Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 06:17   #10501
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,455
Thanked: 21,044 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
The truck changed lane to take a left turn, no indicators, no helper to guide him.
That was close and thankfully your experience of regular driving on the highway helped - You were not in a hurry to quickly move to the slow lane and overtake the moment you noticed this truck change lane. So you were very much in control. One could say you were lucky that you got good space on left to escape a collision but if there was no space, the truck would not have made this move as well and continued straight .
Quote:
I assumed that the truck is changing lanes as they usually drive on the fast lane on a 2-laned highway.
Indeed. What is important here whenever a truck gets onto the main highway from a fuel station or a dhaba is that "PAUSE" on the A-Pedal to see his next action and that is most likely switching to the fast lane! On how fast they switch to this lane will entirely depend on the type of truck, load, local or long-haul etc. End of the day, that patience matters a lot here.

However, what I am always apprehensive and paranoid about when driving especially on highways that witness less traffic is careless lane switching by these trucks without any reason or indication. They would never do this on a highway with even decent (if not thick) traffic. And this also depends on the time of day as well - Mostly super early mornings is when these drivers may assume there is no fast car around and a truck with an intent to overtake will only pass with a honk.

On return from Jabalpur, it happened twice, where a truck on the fast lane without a curve (at times they gain momentum by switching lanes on a curve), switched lanes in a jiffy without any warning and there was absolutely nothing ahead of it that he was trying to avoid!

From so many Km behind the wheel at various times of the day and sections of our country, one thing I always do even if I am the only one with that truck that I am about to pass is to H-O-N-K briefly (very short to grab attention) when I am about to cross that truck. At night, apart from a flash from Lo to Hi, I again H-O-N-K to grab attention because the truck driver should not assume me as another faster truck or a Bus approaching at 80 Kmph but is a faster car at 110-120 Kmph and that sound of the horn from a car easily hints the driver to differentiate between an LMV vs HCV.

Safe Driving!!
paragsachania is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 08:31   #10502
Team-BHP Support
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea (Bihar)
Posts: 7,128
Thanked: 9,448 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

That is some luck BHPian sinharishi to have a run-off area. I tried to pump up the volume to listen you honking, but probably its disabled. I have a different set of horns for the highway, exclusively. It does help, for these kind of drivers and with teens who have ear-plugs plugged deeply inside their system.

On a bike, I can't do much , but I am just more cautious and aware.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 09:23   #10503
Senior - BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 1,564
Thanked: 4,409 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
... one thing I always do even if I am the only one with that truck that I am about to pass is to H-O-N-K briefly (very short to grab attention) when I am about to cross that truck.

Safe Driving!!
Honking is, I feel, the most important safety device in an automobile for driving in India. It ensures that you do not surprise anyone and they know that you are coming - vehicles and pedestrians. Honking does not have to be loud. A squeak is enough for pedestrians and a short jab is enough for most vehicles. The long and loud honk should only be reserved for emergencies and to convey your disgust.
samaspire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 10:57   #10504
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,455
Thanked: 21,044 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
A squeak is enough for pedestrians and a short jab is enough for most vehicles.
Perfect and this is exactly why I use horns. The long honks are reserved for situations when 2 Tata Aces are overtaking each other and you are following them since the last 2 kms and the gap hasn't been much to pass between them .

In fact, my only accident till date (touchwood!), was when one of the dual horns failed in the WagonR and I was waiting to turn left a signal next to a Tipper, nearly in his blind spot and I could no way grab his attention when he started to take left as my horn was seldom audible to him. Only recently the car had returned from service and a loose coupler had resulted in only one horn working.
paragsachania is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 12:37   #10505
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,413
Thanked: 4,865 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I typically love watching "thug life" meme videos on YouTube to pass time. But here's a stupid motorcyclist who I spotted living the bug life...meaning, he's alive today and getting squashed sooner rather than later!
locusjag is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 14:55   #10506
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,643
Thanked: 15,990 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Couldn't see (on the small screen) if the digger was indicating. If not, I have sympathy for the biker, if so, then I have none.

Worse is when they slip through small gaps. Just a touch on the steering wheel of one the cars could cost them at least a leg or two, instead of a few seconds wait.

Supreme lack of awareness in these guys. And guyesses: they have taught their wives and daughters to ride just as stupidly.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 17:03   #10507
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,413
Thanked: 4,865 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Couldn't see (on the small screen) if the digger was indicating. If not, I have sympathy for the biker, if so, then I have none.
The digger didn't have any working brake lights nor turn indicators.
And yes - just like any heavy vehicle in India, this one didn't have working lights. But we all drive carefully around Indian heavy commercial vehicles since we literally have our own skin in the game. We can't die or get maimed and then argue that the heavy vehicle didn't signal

So, based on the digger's dip in speed and the frequent turning of the operator's head, I knew to slow down at that time and wait. And at one point, he did beckon with his hand that he was going to turn. These deep observations of mine were made through the course of a good few seconds.

What was the biker's total time investment? I have respect for the other bikers who knew to wait. But this particular one is a bug alright. I pity only his family.

Quote:
Worse is when they slip through small gaps. Just a touch on the steering wheel of one the cars could cost them at least a leg or two, instead of a few seconds wait.

Supreme lack of awareness in these guys. And guyesses: they have taught their wives and daughters to ride just as stupidly.
I have one more video lined up (yet to publish it though) where another bug lifer squeezed in behind a taxi executing a 3 point turn and then had the temerity to scold the taxi-wallah. This is the state of our nation

Lastly, pardon me Mr.Thad for the snarkiness in my reply. I assure you that all my snarkiness is directed toward Mr.Bug Life here, not at you.
locusjag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 17:58   #10508
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,643
Thanked: 15,990 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The digger didn't have any working brake lights nor turn indicators. And yes - just like any heavy vehicle in India, this one didn't have working lights.
And the driver didn't even have an arm to stick out!
Quote:
But we all drive carefully around Indian heavy commercial vehicles since we literally have our own skin in the game. We can't die or get maimed and then argue that the heavy vehicle didn't signal
And heavy equipment like that does not have crumple zones. I keep even further away from them than I do from buffaloes. (They are, apparently, quite nice-natured animals, but that doesn't mean I want one to even lean on my car)
Quote:
So, based on the digger's dip in speed and the frequent turning of the operator's head, I knew to slow down at that time and wait. And at one point, he did beckon with his hand that he was going to turn. These deep observations of mine were made through the course of a good few seconds.
Spot on on-the-spot observation. I sort-of forgot that this was dash cam, and your dash cam, and you were there!

Your actions were the good example. The biker was not so much riding/driving as blundering: no concern or interest in what the rest of the world is doing, even when it is big, heavy, and very close.
Quote:
I have one more video lined up (yet to publish it though) where another bug lifer squeezed in behind a taxi executing a 3 point turn and then had the temerity to scold the taxi-wallah. This is the state of our nation
Yep. Typical.
Quote:
Lastly, pardon me Mr.Thad for the snarkiness in my reply. I assure you that all my snarkiness is directed toward Mr.Bug Life here, not at you.
Absolutely no problem. We both share the same feelings and point of view. And, as I said, I sort of forgot that your post was eye-witness
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 15:02   #10509
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,038
Thanked: 7,881 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
This happened on Saturday on NH-48 near Udaipur. The truck changed lane to take a left turn, no indicators, no helper to guide him.
Super close call.

Similar thing happened to me, but I was on a motorbike, and flying away to glory (as always to overtake big trucks). I was completely sandwiched to the left with no exit (the trucker decided to park abruptly). Gods grace, I happened to brake hard enough to not end up in a ditch in the service lane.

Since then, I just try and avoid overtakes on the cycle lane unless there are a bunch of other motorcyclists ahead of me using that lane.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 17:09   #10510
BHPian
 
swissknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chennai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 1,337 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Highway driving behaviour is mixed at best. There are some trucks, buses that use the slower (left lanes) while there are others who stick to the fast lane (right most). While they may be driving at the speed limit of 80kmph, it is hard to stay behind them all the time. Passing vehicles that stick to the fast lanes is what I call, undertaking rather than overtaking. I try add much as possible to have the vehicles that I pass to move over to the slower lanes before I pass them. In the worst case when I have to pass them on their left, I do so only when I have a clear view of the road ahead for at least 500 meters.
swissknife is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 17:32   #10511
BHPian
 
sinharishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 603
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That was close and thankfully your experience of regular driving on the highway helped - You were not in a hurry to quickly move to the slow lane and overtake the moment you noticed this truck change lane. So you were very much in control.
Yes, I did slow down, always do, you never know whats ahead of the truck in the left lane. There was no indicator given, there was no helper, also it was really tough to judge the turn on the curve.

I did give a long honk, hearing that the truck stopped. One can notice the truck stopping at the very last moment in the video. I kept honking till I passed him.

Cartoq has published an article on this close call. After reading the article, I will just say this:

Those who drive extensively on the highway will understand how much trucks love the right lane and overtaking often from the left lane is the only choice you have on a 2-lane highway.

Last edited by sinharishi : 19th January 2019 at 17:33.
sinharishi is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 17:52   #10512
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,643
Thanked: 15,990 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Those who drive extensively on the highway will understand how much trucks love the right lane and overtaking often from the left lane is the only choice you have on a 2-lane highway.
Even those without extensive experience can accept this. What's more, they do the same even in the city

Last edited by ajmat : 24th January 2019 at 17:28. Reason: Stray comma!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 19:51   #10513
BHPian
 
pratyush6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 562
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
This happened on Saturday on NH-48 near Udaipur. The truck changed lane to take a left turn, no indicators, no helper to guide him. The truck was in motion, I assumed that the truck is changing lanes as they usually drive on the fast lane on a 2-laned highway.
I understand that without indicators this was a recipe for disaster, it's unfortunately most people on Indian highways drive. But, I was in your situation, I would have slowed down and waited to make sure of the truckers intentions.

You did see him going right, just wait for a couple of seconds and then clear him and you would be clear if he is going left (for which he needs this maneuver) or just changing lanes. Not Ideal, but considering defensive driving and your own safety. Glad to know you are safe!
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 18:17   #10514
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,691
Thanked: 2,638 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
This happened on Saturday on NH-48 near Udaipur.
You've made it into Malayala Manorama:

https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...see-video.html

Their commentary isn't very flattering for you though.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 19:05   #10515
BHPian
 
sinharishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 603
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You've made it into Malayala Manorama:

https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...see-video.html

Their commentary isn't very flattering for you though.
Cartoq, HvK and now this. Sigh! So much gyaan.

Last edited by sinharishi : 20th January 2019 at 19:08.
sinharishi is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks