Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 21:22   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
My wife and I will be going to Gethia (Two Chimneys) near Nainital on my Triumph Bonneville in the next few days. A few questions:
Having done Delhi - Nainital on a motorcycle (solo) just a few weeks ago, I can recommend the following:

- Do NOT take the Haldwani wala route. For around 35 odd kms, the roads are pathetic and the traffic is made up of many many slow moving killer trucks, tempos and every other goods carrier and farm vehichle in between. Its dusty and horrible throughout
- Take the Bazpur road towards Kaladhungi. Picturesque, hardly any traffic. There is a 7 - 10 kms stretch that basically has no road whatsoever. But apart from that, its all smooth sailing

Do remember though, the school vacations have begun I think and with temperatures in Delhi breaching the 40 mark, many would have nainital in their sights as a weekend destination. You will most probabaly encounter heavy traffic. Just something to consider as you plan for the trip

All the best! Let us know how it went
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 21:39   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My wife and I will be going to Gethia (Two Chimneys) near Nainital on my Triumph Bonneville in the next few days. A few questions:

Any route recommendations?
http://twochimneysgethia.com/reaching-gethia-nainital/

The drive takes between 6 to7 hrs, so an early start is recommended.

- There are 2 routes – fisrt is that from the Moradabad bypass continue to Rampur turn left here via Bilaspur, Rudrapur, Haldwani, Kathgodam and up to Gethia via Jewlikote.

- The other route Delhi – Hapur (take the bypass here) – Garh Mukteshwar – Gajurala – Moradabad bypass – turn left after the bypass (to catch the Jim Corbett park route) then cross Tanda, Do Raha – Bazpur-Kaladungi- Haldwani, Jewlikote and to Gethia. (Kindly check with us before you travel on the Tanda route, the roads are not always in the best condition) Check in time is 2 p.m, pl let us know if you are delayed.

- There is a large `Pilot Baba Ashram’ that is visible from Jealikote we are a couple of kilometers ahead – this is the landmark most locals are familiar with.
Old 30th April 2015, 23:20   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All,

Any good places to stop/eat?
How much of the total kms are mountain roads and what are the road conditions on mountains?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Sting
For pit-stops, you can consider Gajurala, there are few punjabi restaurants and McDonald/KFC pn the main road.

From Haldwani, the mountain roads is around 35Kms till Nainital.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 11:47   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
- Take the Bazpur road towards Kaladhungi. Picturesque, hardly any traffic. There is a 7 - 10 kms stretch that basically has no road whatsoever. But apart from that, its all smooth sailing

Do remember though, the school vacations have begun I think and with temperatures in Delhi breaching the 40 mark, many would have nainital in their sights as a weekend destination. You will most probabaly encounter heavy traffic. Just something to consider as you plan for the trip

Thanks Urban Nomad. Exactly the information I was looking for. So I take Bazpur from Rampur? The following route:
Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-route.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Turbanator,
This information has remained consistent on their website for a few years now! Nothing replaces real and recent personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
For pit-stops, you can consider Gajurala, there are few punjabi restaurants and McDonald/KFC pn the main road.

From Haldwani, the mountain roads is around 35Kms till Nainital.
Thanks Arun. I was hoping for a little more twisties but whatever little would do great for now. Will be on the lookout for some good dhabhas.

Cheers,
Sting
Old 1st May 2015, 21:44   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Urban Nomad. Exactly the information I was looking for. So I take Bazpur from Rampur? The following route:
Most welcome bud!

Yup, its the Suar Bazpur route I was referring to.

Have a safe trip and do gimme a shout once you are back. Lets catch up for a quick ride sometime
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 11:08   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
From Noida, we took the Ghaziabad-Hapur-Moradabad-Rampur-Bazpur-Kaladhungi-Haldwani route to Nainital. We reached Nainital in 8 hours with 2 breaks of 45mins each. During our return journey, with one break it took 6 hours and 45 minutes only.

Except a 5 Kms stretch before Bazpur, entire stretch is good. It took around 20mins to cover this 5 Kms.
Why didn't you take the direct Kaladhugi - Nainital route? Scenic, less traffic.

Btw, I am driving to Kumaon next month from Bangalore. My 2nd drive there, but this time I plan to use the N-S corridor. How long did it take you from Agra - Kaladhungi?
Old 5th May 2015, 21:15   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Why didn't you take the direct Kaladhugi - Nainital route? Scenic, less traffic.

Btw, I am driving to Kumaon next month from Bangalore. My 2nd drive there, but this time I plan to use the N-S corridor. How long did it take you from Agra - Kaladhungi?
I just followed hvkumar's advise. Yes, Haldwani route was longer but very good road condition and scenic(while climbing on the ghats). Traffic was less as well. I am not sure about the direct route.

Regarding, Agra - Kaladhungi timing, you can do it in 8-9 hours, we took the noida route as we had some work there.
Old 7th May 2015, 01:14   #188
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am planning to go for a peaceful vacation and hence came around Gethia (Two Chimneys) from one of our friend here mentioned below.

Now my 2 concern is:

1. How is the route traveling from New Delhi (Saket South Delhi) and what would be the best route to take? This is the main concern so plz suggest.

2. How is this place Gethia (Two Chimneys)? I just need to relax and don't want many people around so suggestion appreciated.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:20   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Have a safe trip and do gimme a shout once you are back. Lets catch up for a quick ride sometime
Urban Nomad,
Sure, let's catch up for a ride soon. My wife and I just completed our trip and had a great time riding the Bonneville. The route as you recommended worked out well for us.

Delhi to Rampur via Moradabad: excellent roads. An early start for those travelling in a car would help since exiting Delhi is a pain. Stopped at Holiday Regency in Moradabad which is a great hotel and has good food.

Rampur to Bazpur: Undivided road but in good condition except for the 5-7 km stretch right before Bazpur which has no road whatsoever. While the roads are good, the traffic sense is typically UP. So one has to change the mindset to riding/driving extremely defensively.

Quote:
Bazpur to Nainital: One could take the Haldwani route or the direct Nainital route and the roads are in good condition and the scenery is beautiful. I took the Haldwani route on the way to Gethia- it is more convenient and you don't have to go through Nainital. The hill travel is less.

On the way back I took the Nainital Kaldhungi route which is more scenic and has much less traffic. It also gave me an opportunity to drive through the Mall Road early in the morning with minimal traffic and great weather.

Rampur Nainital route has some magnificent tree lined roads too that are a pleasure drive through. Absolutely magnificent sal, mango, teak, bargad trees on both sides of the road. I hope they never broaden this road and cut down these majestic trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys i am planning to go for a peaceful vacation and hence came around Gethia (Two Chimneys) from one of our friend here mentioned below.

Now my 2 concern is:

1. How is the route traveling from New Delhi (Saket South Delhi) and what would be the best route to take? This is the main concern so plz suggest.

2. How is this place Gethia (Two Chimneys)? I just need to relax and don't want many people around so suggestion appreciated.
1. Go with the route suggestion from Urban Nomad. There is a 7 km stretch that you will have to contend with. Start early to beat the Delhi/Ghaziabad traffic. From Kaladhungi you can choose to go via Haldwani or via Nainital.

2. Two Chimneys is the right place for you. We spent one entire day in it doing nothing at all. It’s a combination of a homestay and hotel with advantages of both. Get a room like “Oak” which has a personal balcony.

Warning: Fuel availability in Uttrakhand was dodgy due to some controversy- some said it was due to taxation issues. On my return I found out the hard way and hardly had 10 kms of fuel left when I entered the UP border where fuel was available. This was a stressful time. In Kaladhungi when I enquired for petrol they were only ready to fill in Rs. 50 worth due to the shortage. My bike would have hardly done 15 kms in it! But even that 50 rupee petrol helped cross into the UP border. One petrol pump assistant flippantly mentioned that this news was all over the newspapers; who reads a newspaper on a holiday! Be aware of the fuel conditions.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 22:26   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Warning: Fuel availability in Uttrakhand was dodgy due to some controversy- some said it was due to taxation issues. On my return I found out the hard way and hardly had 10 kms of fuel left when I entered the UP border where fuel was available. This was a stressful time. In Kaladhungi when I enquired for petrol they were only ready to fill in Rs. 50 worth due to the shortage. My bike would have hardly done 15 kms in it! But even that 50 rupee petrol helped cross into the UP border. One petrol pump assistant flippantly mentioned that this news was all over the newspapers; who reads a newspaper on a holiday! Be aware of the fuel conditions.

Cheers,
Sting
Yes, even I came across big queues in Nainital for petrol(during 3rd week of april). Thankfully I didn't face this issue. I filled the tank in Haldwani during my onward journey and later I again filled in Haldwani during my return. Haldwani has many fuel refill stations.
Old 7th May 2015, 23:42   #191
BHPian

Quote:

Just did the drive. The N-S corridor is mostly good except the following stretches:

1. AP-MP border is terrible, there is simply no road. A side road takes you parallel to the highway into the dark interiors and you can easily fall into a ditch. 40kms.

2. Post Nagpur there's some bad stretch through the forests, lots of potholes.

I went towards Delhi from Kanha so can't comment about the direct route. But Gwalior stretch was terrible. Rest of the road was awesome.
MrSDey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 23:48   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having done Delhi - Nainital on a motorcycle (solo) just a few weeks ago, I can recommend the following:

- Do NOT take the Haldwani wala route. For around 35 odd kms, the roads are pathetic and the traffic is made up of many many slow moving killer trucks, tempos and every other goods carrier and farm vehichle in between. Its dusty and horrible throughout

Hi their, if its not too much pain for you, can you please post a route map that i can take from delhi towards two chimneys?
Old 8th May 2015, 10:25   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDey View Post
Just did the drive. The N-S corridor is mostly good except the following stretches:

1. AP-MP border is terrible, there is simply no road. A side road takes you parallel to the highway into the dark interiors and you can easily fall into a ditch. 40kms.

2. Post Nagpur there's some bad stretch through the forests, lots of potholes.

I went towards Delhi from Kanha so can't comment about the direct route. But Gwalior stretch was terrible. Rest of the road was awesome.
You mean AP-MH? And post Nagpur: do you mean the Maharashtra side of Pench? A few weeks back the AP-MH stretch was ok, as in far better than what it was a few months back.

So the roads are bad around Gwalior. Ok. Will factor that in when planning the Seoni - Agra stretch.
Old 18th May 2015, 12:02   #194
BHPian

I am travelling from Delhi to Nainital and thanks to all the above information I will choose the Bazpur - Kaladhungi route for the onward journey. Following are my main concerns:

- I will land at 8 am on Sunday and have rented a zoom self drive car. So in all probabilities should be starting by 9-9:15 am. How bad the traffic be on the way including Delhi, Gazhiabad, Moradabad traffic?

- Is 10 hrs a good budgeted time considering I will be taking 3-4 breaks since I will be having a 5 month old daughter? Any places that i would need to avoid stopping at for such breaks?

- I will be returning on the next sunday from Bhimtal, so is it recommended to again take the Kaladhunghi - Bazpur road or should I take the Rudrapur - Rampur - Moradabad route?

- I have a return flight at 9 pm, so will it be ok if I leave by 9:30 - 10 am to reach airport?

Sorry for so many questions and Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers!
Old 18th May 2015, 14:54   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post

- I will land at 8 am on Sunday and have rented a zoom self drive car. So in all probabilities should be starting by 9-9:15 am. How bad the traffic be on the way including Delhi, Gazhiabad, Moradabad traffic?

- I will be returning on the next sunday from Bhimtal, so is it recommended to again take the Kaladhunghi - Bazpur road or should I take the Rudrapur - Rampur - Moradabad route?
The time you are talking about is the peak traffic time, though taking in consideration that is it would be a Sunday could still be better than weekdays. Noida and Hapur areas have a lot of traffic, once you cross that the road further is good.

You can take a stopover at Gajraula (Kfc,McD,Domino's and Bikanerwala to name the major ones)

While retuning back you can take the Rudrapur-Rampur-Moradabad route (i dont have idea about the other route not been on it lately )
The road from Rudrapur to rampur has some huge potholes but its manageable, from rampur the road back is excellent.
Hope I could be of help.
Have a safe journey! Cheers!

Rahul
phoenix7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks