Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 19:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Not a good idea to drive at night on Indian Highyways. The truckers take over the HW ( alot of them drunk behind the wheel) and it can be very stressful. I would prefer early morning starts anyday.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:49   #77
BHPian

Hi Team -- got back last week after a crazy drive. Though I'd update the current road status here in case anybody is interested.

Delhi - Nainital (and beyond) Road Status as of April 2012

Route 1: via Moradabad - Tanda - Bazpur - Kaladungi

Bridge is broken shortly after Tanda. Locals there will attempt to guide you through a 'short' (shortcut) in exchange for a few hundred rupees. Sat nav is virtually useless as most roads here aren't marked. Detour involves taking a horrible, broken, potholed country (village track) that goes towards Kashipur, crossing a small iron bridge and rejoining the highway that comes from Kashipur - Rudrapur. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Route 2: via Moradabad - Rampur - Rudrapur - Haldwani.
There is major road construction / upgradation going on between Bilaspur - Rudrapur. Traffic is piled up for miles -- truck drivers say they have been there all night. Cars of course, have no scruples and immediately scramble into the wrong way which causes things to go for a six. The road reminds you of what hell must be like. Did major off roading here in the Yeti, wish I had a video. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Which really leaves us with no choice...

Option 3 (Not tried) -- via Moradabad - Pipalsana - Kashipur -- then turn towards Rudrapur but take left halfway through towards Bazpur (and therefore return to the better part of Option 1)

Not sure how this route is -- any experiences from folks?
monkey_wrench is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 20:57   #78
BHPian

Saving grace: Got some good pics while at Neemrana Bungalows, Ramgarh.

The cottage we were at (Cliff House) -- I'd recommend it!
Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-303447_319908101410261_138701739530899_832262_1429055507_n.jpg
Also here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

Under a starry sky -- the main Ashok Vatika villa
Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-385626_319820801418991_138701739530899_832081_863422575_n.jpg
Also here:

Fellow photographer Abhishek Vashisht and I decided to go on a night trip up the mountain to get some good landscapes. Unfortunately, nothing great was happening when we spotted a car coming down the mountain. No time to compose, turned the camera around, fired off a long exposure -- decided to light paint Abhishek's car on the spur of the moment with my phone torch -- and this is what came out!Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-538384_318408768226861_138701739530899_828116_1861356680_n.jpg

Another view of the Ashok Vatika
Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-582302_319790238088714_138701739530899_831985_359875635_n.jpg
Old 21st April 2012, 10:09   #79
Team-BHP Support

Fellas, I'm planning a drive to Nainital tomorrow with family in our City.

What is the best route? Any suggestions on good hotels to stay?
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:26   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Fellas, I'm planning a drive to Nainital tomorrow with family in our City.

What is the best route? Any suggestions on good hotels to stay?
I just got back from Panghot yesterday -- here's the route I took back, reverse engineered from Delhi.

From Delhi, go the usual route till Moradabad. Road till here is pretty decent. After the Muradabad bypass there's the road construction going on which slows you down till Rampur. JUST after you cross the railway overbridge towards Rampur (and a longish flyover) and enter Rampur, you'll come to an "Ambedkar Park" on the right (Landmark is that you'll see a flyover in the distance. The left is before that, bang opposite Ambedkar park).

The idea is to now go Rampur - Suar - Chaupra and then join back on the road from Tanda. Then carry on Bazpur - Kaladhungi - Nainital.

Here's the road condition from my experience yesterday:
Rampur - Suar: very decent -- it's one of the better MDRs I've used.
Suar - Chapura: very good -- very good speed.
Chaupra - till where you intersect with NH74: not very good, but this only lasts 15 mins.

After this, the road via Bazpur - Kaladhungi is very nice, will take you via the extremities of the Jim Corbett forests...and after that, it's plain sailing.

Hope this helps! This alternate will cut your travel time and will give you nice country roads to drive on.
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:07   #81
Team-BHP Support

We took the following route yesterday : Gurgaon - Delhi - Hapur - Moradabad - Rampur - Haldwani - Nainital.

Although there were no jams and we weren't stuck anywhere, there's too much truck and auto traffic on this route.

From Gurgaon, up to 100kms is a nightmare!

Might just try a diff route on the way back.
Old 25th April 2012, 18:41   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We took the following route yesterday : Gurgaon - Delhi - Hapur - Moradabad - Rampur - Haldwani - Nainital.

Although there were no jams and we weren't stuck anywhere, there's too much truck and auto traffic on this route.

Just got back from Nainital. To try out a diff. route, we followed Nainital - Kaladhungi - Bazpur - Suar - Rampur (bypass) - Moradabad (bypass) - Delhi - Gurgaon.

After Bazpur, there are 2 roads; one through Suar and other through Tanda. The one through Tanda is in very bad condition so a bus driver directed us to go through Suar.

The overall condition of the road was good and the traffic was manageable too. While going, we made the mistake of going through Moradabad which got us stuck in bad traffic.

Total distance : 330kms
Old 9th May 2012, 12:43   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
I just got back from Panghot yesterday -- here's the route I took back, reverse engineered from Delhi.
==============
Hope this helps! This alternate will cut your travel time and will give you nice country roads to drive on.
Hi monkey_wrench, thanks for the info. I plan to drive from Mumbai to Ramgarh. I start tomorrow, plan to reach Delhi on Friday and then move on to Ramgarh on Saturday morning. Would be grateful for any suggestions. Regards Satra
Old 9th May 2012, 15:00   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
Hi monkey_wrench, thanks for the info. I plan to drive from Mumbai to Ramgarh. I start tomorrow, plan to reach Delhi on Friday and then move on to Ramgarh on Saturday morning. Would be grateful for any suggestions. Regards Satra
That's a long drive! Stick with the Rampur-Suar-Bazpur-Kaladhungi route and you should be fine Enjoy! Don't let the heat get to you!
Old 11th May 2012, 11:29   #85

Hi there,any idea what is the current condition of the Moradabad-Thakurdwara--Kashipur-Bazpur road wouldnt this be shorter than the Rampur-Suar-Bazpur route?
Cheers
Old 11th May 2012, 11:43   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Hi there,any idea what is the current condition of the Moradabad-Thakurdwara--Kashipur-Bazpur road wouldnt this be shorter than the Rampur-Suar-Bazpur route?
Cheers
Hi, below is my experience; I'd been there in the last week of April.

The 1st route you've mentioned is about 30kms longer than the 2nd route. I'd recommend the 2nd route; but you need to be sure not to go towards Tanda.

Quote:

Quote:
Just got back from Nainital. To try out a diff. route, we followed Nainital - Kaladhungi - Bazpur - Suar - Rampur (bypass) - Moradabad (bypass) - Delhi - Gurgaon.

After Bazpur, there are 2 roads; one through Suar and other through Tanda. The one through Tanda is in very bad condition so a bus driver directed us to go through Suar.

The overall condition of the road was good and the traffic was manageable too. While going, we made the mistake of going through Moradabad which got us stuck in bad traffic.

Total distance : 330kms
Old 11th May 2012, 12:45   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, below is my experience; I'd been there in the last week of April.

The 1st route you've mentioned is about 30kms longer than the 2nd route. I'd recommend the 2nd route; but you need to be sure not to go towards Tanda.
Agree with the above ^^. The bridge via Tanda is broken and there's a nightmarish detour involved. Apart from that the route before and after Tanda is badly broken. Rampur - Suar - Bazpur - Kaladhungi is MUCH better.
Old 11th May 2012, 14:53   #88
BHPian

So, I have two routes plotted on Google Maps.

Because Kathgodam (railway station) is the traditional base for any onwards journey to Nainital area - I thought it would be better. Unless reaching Kathgodam is worse.

The other route is what is being discussed... Suar and Bazpur and not going thru Tanda.

What sort of route should I be taking with my Verna Diesel. We may goto Bhimtal /Naukuchiatal instead.

Any approximation on the travel times?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-delhinainitalroute1.png  

Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-delhinainitalroute2.png  

Old 11th May 2012, 18:35   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
So, I have two routes plotted on Google Maps.

The other route is what is being discussed... Suar and Bazpur and not going thru Tanda.

What sort of route should I be taking with my Verna Diesel. We may goto Bhimtal /Naukuchiatal instead.

Any approximation on the travel times?

Cheers
Take the Suar - Bazpur route. Should be fine in the Verna, I did it in my ANHC which is notorious for ground clearance! It's a shorter route and you'll avoid the traffic. Just mind the million irritating iron mini-speed breakers along the way after Suar.
Old 11th May 2012, 21:23   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench

Take the Suar - Bazpur route. Should be fine in the Verna, I did it in my ANHC which is notorious for ground clearance! It's a shorter route and you'll avoid the traffic. Just mind the million irritating iron mini-speed breakers along the way after Suar.

Thanks sir. Just reached Delhi from Mumbai via Udaipur. Plan to start tomorrow morning for Ramgarh. Will stop at Haldwani if I get there after 5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks