Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2016, 17:32   #8446
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Bad parking shouldn't be excused for lack of congestion. If the car is parked for a few hours (owner watching a movie), will the gentleman/lady return to realign their car when the parking fills up? Why not park properly and be done with it? Parking lot also at fault for not demarcating slots clearly, but when have mere lines stopped people from parking badly?

Reminds me of an oft-quoted maxim I walk past in my workplace everyday: "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over"?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 23:59   #8447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Have you considered the fact that the Accent may have come later or that there may have been other cars parked in a similar manner to the WagonR? I study design and more recently the study of spacial design has had me intrigued. I can show you multiple real life situations where such small factors influence many people. That slanted pillar and the lack of clear parking lines, creates a space for most, that does not conform to what you idea of parking ought to be. Not everyone thinks like you do they are influenced by the smallest factors in their environment.

Lastly, like I said already, there seems to be no dearth of parking space in that basement. Why are you choosing to get so pissed of and idealistic over this? I am sure once the parking lot is filled up and cars are packed together, such instances of bad parking would be fewer.
Its quite interesting. I replaced my passenger side rear view mirror about a year ago after a truck broke the original. The replacement has a slightly different focal length to the previous one so since then I really have to judge carefully to park my car straight in my apartment parking and my car is often slightly tilted. It doesnt help that the wall behind my car isnt straight !
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 12:44   #8448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not saying what they did was right, but if you look at the pillars in that row of parking, it is slanted, and there is no clear marking indicating how to park. It is easy for many to get mislead or make mistakes in such cases. Secondly, it seems like there is no dearth of parking space in that basement, need you actually get so riled up over this? Rules are one thing but I feel like we should not go about making too much of it in such situations like those overly dramatic strict Hindi teachers we all had in middleschool
If I agree to your idea, then I should be excused driving on the wrong side of an empty expressway as well, why penalize me, can't you all adjust a little? After all the road is very wide and I will put on my high beams to warn you....
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 13:45   #8449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
If I agree to your idea, then I should be excused driving on the wrong side of an empty expressway as well, why penalize me, can't you all adjust a little? After all the road is very wide and I will put on my high beams to warn you....
That is a bit of an exaggeration mate. On an empty expressway, you can expect people to speed and you'd be putting not only yourself but someone else's life in danger as well by going on the wrong side. Fact of the matter is, when your driveway is empty, you and your friends park as you please right? Similarly in an empty parking lot it works the same way. It sure will affect a couple of people but does it endanger their lives or even cause a scratch on their car? All they need to do is draw their attention to another area instead of focusing on one poorly parked car, and go park there.

I am not excusing anyone or saying that they did not do something wrong. BUT I feel it is unnecessary to get so frustrated by them as that is a choice you make.

Also, like I pointed out, when you have a poorly designed space with no clear marking or indication on how to park, such mistakes happen more often.

Have I said that one ought to adjust? Or that they need not be penalized? I am just pointing out that you need not feel so terrible or frustrated. The comments I read seem like they have deeply been affected by some random nut who parked poorly. When I see that someone has been so deeply affected to stop, take a picture, post, use emojis that bang their head on the wall, just by a nut who parked poorly in an empty parking lot, I find it sad.

Please don't belittle my post again with an unnecessarily exaggerated situation that you have poorly drawn out a relation with, and then infer that I am saying such people should not learn or that we should adjust. If you do not get what I am saying or do not want to understand what I said about how if it was designed better or atleast even marked out properly, this would happen less often, then chill out mate. I am not taking away the choice to be frustrated from you.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th June 2016 at 14:01.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 14:36   #8450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Its because of such people i feel like carrying a pen and paper in my pocket and write something very sarcastic and leave it on their windscreen for them to read,
Apologies for bumping an old reply, but been there done that! More than once, and a couple of times in my own office parking. I always have a pen in the car and manage to find some paper/toll receipt to write on. Things like " Please park better" or "You're taking up space for 3 cars" etc.
Old 29th June 2016, 15:08   #8451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Seriously,
There are enough cars in the picture i posted which are perfectly parked "without" any markings, Because its "common sense", Anyways enough arguing about it, Whats wrong is wrong, There is nothing like little wrong or little right, Its either right or wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
Apologies for bumping an old reply, but been there done that! More than once, and a couple of times in my own office parking. I always have a pen in the car and manage to find some paper/toll receipt to write on. Things like " Please park better" or "You're taking up space for 3 cars" etc.

Glad to know there are more people who think like me, I urge other people to do it aswell, Might not sound a big issue but for instance people spend lot of times finding parking even in a mall, Where people there too park by using up additional unnecessary space.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 22:46   #8452
BHPian

It was one of the bad traffic day today for me in the morning. Started at 7:30 AM and reached ECity office at 10:45 AM.

More over one moron totally broke by left ORVM. I was stand still in Harlur road (towards ECity) and the car was switched off because of a long traffic dead lock for quite some time. It's a narrow road with just enough width for a two lane up/down traffic movement. I had stopped car at the extreme left side (with no space left on left side).

There are some shops on the left side and they have some space in front of them. This space in front of shops are at a steep incline may be of approx 30 Deg. This guy in Tata ace (transporting the 20 Litre water cans) was just behind me. He took a sharp turn to the left inclined space and came forward. In an attempt to push his vehicle ahead of me into the small gap, he thrashed my left OVRM and it was dangling on the wires. The traffic was just about to snarl at this point of time.

I couldn't get out of the car as there was no space at the right side and vehicles started moving in a very slow pace also.

I signalled that guy to stop some distance ahead and ultimately could get hold of him. The vehicle was not having any number plate at the rear and the guy does not have driving license with him and no money. He says he forgot the licence at home. Also do not have a contact phone number and doesn't know the owners phone number.

Started pleading "galti ho gaya saab.. Chhod do. Aage aisa nahim karega". I had an important meeting at office and couldn't do much other than giving a mouthful dose to him. Thought of going to police but did not proceed because of 2 reasons. 1. I had to be in office for a meeting and going to police also will spoil my time not only today but on many coming days.

Reached office and called SA and asked about the OVRM. It's 4700 rupees and labour of 400 rupees. If I claim insurance, my no claim bonus of around 6K will be gone and insurance renewal is due next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-111.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-112.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-113.jpg  

Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 00:02   #8453
BHPian

Sree, I really feel for you, I had a somewhat similar experience about a year ago. I was stuck in a traffic jam alongside the Sion flyover between a truck and a mini like a TATA 407. When the traffic started moving the mini rolled like a boat in a storm while going over a huge speedbreaker and took away my ORVM. Though I caught him a few metres later I knew that it was not the guy's fault as he didn't even know what had happened behind him. So I let him go after letting off some steam. Total damage? 6000 bucks for a new mirror. I now try to keep a safer distance at my sides too, apart from my front and back, whenever possible.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 06:26   #8454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Sree, I really feel for you, I had a somewhat similar experience about a year ago. I was stuck in a traffic jam alongside the Sion flyover between a truck and a mini like a TATA 407. When the traffic started moving the mini rolled like a boat in a storm while going over a huge speedbreaker and took away my ORVM. Though I caught him a few metres later I knew that it was not the guy's fault as he didn't even know what had happened behind him. So I let him go after letting off some steam. Total damage? 6000 bucks for a new mirror. I now try to keep a safer distance at my sides too, apart from my front and back, whenever possible.
I wouldn't have felt bad if it's a genuine accident. After all accidents do happen. But, my case was a total disregard for any accepted norm on the road. He knew there was no space and in-spite of that wanted to gain a few meters in a dead traffic block which was running for almost an hour.
Old 30th June 2016, 08:15   #8455
Sip
BHPian

Hey Sree that was really sad. But as you know such things do happen and one can't do much about these things. Only thing I can suggest you is to make sure damage is not more than INR 5100/-. I mean your mental peace is worth so much! So I think it would better to forget and move on.
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 08:51   #8456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a bit of an exaggeration mate. On an empty expressway, you can expect people to speed and you'd be putting not only yourself but someone else's life in danger as well by going on the wrong side. Fact of the matter is, when your driveway is empty, you and your friends park as you please right? Similarly in an empty parking lot it works the same way. It sure will affect a couple of people but does it endanger their lives or even cause a scratch on their car? All they need to do is draw their attention to another area instead of focusing on one poorly parked car, and go park there.

I am not excusing anyone or saying that they did not do something wrong. BUT I feel it is unnecessary to get so frustrated by them as that is a choice you make.

Also, like I pointed out, when you have a poorly designed space with no clear marking or indication on how to park, such mistakes happen more often.

Have I said that one ought to adjust? Or that they need not be penalized? I am just pointing out that you need not feel so terrible or frustrated. The comments I read seem like they have deeply been affected by some random nut who parked poorly. When I see that someone has been so deeply affected to stop, take a picture, post, use emojis that bang their head on the wall, just by a nut who parked poorly in an empty parking lot, I find it sad.

Please don't belittle my post again with an unnecessarily exaggerated situation that you have poorly drawn out a relation with, and then infer that I am saying such people should not learn or that we should adjust. If you do not get what I am saying or do not want to understand what I said about how if it was designed better or atleast even marked out properly, this would happen less often, then chill out mate. I am not taking away the choice to be frustrated from you.
So you will now define what is a 'dangerous' offense and what is a 'inconvenient' offense? I am sure you are aware that illegal parking/wrong parking in civilized countries can ensure your license is suspended and may be ensure a jail term as well? Not to mention increased costs of insurance etc. If we start defining acceptability of an offense may be bad parking is acceptable to you, but lane cutting is acceptable to me and say high speed driving is acceptable to abc. There has to be a line and the line is following all set road rules. Parking in a funny manner is illegal as per our RTO rules as well, hence accepting is not.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 10:05   #8457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
The vehicle was not having any number plate at the rear and the guy does not have driving license with him and no money. He says he forgot the licence at home. Also do not have a contact phone number and doesn't know the owners phone number.
Since you have the front and rear pictures of the vehicle, you can perhaps, upload the pics on the "report traffic violation" of Bangalore traffic police website. Let the owner atleast pay a fine for not having rear number plates.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 10:08   #8458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you will now define what is a 'dangerous' offense and what is a 'inconvenient' offense? I am sure you are aware that illegal parking/wrong parking in civilized countries can ensure your license is suspended and may be ensure a jail term as well? Not to mention increased costs of insurance etc. If we start defining acceptability of an offense may be bad parking is acceptable to you, but lane cutting is acceptable to me and say high speed driving is acceptable to abc. There has to be a line and the line is following all set road rules. Parking in a funny manner is illegal as per our RTO rules as well, hence accepting is not.
Again, please understand that I am all for security to reprimand the man who parked wrongly in some way. I never said it is completely acceptable. All I said, is that you need not be so invested in anger and frustration over it. If you take the time out to read my post over, hopefully you will see that too.

Now, coming to your argument, if someone steals biscuits from a supermarket and someone rapes a girl, don't you think there is a difference between the two? Even if you were to think and act only by the rules, you would know that different offenses lead to different levels of punishment/fines/sentencing. Bringing 1st world countries into the mix, proves what exactly? Do you think I am not aware of the rules? Or that they need to be pointed out to me after I have repeatedly admitted that guy is in the wrong?

Lastly, in the interest of discussion, since I find it pointless to debate over something where I have made my stance clear and you have proceeded to continue misunderstanding me, it might interest you to read about towns like Drachten and others in the EU, where there are no speed limits, parking rules, overtaking rules, lane-splitting rules, not even any traffic lights. The only two traffic rules are: "yield to the right" and "get in someone's way and you'll be towed". Psychologists believe that the fewer the rules, the more the sense of responsibility grows within drivers. In Drachten, accidents went down from 8 per year to 1. Other towns and cities in the EU that have employed similar tactics, have seen a huge decrease in road accidents as well. One can only hope we reach that level of civility one day

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th June 2016 at 10:15.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 13:50   #8459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Found another one, I am literally going to keep a pen and a paper in my car to write these people a message and leave it on their windscreen, There was good amount of space even next to the red accent, So basically 2 cars hogging parking for 4 cars.
]
I can very well understand your frustration. When we ourselves try to be a responsible citizen and abide by all the rules and regulations to make our community a better place to live, work, drive and even park our cars and then we come across these examples.
I firmly believe that one bad fish can indeed spoil the whole sea.

I guess it all evidently points to our "chalta hai" attitude which people have carried on for generations and generations and against which all the moral reasons and explainations falls short.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 30th June 2016 at 14:04. Reason: Typo
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 14:05   #8460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well said! Completely agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I can very well understand your frustration. When we ourselves try to be a responsible citizen and abide by all the rules and regulations to make our community a better place to live, work, drive and even park our cars and then we come across these examples.
I firmly believe that one bad fish can indeed spoil the whole sea.
I guess it all evidently points to our "chalta hai" attitude which people have carried on for generations and generations and againt which all the moral reasons and explainations falls short.
"Chalta hai" Attitude is the main problem really, Oh, "The whole parking lot is empty, Lets park the way you want" Well its not going to be empty forever! I get the "chalta hai" look every time i have stop at a signal in the night where other's either zip zap around me or honk and flash me from behind, I don't care, People like us who follow rules religiously can surely get irritated/ Frustrated looking at others taking such things very casually.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks