Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 08:43   #301
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Dear Team,

We are planning for a drive to UK from Lucknow on coming Saturday (13.02.2021). We would be staying at Nainital (KMVN TRH) on night-1 , night-2 at Binsar (TRH Binsar) and return to Nakuchiatal on day-3.

What will be the best route to from Lucknow to Haldwani ? A friend who is a resident of Haldwani suggested Lucknow>Shajahanpur>Bareilly>Haldwani.

Please drop in your tips
Old 14th February 2021, 13:32   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
What will be the best route to from Lucknow to Haldwani ? A friend who is a resident of Haldwani suggested Lucknow>Shajahanpur>Bareilly>Haldwani.
Lucknow-Sitapur-Pilibhit-Kathgodam is a more picturesque route with patches thru the jungle and beautiful fields on either side. Distance and time are almost the same as the route via Bareilly

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th April 2022 at 12:23. Reason: Fixed Quote
bhalu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 13:38   #303
BHPian

Posting for benefit of future travelers from Lucknow to Nainital.I took the following route:

>Lucknow > Hardoi >Shajahanpur >Katra > Bareilly > Kichha > Lalkuan > Haldwani > Kathgodam > Nainital.

Google maps showed correct route without any hiccups. Roads are generally in good shape barring a few patches.Only toll road in this route is Bareilly - Nainital highway (Toll charges - 90 rs). After Katra, before Fatehganj there is a stretch where road construction is ongoing.Expect some 15-30 mins delay since traffic is horrible and police personnel are constantly on duty to keep things moving. Also some 5 kms stretch after U.P border is horrible and keeps pace low. Reliance fuel stations are available on route close to highways.
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 13:17   #304
BHPian

I am planning a trip from Delhi to Nainital in a few weeks. As of now, Google Maps shows the best route as the Kaladhungi one over the route passing via Haldwani.

I like that route because of the fine scenery on the way, even though off the highway after Rampur it becomes a 2-lane road passing through villages and is peppered with speed breakers, a couple of railway crossings(here luck counts, if it is closed it can be a really long wait with a jam after it opens!). There are also chances of the road becoming partially blocked at some places due to a slow-moving line of sugarcane tractors.

The real issue I foresee is the mess just after exiting Delhi, which to say the least is a test of patience. I plan to move out at 4.30-5 am at the max, to gain an edge over the traffic jams that start in the morning due to the seemingly forever under-construction state of the highway/flyovers.

If anyone has been on the route in the recent past, please let us know about the condition of the roads on this route.
Old 5th April 2021, 12:50   #305
BHPian

I have some important work in Nainital around 18th-20th April that can not be postponed, hence my trip as mentioned above.

With effect from 1st April the Govt. there has made RT-PCR test mandatory for entry to Uttarakhand. I think that means every vehicle entering the state will be checked, possibly leading to lots of traffic jams, waiting for checking etc.

If anyone, or friends etc. are heading that way during these days especially after 1st April, please let us know about how the traffic and road situation is currently.

If the situation gets really bad I am mentally preparing to leave from Delhi as early as possible, say at 4 am or so.
Old 5th April 2021, 13:55   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
I have some important work in Nainital around 18th-20th April.
I recently came to Rishikesh and at the border they are probably using an old RTO office converted as a camp where you need to enter details. They had large parking and everything seemed organized. They may ask for your test again as told by the person manning the check post. Luckily, I was alone and he allowed me to pass as there was some buses behind. I think they are doing test for buses separately somewhere.

Keep print out or original negative report with you and also fill the pass at their website, don’t know if it’s mandatory but can be helpful when the information is already at there portal.

Regarding your previous query, the new Meerut highway is now operational but you will need to take an exit towards Hapur somewhere as the direct road will now take you to Meerut. It’s marked but be careful not to miss.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 09:17   #307
BHPian

Has anyone travelled towards Nainital from Delhi recently? Normally I take the Moradabad Tanda Bazpur Kalidhungi route. This time as I will be driving an EV, I have to go to Rampur to charge and from there Google shows a route via Suar and back to Bazpur. Other option is to go via Haldwani. Can anyone shed some light on the condition of these roads? After the heavy rains I am a little nervous about it.
Old 1st November 2021, 16:28   #308
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Any recent updates on Delhi - Kausani / Ranikhet route post the monsoons?

Any idea if the mid October's unprecedented rains had any major effect on the Gajraula - Haldwani - Bhimtal - Ranikhet - Kausani route in terms of landslides / flooding?
Old 1st November 2021, 17:08   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Any recent updates on Delhi - Kausani / Ranikhet route post the monsoons?

Any idea if the mid October's unprecedented rains had any major effect on the Gajraula - Haldwani - Bhimtal - Ranikhet - Kausani route in terms of landslides / flooding?
The route is open but in very bad shape at many places in Uttarakhand. Expect huge traffic jams as roads being washed away at many places, and only one vehicle can pass at a time. Plus, such broken patches come suddenly and may catch you as surprised. Not a good time to go I would say.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:39   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
The route is open but in very bad shape at many places in Uttarakhand. Expect huge traffic jams as roads being washed away at many places, and only one vehicle can pass at a time. Plus, such broken patches come suddenly and may catch you as surprised. Not a good time to go I would say.
I also had travel plans to Kausani during the Diwali break - which I had to drop.

The roads, though open, are in very bad shape and travel is not advised by the locals.
anand_roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 11:41   #311
BHPian

We are planning for a Kausani trip this Christmas. From Gurgaon we intend to start by midnight 00:00 hours.

Which route would be good? Moradabad-Rampur-Bazpur-Kaladhungi-Nainital-Ranikhet-Kausani (selected by Google maps), or Moradabad-Rampur-Rudrapur-Pantnagar Airport-Lalkuan-Haldwani-Bhimtal-Ranikhet-Kausani?

I shall be driving a small hatchback with family (female member). Plan is to reach Kaladhungi / Haldwani by 5:30-6 AM and then start hill drive once the daylight comes out. Whether this plan is safe?

Also, I understand the bhimtal/ Nainital- Ranikhet-Kausani route seems to be in pretty bad shape from the previous posts above in 2021. Is there any report work/ improvement?
Old 20th December 2021, 12:05   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
We are planning for a Kausani trip this Christmas. From Gurgaon we intend to start by midnight 00:00 hours.

Which route would be good? Moradabad-Rampur-Bazpur-Kaladhungi-Nainital-Ranikhet-Kausani (selected by Google maps), or Moradabad-Rampur-Rudrapur-Pantnagar Airport-Lalkuan-Haldwani-Bhimtal-Ranikhet-Kausani?

I shall be driving a small hatchback with family (female member). Plan is to reach Kaladhungi / Haldwani by 5:30-6 AM and then start hill drive once the daylight comes out. Whether this plan is safe?

Also, I understand the bhimtal/ Nainital- Ranikhet-Kausani route seems to be in pretty bad shape from the previous posts above in 2021. Is there any report work/ improvement?
The route suggested by Google mape will be better, as Pantnagar to Haldwani route is currently under construction/widening work.

And be aware there will be fog throughout the plains. Better to drive in the morning only while leaving from Gurgaon. Also, try to skip Nainital altogether, there will be heavy traffic. Bhimtal to Almora route would be better. There is a road going to Ranikhet before Almora, I don't remember the name exactly right now (might be Bhowali).

Most of the roads have been repaired already. Road conditions starting from Haldwani upwards, should not be too bad.

Happy Journey. Please make sure no littering on the hills.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 12:25   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Avoid Nainital, there might be some traffic from NCR. You can take Bhimtal road.
The roads are all fine now. The major damage was around Nainital and Bhimtal and they have been repaired. In a few areas, it'll be a one lane road due to damage but early morning you won't find much traffic. There might be fog around 6am.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 22:42   #314
BHPian

Is the Rampur - Rudrapur stretch currently in good condition if one has to go to Bhimtal - Sattal?

Is any other route / diversion recommended from Moradabad?
Old 1st June 2022, 23:00   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Is the Rampur - Rudrapur stretch currently in good condition if one has to go to Bhimtal - Sattal?

Is any other route / diversion recommended from Moradabad?
I would recommend the Moradabad - Bazpur - Kaladhungi - Haldwani route. Not only is it well paved and has lesser traffic, it offers a better driving experience because post Bazpur you drive through the outer areas of Corbett NP. When I did the Rampur - Rudrapur route last, it was in such an abysmal state that I made a mental note of not to use it again.

Tip - Keep an eye on the traffic cops between Haldwani and Bhimtal. They seem to like stopping non-local cars/bikes for general checking.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks