Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 17:37   #271
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
[*]Delhi-Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur-Kaladunghi-Nainital-Bhowali-Mukteshwar[/list]
The last one, I just did it last week, we left Delhi (South Delhi) at 04:00am and were in Nainital by 10:00am with 2 breaks. The roads are good, barring a few rough stretches, less then 10kms in all.
Bubby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:35   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The last one, without a doubt. Good roads, extremely scenic. Avoid Haldwani
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
The last one, I just did it last week, we left Delhi (South Delhi) at 04:00am and were in Nainital by 10:00am with 2 breaks. The roads are good, barring a few rough stretches, less then 10kms in all.
Thank you guys..... but I have heard that few initial kms (10-15) from Moradabad to Tanda are very bad and Tanda can also surprise you (traffic jam in the town).
Old 20th December 2018, 12:25   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

I am just back from Mukteshwar and would suggest to figure out a way to avoid this stretch (red box). During the onward journey, I lost about an hour just sitting here and same on return, in spite of taking a detour via proper farm roads fit for probably only bikes.

Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-snip.jpg

Due to a flyover construction going on, the road is reduced to ONE lane at places in both directions. And you have cars/buses/trucks/bikes/cycles/e-ricks/bullock-carts/autos/vikrams et all jostling for space here.

Would suggest leaving Delhi at an ungodly hour to pass this stretch before 6-7 am latest.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 15:29   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Due to a flyover construction going on, the road is reduced to ONE lane at places in both directions. And you have cars/buses/trucks/bikes/cycles/e-ricks/bullock-carts/autos/vikrams et all jostling for space here.

Would suggest leaving Delhi at an ungodly hour to pass this stretch before 6-7 am latest.
Thanks for the heads up. Its been that way for months now. What's the best way to avoid that patch though? Go via Modinagar and Hapur? Will that save time? Those places will also have their own local bottlenecks/jams.

Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-pilkhuwa.png

So, net/net, will the extra time taken to go around Pilkhuwa ultimately end up being comparable to the time spent grinding through it?
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 19:51   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Its been that way for months now. What's the best way to avoid that patch though? Go via Modinagar and Hapur? Will that save time? Those places will also have their own local bottlenecks/jams.

So, net/net, will the extra time taken to go around Pilkhuwa ultimately end up being comparable to the time spent grinding through it?
GMaps says the journey time would remain probably same ~1h 30mins for both options. KM wise, the alternate is about ~15 kms longer. Having seen the mess first hand though, I would gladly drive 15 kms more and save my left leg

Having said that, you can avoid the jam atleast one way by starting early from Delhi and crossing it before 7am. On the return maybe, take a detour from Hapur. I will try this if I am headed this way next time.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 12:19   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Having said that, you can avoid the jam atleast one way by starting early from Delhi and crossing it before 7am. On the return maybe, take a detour from Hapur. I will try this if I am headed this way next time.
Thanks buddy

I am starting at 4 am to avoid Ghaziabad traffic anyway.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:16   #277
BHPian

Hi all, Need advice on current conditions on Delhi - Nainital route, as my brother will be traveling this stretch during his drive from Jalandhar to Kausani next week. Has anyone done this stretch recently?

Which is the best route to take, and please advise on current traffic conditions, constructions and diversions enroute? Is there anyway to bypass Delhi when coming from Punjab to avoid traffic.

The current plan is Jalandhar - Delhi (Day 1), Delhi - Nainital (Day 2), and Nainital - Kausani (Day 3).

How is the morning fog conditions now and what is the best time to start from Delhi? Also while approaching Nainital, are the roads good for late evening/night driving?

Please also suggest good and affordable place to stay with parking, both at Delhi and Nainital. He's travelling alone. Drive: GT TDI.

Anything else he has to be aware of? Looking forward for your expert advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th January 2019, 13:14   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Hi all, Need advice on current conditions on Delhi - Nainital route, as my brother will be traveling this stretch during his drive from Jalandhar to Kausani next week. Has anyone done this stretch recently?

Which is the best route to take, and please advise on current traffic conditions, constructions and diversions enroute? Is there anyway to bypass Delhi when coming from Punjab to avoid traffic.

The current plan is Jalandhar - Delhi (Day 1), Delhi - Nainital (Day 2), and Nainital - Kausani (Day 3).

How is the morning fog conditions now and what is the best time to start from Delhi? Also while approaching Nainital, are the roads good for late evening/night driving?

Please also suggest good and affordable place to stay with parking, both at Delhi and Nainital. He's travelling alone. Drive: GT TDI.

Anything else he has to be aware of? Looking forward for your expert advice. Thanks in advance.
Hey Flyer - I did this route end of Dec 2018. Here are some pointers from my experience:

1. Start early, very early form Delhi to avoid congestion in Ghaziabad. I started sharp at 4 am and crossed it comfortably.

2. The bridge construction at Philkhua and the associated delays can also be avoided (partially) by starting really early. But, please be prepared to face slow traffic in this stretch nonetheless.

3. Unless Nainital is an important stop over, it can be completely avoided. The alternate route is faster and roads are better.

4. The alternate route, if avoiding Nainital is an option, is to go right from Kaladhungi, on to Haldwani (use the Haldwani bypass to avoid city traffic) and then to Kathgodam. From Kathgodam, head over to Jeolikote and instead of going to Nainital, go north towards Almora, via Bhowali, Khairna, Suyalbari, Almora, Kosi and then to Kausani.

5. If Nainital is must, then from Kaladhungi, take the road, northwards to Nainital. And on day 2, go towards Almora from Nainital.

I have attached my route map showing the route I took. Note that I had gone to Almora through Nainital, which I am advising against, to avoid delays.

Also note, I encountered fog on the onward journey, right after Rampur while passing through Suar village. I've indicated that on the map.

I don't have specific advise about staying options in Delhi or Nainital, unfortunately.

Let me know any further questions.

Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries-screenshot-20190105-12.39.10-pm.png

Last edited by rovingeye : 5th January 2019 at 13:17.
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 18:09   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Flyer, I went to Nainital with my parents in july. We took Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur route towards Nainital via Kaladhungi. The route was good except some congestion while crossing Tanda. I don't have details regarding Delhi-Moradabad route.

Quote:
Also while approaching Nainital, are the roads good for late evening/night driving?
Yes, road conditions are excellent after Kaladhungi/Haldwani for night driving. On our onward journey to Nainital, we took Kaladhungi route, and on return, took Bhimtal-Kathgodam route. Both routes are good, but the latter one is more scenic and it also bypasses Nainital, if one wishes to go to Almora via Bhowali.

Quote:
I don't know about where to stay in Delhi, but you have two choices for Nainital. If you are taking Kaladhungi-Nainital route, you can stay at Kumaon Mandal Tourist Rest House(KMTRH) Sukhatal. It's located near cave garden. If you are taking Kathgodam-Bhowali route via Bhimtal, you can stay at Lavanya Resort. It's located near KMTRH Bhimtal, overlooking Bhimtal lake. Both places have ample space for parking.

Wish your brother a Happy and safe journey.
Anindya_Anni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 20:57   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
drive from Jalandhar to Kausani next week. Has anyone done this stretch recently?

Is there anyway to bypass Delhi when coming from Punjab to avoid traffic.The current plan is Jalandhar - Delhi (Day 1), Delhi - Nainital (Day 2), and Nainital - Kausani (Day 3).
Unless he has some work in Delhi, Eastern Peripheral expressway from Kundli will be helpful. Take Dasna Exit towards Moradabad on the Eastern expressway.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Jala...2!2d29.8445269

Quote:
This can be done with One stop, say somewhere near Moradabad or Rudarpur instead of Delhi. Jalandhar- Delhi/ Kundli Bypass is more like 5 hours.

Another route that maybe considered - Jalandhar- Chandigarh - Paonta Sahib- Haridwar- Lansdowne - Kausani. With night halt at Haridwar or near Lansdowne. It will be mostly 2 laned nevertheless good roads and fast traffic. I am not aware about road conditions from Nazibabad to Lansdowne but won't worry too much. Should be scenic as well. Perhaps slower then the Delhi highway route but enjoyable.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Jala...29.8445269!3e0

Quote:
Fog will be a concern if he leaves Jalandhar in the morning but on Highway, one can easily manage good speeds. Normally by 10-11 it gets cleared and it does not happen everyday either.

Quote:
Please also suggest good and affordable place to stay with parking, both at Delhi and Nainital. He's travelling alone.
Again, if he does not have a work or reason, can skip Delhi stop. Personally, I go with Trip advisor ratings. If he is going via Rudarpur, there are some good hotels in the city including Ginger.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th January 2019 at 21:10.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 15:56   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Unless Nainital is an important stop over, it can be completely avoided. The alternate route is faster and roads are better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anindya_Anni View Post
we took Kaladhungi route, and on return, took Bhimtal-Kathgodam route. Both routes are good, but the latter one is more scenic and it also bypasses Nainital, if one wishes to go to Almora via Bhowali.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Unless he has some work in Delhi, Eastern Peripheral expressway from Kundli will be helpful. Take Dasna Exit towards Moradabad on the Eastern expressway.
Thank a lot rovingeye, Anindya_Anni and Turbanator for all the suggestions. As per you guys advised he will skip Delhi and Nainital.

So the new plan is Jalandhar - Moradabad (Day1), and Moradabad - Kausani (Day2&3). He might do the 2nd stretch in a day.

Quote:
The alternate route, if avoiding Nainital is an option, is to go right from Kaladhungi, on to Haldwani (use the Haldwani bypass to avoid city traffic) and then to Kathgodam. From Kathgodam, head over to Jeolikote and instead of going to Nainital, go north towards Almora, via Bhowali, Khairna, Suyalbari, Almora, Kosi and then to Kausani.
This is the route he will take. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Jala...29.8445269!3e0
Can you please confirm if this is the exact route you suggested for bypassing Nainital.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:07   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please confirm if this is the exact route you suggested for bypassing Nainital.
Yes, that's exactly right!
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 08:40   #283

Folks,
Can you recommend me the stopovers for Delhi to Nainital route - bothways. I'll start around 6 am from Delhi and around 8 am from Nainital.

Thanks...
Old 30th April 2019, 12:24   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Flyer - I did this route end of Dec 2018. Here are some pointers from my experience:

1. Start early, very early form Delhi to avoid congestion in Ghaziabad. I started sharp at 4 am and crossed it comfortably.

2. The bridge construction at Philkhua and the associated delays can also be avoided (partially) by starting really early. But, please be prepared to face slow traffic in this stretch nonetheless.

3. Unless Nainital is an important stop over, it can be completely avoided. The alternate route is faster and roads are better.

4. The alternate route, if avoiding Nainital is an option, is to go right from Kaladhungi, on to Haldwani (use the Haldwani bypass to avoid city traffic) and then to Kathgodam. From Kathgodam, head over to Jeolikote and instead of going to Nainital, go north towards Almora, via Bhowali, Khairna, Suyalbari, Almora, Kosi and then to Kausani.

5. If Nainital is must, then from Kaladhungi, take the road, northwards to Nainital. And on day 2, go towards Almora from Nainital.

I have attached my route map showing the route I took. Note that I had gone to Almora through Nainital, which I am advising against, to avoid delays.

Also note, I encountered fog on the onward journey, right after Rampur while passing through Suar village. I've indicated that on the map.

I don't have specific advise about staying options in Delhi or Nainital, unfortunately.

Let me know any further questions.

Attachment 1833773

Thank you for the tips. I did Nainital in Sep 2018 last, and took the Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur route instead of Rampur-Suar-Bazpur. Any reason you took the turn from Rampur and not earlier via Moradabad? The stretch near Suar was very bad in 2016, has it improved?

I am going next week to Kausani, and debating whether to take my usual 1.5 diesel figo or the 530d. What would you suggest? I have no idea of the road condition from nainital/kathgodam towards almora-Kausani. Any pointers would be of great help. Thank you.
Old 30th April 2019, 12:51   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
Thank you for the tips. I did Nainital in Sep 2018 last, and took the Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur route instead of Rampur-Suar-Bazpur. Any reason you took the turn from Rampur and not earlier via Moradabad? The stretch near Suar was very bad in 2016, has it improved?

I am going next week to Kausani, and debating whether to take my usual 1.5 diesel figo or the 530d. What would you suggest? I have no idea of the road condition from nainital/kathgodam towards almora-Kausani. Any pointers would be of great help. Thank you.
Hey Bhuvan,

The only reason for taking the Rampur route was - Mr Google. I think, since it was winters and there was a lot of fog, maybe Google thought the other route would be better/faster.

However, I also just did a Delhi - Jilling (a little ahead of Bhimtal) trip couple of weeks back and can confirm that I took the other route via Tanda this time - it was indeed better and faster. So, please take Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur without second thoughts.

Name:  MoradKath.png
Views: 2465
Size:  307.7 KB

Another quick observation about the route Google suggested this time around was to take the Raj Nagar Extension elevated road followed by the Eastern Peripheral Expressway. Man, that cuts down your travel time by at least 30-40 mins because you completely avoid getting into Ghaziabad.

About road conditions from Kathgodam/Nainital onwards to Almora and Kausani, they're just fine. I thought hard and could not remember running into any bad patches of road either times. In fact, in lots of stretches, they have re-laid the road surfaces very recently and the roads are in top condition.

You could take either of your rides and you will be fine - just take the one in which you feel more comfortable. Don't worry about road conditions.

I absolutely love Kausani. Sometimes, I'm just sad I don't live there permanently. I can tell you, you will love your holiday.
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks