Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2019, 22:12   #10846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Shouldn't it be like mirror / shoulder check first followed by indicate if the path is clear and then start changing lane? Just trying to understand the right method.

I was merely stating the components rather than the sequence. Also it is better to do a shoulder and mirror check just prior to changing lanes even if you have your indicator on and have checked before you switched them on. I have seen cars from behind me change lanes and immediately overtake me the moment I switch on the indicator because they sense that the coast is clear!

Still on the subject of changing lanes, here is another interesting video from my dash-cam during the same trip.

The Baleno indicates and takes that as right of way to get into my lane and ignores my honking. No big deal - happens every few minutes on the Chennai-Vellore-bangalore highway.
The Scorpio barges in literally 'slipstreaming' (sarcasm intended) from behind me simply because he is bigger and looks meaner. My puny little xcent could just whimper out a long honk.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 24th August 2019 at 22:30.
BenjiRoss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 10:11   #10847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Road or no road, it doesn't matter to this guy.
This will remind me to never stop at such narrow roadside shoulders again, no matter how urgent our situation is.

But I can't say the same for all our road users. So many 2 wheeler users take their 4 members out on the highway and stop right on the shoulder line for their kids to consume water by the side of the highways outside of Chennai. I hope that some divine power keeps those families safe.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 15:05   #10848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
While travelling from Vellore to Chennai, I hate the Hyundai staff buses near Sriperambudur.
Its not only Hyundai sir, Nissan buses also do that and for a matter of fact as many already told here, many staff buses are driven rashly, pushing others to make way.

I guess about a month ago, it rained heavily near Navallur and then changed into a drizzle when I was nearing Shollinganur on OMR road. Nissan staff bus with images of kicks all around it, was tailgating my car very closely. Finally when he gets a chance to over take me, he stops to the left, drops some employees and then the game starts again.

Note: I was going with the speed of the traffic and not blocking others. Nissan bus was the only one which was trying to overtake every one, blinking headlights to make way forward while other vehicles were moving slowly due to the drizzle including mine.

Last edited by bvasista : 26th August 2019 at 15:11. Reason: grammar correction
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 07:16   #10849
Senior - BHPian

Transferring files from my dash-cam over the next few days. Here are a couple of bad drivers.
1. School bus? Indian Public Nursery and Primary School bus traveling on the wrong side of the highway. This is near Kanchupuram (?Molachur). I couldn't find their website, but the phone number on the bus is clearly visible. I hope this isn't a daily occurrence. The bus seemed empty but it was end-of-school time. This is the Chennai to Vellore/Bangalore highway.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screen-shot-20190827-7.15.23-am.png

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screen-shot-20190827-7.15.39-am.png

2. Scooter vs mini-truck:
Interesting little duel that ends with just some fist shaking and angry words. Thankfully, no bloodshed or bruises or dents. What are your thoughts.

Old 28th August 2019, 11:55   #10850
BHPian

Quote:
Road or no road, it doesn't matter to this guy.

This is really dangerous driving. Overtaking on the left, where there was only sand and gravel. people could've been waiting to cross the road there or someone might have stopped their vehicles (another wrong thing to do) for their kids' potty breaks!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th August 2019 at 12:42. Reason: edited quoted post
Old 29th August 2019, 16:06   #10851
BHPian

The biker was busy looking/thinking something else and he failed to notice the puppy crossing the road. When he finally saw the puppy, it was already too late.

Old 29th August 2019, 16:57   #10852
BHPian

Quote:
The biker was busy looking/thinking something else and he failed to notice the puppy crossing the road. When he finally saw the puppy, it was already too late.
That was rather unpleasant to watch. :(
I suppose the puppy may have sustained some internal injuries and died soon after..

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2019 at 17:07. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 29th August 2019, 17:39   #10853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not see any mistake of the driver (not commenting on his riding gear). Rider's eyesight is at the on-coming traffic. He was surprised to see a puppy on the road, after overtaking another bike, the puppy being a fairly small object. For a moment the putty stopped. The rider was confused whether go behind it, or around it. By that time puppy had come under wheels. A very unfortunate incident.

Last edited by msdivy : 29th August 2019 at 17:41.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 19:28   #10854

The driver of the Eeco just left the car to talk to his friend (he can be seen at the starting of the video) on the other side of the road. Absolutely no respect for other's time.
Typical 'turning on the hazard lights give me the right to park anywhere' attitude.
zyeago is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 07:20   #10855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I do not see any mistake of the driver (not commenting on his riding gear). Rider's eyesight is at the on-coming traffic. He was surprised to see a puppy on the road, after overtaking another bike, the puppy being a fairly small object. For a moment the putty stopped. The rider was confused whether go behind it, or around it. By that time puppy had come under wheels. A very unfortunate incident.

I don't buy that argument. If the the rider was actually paying attention to oncoming traffic or anything in front of him, the puppy would have spent a good few seconds in his peripheral vision for him to slow down or take alternate maneuvers. It wasn't until he was less than a metre away from the puppy that he probably actually registered the unusual small moving object that he panicked/showed any concern.
Old 4th September 2019, 09:03   #10856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyeago View Post
The driver of the Eeco just left the car to talk to his friend (he can be seen at the starting of the video) on the other side of the road. Absolutely no respect for other's time.
Typical 'turning on the hazard lights give me the right to park anywhere' attitude.
Well, the Eeco driver isn't the only bad driver in the video.
The white WagonR, Blue Polo arrive at the signal on the wrong side of the median around 52s into the video. Followed by at least 3 more idiots. None of those guys seem to respect traffic rules or others time either.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 09:38   #10857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Well, the Eeco driver isn't the only bad driver in the video.
This thread is about Bad drivers, not about regular drivers .

Hence, the Eeco driver takes the cake and walks away, literally!
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 12:51   #10858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyeago View Post

In his peanut sized brain, turning on the hazard lights and stopping anywhere is the traffic rule. Try arguing with such idiots, they will give you arguments like "Meine Double Blinker on to kar rakhe hain" (I have switched on double blinkers) or it can be better in this belt of the country "Yahin khadi karunga tu kya kar lega" (Will park it here what will you do?)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th September 2019 at 12:58. Reason: trimmed quoted post
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 19:53   #10859
Senior - BHPian

Two more bad drivers / near misses from the weekend.
1. The usual trucker who changes lane without looking in the mirror assuming everyone gives way when he turns on the indicator. The Etios is in the blind spot and almost gets pushed against the side of the road. Honking and flashing lights don't mean a thing to the trucker. I manage to overtake the truck too, after a long blast from my horn - maybe I would have been better off just staying behind the truck.

2. I delayed an overtaking lane change watching these two cars come fast on the fast lane - they had right of way. After they overtook the truck behind the red Liva, they both simultaneously change lanes to overtake the Liva (which itself started going back to the middle lane). This almost caused a pile up, but both these drivers didnt care and all that mattered was who vroomed out ahead!
Overtaking and getting back to the non-overtaking lane can be dangerous with such drivers behind you!

BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 23:05   #10860
BHPian

Apologies for lack of clarity as this happened after the rains and dust had settled over the windshield. Wiper blades do not cover that area..

Anyways, we see these idiots almost every day and some morons on super bikes as well. They come out at night and ride all over the roads below the elevated airport road near GKVK and Jakkur. I have reported and shared these videos to BTP but no response, save for the automated reply.

Half the criminal activities like chain snatching, robberies, etc will come to a halt if these are caught and jailed.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks