:

1. Driving/riding with headphones on (yes headphones ).

2. Driving with ORVM folded in. I am not sure how these “expert” drivers do this, but i feel handicapped/uneasy if I am unable to check on vehicles from the side.
+1 to that. Interestingly in countries like USA if you do not have all three mirrors in place and functional that car is called unfit for road. And here we fold them and consider ourselves as "expert drivers".
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks