Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:56   #121
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Just reached Kalpetta today. Roads are excellent all the way from Gundlupet to Kalpetta. There is one diversion at Bathery, but no issues. Once you leave Kalpetta and proceed towards Calicut, there is one stretch with 90npcnt broken roads for about 100 metres. Then as you begin to descend the ghats, there are some bad patches, but nothing that you have to worry about. Just being a little extra vigilant should do the trick. Looks lime there are 9 hair pin bends in all; I went till 4th from the top and returned as it was getting dark.

The descend was through the clouds, and one has to view the scenery to believe it!! There were many streams all round and it was a wonderful sight.
Some nice pictures there seems like its awesome monsoon weather and great time to be there. Where are you staying at kalpetta ? Was wondering what you decided finally.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 23:24   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Curious to know if this right time to visit Wayanad in month of August. How are roads and the crowd at this time of year?
If it is second half - ideal time. Right now it is raining too heavily. All schools and colleges closed, Collector issues warning etc etc. Getting to good resorts itself may pose a problem as almost all good enjoyable resorts can be reached only through mud roads
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:00   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Some nice pictures there seems like its awesome monsoon weather and great time to be there. Where are you staying at kalpetta ? Was wondering what you decided finally.
I finally decided on Haritagiri. Good experience so far. Food is really good for vegeterians. Had to ask for another room during check in after the one that was alloted first was smelling moisture. AC rooms are limited, so less choice. Also, had to ask for a fresh replacement pillow after we found one of them was smelly. Got a fresh one again and a room freshener bottle as well.

Morning newspaper was tagged on the room door when we woke up today.

As far as the cost is concerned, they finally agreed for INR 6300 for 2 nights for 3 adults, inclusive of Breakfast, in an Executive AC Room. Not at all bad, I would say!

Yes, the weather is awesome. Views are breathtaking!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 3rd August 2014 at 08:06.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 07:38   #124
BHPian

Hi! I know this is not the right section for my query, however, I couldn't find one specific for Handicrafts purchase near Kalpetta.

Can someone please suggest suitable roadside shops from where we can buy Handicrafts? There are so many on the roadsides that it's hard to take a call. Hence, reaching out to members who already have had the experience earlier. Thanks!
Old 4th August 2014, 09:08   #125
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi! I know this is not the right section for my query, however, I couldn't find one specific for Handicrafts purchase near Kalpetta.

Can someone please suggest suitable roadside shops from where we can buy Handicrafts? There are so many on the roadsides that it's hard to take a call. Hence, reaching out to members who already have had the experience earlier. Thanks!
There is a handicrafts outlet inside the Pookot lake campus near the boating place (Pookot lake is just after Vythiri and before the Thamarassery Ghat section towards Calicut starts).
I have bought few things here that were good and reasonably priced. Not sure about other shops, there are several near Vythiri.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 14:22   #126
BHPian

Have a booking in Serenity home stay near Arrapetta (Wayanad). Google map suggests via Ambala Vayal, Vaduvanchal -- any idea of road condition? Or should I stick to highway till Kalpatta (though longer)?

Any suggestions on things to do (6 adults + 4 children) during this season? Trek to Chembra may not be possible ... maybe we can try till the heart-shaped lake (can a 4x4 reach there)?

Is it worth coming back via Mananthavady - Mysore road?

Last edited by kousik : 5th August 2014 at 14:23.
Old 5th August 2014, 14:30   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Have a booking in Serenity home stay near Arrapetta (Wayanad). Google map suggests via Ambala Vayal, Vaduvanchal -- any idea of road condition? Or should I stick to highway till Kalpatta (though longer)?

Any suggestions on things to do (6 adults + 4 children) during this season? Trek to Chembra may not be possible ... maybe we can try till the heart-shaped lake (can a 4x4 reach there)?

Is it worth coming back via Mananthavady - Mysore road?
I am not sure about road condition to home stay. best thing to do is to check the homestay guys on that. they will give you first hand info.

You can do all activities except Chembra. Also check Edakkal caves. If it is flooded by water, no point going there. If it is a long weekend, make sure you go early in the morning for boating in Pookot lake when there will not be much rush and lake is serene. Make sure you also get some time to drive towards Calicut on the ghat for lovely views. Dont have to go all the way to calicut. take a U Turn and come back when you start descending.

Yes, Do Mananthavady road and make sure you visit lovely Thirunelly temple on the way. The road via Nagarahole is in good condition. You may be lucky to spot some animals also!
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 15:27   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There's a shop named "Uravu" in Kalpetta that is quite reliable and reasonable since it is run by the tribal welfare department. But the location is a little bit away from center of town - just opposite the Collectorate building. Not very conspicuous either, so easy to miss. It is some 3-4 shops before the "New Indian Coffee House" when coming from Kalpetta Town towards Bangalore.

In additional to handicrafts they also sell forest products like honey and local traditional foodstuff made from bamboo, gooseberry etc.

Also being a govt. run shop they close early (5:30PM or 6 PM I think).
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 16:45   #129
BHPian

Another piece of information I need ... any recommendation of great places to eat in Sultan's Bathery -- Kalpatta zone? For lunch only (dinner at homestay anyway), and we're looking for Wayanad specialities (both beef/pork Ok, as well Kappa biriyani).
Old 6th August 2014, 16:49   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another piece of information I need ... any recommendation of great places to eat in Sultan's Bathery -- Kalpatta zone? For lunch only (dinner at homestay anyway), and we're looking for Wayanad specialities (both beef/pork Ok, as well Kappa biriyani).
Mintflower at Bathery is a standard food point, but given your preferences I think you can walk into any restaurant that looks clean and nice. I had eaten a great biryani at a restaurant that comes soon after you exit the forest at Muthanga (a few km down the road).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 18:13   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The eating joint I prefer in Batheri is Jubilee restaurant. With the new One way in place, you don't pass in front of it when travelling towards Kalpetta - you need to take the one way and turn right (towards Bangalore) at the point where you re-join the original NH212 and come back about 50 meters when you find this on your right (They have parking inside - so can drive straight in through the narrow driveway).

In Kalpetta Hotel Pankaj (also called PP's restaurant) serves quite a decent lunch. This is on the Pinangode road - the road that runs perpendicular to NH212 starting from the Chemmannoor Jewelers junction (and goes to Padinjarethara / Banasurasagar). They used to serve chilled "beverages" also in the restaurant earlier, but stopped now since they lost their license in the recent bar license controversy.

Neither of these two places really specialize in "Wayanad" items, but have most of the generic Malabar non-veg dishes available. By the way Pork is not very popular in Wayanad due to a high percentage of Muslim population, and Jubilee will certainly not serve it because of religious reasons. Not 100% sure if it is available in Pankaj either.

You might find other fancy stuff like Quail or Rabbit in some of the restaurants - You could try Paradise restaurant in Kalpetta, I have seen them advertise these items as "specials". This is at the fag end of town in the Calicut direction - On the right hand side of the road when you go towards Calicut - about 200 meters after you pass the Kalpetta byepass junction. Not sure about how good they are since I have never eaten there.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:42   #132
Senior - BHPian

This page lists the approximate price of few resorts in Wayanad - http://www.wayanadtourpackages.com/w...lpackages.html

Tourist map:
Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-wayanadtourismmap.jpg
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 16:50   #133
BHPian

We will be making an extended weekend trip to Wayanad from Bangalore. The route we plan to drive is Bangalore>Mysore>Nanjanagud>Gundalpet>Sulthan bathery>wayanad.
I wanted to check the road condition between Mysore and Sulthan Bathery. Some people told me that the road is bad and construction is also in progress.
Does anyone have the actual status? Thanks

-UB
Old 12th May 2015, 17:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
We will be making an extended weekend trip to Wayanad from Bangalore. The route we plan to drive is Bangalore>Mysore>Nanjanagud>Gundalpet>Sulthan bathery>wayanad.
I wanted to check the road condition between Mysore and Sulthan Bathery. Some people told me that the road is bad and construction is also in progress.
You should read the Bangalore-Calicut thread which is updated far more frequently than this one. Wayanad is a district, not one location, so where in Wayanad are you going to? The NH 212 (Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bathery) is indeed getting widened and hence is in a bad shape; the preferred route nowadays is KA SH 33 (Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavady) to enter Wayanad.
Old 12th May 2015, 17:49   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Does anyone have the actual status? Thanks

-UB
Where do you intend to stay in Wayanad. Is it Kalpetta,Vythiri,Lakdi,Ambalavayal etc.... I stayed in Hotel Haritagiri in Kalpetta when i visited Wayanad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks