Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2015, 19:31   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
If one leaves Delhi early and is able to cross Delhi- Meerut before 8:00 am, the route via Bijnore- Najibabad is very good & scenic! The traffic volume is also not much, though the speed would remain below 80kmph most of the time due to horse carts/ tractor trolleys.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ni...30.3164945!3e0

Earlier this year, we did this route in 6 hours flat in ANHC with a longish Tea Break of 50 min. at Haridwar. Surpisingly, the distance is 280 km, least among all routes from Lodhi road.
I agree with you mate. Which ever route you take, it makes sense to start early. I took 4 hours from Dehradun to Noida in June. Took the conventional route via Roorkee, Odinagar, Meerut. Started at 4:50 A.M and drove non stop.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 00:12   #137
BANNED

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post on this forum, just got my membership request accepted :-)

I have been following this thread closely and it's clear that Karnal-Yamunanagar stretch is far better compared to the traditional one.

I've the following plan for this weekend with my family:

6 March: Delhi-Dehradun-Mussorie-Dhanolti-Chamba-Rishikesh Road-Fakot. The idea is essentially to explore mall road a bit in Mussorie and drive till Fakot, where we have our accommodation booked for the night. We won't explore Dhanolti or Chamba in between

7 March: Explore Rishikesh (Full day)

8 March: Start for Delhi post breakfast with an aim to reach by 4pm.

I will drive my brand new Vento TSI (purchased last week, one road trip:Agra, 500km so far) and we will be 5 in total in the car.

Now, I will be glad to get the following specifics from my fellow mates:

1. Since am covering a few places on the 6th, should I still stick to Yamunanagar route? Can anyone send me the GPS link please?

2. When should I start in the morning on the 6th and by when am I expected to reach Fakot?

Your help would really be appreciated. Many thanks.
NiladriM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 10:23   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiladriM View Post
Hello everyone,

This ------SNIP---Many thanks.
Did you do this trip?
What route did you take, and how was it?
Old 15th March 2016, 11:37   #139
BANNED

Hi Mayankk,

Yes, did it. I took Yamunanagar route while going to Mussoorie and took the traditional route (Roorkie, Meerut) while coming back. Though the former route is much more scenic (but ~70kms more in distance) and condition is near perfect, the latter is not too bad either and is very much doable if you leave early morning. I started my journey back from Fakot at 5:15 AM and reached my home at 1:30 PM, with one brunch break.

I've covered following places as part of my trip: Delhi-Mussoorie-Dhanolti-Chamba-Rishikesh Road-Fakot-Rishikesh-Haridwar-Delhi. A total of 862 km in total done with ease over a spread of three days. Mussoorie was freezing that day with occasional rain and wind while Fakot was a pleasure place to spend two nights.
NiladriM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:35   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Just finished a 6 day affair at mussoorie.
The following is the route we took going to and fro.

Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries-.jpg

Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries-.jpg

"To" route was a mistake, and has to be avoided. Flyovers are i nthe process of being erected near saharanpur, and there's no bypass to drive by them. Instead, you have to drive a loop around the sites, and there are no directions.
"From" is better, was faster than expected too, but expect the usual madness of NH58.

Route apart, if you are considering mussoorie, dont.
I abhor crowded hill stations, and haven't been to a mainstream one in close to a decade, going a little further, or before, to stay at a quieter place. my decision was validated with this stay bang on the mall road. Its crowded, dirty, filled with bad drivers who rush through the mall road, creating blockades. The worst offenders were the DL and HR plates. Honking, swerving, bassy idiots.

Go to dhanaulti, lansdowne, shilon bagh, etc, but not to the popular places.
Old 15th September 2016, 09:49   #141
Team-BHP Support

I am considering a quick weekend getaway; Jaipur and Shimla are done so Dehradun/Mussoorie is one option I am considering.

I can leave by 3-4pm on Friday and would want to get back by 9-10pm on Sunday.

Is Dehradun/Mussoorie possible for such a turnaround?

Given the recent monsoon, what would be the best route? Any tips on what to do, what to see?

On a sidenote, any place else I can consider?
Old 15th September 2016, 10:19   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I am considering a quick weekend getaway; Jaipur and Shimla are done so Dehradun/Mussoorie is one option I am considering.

I can leave by 3-4pm on Friday and would want to get back by 9-10pm on Sunday.

Is Dehradun/Mussoorie possible for such a turnaround?

Given the recent monsoon, what would be the best route? Any tips on what to do, what to see?

On a sidenote, any place else I can consider?
I had gone to doon and mussorie last weekend. Yes, this trip can be planned.

Assuming you are from Delhi, take the below route:

1. Merrut by pass
2. Chutmalpur
3. Mohand
4. Doon

You can stay in doon and then next day move to mussorie. Roads more than 40% in bad state.
nick17s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 10:47   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
You can stay in doon and then next day move to mussorie. Roads more than 40% in bad state.
How long did it take for you; we'll leave from Gurgaon. Are the roads bearable for the i20/City. Overall, worth the trip or should we rather just stay put.

Since we'll be leaving around 4pm, we'll travel a good amount at night. Are the highways safe? (the time we drove to Shimla, we reached around 1am; but recent developments raise caution for night travel)
Old 15th September 2016, 12:40   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How long did it take for you; we'll leave from Gurgaon. Are the roads bearable for the i20/City. Overall, worth the trip or should we rather just stay put.

Since we'll be leaving around 4pm, we'll travel a good amount at night. Are the highways safe? (the time we drove to Shimla, we reached around 1am; but recent developments raise caution for night travel)
I drove at 90/100 kmph. It took arnd 6.5 Hrs to reach doon from Vasant Kunj.

Roads are good for i20/ city, infact we had gone there in a 09' IVTEC and a 2015 New IVTEC. Highway is safe. The weather is awsome there now, so it sure is worth spending a weekend. Go to Bhatta falls its on the midway to Mussorie from Doon. Small waterfall, better than Kempty fall (as its dirty/ crowded). And in doon go to robbers cave.

On my return I started at 6 30 in the evening from doon and reached home at around 1 am. (missed the chutmalpur diversion) and landed up on a broken highway (old saharanpur).

#Cheers and Have a Safe trip
nick17s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 12:49   #145
BHPian

Travelling to Mussoorie from 26th Jan-29th Jan. Any latest update of the best route to take from Delhi? Thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2017, 13:05   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Travelling to Mussoorie from 26th Jan-29th Jan. Any latest update of the best route to take from Delhi? Thanks in advance.

I would suggest you stick to the gzb, Meerut,muzzafarnagar,roorkee, dehradoon route.
Old 22nd January 2017, 16:21   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I would suggest you stick to the gzb, Meerut,muzzafarnagar,roorkee, dehradoon route.
Thanks for the quick reply. Will stick to this route only then.
Old 25th January 2017, 16:55   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Delhi -Karnal-Yamuna Nagar-Poanta-Dehradun is a good option as well ,though more in terms of kms
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 16:56   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Delhi -Karnal-Yamuna Nagar-Poanta-Dehradun is a good option as well ,though more in terms of kms
This is indeed the better option https://goo.gl/maps/rc2wx9XgRGx . Longer by about 50 odd kms but with smoother, less congested roads (including the state highway).

Cheers!
Old 12th July 2017, 21:22   #150
BHPian

Ghaziabad - Dehradun route for July 19

Greetings to all fellow motorists.

I've been long a silent reader of Team-BHP but had nothing interesting in my life to share. Its about time.

I plan to travel to Dehradun starting from Ghaziabad on July 19 (4am - 10 am). The date cannot be changed, unfortunately, got some business to attend to. I read in the news the Kanwar roadblocks and honestly, I'm scared. I've got a short travel window and I am not sure which route to take. Usually, I start from Ghaziabad and go to Mohan Nagar via NH-24 and proceed to Meerut (image attached). My question is, if this route will be closed, should I go to Hapur and then to Meerut, then proceed 'normally' after merging with the usual route or will there be any other restrictions? If anyone has some information on this, it will be appreciated.

I have a few concerns:

1. Will I spend less time on the road if I travel by:
a. Car
b. Motorcycle (speed limit of 70-80 applies I guess, not a superbike)

2. What time should I start from home as to avoid any jam/conflict on the road due to traffic being re-routed?

3. Is there any possibility of being stuck and the journey taking more than 8 hours even if I start at 3-4 AM?

Thank you for your expertise in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries-untitled.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks