Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 10:47   #121
BHPian

re: Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetSoni View Post
Hi nkghai

We our going on a outing almost after 2 years, so this is a relaxed laid back trip with lots of breaks. It will be a 5 to 6 day trip.

Thank you and regards
Vineet
OK, so no issues, i was just talking about shortest route because if it is weekend trip time is of essence.

Laid back trip then fine, take the most scenic routes.

I have never stayed overnight in Nahan, just crossed it on all occasions , so would not have an idea about lodging there.

The route Chandigarh to Dehradun is fine except 15-20 kms around Kala Amb and great for a Leisure drive.

The return route should be around 80-90 kms longer than the conventional route but as someone pointed in an earlier post, the road from Ponta Sahib to Yamunanagar is good ( never been on it), so one can plan.

Key thing in you planning is stoppages because of the 5 month old baby.

Whatever route you take you are never far away from habitation so am sure you will enjoy it

All the best

Regards
Old 29th May 2015, 11:40   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post

Laid back trip then fine, take the most scenic routes.

All the best

Regards
So For the scenic routes, should I take Chakrata road or shimla bypass

any other suggestion of any specific activity to include kindly let me know.

and please if some one could suggest any nice place to stay at Nahan

Lots of thanks to everyone

regards

vineet
Old 19th November 2015, 20:18   #123
BHPian

Hi All,

I need to travel to Dehradun the week after next. Could someone please update on the road conditions of the following routes & also suggest if Route B makes sense to me as I reside near Ghaziabad?

Route A) Delhi - Ghaziabad - Modinagar - Meerut Bypass - Khatauli Bypass - Muzaffarnagar Bypass - Roorkee - Chhutmalpur - Dehradun (240 kms)

Route B) Dehradun - Paonta Sahib (Chakrata Road (NH72) - Yamuna Nagar - Karnal - Delhi (312 kms)

I live in I.P.Extension thus Route-A appears convenient & is shorter.

I plan to leave Delhi around 6am on Saturday morning via Route-A. Shall be returning next day. Plan to leave Dehradun around 12pm. Does it make sense to take Route-B for the return journey?
Old 19th November 2015, 20:53   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2389 View Post
Hi All,

I need to travel to Dehradun the week after next. Could someone please update on the road conditions of the following routes & also suggest if Route B makes sense to me as I reside near Ghaziabad?

Route A) Delhi - Ghaziabad - Modinagar - Meerut Bypass - Khatauli Bypass - Muzaffarnagar Bypass - Roorkee - Chhutmalpur - Dehradun (240 kms)
I did Delhi-Dehradun-Mussorie-Dehradun-Delhi via Roorkee last month.

Ghaziabad to Muzaffarnagar Bypass is excellent 4 lane road. From there till Roorkee road widening work was going on. After Roorkee roads are OK till the ghats. Entire ghat section was under repair, making the road narrow. While going it wasn't a problem as there was very less traffic. Just before you enter Dehradun there is a narrow tunnel that runs through Rajaji National Park, there are signals at both the end to control the traffic flow.

While returning I got stuck in the queue to enter the tunnel and again on the ghats. I was returning on a sunday which was the last day of the long weekend, there were just too many cars! It took 12 hrs to reach Delhi from Dehradun

You have good options to eat if you take route A. There is Haldirams, McDonalds and Subway at khatauli.

I would recommend to stick to NH-58 (Route-A) for going and coming back.

Last edited by sinharishi : 19th November 2015 at 20:57.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 11:57   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Route B) Dehradun - Paonta Sahib (Chakrata Road (NH72) - Yamuna Nagar - Karnal - Delhi (312 kms)

I plan to leave Delhi around 6am on Saturday morning via Route-A. Shall be returning next day. Plan to leave Dehradun around 12pm. Does it make sense to take Route-B for the return journey?
Hi,

I would suggest to take route A) for onward Journey as you plan to leave by 6 AM.
For return, both routes would be tiring and time consuming as you will reach Delhi late evening on Sunday. However Route B) offers better drive & breaks as you approach Delhi. You will be tired at end of the journey and NH-1 offers more relaxed drive inspite of heavy traffic and also has many options for tea/dinner break.

Last edited by Wanderers : 20th November 2015 at 12:00.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 17:51   #126
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions Rishi & Wanderers! I shall take Route A (Ghaziabad-Roorkee-Dehradun) for my onward journey as I plan to start early.

For my return journey, I may take Route B (Dehradun-Paonta Sahib-Yamuna Nagar-Delhi) as I would be starting late plus this may give me a chance to explore a new route.

I shall update how it went once I return.
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:15   #127
Senior - BHPian

I went to Mussorie in June 2015, went through this thread and lots of other and finally decided to go via Karnal, Yamuna Nagar. It was a very pleasing drive, left Delhi early in the morning. Nice highway, good roads. Even when I had to go via Rajaji national park, it wasnt that crowded, however it took me around 7 hours. Then traffic builtup at Mussorie meant additional one hour was lost. Not to mention traffic in Dehradun city.

While return I thought of trying out Muzzafarnagar route, I would say, better avoid it. A large part of the road was just 2 lanes road and with no chance of overtaking the vehicles ahead of you. You have to be constantly behind the vehicle ahead of you else someone else will come in between. Roorkee etc though was bypassed, but it was like any other UP town with full of chaos on the road. Then Modinagar, Ghaziabad (meerut road entry) was equally bad. Not to forget the traffic inside the rajaji national park and the tunnel (which is one way only.) My return journey too me more than 9 hrs. Large part of highway was under construction. Bizzare overtaking by people (due to narrow roads and heavy traffic) was a cause for another headache.

Having seen both the routes in 3 days, I would strongly and very highly recommend using Karnal & Yamunanagar route ONLY and avoid Muzzafarnagar route. Expect a much pleasing, less of traffic, drive in your comfortable speeds and a very relaxed drive.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 22:21   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Having seen both the routes in 3 days, I would strongly and very highly recommend using Karnal & Yamunanagar route ONLY and avoid Muzzafarnagar route. Expect a much pleasing, less of traffic, drive in your comfortable speeds and a very relaxed drive.
Hi Amit,

Thanks for your feedback on the routes. I would most likely take Karnal-Paonta Sahib Route for my trip. Shall update the thread soon with my experience.

Regards
rx2389
Old 30th November 2015, 20:22   #129
BHPian

So I am back after a quick trip to Dehradun during the last weekend. Took NH1 route (Sonepat>Panipat>Karnal>Indri>Radaur>Yamuna Nagar> Paonta Sahib> Dehradun) for the round trips.

It took me 9 hours of leisure drive with brief stop overs at Paonta Sahib Gurudwara for the darshan; Neelkanth Star at Karnal for lunch & few others at Yamuna Nagar to seek confirmation from the locals for route.

During the onward journey, I did not go via Pipli. Google Maps was smart enough to direct me to a short cut through Indri & Radaur. However at Yamuna Nagar, to save few kms, it directed me to a narrow lane of local market where I had to cover 5 kms in the first & 2nd gear!

Therefore, during the return journey, I checked with the locals at few places to ensure that Google Map does not again throw me to such 'short routes'. I must say though that Google Map was bang on during the return journey.

Loved the drive through Kalesar forest! Once you are off from NH1 i.e between Karnal & Dehradun, the roads are without divider but in good condition. I did not exceed 80 KMPH & the average fuel effecience with 20% AC usage was about 20 KMPL which I believe is preety decent for Ritz Petrol.

For me, this route is longer than the traditional route i.e NH58 (Ghaziabad>Roorkee>Dehradun) by about 80 KMS one way but I believe it was worth it. My cousin also left for Delhi at the same time as me i.e 12 PM but took the latter route. He could also reach Delhi in 9 hours. He encountered heavy traffic throughout.

Regards
Old 30th November 2015, 20:54   #130
BHPian

The justice would be done to this update with the pics only, hence, request you to upload the pics soon. Thank you
Old 1st December 2015, 00:12   #131
BHPian

Quote:
During the onward journey, I did not go via Pipli. Google Maps was smart enough to direct me to a short cut through Indri & Radaur. However at Yamuna Nagar, to save few kms, it directed me to a narrow lane of local market where I had to cover 5 kms in the first & 2nd gear!
The road was marked as an artery road with an average of 60 kmph, hence google decided to use it for directions. Will get that corrected.
Old 1st December 2015, 00:47   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
The justice would be done to this update with the pics only, hence, request you to upload the pics soon. Thank you
Hi Shivanshu,
This was a short trip wherein I reached Dehradun to attend a wedding reception on Saturday & returned to Delhi, the next day. Thus, unfortunately, I do not have any pics to share.
rx2389 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 14:40   #133
BHPian

Gurgaon -Panipat -Karnal - Indri- Ladwa- Yamunanagar- saharanpur

https://goo.gl/D8c6ed

I took the above route and the Roads were good to drive with no potholes. The single lane highway between Karnal and Ladwa is wide and overtaking was easy. The Road between Ladwa and Saharanpur was narrow and congested but still manageable.

This is much better than Delhi-Ghaziabad-Muzafarnagar-Roorkee-Saharanpur route which is full of potholes and congested.

I left at 7.30 AM from Gurgaon with two stops at Sukhdev(Muruthal) and KFC(Karnal) and did not encounter any major bottlenecks.

I took the same route on my return journey.

Edited: today, 14:31
Old 13th December 2015, 17:39   #134
BHPian

If one leaves Delhi early and is able to cross Delhi- Meerut before 8:00 am, the route via Bijnore- Najibabad is very good & scenic! The traffic volume is also not much, though the speed would remain below 80kmph most of the time due to horse carts/ tractor trolleys.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ni...30.3164945!3e0

Earlier this year, we did this route in 6 hours flat in ANHC with a longish Tea Break of 50 min. at Haridwar. Surpisingly, the distance is 280 km, least among all routes from Lodhi road.

Last edited by breezydrive : 13th December 2015 at 17:46.
Old 13th December 2015, 19:02   #135
BHPian

Ahh Dehradun, studied there for 10 years in hostel. And did a trip one month back and will be going again next week. I usually take this route:

Delhi-Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Rorkee-Bhagwanpur-Chhutmalpur-Dehradun.

This route is around 280 kms and is better then going via Haridwar as they have 4 lane work in process and has become to busy. In the above route we were stuck at the tunnel for 30 mins otherwise I didn't get stuck anywhere and roads are good as well except some rough patches. I was able to do it in 6 hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks