Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 17:57   #11776
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
My question is what if we hit someone in such situations? Should we stop and try to know what happened and help or just go away from the scene? What is the right thing to do with and without a dashcam? Any suggestions?
You have the BHPIANS in a quandary with this question .

Legality, morality, security, safety, humanity and also drivability !. All of these will run amok in your mind within seconds!.

Ideally, yes we must stop and check.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 19:16   #11777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
My question is what if we hit someone in such situations? Should we stop and try to know what happened and help or just go away from the scene? What is the right thing to do with and without a dashcam? Any suggestions?
Irrespective of who is at fault, NEVER hit and run! If it happens in city, where you have people around to help the injured, you may keep your windows and doors closed and call for help (police, family) should the situation turn nasty.
But never leave/flee (from) the scene. It's an instant offence registered on your name.

Stop, look around and try to help the injured.
Divya Sharan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 19:36   #11778
BHPian

That last instance is a prime reason why we are not ready for 140 kmph speed limits. As long as expressways, highways, whatever ways pass through villages, there will be critters like these putting their and others' lives at risk! I'd say cities too but the scope of folks traveling at high speeds within speed limits isn't as high as they do on highways.
Arun Varma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 20:40   #11779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
You have the BHPIANS in a quandary with this question .

Legality, morality, security, safety, humanity and also drivability !. All of these will run amok in your mind within seconds!.

Ideally, yes we must stop and check.
I think true nature kind of takes over at that point. I was in an accident like this,and I stopped to check. In fact, The people who had congregated believed that the car owner had run off, while I was still there, with them.
Unfortunately, this being India, and the mobs being what they are, I was wishing about 5 minutes later that I should have driven off. The crowd was getting angsty against the "big car" owner. Luckily the cops showed up since this was within delhi itself. However, for about 6-7 months, the "victim" made such a ruckus that I not only wished I'd driven off, I wished that he had another accident.
So, base advise that I follow, and offer, is that if it's a choice between your morality and your safety, choose the latter every time.
And if anyone wants to give counter gyaan, it's not required, please.
mayankk is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 00:39   #11780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Just came across a forum where there was so much positive response for increasing speed limit to 140kmph in National highways.

If Mr.Divya Sharan had been driving at 140,that idiot of an biker would have bleed to death on the tarmac....
The 140 kmph limit was proposed for "expressways". And expressways don't allow 2 wheelers either.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2021 at 08:38. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 00:57   #11781
BHPian

This is in relation to helping accident victims. My 2 cents as have been in situation of helping the invloved members in accident, they tried to get me to support thier version, I told the cop I just came in post the accident and trying to help . He luckily understood the situation since ambulance was called from my mobile and call to the cops also. My friend who was with was a locally influential guy hence was spared from police trips and my friend told the accident parties to get back to their business and register a complaint if they want to.
Lesson learned - helping in an accident is humanity but the guys involved want save their skin at the helpers cost, therefore sanity precedes humanity.

cheers
Dieseldunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 01:57   #11782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
expressways don't allow 2 wheelers either.
If a driver of a small car (like an Alto/Santro) came into the path of a large SUV doing 140 kmph, the result could be disastrous.
Sure, a car would be more visible compared to a motorcycle, but we have far too many idiots on our roads.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2021 at 08:39. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 07:30   #11783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
expressways don't allow 2 wheelers either.

Yes sir, I am quiet aware of both the points you'd mentioned. I am also aware honourable madras high court had struck Union government's speed limit from 120kmph to 100kmph.

What I meant was, some people were of the opinion that speed limit to be raised to 140kmph even on many NH.

I do love speeds, but what's the guarantee that there won't be illegal intersections (like in the above video) on highways and expressways?

Moreover speed limits should be raised for commercial vehicles first, which will quicken the trade. But before that, it's the duty of the government and citizens to improve road manners and road safety.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2021 at 08:39. Reason: Quoted post edited
tiagoatrix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 08:05   #11784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I guess that awareness, not too fast speeds, great brakes, ABS, Michelins all combined together and saved us!
Be safe out there everyone. Cheers!
Something very similar happened to my wife couple of years back. She wasn't lucky though. The result - fender was damaged and the tyre literally exploded (sidewall was cut). The funny thing was she was going to tyre shop after changing the spare 10 mins back. She was left without the tyre.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 10:25   #11785
Senior - BHPian

Bad driver for the day: Me!

Narrow junction with me having to go left and there's an auto stand there. Thought i could squeeze through but in hindsight i should have waited.

My front left wheel arch scraped against the poor auto's right rear wheel arch and much paint was exchanged between them.

I felt for the poor dude sitting inside waiting for a passenger to make a living.

Paid him for the repainting expenses after many apologies and left with many sever notes to my self.

Sigh. What a way to begin the day.
deathwalkr is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 10:45   #11786

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think true nature kind of takes over at that point. I was in an accident like this,and I stopped to check. In fact, The people who had congregated believed that the car owner had run off, while I was still there, with them.
Unfortunately, this being India, and the mobs being what they are, I was wishing about 5 minutes later that I should have driven off. The crowd was getting angsty against the "big car" owner. Luckily the cops showed up since this was within delhi itself. However, for about 6-7 months, the "victim" made such a ruckus that I not only wished I'd driven off, I wished that he had another accident.
So, base advise that I follow, and offer, is that if it's a choice between your morality and your safety, choose the latter every time.
And if anyone wants to give counter gyaan, it's not required, please.
I totally agree with you. When I was in college (about 15 years ago), I was driving my Swift to classes when a nice biker decided to take a right from the extreme right. No signal (hand or otherwise) and he crashed into my front passenger door. I stopped to check and took him to the hospital. My dad came and gave him some money (for medical treatment apparently) even though I kept protesting that it wasn't my fault.

By the time we did all this, the entire village was apparently smashing up all the cars in the parking lot - looking for my car. Close to 50 cars were damaged including Professors', students' and even visitors. My friends suggested I don't turn up to college for a month atleast. But I decided to take my bike everyday since and went the very next day.

I can't even imagine what would have happened if I had been caught in the middle of the village in a situation like that. I don't think I would stop if I ever get caught in a situation like that. I would much rather drive to a police station after calling an ambulance from the car.
baluprasanna is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:41   #11787
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

How bad is your judgement?
Squid Driver: YES

Guy has the audacity to play flashlight flashlight to make the oncoming traffic stop on a single lane but not slow down himself.

RohaNN_kWh is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:08   #11788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Is the vehicle actually moving? Unbelievable!!! Kindly upload the video to YouTube and add the link to forum post.
sam_machine is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 20:06   #11789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_machine View Post
I have no words to describe how I am feeling after watching this. I watched the video a couple of times but still can't believe it. How can someone be so irresponsible!!!
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 21:18   #11790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
I have no words to describe how I am feeling after watching this. I watched the video a couple of times but still can't believe it. How can someone be so irresponsible!!!
Maybe those parents beleive the theory of the Stork delivering babies whenever they want
No other logical explanation possible for this atrocious behaviour on a crowded highway.
venbas is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks