Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 01:46   #31
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion guys. So would it be rather wise to take Shatabdi instead? I had also reserved seats keeping the long weekend rush in mind. I recently drove to Delhi from Rudrapur and roads have become really horrible because of floods (NH 24 was closed so had to come via Kashipur).I just don't want to feel same experience again.

I want to take my car because I plan to go to Mussoorie also. I was talking to my friend and he told me, once it took him 11 hours to reach Delhi from Dehradun in evening.

Will Figo do on those roads?
Old 8th October 2010, 11:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
I want to take my car because I plan to go to Mussoorie also. I was talking to my friend and he told me, once it took him 11 hours to reach Delhi from Dehradun in evening.

Delhi - Dehradun in current conditions should take you about 7-8 hours (usually takes 5-6 hours), add 45 min - 1 hour to Mussoorie at most. 11 hours may be because of some unforeseen traffic holdup (accident, farmers' protest, wedding or other procession) which is not uncommon on this highway.

Rudrapur - Delhi was bad because the road was totally under 4-6 feet of water for days during the September floods. Nothing that bad happened on this route.

The Figo will certainly manage to negotiate these roads. Don't worry.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion guys.

If you have the option of Shatabdi, I would suggest you take it. Not that you will not be able to reach but the drive will not be enjoyable at all, until Dehradun. Judging by the amount it rained, I will not be surprised if the highways are a big mess. You can take a cab or a local bus to Mussoorie depending on your preference and spend a nice relaxed time there. Hey, if you want adventure just walk to mussoorie from Rajpur as well

I used to love driving down but always take the Shatabdi now. Its just no fun to drive on that highway anymore.

Last edited by sammyboy : 8th October 2010 at 12:39.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

+1 sammyboy. If you have the option, I suggest you take Shatabdi.
Old 10th October 2010, 10:42   #35
BHPian

mapmyindia vs google maps??

I have decided to drive down. mapmyindia and google maps show different routes. mapmyindia shows khatauli --> muzaffarnagar -->purquazi-->manglur-->roorkee-->chhutmalpur

Google shows :- khatuali-->Ghalauli-->Deoband-->nagal-->chhutmalpur

My doubt is which one to take?

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have no clue regarding the road conditions but I usually take the 1st one. Please remember to take the muzzaffarnagar byepass instead of trying to go through the town. Same with Meerut byepass.

Have a good trip.
Old 10th October 2010, 21:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

1st option as in the map above is perfect.
2nd option might be a bad one as once I did that and there was no road at all.

Have a comfortable journey and update us soon.

Cheers!
Old 10th October 2010, 22:28   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Google shows :- khatuali-->Ghalauli-->Deoband-->nagal-->chhutmalpur
The Deoband route is practically a no-road route. The NH58 runs via Purkaji & Manglur to Roorkee.

Would still suggest you travel parallel to NH58 along the Upper Ganga Canal, as I described earlier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The route you've defined from Muradnagar runs along the Upper Ganga Canal.
...After you come out at Khatauli, cross the NH58 and carry on along the canal again, and you'll come out at Roorkee (you'll cross the NH58 again at ... Manglur).
Old 10th October 2010, 23:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Would still suggest you travel parallel to NH58 along the Upper Ganga Canal, as I described earlier...
I would be starting early in the morning from Indirapuram (4:30 am latest). I am not too comfortable with the alternate routes especially in that part of UP.

Strange, I never thought twice about alternate routes while I was in Bangalore for 3 years. Had absolutely no hesitation driving Bangalore --> Calicut in pitch dark . And in my own UP I am double minded.
Old 10th October 2010, 23:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey!
It might be too late for any advice . But the Baghpat-Shamli-Saharanpur route is slightly better than the canal route.
Disclaimer: This does not mean it isn't broken! It is just less broken. :P
Mohand was okay the last I time I drove through, so no need sticking your neck out towards H'dwar. Take the ring road from the ISBT instead of entering the city. That will save you quite some time.

Cheers!

And please do upload loads of pictures.
Old 10th October 2010, 23:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hey!
It might be too late for any advice
I am leaving coming Friday. So 4 more days, pour in your advices.
Old 11th October 2010, 02:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hehe!

Well honestly, I would recommend the train.
The potholes on all routes are sheer torture on the car. Your Figo can definitely make it, but it will either be a very slow or a very bumpy ride.
You can always take a cab right from the railway station to Mussoorie.

I was thinking about the route I had suggested, it wouldn't make much sense for you to traverse Delhi and hit Haryana. It makes a lot of sense for guys like me who put up in northern parts of Delhi.
Guess the Canal road is your best bet.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote: But the Baghpat-Shamli-Saharanpur route is slightly better than the canal route.
Disclaimer: This does not mean it isn't broken! It is just less broken. :P

Bro, last time I used this route, I was pulling my hair. There is no road for about 40 kms on that stretch.

Perseus: As everyone is hinting winking and hinting again, dont use your flying horse the road is bad and I am sure you wont like new Figo to go rattling on you once back home. Rest the decision is yours. Enjoy the trip.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I am leaving coming Friday. So 4 more days, pour in your advices.
Honest advise if you want is, scrap the idea of driving down and take the train instead. I know how we all love driving, but driving on Delhi - Dehradun road is a torture for the car, yourself and folks travelling with you.

How I know because did this route in last week of Sep. Took close to 7.5 hours for reaching Doon and 9 hours on the way back to touch Delhi. The car cursed me back by scraping the underbody,rattling from all the corners and with a leaking front shocker.BTW the car is question is ikon.
Old 11th October 2010, 16:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Bro, last time I used this route, I was pulling my hair. There is no road for about 40 kms on that stretch.
Absolutely. The stretch around Shamli is in Shambles.

It is just not possible to appreciate the drive to Dehradun anymore. :'(
Wish the Meerut route gets completed before my 80th b'day. I really want to drive through Cheetal without being in a horrible mood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks