Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 15:55   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Buddy, I have an Indica Vista Petrol. I do a lot of night Driving (everyday) and also highway trips 2-3 times a month. I was planning to get an additional set of lamps installed, mainly for the low beam driving. Can you please advise the best place in Pune to get this done? (I dont want to put bull bars, something which fits in the vents (fog lamp line)

Hi torquecurve, I got my Hella lamps installed from my friend's Sony Car Accessory shop in Kondhwa. He stocks Hella 500 Comet and Hella 450. Both these lights can be fitted on your car's bumper. If you want, I can pm you my friend's number. But you may need to drill your car's bumper to install these lights.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st June 2011 at 16:42. Reason: Incorrect quote tag
Old 18th July 2011, 15:11   #227
BHPian

High beams and now high beams with highpower lamps!

I have gone through many threads here and seen many complaining about high beams but i wonder why still there so many cars/vehicles driving out there with high beams! e.g.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...high-beam.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...y-offence.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tte-rules.html

Almost all the thread have a common thing going on in them, one complain about high beams other guys suggest him to use "high beams" a. to teach opposition a lesson b. to see the vehicle clearly. c. use high power lamps as a mean to see better and also to teach a "stronger" lesson.

this surprises me. what basically we suggesting tit for tat and it's beyond my understanding how it is going to help the eradicate the problem?!

First, let's face it, you shouldn't be using high beams untill unless you are driving through some unknown terrain without any street light and other traffic in sight.
I would like to point out some technical points here:

1. In night driving on indian roads, i am 100% sure that you don't need high beam and if you feel you need to see further down the road, slow down, you are going too fast.

2. todays cars/vehicle(fitted with standard lamps), through the sufficient light beam till ca. 50-60 mts. away in "low beam". with this much light/visibility you should be able to drive at speed as high as 100-120kmph. and i don't know many roads in india where you can so fast in night.(normally speed limits are at 80-100kmph on express highways, and mind they are there for reasons like road conditions, road construction quality, bends on the road etc.). If you are not sure about road conditions, you shouldn't be driving at 100kmph anyway.

3. With highbeams, the visibility is further increased by ca. 20-30mts. and now you can see both side of road equally and will be able to see tree tops, so now you can drive at speeds above 200kmph. where are you going to do that?

4. Blinding in-return won't serve any purpose. it will just make two blind people driving on same road.

5. High power lamps look cool. well that's all about them. but you don't need them as expained in point 2.

I don't want to write much about how to avoid the glare from high beams except the try and tested method of "look away" and "look where you want to go, not where you are avoiding to go". and agian please, if others don't put their low beams on, don't try to "get back at them/teach them lesson" by putting your own high beams on. This will only going to increases glare for oncoming drivers and will in turn increases the chance of a collision.
Suess is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 16:22   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: High beams and now high beams with highpower lamps!

I agree to your point that one does not need to teach others a lesson.

But then, most modern cars, have very bad lighting in stock form, and they are really not sufficient to light up all the potholes and speed brakers, even if one is going at a modest 80kmph on Indian highways. A bulb upgrade is a must.

Also, IMO, visibility during night drives is very important. You just have to make sure that its not at the cost of others visibility. In other words, drive in high beam (or which ever aids visibility) and dip your beam when you encounter another vehicle.

Indian roads are NOT perfect, and one needs good visibility to survive it.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:29   #229
BHPian

I disagree with your point no 1, Indian roads do not have enough lights specially on highways in night that one can drive at 80kmph with low beam, forget highways, there are certain areas in Bangalore itself, if you drive with low beam you might end-up hitting a person, I go by highbeam on unknown roads in the night but if I see any vehicle comming towards me, I do move to low beam.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:32   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
1. In night driving on indian roads, i am 100% sure that you don't need high beam and if you feel you need to see further down the road, slow down, you are going too fast.

2. todays cars/vehicle(fitted with standard lamps), through the sufficient light beam till ca. 50-60 mts. away in "low beam". with this much light/visibility you should be able to drive at speed as high as 100-120kmph. and i don't know many roads in india where you can so fast in night.(normally speed limits are at 80-100kmph on express highways, and mind they are there for reasons like road conditions, road construction quality, bends on the road etc.). If you are not sure about road conditions, you shouldn't be driving at 100kmph anyway.
I strongly disagree.

1) on the highways, we do need the high-beam. If it is a 4-lane, divided highway and there are hoardings/trees in the middle, I use the high beam. If not, I lower as soon as I see an oncoming vehicle. I need the high beam to see those unannounced people/tractors/animals etc.

It is not about the speed, it is how these obstructions come up "suddenly".

2) I doubt any of ordinary (i.e. non-luxury, premium) cars today have a good OE head-lamp. SO many people are upgrading.

Having said this, I find it inexplicable to drive inside the city on high-beam to consistently use high-beam on the highway.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:46   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I disagree with your point no 1, Indian roads do not have enough lights specially on highways in night that one can drive at 80kmph with low beam, forget highways, there are certain areas in Bangalore itself, if you drive with low beam you might end-up hitting a person, I go by highbeam on unknown roads in the night but if I see any vehicle comming towards me, I do move to low beam.
Dear asdon, there are only few highways in world which have street lamps. but that's why your car has sufficient lights. in low beams, you don't see person on the road? that can not be true.

from libranof1987: "It is not about the speed, it is how these obstructions come up "suddenly"."

to see potholes and speed breakers, one should be using fog lamps which illuminates the road surface. and by sudden obstcle you means, i guess, animals/persons crossing the road/highway, as i said with low beam you should be able to see up to 50-60mts. and if you are driving at 80kmph, you should be able to stop before hitting anything which is beyond your visible range. if someone jumps just ahead of your car then no highbeam/low beam going to help. in fact in case of highbeam you are going to startle the animal/person by blinding them.

Last edited by Suess : 18th July 2011 at 16:49.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:51   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
to see potholes and speed breakers, one should be using fog lamps which illuminates the road surface.
Fog lamps are designed to spread light evenly over the road surface. Their light throw is very short, and in NO WAY will aid visibility whist highway driving. May be in city driving, what you said is right. Drive in low beam and use fog lamps. but, trust me, this no way near practical on highway runs.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:53   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Dear asdon, there are only few highways in world which have street lamps. but that's why your car has sufficient lights. in low beams, you don't see person on the road? that can not be true.

from libranof1987: "It is not about the speed, it is how these obstructions come up "suddenly"."

to see potholes and speed breakers, one should be using fog lamps which illuminates the road surface. and by sudden obstcle you means, i guess, animals/persons crossing the road/highway, as i said with low beam you should be able to see up to 50-60mts. and if you are driving at 80kmph, you should be able to stop before hitting anything which is beyond your visible range. if someone jumps just ahead of your car then no highbeam/low beam going to help. in fact in case of highbeam you are going startle the animal/person by blinding them.
Completely disagree with your views, fog lamps are meant for foggy weather conditions not for regular driving(though some drivers think other way), and if you think there is no reason for high beams then why make them? see I don't use high beam in normal city roads with proper lights but if I feel I am compromising with my own safety, I will not think twice before switching to high beam, start driving on GQ/NH4/NH7 after 11 pm, you will know why we need high beam. There is a reason for every thing and thats why high beam is present in cars, yes someone should not use it to teach anyone but for driving situations.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:58   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I strongly disagree.

1) on the highways, we do need the high-beam. If it is a 4-lane, divided highway and there are hoardings/trees in the middle, I use the high beam. If not, I lower as soon as I see an oncoming vehicle. I need the high beam to see those unannounced people/tractors/animals etc.

It is not about the speed, it is how these obstructions come up "suddenly".

2) I doubt any of ordinary (i.e. non-luxury, premium) cars today have a good OE head-lamp. SO many people are upgrading.

Having said this, I find it inexplicable to drive inside the city on high-beam to consistently use high-beam on the highway.
you can off course use the highbeam to see sides of road and also road signs which are mounted usually on some height.

regarding upgrades, i don't think OEMs are not good, they are as good as required. car makers have to follow some standards in manufacturing. upgrades are just becoming cool stuff to do. and also becasue others have them so, need them too to see those guys eye-to-eye.(pun intended)
Old 18th July 2011, 17:01   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

to see potholes and speed breakers, one should be using fog lamps which illuminates the road surface. and by sudden obstcle you means, i guess, animals/persons crossing the road/highway, as i said with low beam you should be able to see up to 50-60mts. and if you are driving at 80kmph, you should be able to stop before hitting anything which is beyond your visible range. if someone jumps just ahead of your car then no highbeam/low beam going to help. in fact in case of highbeam you are going to startle the animal/person by blinding them.
Quote:
Completely disagree with your views, fog lamps are meant for foggy weather conditions not for regular driving(though some drivers think other way), and if you think there is no reason for high beams then why make them? see I don't use high beam in normal city roads with proper lights but if I feel I am compromising with my own safety, I will not think twice before switching to high beam, start driving on GQ/NH4/NH7 after 11 pm, you will know why we need high beam. There is a reason for every thing and thats why high beam is present in cars, yes someone should not use it to teach anyone but for driving situations.
Exactly. You cannot use fog lamps to help you have better visibility. Potholes etc. yes, fog lamps help.

Most our highways are built unscientifically; there is a sudden blind spot, sometimes no warnings about left/right etc.

I will not hesitate to turn on my high-beam on the highway if my visibility is compromised. And it is not about high speeds; I don't go beyond 80 km/hr yet I find the need for high beams.

To slow down to 40km/hr just because you can't see something on low beams is stupidity on a highway; you'll get rammed from the behind and it is impractical. You need to take precautionary measures; high beam is one of them.

Quote:
you can off course use the highbeam to see sides of road and also road signs which are mounted usually on some height.

regarding upgrades, i don't think OEMs are not good, they are as good as required. car makers have to follow some standards in manufacturing. upgrades are just becoming cool stuff to do. and also becasue others have them so, need them too to see those guys eye-to-eye.(pun intended)
There are many on the forum who've upgraded much more that is required; I am against it. But OE headlights in low beam are insufficient. Period. Many do follow the "eye-for-eye" and that is stupid too.

Apart from near tolls and villages, I don't think any highways is illuminated; hell, a LOT of our highways are still 2 lane, un-divided. I use my high beam judiciously and find it necessary.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th July 2011 at 17:06.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:03   #236
BHPian

Quote:
i agree they(highbemas) are there on purpose which i stated clearly in my posts too.
if fog lamps are called "fog lamps" it doesn't mean you can/should use them only in fog. by this logic you can't use them in rain too!? see, simple thing is to see what they(fog lamps) do..they illuminate the road surface without glaring you and opposite traffic, so you can and you should use them to see imperfections on road surface.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:09   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Exactly. You cannot use fog lamps to help you have better visibility. Potholes etc. yes, fog lamps help.

Most our highways are built unscientifically; there is a sudden blind spot, sometimes no warnings about left/right etc.

I will not hesitate to turn on my high-beam on the highway if my visibility is compromised. And it is not about high speeds; I don't go beyond 80 km/hr yet I find the need for high beams.

To slow down to 40km/hr just because you can't see something on low beams is stupidity on a highway; you'll get rammed from the behind and it is impractical. You need to take precautionary measures; high beam is one of them.
yes, highways are not constructed as they are in Germany. and you should turn on the highbeams when you sense the visibility is compromised. that's what highbeams are there.

but again when you say sudden, i say there is not sudden when you can are driving within your range of visiblity i.e. you can see upto 10mts only(like in fog, rain) you drive 15-20kmph, you have clear view till horizon you drive whatever speed you want.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:12   #238
BHPian

Quote:
i agree they(highbemas) are there on purpose which i stated clearly in my posts too.
if fog lamps are called "fog lamps" it doesn't mean you can/should use them only in fog. by this logic you can't use them in rain too!? see, simple thing is to see what they(fog lamps) do..they illuminate the road surface without glaring you and opposite traffic, so you can and you should use them to see imperfections on road surface.
The purpose you have stated for high beams are impractical and useless.
Regarding OEM lights - Cars below 7 lakh mark go the cost cutting way when it comes to headlights, 99% of the cars have sigle headlight unit with low-high beam(other than Palio). Vision should be equal for all at road, if 55/60 lamp was enough for the roads, then most of the best cars would not have gone HID way, hids are not for fashion statements but they provide better visibility, and one way they count for safety for the car. Anyways its you choice if you don't want to use high beam for the reasons it ment for, have a safe drive.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:31   #239
BHPian

Quote:
The purpose you have stated for high beams are impractical and useless.
well that tells why we use high beams. the following i have taken from wikipedia, this might help us in understanding difference between highbeam and lowbeam characteristics.

"Low Beam
Low beam (dipped beam, passing beam, meeting beam) headlamps provide a distribution of light designed to provide adequate forward and lateral illumination with limits on light directed towards the eyes of other road users, to control glare. This beam is intended for use whenever other vehicles are present ahead. The international ECE Regulations for filament headlamps and for high-intensity discharge headlamps specify a beam with a sharp, asymmetric cutoff preventing significant amounts of light from being cast into the eyes of drivers of preceding or oncoming cars.

ECE low beams are characterised by a distinct horizontal "cutoff" line at the top of the beam. Below the line is bright, and above is dark. On the side of the beam facing away from oncoming traffic (right in right-traffic countries, left in left-traffic countries), this cutoff sweeps or steps upward to direct light to road signs and pedestrians. SAE low beams may or may not have a cutoff, and if a cutoff is present, it may be of two different general types: VOL, which is conceptually similar to the ECE beam in that the cutoff is located at the top of the left side of the beam and aimed slightly below horizontal, or VOR, which has the cutoff at the top of the right side of the beam and aimed at the horizon.

High Beam
High beam (main beam, driving beam, full beam) headlamps provide a bright, centre-weighted distribution of light with no particular control of light directed towards other road users' eyes. As such, they are only suitable for use when alone on the road, as the glare they produce will dazzle other drivers."

basically, what it is saying that the difference is only in throw(lenght and pattern) and height of the beam.

Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Suess : 18th July 2011 at 17:38.
Old 18th July 2011, 18:25   #240
BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Did you drive at any of the busiest highways in India at night before posting this or just saw an article in wiki and posting this? with no offense I think you must get some practical experience before commenting. I am not in for teaching any lessons to the on comming driver but I will ensure my safety first, and for that I will not read an wiki article before using high beam, that will be too childish. The wiki writer may have not driven on Indian roads at night before posting that article, its good for reference check but don't go by each of them, you will end up in trouble at some time, I am not an expert driver I just drove 65000 kms and 75% of those in night, I first ensure my and my car's safety while on road.

Most Viewed