Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 18:08   #256
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK-07
Posts: 410
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Did this same route some time back. It was a hell ride. There was no road for 10-20 KMs. Not sure the current situation; but anyway I have blacklisted this route now.
Ps. I was driving Scorpio.
Thanks for the heads up Anuj. Now this is confusing. Some posts back, it was suggested that the route via Moradabad bypass - Suar - Bazpur - Kaladhungi is good. Though since you are the one who has most recently returned, your account has to be the most updated. Did you take an alternate route back to Delhi, i.e. via Haldwani - Rudrapur- Rampur? I have used this route too and Rampur stretch was pockmarked with potholes .

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline  
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:55   #257
BHPian
 
penpusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UP-16
Posts: 41
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Thanks for the heads up Anuj. Now this is confusing. Some posts back, it was suggested that the route via Moradabad bypass - Suar - Bazpur - Kaladhungi is good. Though since you are the one who has most recently returned, your account has to be the most updated. Did you take an alternate route back to Delhi, i.e. via Haldwani - Rudrapur- Rampur? I have used this route too and Rampur stretch was pockmarked with potholes .

Cheers !
Hi, the best route to Nainital currently is the Moradabad bypass - Tanda - Bazpur -Kaladhungi route. There are some minor road issues from leaving the NH 24 at Moradabad till Tanda, and there will be some traffic at Tanda and Bazpur depending upon the time of the day, but the alternate routes are much worse. The Rudrapur - Rampur route is full of potholes and heavy truck traffic. I usually do Haldwani to Noida run in about 5 hrs. via the first route above.
penpusher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 19:37   #258
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK-07
Posts: 410
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
Hi, the best route to Nainital currently is the Moradabad bypass - Tanda - Bazpur -Kaladhungi route. There are some minor road issues from leaving the NH 24 at Moradabad till Tanda, and there will be some traffic at Tanda and Bazpur depending upon the time of the day, but the alternate routes are much worse. The Rudrapur - Rampur route is full of potholes and heavy truck traffic. I usually do Haldwani to Noida run in about 5 hrs. via the first route above.
Thanks penpusher,
Seems like this is indeed the most appropriate route - even Google is recommending this. Though until last year (or was it the year before last? I forget.) the favoured route was Moradabad Bypass - Rampur - Suar - Kaladhungi. This had a 5 km stretch of bad roads, somewhere near Suar and that was about it. nvldiver had passed through Tanda sometime in 2015 and he had gone through traffic jams in Tanda. Is the situation any better now?
Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 4th August 2017 at 19:38.
Ironhide is offline  
Old 4th August 2017, 20:07   #259
BHPian
 
penpusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UP-16
Posts: 41
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Thanks penpusher,
Seems like this is indeed the most appropriate route - even Google is recommending this. Though until last year (or was it the year before last? I forget.) the favoured route was Moradabad Bypass - Rampur - Suar - Kaladhungi. This had a 5 km stretch of bad roads, somewhere near Suar and that was about it. nvldiver had passed through Tanda sometime in 2015 and he had gone through traffic jams in Tanda. Is the situation any better now?
Cheers !
Hi Ironhide,

There will be some traffic at Tanda, but mostly it's moving traffic. Road had been repaired a few months back although it's again deteriorated some. You will also meet some traffic and bad roads when you take the u-turn on NH 24 after Moradabad bypass (its marked as the route for Corbett), but it can't be helped.

Once you cross Tanda it's mostly smooth sailing except for some traffic while crossing Doraha & Bazpur. Before Kaladhungi (at Chhoti Haldwani - its well marked) take the left for Nainital, its a very scenic route, although during rains take care as its a mountain road.

Have fun at Nainital, you did the correct thing by avoiding it during the season.
penpusher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 17:35   #260
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK-07
Posts: 410
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
Hi Ironhide,

There will be some traffic at Tanda, but mostly it's moving traffic. Road had been repaired a few months back although it's again deteriorated some. You will also meet some traffic and bad roads when you take the u-turn on NH 24 after Moradabad bypass (its marked as the route for Corbett), but it can't be helped.

Once you cross Tanda it's mostly smooth sailing except for some traffic while crossing Doraha & Bazpur. Before Kaladhungi (at Chhoti Haldwani - its well marked) take the left for Nainital, its a very scenic route, although during rains take care as its a mountain road.

Have fun at Nainital, you did the correct thing by avoiding it during the season.
Thanks penpusher for pointing me in the right direction. Did the Delhi - Nainital - Delhi route last week and you were right about the conditions of the road.

Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-dk-mallital.png

On my onward journey I took the Moradabad bypass - Kaladhungi - Mallital Route which, save for a broken but driveable stretch of about 10 km from where you turn off from the Moradabad bypass towards Tanda (as in map below) is fairly good. The drive after Kaladhungi has pristine and well paved (despite the rains) mountain roads. The greenery, waterfalls and the rolling mist from the valley floor add a touch of ethereal to the already beautiful drive. This would be even more enjoyable on a bike I'm sure !

Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-m-bad-tanda.png



Of course, beyond Nainital, because of incessant rains and ensuing landslides there have been disruptions. But the approach to Nainital is smooth and fairly congestion free.

On the return journey we took the Haldwani - Kaladhungi (for a stopover at Corbett Museum) - Tanda - Moradabad bypass route, and even this was clear and without any bad roads or disruptions.

Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-tallital-tanda.png

Hope this helps other explorers who are heading out to Kumaon in the near future.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 31st August 2017 at 17:40.
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 14:39   #261
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 35
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Hi

I am planning a road trip with family from Oct 1-5 top Nainital, Almora and Ranikhet. Plan is to do Faridabad - Shitlakhet - Nainital - Faridabad. For For Faridabad- Nainital section, will follow Google maps / recommended route via MBD bypass, bazpur, kaladhungi. Any suggestions on the Nainital - Shitlakhet route. Or would one suggest going to Shitlakhet from Faridabad via Ranikhet?
Pax - 2-4. Drive - BRV V CVT.
Thanks in advance for your inputs.
FAIAAA is offline  
Old 29th September 2017, 23:36   #262
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 35
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
Hi

I am planning a road trip with family from Oct 1-5 top Nainital, Almora and Ranikhet. Plan is to do Faridabad - Shitlakhet - Nainital - Faridabad. For For Faridabad- Nainital section, will follow Google maps / recommended route via MBD bypass, bazpur, kaladhungi. Any suggestions on the Nainital - Shitlakhet route. Or would one suggest going to Shitlakhet from Faridabad via Ranikhet?
Pax - 2-4. Drive - BRV V CVT.
Thanks in advance for your inputs.
I have the option to take the 320d if the surface is good else the BRV. What would the route gurus suggest?
FAIAAA is offline  
Old 30th September 2017, 14:59   #263
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 433 Times
Default Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
I have the option to take the 320d if the surface is good else the BRV. What would the route gurus suggest?

Don’t take risk taking 3. The roads are not good enough. Take Brv, after gajraula you will have hard time managing 3.

With brv you can drive stress free. The road is bad after moradabad bypass, both ways, even if you go via rampur Rudrapur or via tanda kaladhungi.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 30th September 2017 at 15:02.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 10:51   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
SJM1214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Anand(GJ23)
Posts: 1,468
Thanked: 5,505 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

​ Driving to Nainital? Arrange parking in advance, advises U'Khand HC.

Quote:
Uttarakhand high court (HC) on Monday pulled up the state government for its inability to address parking woes in Nainital and directed the district administration to “advertise prominently in at least four national newspapers and channels clearly sending out the message that those coming to Nainital with their own vehicles should first make advance arrangements for parking their vehicles.”

The division bench of justices Sudhanshu Dhulia and Lokpal Singh further directed that it should be publicised that those who cannot arrange advance parking “should not bring their own vehicles to the lake town.”

The directions were issued in the presence of Nainital district magistrate and senior superintendent of police. Other officials of the state government who were also present in the court included additional district magistrate, Nainital, and executive officer of Nainital Municipal Corporation. Addressing the officials, the judges said, “If we find that your intention towards working on traffic issues is not right, we will be forced to take strict steps.”
Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-12.jpg

Image and News Source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63585565.cms
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 18:54   #265
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 617
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Hey Guys, planning a trip to almora this weekend.

Out of the three routes which one is the best depending on current road conditions?

1. Moradabad -> Tanda -> Bazpur -> kaladhungi
2. Moradabad -> Rampur -> Suar -> Bazpur -> kaladhungi
3. Moradabad -> Rampur -> Rudrapur -> Haldwani -> Kathgodam

Or should I take the one google maps suggests based on current traffic conditions?
ank.nsit is offline  
Old 17th October 2018, 20:25   #266
BHPian
 
TB16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 194
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Guys, planning a trip to almora this weekend.

Out of the three routes which one is the best depending on current road conditions?

1. Moradabad -> Tanda -> Bazpur -> kaladhungi
2. Moradabad -> Rampur -> Suar -> Bazpur -> kaladhungi
3. Moradabad -> Rampur -> Rudrapur -> Haldwani -> Kathgodam

Or should I take the one google maps suggests based on current traffic conditions?
I went to bhimtal in June and took the 1st route you've mentioned. Except for a few bad patches (less than 5 km in total), it was an absolute pleasure to drive on this route. Cant say the condition of the road right now since my trip was before the monsoon began. In my case Google maps suggested this route only.
TB16 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 23:33   #267
BHPian
 
samarth.bhatia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 450
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

1. Moradabad -> Tanda -> Bazpur -> kaladhungi
2. Moradabad -> Rampur -> Suar -> Bazpur -> kaladhungi
3. Moradabad -> Rampur -> Rudrapur -> Haldwani -> Kathgodam
Hi,

Any update on the routes? Which did you take and how did it go?

Planning on leaving in a couple of hours for Ramgarh.

Thanks.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline  
Old 19th December 2018, 11:12   #268
BHPian
 
coolbareilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 193
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

I am planning for a trip to Mukteshwar this weekend. Can anyone please help me on the recommended route, road conditions, city traffic?
  1. Delhi-Rampur-Bazpur-Haldwani/Kathgodam-Bhimtal-Mukteshwar
  2. Delhi-Rampur-Rudrapur-Haldwani/Kathgodam-Bhimtal-Mukteshwar
  3. Delhi-Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur-Haldwani/Kathgodam-Bhimtal-Mukteshwar
  4. Delhi-Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur-Kaladunghi-Nainital-Bhowali-Mukteshwar
coolbareilly is online now  
Old 19th December 2018, 13:58   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,555
Thanked: 2,088 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
I am planning for a trip to Mukteshwar this weekend. Can anyone please help me on the recommended route, road conditions, city traffic?
  1. Delhi-Rampur-Bazpur-Haldwani/Kathgodam-Bhimtal-Mukteshwar
  2. Delhi-Rampur-Rudrapur-Haldwani/Kathgodam-Bhimtal-Mukteshwar
  3. Delhi-Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur-Haldwani/Kathgodam-Bhimtal-Mukteshwar
  4. Delhi-Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur-Kaladunghi-Nainital-Bhowali-Mukteshwar
The last one, without a doubt. Good roads, extremely scenic. Avoid Haldwani
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 15:18   #270
BHPian
 
rovingeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 342
Thanked: 909 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Hi -

Even I'm going to Almora this coming weekend. But, to Shitlakhet.

Questions:

1. From Kaladhungi, is it recommended to go towards Almora via Nainital or via Haldwani and Kathgodam? Won't Nainital be crowded and add to travel time? Also, last time when I went in summer, there was major water crisis going on and road blocks were setup around Nainital.

2. To get to Shitlakhet from Bhowali, will it take less time to go via Almora and Kosi? Or will I reach faster if I take the straighter route Sukha - Seem - Jaurasi - Suyalbari - Shitlakhet (as suggested by Gmaps)?

advise.
rovingeye is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks