arjithin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 19:10   #10562
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
How not to turn left to a main road !
Not India. Possibly GB?

Nonetheless, this is now the standard method for Indian two-wheelers (and a growing number of 4-wheelers) to turn. Neck locked, eyes only ahead, never on where the traffic is coming from: it is supposed to avoid them.

In fairness, maybe I should say that I learnt this lesson the hard way, driving a four-wheeler. In fact, just about all my own-fault scrapes have been because I was wasn't looking in the right direction. But I don't do it every time.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 03:16   #10563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not India. Possibly GB?
It's south east suburbs of Melbourne, Australia.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 12:05   #10564
Distinguished - BHPian

He didn't want to wait or go over the manhole. So tried a risky move and hit the scooter that was next to him.

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 13:44   #10565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
He didn't want to wait or go over the manhole.
Nobody likes a bumpy ride, but it is better than death! I keep seeing this, especially with two- and three-wheelers: they would rather drive in the face of oncoming traffic than handle one small hole or bump.

WHY?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 10:07   #10566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
[b]This is not the first time it's happening. Employees at Rajasree Motors are known for their reckless driving and stunts. Hell, I have even seen an employee take a sort of handbrake turn on the national highway, numerous wheel spins etc and all that on customer vehicles.
Naveen, good job bringing this to the notice of the higher ups in Mercedes Benz. I have also noticed on multiple occasions, their staff driving their vehicles in a very rash manner while swerving and continuously honking at other vehicles to move out of the way. So much so that any time I see a MB in the RVM, I usually try to move out of the way as I don't want to be within an arms distance of these terrible drivers.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2019 at 17:06. Reason: Duplicate word removed.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:52   #10567
Senior - BHPian

How do you spot bad drivers on the highway. They turn on their lights when they come close to you on the wrong side:

Turning into the highway at a crossroad is a lost art:

Both these highlight one of the dangers when you use the left lane on highways. While you are expected to use it unless overtaking, the situation is such that you can use it for overtaking slow moving vehicles on the right lane and also vehicles that peep into the right lane while waiting to turn. Although I anticipated both these and saw them, I was quite slow in reacting albeit with no accidents resulting.
Old 14th March 2019, 13:53   #10568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
How not to turn left to a main road !
Reminded me of a sight I saw only a few month back:

Scene of the crime: Sahakar Nagar, B'lore. The main road (railway parallel) right in front of Brahmin's kitchen/hotel.

The Scene: Lady driving an alto with her child in it. She's turning right on to the main road (railway parallel). She stops to check if it's safe to do and moves ahead.

A middle-aged guy driving a dzire rushes in from one side of the railway parallel road to the other trying to beat the alto.

Consequence: Alto strikes the dzire. The dzire is briefly air-borne. Lands safe at the end. Minor dents and scratches all around.

Consequences after the consequence: The middle-aged guys comes out furious. A swarm of cops with palpable delight on their faces gather around the scene. They were possibly having breakfast or whatever and found reasons to be happy about.

What could I do: I asked for the senior most cop and gave an account of my observation. They didn't seem interested. I assumed palm-greasing was in sight; Law-and-order...well, stuff it!
Miyata is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 20:56   #10569
Team-BHP Support

Date: March 15, 2019.
Time: 10:30 AM
Location: Entry Ramp for the Gachibowli Exit on the Hyderabad ORR, while coming from the Airport side.

These drivers don't realize the dangers of wrong side driving on a high speed expressway.

Last edited by bblost : 15th March 2019 at 21:10.
bblost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 15:46   #10570
Senior - BHPian

How not to take a right turn while riding a bike.

blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 16:08   #10571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Or cross over to the wrong side of the road, turn right again riding on the wrong side and diagonally cut into your actual lane. Of course not watching mirrors or anything else.

The last genius to narrowly miss plastering himself on my Scorpio started saying "I am an experienced driver! Why are you lecturing me on riding a bike?"
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 09:38   #10572
BHPian

Quote:
This is a horrible habit that we see frequently nowadays. I need to check my left and right even if I'm going straight. That biker is totally dependent on car drivers ability to notice and brake in time. They can wait for a few seconds and go behind the car, but they have a compulsion to save those precious seconds.
the_joker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 10:51   #10573
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
This is a horrible habit that we see frequently nowadays. I need to check my left and right even if I'm going straight. That biker is totally dependent on car drivers ability to notice and brake in time. They can wait for a few seconds and go behind the car, but they have a compulsion to save those precious seconds.
Not taking the biker's side here. But let me add my 2 cents here, since I regularly drive both 2 & 4-wheeler in Bangalore traffic.

While riding a 2-wheeler, if I were in the middle lane of the traffic and wanted to take right at the signal (just like the biker in the video), I presume that the car in the right lane is also waiting to take the right-turn and not go straight. Else he/she would be in the middle lane, right? That'll be my thinking. Hence I'd think I'm safe when I'm out-flanking the car during the turn maneuver. Also remember, the car driver could be indicating a right turn but the right blinkers are usually not visible to the bike guy.

But as a car driver (particularly in new/unknown junctions), many a times I get stuck in right lane even though I wish to go straight (just like in the video by blackasta). Guessing what the 2-wheeler rider is probably thinking (as explained above), I often turn on my left blinker at such situations to let know of the bikers/cars on my left that I don't intend to take right, instead I plan to go straight ahead/or maybe even trying to merge into left-most lane. This has helped me often - as in - many 2-wheeler riders are atleast aware that I'm not taking the right turn.

Hope this helps.
srvm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 11:50   #10574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hope this helps.
I was ranting a bit. At least if the biker had his indicators on, it would help tell that he is taking a right turn. I have had bikers take a u-turn in front of me - making me brake suddenly even if I was taking a right or a u turn.

Yours is a balanced viewpoint. Also, the mention of using left indicator to show you aren't going right is good defensive driving in India. I will try to incorporate it. But I don't think out-flanking a car is a good idea because if the car driver decides to abandon turn or change lanes in a turn, he will crash into you.
the_joker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 13:30   #10575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hope this helps.
The biker was initially behind me with no indicators on.
The road has 2 lanes - the left one a dedicated straight lane, the right one a mixed use straight + right lane.
I was on the right lane because no car in front of me had right blinkers on.
The cab you see just beside me (9979) is straddling between 2 lanes, and I let him go as there's no point in trading paint with a cab at a signal.
Seeing me slow down & yield, this biker overtakes me from my left and then cuts me from my blind side to take a right turn in front of my car, all the while with no blinkers or even hand signals.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks