Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2013, 18:03   #5851
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Spotted this bad rider at the Kakkanad signal yesterday evening. he appeared out of nowhere before the light turned green and perched himself like this blocking my car. What was really bad was he was found wanting when the light turned green taking whale of a time to get moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg  

Old 17th November 2013, 19:39   #5852
Team-BHP Support

Saturday morning. I'm on my way to the Shell bunk on Mysore Road, for a quick oil change in my bike. I'm waiting to turn right at a signal, as some sand trucks and buses are passing by. An Innova comes up behind me and starts honking. I don't pay any attention for a few seconds, but then turn around and point at my bike's indicator that I'm waiting to take a right. He wants to take a u-turn, and starts shouting that he's running late and I should move over to let him by. There's nowhere for me to move, and even if I do, there's nowhere for him to take a u-turn into oncoming traffic.

That's when I feel a small nudge at the back of my bike, and turn around to find this moron trying to force me out of the way, makes no difference to him that he's pushing me into the path of oncoming traffic of heavy vehicles. He's abusive throughout. I refuse to budge, and move only when I have clear passage. I wonder what's the tearing hurry at 7 AM in the morning? I pity the people who have to ride in his cab all day. All this happened in less than 30 seconds, not to mention he shot off like a rocket once I moved off, almost running over a few people waiting at a bus stop on the other side
Old 17th November 2013, 22:56   #5853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyDeewar View Post
Just came across this video on my fb wall.

http://vitaminl.tv/video/911?ref=fbs

A race at high speeds (200+ kmph) on a traffic infested Brazilian freeway between three morons - An Audi R8, a Ninja and a Suzuki. The amount of ego on show is absolutely staggering!!
This is absolute madness! To be honest , I quite liked the race (as I like to watch high speed chase sequences in Hollywood movies). But sometimes it was scary; the biker could have skidded at that speed and caused a major pileup. The Audi R8 driver showed good sportsman spirit.
Lets imagine for a moment this is taking place in NICE road, Bangalore. Lots of undulations on the road surface. Slow moving trucks carrying mountains on all lanes racing between themselves at 40 & 42 KMPH speeds. Zero lane discipline for all vehicles. The moment you take on the Ninja & Suzuki with your R8, you'll find the Bajaj Discovers and Santros are trying to beat you too. Nobody gives you any space to overtake and block as long as their engine permits. Halfway in your overtaking manuever, you'll probably find a broken down vehicle 'properly' adorned with leaves and twigs in the same lane [in the video at 3:29, you'll find a broken down vehicle with its bonnet open pushed outside the lanes ].As a result, your top speed is max 150 (maybe even less). Sometimes I feel, with the kind of traffic culture we experience everyday, its better we do not have good roads.

Moral of the story : High speeds may be good for Brazil, absolutely No No for Indian Roads.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 17th November 2013 at 22:57.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 23:04   #5854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Saturday morning. I'm on my way to the Shell bunk on Mysore Road, for a quick oil change in my bike. I'm waiting to turn right at a signal, as some sand trucks and buses are passing by. An Innova comes up behind me and starts honking. I don't pay any attention for a few seconds, but then turn around and point at my bike's indicator that I'm waiting to take a right. He wants to take a u-turn, and starts shouting that he's running late and I should move over to let him by. There's nowhere for me to move, and even if I do, there's nowhere for him to take a u-turn into oncoming traffic.

That's when I feel a small nudge at the back of my bike, and turn around to find this moron trying to force me out of the way, makes no difference to him that he's pushing me into the path of oncoming traffic of heavy vehicles. He's abusive throughout. I refuse to budge, and move only when I have clear passage. I wonder what's the tearing hurry at 7 AM in the morning? I pity the people who have to ride in his cab all day. All this happened in less than 30 seconds, not to mention he shot off like a rocket once I moved off, almost running over a few people waiting at a bus stop on the other side
I am presuming this happened at the Deepanjali nagar BHEL signal?
Old 17th November 2013, 23:37   #5855
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am presuming this happened at the Deepanjali nagar BHEL signal?
Oops, forgot to mentioned exact location in my previous post.
No, this happened on ORR, just after Hosakerehalli Cross where one takes a right towards Girinagar (there's an IOCL pump at this junction). The signal there is usually turned off or blinking yellow all day. I've only seen it turned on a handful of times in 5 years.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th November 2013 at 23:51. Reason: spelling
Old 18th November 2013, 10:30   #5856
Senior - BHPian

you find bad drivers everywhere! here's a woman who gives burning rubber a new meaning. the car catches fire as a direct result of her stupidity!

she must be some special kind of stupid, eh?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 18th November 2013 at 10:36.
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 13:37   #5857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
you find bad drivers everywhere! here's a woman who gives burning rubber a new meaning. the car catches fire as a direct result of her stupidity!
she must be some special kind of stupid, eh?
That's horrible !!! Did she not understand / feel that the tyre was flat ? I could see the flashers ON and that she was on the slow lane owing to a problem with the car. That means she was aware of a problem. But why drive on, why ? !!!
After pointing out the fire, there wasn't any efforts from the lady to stop the fire. Forget a fire extinguisher, she didn't even seem to care to ask / beg for help from fellow motorists !!
I am not sure after how long, the fire brigade came, but the front of the car was completely up in flames.

Also, something which disturbed me, was the proximity of the firemen to the car. They were spraying water from a very close proximity, which could be fatal ? Or am I having some illusions ?
Old 18th November 2013, 14:07   #5858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Also, something which disturbed me, was the proximity of the firemen to the car. They were spraying water from a very close proximity, which could be fatal ? Or am I having some illusions ?
A car or any automobile rarely catches fire. Even if it catches fire, it rarely explodes. There was program on National geographic or on Discovery, where the TV crew tried get a car explode after an accident. They couldn't. Cars explode only in movies.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 14:11   #5859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
A car or any automobile rarely catches fire. Even if it catches fire, it rarely explodes. There was program on National geographic or on Discovery, where the TV crew tried get a car explode after an accident. They couldn't. Cars explode only in movies.
Myth Busters on Discovery Science. they even put a bullet into the fuel tank and it didn't explode.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 14:15   #5860
BHPian

2-wheelers in Pune have a death wish. They seem to show no concerns for either their own lives or the safety of others on the road.

Yesterday my family was coming back late night from the movies and I had switched on to my 'safe mode' driving mainly because my kid was seated on my wife's lap, who was belted, in the front seat. I spotted a white Activa from far off trying to wriggle its wasy through an illegal gap in the median. As I approached his stationary scooter he gave me the feeling that he was going to wait and not going to cut across me to get to the other side.

At the last moment (~10 metres) this imbecile decides that there is enough monotony in his life and he wants to see somebody killed, that may also include him. His right wrist suddenly jerks to accelerate (I could see that under my car's headlight) and his Activa is now perpenidcular to my car's direction at a distance of less than 5 metres. I had to brake in an emergency to avoid colliding with him. I miss him by a couple of inches and could make out the disappointment in his face of all of us being alive.

This guy had no remorse and I did my best to not educate him about God, the spiritual life, nirvana etc. either.
Old 18th November 2013, 15:05   #5861
Senior - BHPian

Why do I always get into a situation which has a bad driver and is funny.

Today morning I decided to take the scooter and was driving in the left lane, near the Wipro park signal. Anyone passing here will know that it is a illogical signal with right standing and straight still green, well everyone was jostling to cross the green on 80ft road going towards Sony world.

Somewhere along the way I was able to come to the middle lane to go straight, up ahead I see a Beat trying to cross lanes from right to the middle in the busy traffic, somehow get ahead of him before he came in to the lane but by that time the signal turned orange (around 1-2 secs) and then red. Well since it was orange I slowed down to a stop. But the fellow in the Beat seemed upset with me as he honked more than once to indicate that I should move. Well I moved forward thinking he will jump the signal but he was not going, so I looked back and saw him gesticulate that he wanted to take the left at the signal and I should have moved, I showed him the lights which were red with no free left green glowing, but he honked again so I just moved ahead to make space. Turned back and I gesticulated like a traffic cop for him to go but the bugger now indicated that it was red, so I just shrugged, pointed towards the head and looked away.

What idiots some folks are, just because someone is driving a 2 wheeler does not mean he will not obey traffic rules. And Orange clearly indicates that you should slow down or proceed with caution and since its followed by a red, you need to stop not race up.

Last edited by motomaverick : 18th November 2013 at 15:08.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:45   #5862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Saturday morning.
That's when I feel a small nudge at the back of my bike, and turn around to find this moron trying to force me out of the way, makes no difference to him that he's pushing me into the path of oncoming traffic of heavy vehicles. He's abusive throughout. I refuse to budge,
Well our friendwas trying to be nice to you and help you save some precious petrol bynudging you on. Do not mistake him for he is your friendly neighbour called Taximan.

I have this experience when i drive my TN reg vehicle and get a high hearing some Kannada comments and sometimes drivers trying to teach me to drive against traffic.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:30   #5863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Well our friendwas trying to be nice to you and help you save some precious petrol bynudging you on. Do not mistake him for he is your friendly neighbour called Taximan.

I have this experience when i drive my TN reg vehicle and get a high hearing some Kannada comments and sometimes drivers trying to teach me to drive against traffic.
Would've been mighty nice of him if he could give me a nudge-lift to my destination instead of just a couple of meters.

What I really find amusing in such situations is these people get angrier if you refuse to exchange 'pleasantries' with them. Well-behaved humans are probably an alien concept to them.
Old 19th November 2013, 18:04   #5864
Team-BHP Support

Black Audi Q5 on the Outer Ring Road.
Driven without a care in the world as if the driver wants to commit suicide.

But why should he care. The vehicle does not belong to him. The driver stopped under the Gachibowli flyover to pick up passengers.

Sad part, the car is not even registered. It had the temp plates.
Old 19th November 2013, 18:11   #5865
Senior - BHPian

The extreme rash way Audis with temp plates are driven which I have observed several times over recent past will ensure I will never buy an Audi in the near future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks