Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 10:23   #5731
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
May be these guys should be charged with 10 times the toll amount on the spot.
I'm all for it. All the toll booths have cameras, some have two - one focussed on the number plate of the vehicle that's paying toll, and another one focussed on the lane. It's easy to spot queue jumpers and charge a heavy penalty right there.

Quote:
However tolls like Attibele requires dividers at least a Km before because some times the queue is too long to find whether we are in the right queue or not. Once I was caught on the wrong queue and had to merge with the right one near the counter.
It happens all the time!
Old 17th October 2013, 11:17   #5732
BHPian

It's not just at toll booths that this nuisance occurs. It's almost everywhere there is a jam. Even as you slot into first gear to close the gap between the vehicle in front of you, the nose of the car/auto/bus from the next lane has already gained the spot. While you curse him silently, it goes to show how impatient our drivers are. It's another matter whether they will reach their destination some hours before you, that's what their actions say at least.
Old 17th October 2013, 11:29   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
It's not just at toll booths that this nuisance occurs. It's almost everywhere there is a jam. Even as you slot into first gear to close the gap between the vehicle in front of you, the nose of the car/auto/bus from the next lane has already gained the spot. While you curse him silently, it goes to show how impatient our drivers are. It's another matter whether they will reach their destination some hours before you, that's what their actions say at least.
This is usual in Bangalore and I just turn a blind eye now a days. No point boiling our bloods over these morons. If am able to close the gap I do otherwise I let them in. Best is during the morning commute, I encounter a lot of i10's driven by the fairer sex weaving in and out of lanes with OVRMs closed. Nothing against lady drivers but thats what I experience in Koramangala Inner ring road.

Yesterday a i10 was tailgating me from the inner ring road all the way till Koramangala 4th block. It was a nuisance but it was fun as well when he was not able to accelerate faster for which he used to honk as if asking the Manza why are you going faster than me.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:34   #5734
BHPian

This is the third time someone has rear-ended me because in a traffic jam they forgot to disengage the gear while halting.

This white Hyundai Accent rear-ended my Corolla today and even though it was just nuts that needed tightening it is rather irritating to pay for other people's faults.

Thankfully this car is well built and took the abuse without any damage. I could imagine my beat needing some major denting work had I been in it today.

I stepped out assessed the damage and the guy apologized. It was okay since I don't usually take small instances to heart but what angered me was that when he went back to his car he was looking at his phone. I wondered if that was the distraction which caused the accident in the first place.

Secondly I saw a guy driving an Alto holding a folded newspaper in front of his steering wheel. Reading news today but will be making news tomorrow if he kills someone while driving. Side mirrors folded and driving in the middle of two lanes blocking any over-taking maneuvers.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:42   #5735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
This white Hyundai Accent rear-ended my Corolla today and even though it was just nuts that needed tightening it is rather irritating to pay for other people's faults.
LOL. I found that funny because it is applicable literally as well as metaphorically! But at least the metaphorical nut apologized and did not accuse you of rolling back into him!!

Quote:
Secondly I saw a guy driving an Alto holding a folded newspaper in front of his steering wheel. Reading news today but will be making news tomorrow if he kills someone while driving. Side mirrors folded and driving in the middle of two lanes blocking any over-taking maneuvers.
I remember my former boss used to do that when traveling from Dwarka to Gurgaon. He is "former" because i changed jobs, not because of anything else. Watching him drive used to put the fear of God in me though.
Old 18th October 2013, 18:40   #5736
BHPian

Was driving along one of the narrow roads around Wadgaonsheri area in Pune today - the road has just enough space for two cars to pass .

I was taking a fairly sharp left turn. There is a compound wall on the left side with practically no shoulder. The road being quite narrow as it is, and to avoid running head-on into another vehicle at the turn, I keep myself to the left of the road, fairly close to the compound wall, and execute the turn. As I turn, I see an innova approaching the turn from the opposite side. I squeeze the car a bit more to the left ( I am still at the turn ), and thats when I spot this bikewala out of the corner of my eye. He is struggling to slow down, as he had initiated an overtaking manouver from the left . Some panic braking, as he saw the gap between my car and the compound wall closing fast. My heart skips a beat, and hopes that he doesnt get squashed between the car and the wall.

Nothing happens eventually, and I guess this guy was shaken a bit. I slow down the car after the turn and allow him to overtake me, rolling down my window to ask him what the hell he was trying to do - but I guess he sensed that was coming, and he zoomed past me, never looking my way, and disappeared fast , zigzagging between the cars in front.
Old 19th October 2013, 07:51   #5737
BHPian

Another bad bikewala from Pune. Yesterday came across a Honda Dio with very powerful HID lamps. The time was around 07:30PM and his headlights are still OFF. This fellow was flashing his headlight (with HID lamps) while he passing every vehicle.

He crossed me as well and for some moments I was blind :-( I think HIDs are becoming a big menace on our roads. I am not against HIDs but against the usage like this one.
Old 19th October 2013, 08:20   #5738
Senior - BHPian

I was returning home yesterday and I was just at the front of my apartment. The road is a single carriage way and I was on the lhs, while my apartment gate is on the rhs. This means I have to stop, wait till the oncoming traffic clears before crossing the road to my apartment gate. There is a pavement (non-concreted and at the road-level) between the road and the gate.

I slowed down to ensure all the oncoming vehicles pass and started to make a right turn to my gate. There was a Honda City behind me which slowed down to halt while I turned.

However, there was a Hyundai Santro behind the Honda City, which overtook the Honda City by moving to the track used by the oncoming traffic. This vehicle was approaching me as I was making the right turn. The interesting part was that they never stopped, despite noticing me turn but turned their vehicle further to the pavement and then proceeded to their correct track.

There would have been a severe accident, had I not stopped. My vehicle RHS fender and the Santro front would have been severely damaged!

What senseless team!
Old 19th October 2013, 10:29   #5739
Distinguished - BHPian

I took a walk to my bank instead of driving yesterday for some exercise. Got almost mowed down on the road outside my apartment. It is a quiet road and vehicles zip along like nobody's business.

Was on the correct side (walking towards oncoming traffic) and still there were a couple of morons on a bright yellow mobike doing 80 or so who barely missed me from behind. A red i10 followed closely, almost pushing me off the road into some bushes. Notable that both these vehicles did not see anything wrong in what they were doing. They even honked loudly at me as they crossed me.

We have lost all respect for pedestrians and the concept of sharing the road safely is an alien one. Sad times.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 10:53   #5740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
LOL. I found that funny because it is applicable literally as well as metaphorically! But at least the metaphorical nut apologized and did not accuse you of rolling back into him!!

I remember my former boss used to do that when traveling from Dwarka to Gurgaon. He is "former" because i changed jobs, not because of anything else. Watching him drive used to put the fear of God in me though.
Lol it is funny in a number of ways when I read the post later I was laughing myself. Haha I can never forget the lady who accused my car of rolling backwards on a decline

Dwarka to Gurgaon reading a newspaper? But that path from behind the airport and then the toll road etc etc has vehicles picking up a good speed and a lot of people over-taking dangerously and not to forget the small intersections where vehicles take a u-turn without looking (to get access to the resorts/banquets on the opposite side) If he was my boss I'd say a prayer till we reached Gurgaon
Old 19th October 2013, 18:03   #5741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dwarka to Gurgaon reading a newspaper? But that path from behind the airport and then the toll road etc etc has vehicles picking up a good speed and a lot of people over-taking dangerously and not to forget the small intersections where vehicles take a u-turn without looking (to get access to the resorts/banquets on the opposite side) If he was my boss I'd say a prayer till we reached Gurgaon
This was more than a decade back when we used to take the Old Delhi Jaipur highway and there used to be a railway crossing too. Much before the toll roads came into existence.
Old 19th October 2013, 23:44   #5742
BHPian

I saw this badly parked i20 in my street. It was parked in such a way that only small cars could squeeze through! I had a tough time driving through! So, i decided to send the message across. I hope this belongs in this thread!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-945217_10201482960530060_2085657481_n.jpg
saadat1992 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 11:04   #5743
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening, drove from Cambridge Road to Trinity Circle via 515 Army base workshop - when I turned right near 515 workshop's boundary wall to the road that joins near Lido/Hyatt, found several muscular guys in front of an Indica and I thought there was some scuffle going on!
Turned out that the Indica cab guy had taken a sharp right turn at high speed and gone over the median
Old 20th October 2013, 11:15   #5744
BHPian

Yesterday spotted a white Honda Brio driven by an young chap with a lady in co-driver seat. They were busy talking and cracking jokes but both the OVRMs were folded. Twice his Brio escaped from city buses.
Old 20th October 2013, 21:44   #5745
BHPian

Last night, drove from Agra to New Delhi on Yamuna Expressway. Maintained speeds varying between 90-100 km/hr. Entered the expressway at 8:30 PM.

These were my observations:

1. 90% of the trucks did not have any type of reflectors, 60% of them did not have proper functioning brake lights(not enough to locate them in pitch dark). 2 trucks were driving without any headlights. Greater Noida-Noida stretch was even more worse, trucks speeding and overtaking each other occupying all the 3 lanes. A truck was parked with no disaster lights ON could only be spotted at the last minute.

2. 80% of the cars overtook me from the left side! None flashed ,none honked(I have a habit of flashing each and every time I overtake a vehicle even if its not in my lane).

3. Like I said, none flashed as they all had their headlamps on Highbeam making it harder for me to concentrate as my car is not equipped with Day/Night IRVM. I drove the entire stretch on Lowbeam as the entire expressway has lane reflectors.

4. Most of the SUVs were flying as if there was no speed limit. A Endeavour which must have been doing 130+ squeezed in between me in the middle lane and a truck in the extreme left lane A ANHC tailgated me for about 15 mins trying to overtake from the wrong side,eventually he overtook me from the right side. The most shocking was to see a Innova doing insane speed on the service lane.On all 3 occasions the right most lane was empty!

5. A Tourist bus almost rammed me while changing lanes just before Jewar Toll Plaza .He failed to notice me and changed lanes at the last minute so that he can enter the shortest queue at the toll gate.

6. Spotted 3 cars, going slow and steady on the extreme right lane.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks