Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2019, 09:07   #10711
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I was driving on the ORR in Hyderabad, on the way back from the airport. For those unfamiliar with the ORR, it's a 6-8 lane expressway (speed limit 100kmph), where everyone drives at 90+. I was in the fast lane, and I see a truck coming at me!!!

I had to brake hard and change lanes to the left to avoid a head-on collision. I believe, the following points aided my safety:
1. Although I too was at ~90 kmph, I maintained sufficient distance from the vehicle in front so I was able to see this truck before it was too late.
2. There was a gap between cars on the left (they too maintained distance between vehicles).
3. There was no one tailgating me!
4. This was on a straight and not on a blind curve.

Had any of the above 4 points not been true, I shudder to think what would have happened to me.

I've reported this to the cops, and they are following up (Telangana cops rock!). Sadly, I couldn't make out the number plate from the video.

See for yourselves:
DDiSLover is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 10:10   #10712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
I was driving on the ORR in Hyderabad, on the way back from the airport....
I've reported this to the cops, and they are following up (Telangana cops rock!).
Over the last one week I encountered a few such rogue trucks on ORR. Seems like these incidents are no more sporadic. Wrong way driving on expressways especially on high speed lines is a serious offense and often catastrophic. Doing this on left side shoulders is one thing, and we see this quite regularly on 4 lane highways by tractors and lorry's, but on right most lane it is extreme.

Hyderabad traffic police have been successfully governing the ORR with iron fist. Their attempts to catch and punish over-speeding has been very effective. I know people who received challan's online for doing 105kmph. Not sure if they focused all their energies to nab only speed merchants and went soft on other offenders. In any case they have to curb this dangerous menace. Hopefully motorists can cruise on this wonderful road without having to worry about such nuisances.

Last edited by strawhat : 18th June 2019 at 10:14.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 10:07   #10713
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not how you drive, it's how you park....

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img20190623wa0137.jpg

PC: My friend.

One can actually defend that the Alto driver is right, for he may have arrived first and parked at an angle in such a road that liberates more space for moving traffic and rest of all who parked straight are all bad drivers but very unlikely because at least some among the rest would have attempted to park at an angle like the Alto did.

Well, the Alto is again parked at a bad angle too. So certainly deserves to be featured on this thread.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th June 2019 at 10:12.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 10:40   #10714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One can actually defend that the Alto driver is right, for he may have arrived first and parked at an angle in such a road that liberates more space for moving traffic and rest of all who parked straight are all bad drivers but very unlikely because at least some among the rest would have attempted to park at an angle like the Alto did.

Well, the Alto is again parked at a bad angle too. So certainly deserves to be featured on this thread.
Looking at the width of the road and the way the cars are parked at the end of the pic, benefit of doubt can be given to the Alto driver. However rather than parking at a bad angle he could have parked parallel to the road, that would have actually saved him from getting featured here.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th June 2019 at 13:31. Reason: Formatting quotes post
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 14:17   #10715
BHPian

Quote:
Another possibility - He might have parked that way so as to reserve the parking spot to another car of his friend

Last edited by bvasista : 24th June 2019 at 14:18. Reason: space
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 09:40   #10716
Distinguished - BHPian

A common sight here. Even though they need to turn left after few meters, they do this since there's a good opportunity to barge in. The red Dzire gave an earful but you can see the conductor letting it off with a good smile.

naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 10:01   #10717
BHPian

Last evening around 6.30pm, I was riding my 2-wheeler back home from work. This was at GM Palya (just after BEML Gate junction).
A cow with its calf was walking in the same direction as me but in the opposite lane. An impatient Scorpio did not slow down but simply dodged the bovines, swerved and passed them on the kerb side.
A Xylo behind him was even worse,, he starting flashing his headlamps on the bovines instead of braking! . I don't know what response he expected from the cattle!
To think we share our roads with idiots like these makes me squirm
srvm is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 09:37   #10718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite a few captured yesterday.

1. Tata Tigor decides to stop in the middle of the road and turn right. A last minute decision by him could have been worse. Skip to 40s and the Celerio dude stops in the middle of the road to ask for directions (I suppose).

2. Never saw this one coming. Was driven by bunch of kids. They didn't like me when I overtook them and tried all stunts to catch me. Beware of this car - KL-42-P-529

3. Cannot keep these guys out since they are the top contributors . Dude does his text book stunt.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th June 2019 at 13:26. Reason: Spacing
naveen.raju is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 09:59   #10719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
3. Cannot keep these guys out since they are the top contributors . Dude does his text book stunt.
I will add all School buses, Tempo Travellers to this list too. They assume that the stance of their so called Bigger vehicle and a slight nudge the way this Bus driver did is good enough for smaller car drivers to get scared and give way.

If this is not enough, just to mitigate the situation, these drivers nicely pull out their hand and signal right at the same moment when the other hand is actually steering the vehicle into your lane. Gone are the days of common sense where Hand signals or indicators means giving someone "advance" notice.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 11:04   #10720
BHPian

Quote:

1. Tata Tigor decides to stop in the middle of the road and turn right. A last minute decision by him could have been worse.
Seen this too many times, especially after the dividers have come up after the metro construction. There's literally another break in the divider coupla hundred meters ahead! I remember having seen a few police interceptor Taveras with cameras fitted all over, to catch traffic offenders. Wonder where they are now?

OT: Having moved out of Cochin some time ago, I had hoped to see better traffic manners. Coimbatore cheerfully quashed that dream!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th June 2019 at 13:25. Reason: Spacing
Old 26th June 2019, 11:28   #10721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If this is not enough, just to mitigate the situation, these drivers nicely pull out their hand and signal right at the same moment when the other hand is actually steering the vehicle into your lane. Gone are the days of common sense where Hand signals or indicators means giving someone "advance" notice.
You mean this? . This dude tried to squeeze in but was too close to my car.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Seen this too many times, especially after the dividers have come up after the metro construction. There's literally another break in the divider coupla hundred meters ahead! I remember having seen a few police interceptor Taveras with cameras fitted all over, to catch traffic offenders. Wonder where they are now?
This particular spot has few unscientific dividers and he could have gone ahead few feet to make the turn. But again, most of these dividers are being closed as I write this post (It's a menace since many park their cars here).

Taveras can be seen along the highway, but not always (near Oberon, Thykoodam bridge, Lakeshore bridge, Aroor - this can be seen always).
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 13:40   #10722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Tata Tigor decides to stop in the middle of the road and turn right. A last minute decision by him could have been worse. Skip to 40s and the Celerio dude stops in the middle of the road to ask for directions (I suppose).
On a lighter note, do you have something special fitted on your car that each and everyone wants to have a look at, by stopping abruptly in front of you
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 09:49   #10723
BHPian

Quote:
It's not how you drive, it's how you park....

Attachment 1887344

PC: My friend.

snipped.
I suspect this is at Cubbon Park where this is actually a "one way" where you enter from near the aquarium and exit near the metro station. I prefer that people park at 90 degrees here instead of parallel parking, as it simply allows more cars to be accommodated.
ajayclicks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 10:17   #10724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I suspect this is at Cubbon Park where this is actually a "one way" where you enter from near the aquarium and exit near the metro station. I prefer that people park at 90 degrees here instead of parallel parking, as it simply allows more cars to be accommodated.
This is indeed from Cubbon park only as my friend clicked during his morning stroll.

However, the bad driver in that Alto shall remain one isn't it? :-).
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 13:18   #10725
Distinguished - BHPian

While on my way back home from Lucknow yesterday, I came across this. He was driving like a maniac. At first, he tried to pass through a non-existant gap, then kept on continuously honking. I let him pass as such morons are better to be left alone.

I've added music so that this video sounds good.
The camera is a Viofo129 Dual and the software used is Vidtrim available on Google Play Store.
BoneCollector is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed