Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 20:59   #106
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Dehradun traditional Route - not so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamjain008 View Post
@avingodb and Ironhide,

I too am planning to visit Mussoorie that time. We plan to start from Noida on 2nd October early Morning and back on Sunday. Won't mind going together if you guys are okay with it. Can be a small BHP getaway!
Thanks for the offer Anupam, though the chances of me heading to Doon in that period are looking increasingly bleak! Much as I'd have liked to be in Doon in October (it's just the perfect time to be in Doon - the weather is pleasant and the incessant rains have gone away, leaving a carpet of green on the mountains), I have another pressing commitment in the same period. All the same, you should go ahead and enjoy the bracing air and mild nip up in the mountains.

Thanks all the same !

Cheers !
Old 10th December 2014, 17:53   #107
BHPian

re: Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries

Hi All,

We're planning a xmas getaway to Doon. We plan to leave on the morning of 25th Dec. We are 4 adults and 2 toddlers.

I've been to Doon a couple of times and always used the traditional route - Delhi-Meerut Bypass - Muzzafarnagar - Roorkee - Chutmalpur - Doon.

A friend travelled by this route last week and said that the Purkazi Bypass is now open.

I want to ask fellow travelers on their thoughts about taking the traditional route or the Pipli-Ponta Sahib route for my upcoming trip.
Old 19th December 2014, 14:56   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.sxna View Post
Hi All,

We're planning a xmas getaway to Doon. We plan to leave on the morning of 25th Dec. We are 4 adults and 2 toddlers.

I've been to Doon a couple of times and always used the traditional route - Delhi-Meerut Bypass - Muzzafarnagar - Roorkee - Chutmalpur - Doon.

A friend travelled by this route last week and said that the Purkazi Bypass is now open.

I want to ask fellow travelers on their thoughts about taking the traditional route or the Pipli-Ponta Sahib route for my upcoming trip.
We're planning to go to Mussoorie for new years. I've gone through this thread. Are there any updates on the traditional route that would make it a better bet than the Ponta Sahib route?
Old 20th December 2014, 01:03   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb86 View Post
Are there any updates on the traditional route that would make it a better bet than the Ponta Sahib route?
couple of people in the family recently came back from doon through the traditional route...and they were all gaga about the roads, apparently purkazi bypass is now open and the highway leading to doon after roorkee is almost done now.

I though still haven't tried it, will try it on our upcoming trip and update you.
Old 20th December 2014, 11:16   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.sxna View Post
I though still haven't tried it, will try it on our upcoming trip and update you.
Thanks! We plan to leave on the 31st.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th December 2014 at 11:43.
Old 24th December 2014, 20:11   #111
BHPian

sorry to inform that the trip has been cancelled due to some unforeseen circumstances. :(
Old 30th December 2014, 15:03   #112

Team mates,

I did the DELHI to DEHRADUN for the Christmas break

I took the following route:

DEL -> DDN

Delhi - Panipat - Karnal - Pipli - Ladwa - Yamunanagar - Poanta Sahib - Dehradun

Observations:
There is new road recently opened just after Poanta Sahib towards Dehradun. If I recollect the distance right, the board on the round about states 36 km on the new road and 42 km on the old road through Selaqui. However, the new road takes is not 36km to Dehradun as this goes to Majra and then Dehradun. We took a turn onto a village road toward Prem Nagar to come out near IMA. Avoidable road, though no traffic

For the return
DDN -> DEL

Dehradun - Poanta Sahib - Yamunanagar - Indri - Karnal - Panipat - Delhi

Better road, cruised through at 80kmpl with ease.

For both up and down journey, there were speed traps (speed maniacs, please be careful)

From a feedback perspective, found the return route much better, ample cruising, little traffic, enjoyable drive, irritating traffic only for a small distance. Considering this drive, I would vote for this route against the traditional Del - Meerut - Roorkee - Ddn route (I must driven this road over 8 times this year)

Before I close, Happy New Year team and drive safe.

Anshul
anshulkwatra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

Anshul,

I trust this road adds about 70-80 Km to the Delhi -Noida distance ( Approx 255 Km in my case) if one were to go thru Meerut- Roorkie- chutmalpur road.

How long did the drive take ? The best I have managed on the conventional route is 4.5 hours and on my bad days it has taken almost 6.5 hours.
Old 30th December 2014, 16:18   #114

@rajneeesh

Distance by the conventional route for me home-to-home is 260km and on Karnal route was 336km; so an additional 76kms for me.

For me, I did each side in around 7 hours.

Conventional route takes me around 8 hours, only once while traveling on 26 Jan did this in 5 hours (that is the least it took me ever on the conventional road).

I am a slow driver (top speed on the Karnal route was 80kmph) and we as a family take several breaks (bio breaks for kids, dog etc etc)

I just found this route very peaceful compared to the other, where it feel I am still driving in the city except the Khatauli bypass

Anshul
Old 17th May 2015, 08:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I will be driving to Mussoorie from Delhi on Monday.
What is the best route in terms of traffic, road conditions and time taken
1. Through Meerut, Muzzafarnagar, Dehra dun, Mussorie
2. Through Panipar, Karnal, Poanta Sahib, Mussorie

This is the first time I will be driving in North India.
Any pointers and tips will be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 17th May 2015, 23:09   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Hi All,

I will be driving to Mussoorie from Delhi on Monday.
1. Through Meerut, Muzzafarnagar, Dehra dun, Mussorie
2. Through Panipar, Karnal, Poanta Sahib, Mussorie
I have no idea about 2 though I've been told the Yamuna Nagar- Paonta road is good. As for 1 is concerned after Muzzafarnagar head towards Roorkee and thereafter towards Chutmalpur which drops you straight on to the Mohand Road. The four laning should be complete by now.

At Mohand be prepared for a slight jam due to the tunnel crossing, thereafter take rajpur road to climb to Mussourie.
Do update us as well!
Old 18th May 2015, 12:23   #117

@speedmiester,

Apologies for the delayed response.

I prefer the Karnal -> Paonta Sahib route personally against the Muzzafarnagar route

I find it cleaner, less traffic, can drive at a constant pace.

I find the traditional route very irritating
1. Post Muzzafarnagar it is a single carriage at several places
2. There is WIP from Muzzafarnagar till Purkazi, so at several places the road is bad
3. Unpredictable - any or no incident can cause a traffic jam
4. Ghats are under repair causing unmanned crossings where only one direction of traffic can flow. And invariably somebody will try and overtake everybody from the extreme left or right and block everything

Prejudices apart, the Karnal - Paonta Sahib road is also longer by around 40km (~16% longer).

Thanks and Regards
anshul
Old 29th May 2015, 00:52   #118
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a trip to Mussoorie, need advice of all, in making the trip perfect.

I will be travelling with wife and son (5 months old), this is going to be his first road trip.

Delhi to Chandigarh to Suket Fossil park to Nahan to Shri Ponta sahib to Dehradun to Mussoorie and back through ponta sahib route only.

Chandigarh to Suketi Fossil park
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ch...d30.490585!3e0

Once you open the link you will be able to see two suggested route, which one to take

Suketi Fossil park to Nahan

We will be staying overnight at Nahan, can you kindly suggest any good place were we can stay and make most of the view and places around.

Nahan to Shri Paonta Sahib Gurudwara

Any suggestion on this route kindly recommend

Shri Paonta Sahib Gurudwara to Dehradun

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Gu...30.3164945!3e0

1) whether to take the shimla bypass road or chakrat road
2) if shimla bypass then later on whether to take Badowala or the IMS south campus road

on return
Mussorie to new delhi

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Mu...28.6139391!3e0

Kindly see the link and let me know if this route is perfect for return journey.

Please advice about any bad road condition which I might encounter during this route both ways.

Any areas on this route where I should be careful about notorious elements like that on Mujaffarnagar route.

Please suggest other place which I must include in the trip or any specific activities which I should visit on my route.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Vineet
Old 29th May 2015, 09:14   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetSoni View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am planning a trip to Mussoorie, need advice of all, in making the trip perfect.

Vineet
Dear Vineet

Have driven a lot on these routes but i have few querries.

How many days trip?
Why are you stopping at Nahan?
Why come back via Ponta Sahib?

The reason i ask are simple.

Delhi Chandigarh route is a straight one. Via Sonipat - Karnal- Ambala. If you start early morning and avoid rush can be in Chandigarh in 6 odd hrs, considering you can halt for about 45 mins to one hr at Haveli Restaurant in Karnal for some sumptuous breakfast of paranthas etc etc

From Chandigarh you have the route via Ramgarh- Naraingarh-Kala Amb- Nahan- Ponta Sahib-Herbertpur, sela Kui- Dehradun/Mussorie. I have done this trip 100 times and even 10 days back in may Dads Maruti 800 , it took me only 3.5 hrs. Maybe you can do it in 4.5 hrs . If you dont mind a bit of traffic, go via Chakrata road, as then you will travel through iconic Ghantaghar and Rajpur road before hitting Mussorie bypass. In evenings i go on this drive whenever in Doon , just for fun.

Return to Delhi need not be through Ponta as it is way off. Straight route Dehradun- Roorkee- Muzaffarnagar- Meerut Delhi. Have not gone by road on this route for some time.

Regards
Old 29th May 2015, 09:45   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Dear Vineet

Have driven a lot on these routes but i have few querries.

How many days trip?
Why are you stopping at Nahan?
Why come back via Ponta Sahib?

Regards
Hi nkghai

We our going on a outing almost after 2 years, so this is a relaxed laid back trip with lots of breaks. It will be a 5 to 6 day trip.

I am in no hurry to reach Mussoorie.

We included nahan as a over night point thinking it will be good site to view around like renuka lake, the fossile park and so on.

if you can suggest any other good options please let me know.

I have driven to Mussoorie number of times via haridwar route, but always have found it to be congested and very bad road conditions hence decided to take the ponta sahib route on the way back.

since I have haven't travelled on this route, I have so many queries

Thank you and regards
Vineet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks