Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2006, 10:41   #1
Team-BHP Support

Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Hi,
Tomorrow morning my and my wife will be going to nainital. We plan to follow Delhi-Hapur-Rampur-Kathgodam-Nainital route.
How are the roads there. I am planning to take my cousins indigo(my indica is NA so hill driving is a pain). I will get the car tonight, Its serviced and in perfect condition but he forgot to do the wheel balancing. On the way(NH24) is there any chance of getting tyre shops where I can get wheel balancing done?
Any further tips about good places enroute for a short break? When we went to chamba(near mussourie) we did not find any good eateries on the way like you have on most Himachal routes.
Old 13th April 2006, 11:16   #2
BHPian

Hi TSK,

So at last something comes up giving me a chance of returning favours ;-) The NH-24 is generally good barring a stretch of 10 KMs after Hapur. Upto Hapur it's a nice 4-lane highway, then that bad stretch but after that upto Rampur the roads are good.
I will suggest you leave early, say 6ish. You should be in Moradabad by 8:30; don't go inside the city take the bypass. At Rampur (abt 30 KMs from Moradabad), take the left turn towards Bilaspur, after passing Bilaspur and Rudrapur take the Haldwani bypass (4 KMs from Rudrapur, towards left). From Haldwani it's a straight road to Kathgodam and then Nainitaal.
Regd tyre shops there are many in Hapur, Moradabad,Rampur, Rudrapur and Haldwani.
If you need any other info, feel free to ask.

\N
Old 13th April 2006, 11:21   #3
BHPian

Sorry I forgot abt the eateries. There are some nice dhabas near Gajraula and Garhmukteshwar; perfect for a breakfast of paranthas. But my personal favourite is a Udipi joint abt 4 KMs from Kathgodam. Whenever I drive to Nainitaal, I make it a point to stop there.

Another suggession: While coming back from Nainitaal, you can visit Bhimtaal and Naukuchiyataal on the way. Take the Bhowali road, Bhimtaal is abt 25 KMs from Nainitaal; and there is a direct road to Kathgodam from Bhimtaal (abt 20 KMs). Thus it is a detour of about 15 KMs, but you get to see the biggest and most beautiful lake in Kumaon region.

\N
Old 13th April 2006, 11:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the tips ntomer! Will definately take your suggestions
Old 13th April 2006, 14:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ok TSK, since I am a native of Moradabad and travel twice weekly on the NH-24 let me give you some detailed info in addition to the excellent info already provided by ntomer.

Your best bet is to take the sector - 63 route from Noida and you will exit straight on Ghaziabad bypass on NH-24 from there continue straight on to the Hapur bypass till there the roads are excellent four-lane highways. Once you exit the bypass after Hapur the roads are two-lane but not too bad since road widening of the whole stretch is in process. Also take care on the Hapur-Moradabad stretch since due to the road widening it is narrow in some places, some has freshly cut trees lying on the sides and also sharply raised or dropped sides. Once you reach Moradbad take the bypass and you will exit towards Dalpatpur from here you have two options either take the Rampur-Udham Singh Nagar(Rudarpur is the old name)-Haldwani-Kathgodam-Nainital route which is the normal route. however there is a better route in my opinion by which I go and that is you take a u-turn once you reach the end of the Moradabad bypass and take a right at the next t-point that comes and head towards Ramnagar and then onto Naintital.

If you enjoy driving I would highly recommend this road it's wide, very well paved with light traffic and its a nice curvy road of which a long part is running on the outskirts of the Jim Corbett park. But beware the road is only for DAY travelling do not I repeat do not travel there in the night. But believe me once you drive on that road you will love it to bits. And you can actually travel at pretty high speeds.

As for eateries the recommended places are at Gajraula - The dhaba at the BP petrol pump by the name Tadka which you will find once you exit Gajraula while coming from Delhi. The place is clean, hygienic and even the toilets are clean and usable. Also a bit further away you can find the Reliance A-1 Plaza which also has nice food and clean toilets. The other places within Gajraula are ok but they aren't really clean and you seriously would not want to use the toilets!

Next eating stop can either be Ramnagar which has a few joints but for lunch I would highly recommend a place opposite the Corbett park which is about 40 kms. from Ramnagar on the way to Nainital. It is a small family run farm-cum-restaurant which serves excellent home-style food and is situated in a very nice middle-of-nowhere jungle landscape!!

If you go towards the Haldwani route then of course you have some nice eateries in Haldwani including one called Nanak's. Also if you go this route there is a place on the ascent towards Haldwani which is situate right after a sharp right turn and there are a few shops and dhabas. There you will find farm fresh bhutta's freshly roasted infront of you and which I am prepared to bet will be the best you have ever had. We always stop there and me & my friends have ended up eating upto 4 bhutta's each since they were so good!

As for Wheel balancing your best bet would be to get it done in Delhi itself since in Moradabad nothing will be open before 11 am and you won't find any on the Ramnagar route. However you will find some shops in Haldwani & Rudrapur.

Hope this helps and if you need further info PM me or just reply here.

Have a nice trip!!!
Old 13th April 2006, 14:18   #6
BHPian

wow iraghava, that was some detailed info. Yeah, you are right the road via Ramnagar is a good alternative.
I have done my engg. from Pantnagar; and the Rampur-Haldwani route gives me an opportunity to drop in at college therefoer I have always gone via this route only. Next time, I too would try the Ramnagar one.

TSK, while in Nainitaal, if time permits go to Kilbury; it's abt 13 KMs from Nainitaal. The view of Himalayas from here is breathtaking.

\N
Old 13th April 2006, 14:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ntomer! And yes you should definetely try the ramnagar route its a beautiful road to drive on. But guess you will miss out on the college one way. the best way for you would be to do the ramnagar route while going and the haldwani route while returning so you can best of the both routes at the same time!!

Kilbury, Naukuchiyatal, Mallital these are all nice places to visit and great for photography too. But the access road to Kilbury is a climbing dirt road so be careful while driving on it!
Old 13th April 2006, 14:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thanks mate!
I will definately take the ramnagar route! I love less traffic and long drives. I'll get wheel balancing done at delhi itself at night. This way no surprises.
Quote:
however there is a better route in my opinion by which I go and that is you take a u-turn once you reach the end of the Moradabad bypass and take a right at the next t-point that comes and head towards Ramnagar and then onto Naintital.
this part has me confused. I think I have to take a U turn at the end of Moradabad bypass and then take a "right"? Why cant I take a left while I am still on moradabad bypass?
Old 13th April 2006, 14:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Thanks mate!
I will definately take the ramnagar route! I love less traffic and long drives. I'll get wheel balancing done at delhi itself at night. This way no surprises.

this part has me confused. I think I have to take a U turn at the end of Moradabad bypass and then take a "right"? Why cant I take a left while I am still on moradabad bypass?
No what I meant and I am sorry I didn't clarify is that one the bypass ends there is a perpendicular road running on your left and you have to take a left u-turn and enter that road, so effectively you are heading back towards Moradabad but not on the bypass. That road is heading towards Moradabad city and once you are on it a little bit further you will see a T-point with a police chowki from there take a right and continue towards Thakurdwara then Kashipur and then Ramnagar.

Any confusions just PM me or call me on 0-97191-73332 you can call me tomorrow morning too if you need. I am leaving for Delhi tomorrow morning or I could have come and met you and show you the right way.

Anyways enjoy your trip!!
Old 13th April 2006, 14:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot mate! This is really helpful!
Old 13th April 2006, 16:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Anytime mate you're welcome.
Old 19th April 2006, 11:56   #12
BHPian

hi tsk,

waiting for the travelogue and the pics.

\N
Old 19th April 2006, 13:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

Tonight I will finish uploading the pics and post the travelouge by tomorrow .
I ahve some 500MB of pics!
Old 28th April 2006, 18:12   #14
BHPian

Enjoy the trip...

Reading all the trhreads about your trip and the plans...
Makes me nostalgic about the Himalayas..bought a plot in Cloud 9 Hill Town...Ramgarh,Nainital..

Never been there... will take a bike trip there from Delhi to Nainital.. once I am back in India..
Old 5th June 2006, 16:25   #15
BHPian

Hi,

Do not know if this is the right thread if not moderator may please re-direct to the right thread.

Over this weekend (9th June) am leaving for Binsar (Almora) and Ranikhet and returning on 11th June. I would like fellow bhpians to share their experience and advise and give tips. I intend to leave Delhi by 4.30 to 5.00 am and reach Binsar by noon. I am travelling in my Zen (Carb-96-done 1,60,000 kms) which is still in good shape inspte of beating its get in Delhi.

Thanks.

Manu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks