Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2019, 08:42   #10981
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I dont think the biker was overtaking. Merely sticking to the shoulder lane where he has right of way.

Not exactly related to this but curious to know what BHPians think about this video ( in Tamil but the actions are mostly self explanatory) by Tamil Nadu police which says two wheelers should stick to the shoulder of the highway (if available) and not get on to the wider lanes. I used to think that the lane was meant only to stop in emergencies but it is definitely a lot more pleasant drive when bikers stick to the shoulder lane.
Shoulder is not meant for bikes. That's not even a lane. It is dangerous to ride on the shoulder. Tiruppur police is wrong I think.

As per design these are not lanes. But if any circular has been released that this may be considered lanes then am not aware. If anyone has any further info, please share

Last edited by mallumowgli : 17th December 2019 at 08:48.
mallumowgli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 14:04   #10982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Shoulder is not meant for bikes. That's not even a lane. It is dangerous to ride on the shoulder. Tiruppur police is wrong I think.

As per design these are not lanes. But if any circular has been released that this may be considered lanes then am not aware. If anyone has any further info, please share
Apologies for any confusion. By riding along the shoulder i meant sticking to the left lane.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 23:14   #10983
Distinguished - BHPian

Left-lane overtaking always dangerous.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 15:14   #10984
BHPian

Saw one bad driver and had an argument with another bad rider (and his pillion) yesterday.

I was riding home on my Activa and on a stretch of road I could see this motorcycle rider jump over the divider from the space provided for pedestrians to cross. For this he had to ride his vehicle over the small divider step in the gap and then he wanted to go on straight into a side lane.

I slowed down but had to be careful since a car was following me rather closely. Just then this stupid individual stopped right in the middle since he had spotted a small stone and wanted to save his motorcycle from going over it.

I had to panic brake since I (stupidly I admit) had assumed that he would have completed his turn by the time I reached there. While passing him I (again stupidly) called out - please be careful. That's it. The duo on the motorcycle followed me and argued with me saying that I was the one who was at fault.

Anyway, the second instance was somewhere further on my route. I was behind a hatchback and noticed it being driver rather in a stuttering manner. When I pulled up alongside at the next signal, I saw that the driver had kept his mobile in the slot behind the steering wheel (blocking the information panel) and was watching a hindi movie while driving ! With this new information I steered clear of the car for the rest of the journey.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 16:44   #10985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
I was riding home on my Activa and on a stretch of road I could see this motorcycle rider jump over the divider from the space provided for pedestrians to cross. For this he had to ride his vehicle over the small divider step in the gap and then he wanted to go on straight into a side lane.
Guess it's not a local thing! Happens all the time near my house, on the way to office. It happens so much that, google maps asks me to take a u-turn there.

All the more frustrating considering the fact that the actual U-Turn is just a few meters away.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 13:27   #10986
BHPian

I am not sure if this fits in here. Chennai folks would know that Tidel park junction is one of busiest road in Chennai. A lovable dad was driving with his kid seated in his lap in Tidel park junction. I seriously hope they reach home safely.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please proof read your post before submitting it. It would be a good idea to use spell checkers.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-65743ec42e344411ae6a010067193e42.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 25th December 2019 at 10:52. Reason: Mod note attached.
vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:26   #10987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
I am not sure if this fits in here. Chennai foks would know that Tidel park junction is one of busiest road in Chennai. A loveable dad was driving with his kid seated in his lap in Tidel park junction.
Certainly qualifies for this thread and multiple threads on child safety on this forum!
So does this family/driver.
The child is in the boot of the hatchback driving at 100 kmph on the Bangalore Chennai highway!
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 02:22   #10988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Certainly qualifies for this thread and multiple threads on child safety on this forum!
We need a separate thread on all the dangerous antics and stunts people do with their vehicles and children on our roads.

Just in the last 2 days, I have encountered several idiots driving with babies on laps, a kid standing on back seat of a moving scooter, a 8-9 year old kid driving a scooter on a highway with his parent sitting in the back with a beaming smile of pride, a guy who was riding a scooter with one hand and holding a small kid on the other hand and more.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 21st December 2019 at 02:23.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 09:56   #10989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The child is in the boot of the hatchback driving at 100 kmph on the Bangalore Chennai highway!
I've also seen something similar, though not where the child is in the boot. When coming back from Mangalore a few months back, there was this Brio going well over 100 kmph and driving like as if he was trying to escape the mafia. Caught up with the guy at a toll booth and I saw the guy has kids in the back with no seat belt on! I mean, do people take complete leave of their senses the moment they get into any vehicle?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:23   #10990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
A loveable dad was driving with his kid seated in his lap in Tidel park junction. I seriously hope they reach home safely
Similar to this, while I was crossing the road at a zebra crossing near AGS in Navallur, Chennai, a Baleno stopped for us to cross. I was glad that he stopped for pedestrian crossing and wanted to show thumbs up to the driver but was surprised to see a kid in his lap and he was feeding the kid with a slice of bread.

I could see that there were people present in the rear seat also and do not have any clue why the poor driver has to manage feeding the kid along with driving part.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:16   #10991
BHPian

I have recently started using the two wheeler again to go to office since the rains have stopped. This change affords me to reach a little earlier and also helps to navigate traffic jams and use internal roads where I would not dare drive the car.

However, the sense of security while driving a car is gone with the two wheeler. And what's up with all the zooming and zapping by people !! It has happened so many times that some idiot in a hurry zooms past driving so close to me that I am caught by surprise and have to try hard to maintain my lane and my balance.

These guys (and girls too) rush past only to halt at the next signal where I pull up slowly with a satisfied grin on my face. I have seen some elderly riders struggle whenever such idiots consider the road their private racing track.
luvDriving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 16:54   #10992
BHPian

This happened to me on the way home today, it was a close call. The taxi driver was trying for an overtake at a blind curve on a narrow road.

sparky@home is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 00:07   #10993
Senior - BHPian

1) A restless and helmetless guy tailing a bus and trying to squeeze in and overtake through the left side multiple times.

2) A near miss and an example of 'How NOT to negotiate a hairpin curve'. Indica Vista encroaches into the opposite lane and almost hits a Innova Crysta

Klub Class is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 04:38   #10994
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I've also seen something similar, though not where the child is in the boot. guy has kids in the back with no seat belt on! I mean, do people take complete leave of their senses the moment they get into any vehicle?
Assuming of course that they had some sense in the first place!
My Dad and I have been driving around on Sundays - short day trips to various places outside Bangalore.
Without exception, we ve noted, irrespective of the direction we’ve gone in, that almost ALL two wheeler (commuter bike) riders on the highways, do NOT wear helmets.
And we also noted that it is an invariably common behaviour amongst two wheelers, auto rickshaws and tractors, that they MUST Make Shortcuts and travel illegally on absolutely the wrong side of the road, in the opposite direction to on going high speed traffic and their lights must be blazingly on.

This is the situation on the high speed highways of our lovely country.
And it is probably never going to change.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 14:35   #10995
Senior - BHPian

This happened yesterday at the entry toll plaza for NICE Road at the junction with Mysore road.

This plaza has 6 lanes to enter, in two clusters of three each. Yesterday one lane on each cluster was closed for repainting the walls, so there was a bit of a pileup. I was waiting in line on the left lane of cluster 2. Middle lane was blocked, and the right lane had a similar line. One i20 arrived skipping the queue, and positioned itself in a way that it could squeeze into the right lane where the divider starts, in front of a truck.

At this point an ambulance arrived and started honking at the middle lane. No plaza staff was visible and the painting people were confused. So the truck driver in front of me got out to move the barricade out of the way. The way he did it he blocked our i20 man's way but no matter, once the ambulance passed through he squeezed behind it, shouting at the truck driver for good measure.

The Indian ambulance chaser.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks