Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:40   #601
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
The route does look mouth watering. But the road conditions seeing your 2012 experience do look a bit scary. Are the water crossings on the road to chushul a problem? And the road to kakasang La can we expect better conditions than what you have posted?
Your map says around 8 hours from Pangong to Tso Morari. Is this time a reasonable assumption? Considering the deserted route would not want to drive past sunset. If the road conditions are favorable i would love to try the route.
My map is accurate and takes into account photography breaks. If you find this too scary, remember such routes are often done by 2WD Sumo's with half the engine missing and 1/4th the power of your vehicle
Old 23rd July 2014, 04:23   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My map is accurate and takes into account photography breaks. If you find this too scary, remember such routes are often done by 2WD Sumo's with half the engine missing and 1/4th the power of your vehicle
Thanks for the advise tanveer. That makes the final plan

30th july- Meerut-Manali
31st July- Manali-Jispa
1st Aug- Jispa-Leh
2nd Aug- Leh (permits)
3rd Aug- leh- nubra
4th Aug- Nubra-pangong (Wari la)
5th Aug- Pangong-Tso morari (Kakasang la)
6th Aug-Tso morari- Sarchu
7th Aug- Sarchu-Manali
8th Aug- Manali-Leh

Due you think I need to pre book places to stay anywhere? I like to keep my plan open so will like to avoid unless necessary. The iternity looks very good thanks to your guidance and am eagerly looking forward to the trip.
Old 23rd July 2014, 08:46   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Do not worry about one way or stuff like that in October. The rush dies down, and roads are quite empty. But its going to be cold (-10 can be expected at Hanle and Tso moriri as well as Pangong)

Secondly, you may not be allowed Chumur. So from Kyun Tso you simply take Chumur Track to Tso moriri. As it is there is no stay option at Chumur
Thanks Tanveer. I am not worried about the cold - I am quite covered there (no pun intended).

About Chumur, will see if I get the permit, otherwise, as you said, head out to Tso Moriri. I guess accomodation there means the Tso Moriri Camp & Resort at Karzok, right?

I am especially concerned about the trips on 9th and 10th Oct. Is that stretch doable in this time? I would like to avoid driving after sunset.

Also, I have a question about accomodation in some of the other places like Turtuk, Diskit, Spangmik and Hanle. I read about the tent accomodations in Turtuk (Holiday Camp) and Spangmik. Do I have to pre-book these (if so, how?), or just walk-in and ask?

As always, thanks for your suggestions and time.
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:13   #604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the advise tanveer. That makes the final plan

Due you think I need to pre book places to stay anywhere? I like to keep my plan open so will like to avoid unless necessary. The iternity looks very good thanks to your guidance and am eagerly looking forward to the trip.
Leh city may need booking. Rest is okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Thanks Tanveer. I am not worried about the cold - I am quite covered there (no pun intended).

About Chumur, will see if I get the permit, otherwise, as you said, head out to Tso Moriri. I guess accomodation there means the Tso Moriri Camp & Resort at Karzok, right?

I am especially concerned about the trips on 9th and 10th Oct. Is that stretch doable in this time? I would like to avoid driving after sunset.

Also, I have a question about accomodation in some of the other places like Turtuk, Diskit, Spangmik and Hanle. I read about the tent accomodations in Turtuk (Holiday Camp) and Spangmik. Do I have to pre-book these (if so, how?), or just walk-in and ask?

As always, thanks for your suggestions and time.
I will be surprised if you find any other tourist anywhere. And I suggest stay in a non tented acco at Diskit instead of Turtuk. -7 in a tent is not a pleasant thing even when you are covered up. If you have done it before, fine, but if not, do not make this your first tent experience.
Old 23rd July 2014, 23:32   #605
BHPian

I wanted to know which network would be the best for this trip. I only have prepaid cards as of now and will have to buy a postpaid.

Should I only buy Bsnl(a tedious process) or does airtel also work well there. I had seen aggressive marketing by aircel in Kashmir. Is it any better in ladakh?

And secondly which places can I expect to find mobile connectivity. Is diskit covered?

One more question. How much fuel should I carry considering the 80 litre tank on my fortuner. Since am going via Wari La and onwards kakasang la I might not get a fuel station since I leave leh till Tandi. I don't expect more than 8kmpl on that terrain. Any suggestions how much fuel should I carry?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd July 2014, 23:47   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wanted to know which network would be the best for this trip. I only have prepaid cards as of now and will have to buy a postpaid.

Should I only buy Bsnl(a tedious process) or does airtel also work well there. I had seen aggressive marketing by aircel in Kashmir. Is it any better in ladakh?

And secondly which places can I expect to find mobile connectivity. Is diskit covered?

Thanks in advance.
BSNL is the best option. You will have BSNL connection in Diskit.
Old 24th July 2014, 00:10   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
BSNL is the best option. You will have BSNL connection in Diskit.
Thanks for that. So connectivity till Darcha and then leh and diskit. That's about it I suppose.
Old 24th July 2014, 15:31   #608
BHPian

Hello,

Here is our itinerary. Being the first time, we are keeping it easy after the highway miles.
PM me if your dates coincide with us

8/1/2014 Friday Pune
8/2/2014 Saturday Udaipur
8/3/2014 Sunday Chandigarh
8/4/2014 Monday Patnitop
8/5/2014 Tuesday sonmarg
8/6/2014 Wednesday kargil
8/7/2014 Thursday Likir
8/8/2014 Friday leh
8/9/2014 Saturday leh
8/10/2014 Sunday Pangong
8/11/2014 Monday keylong
8/12/2014 Tuesday ambala
8/13/2014 Wednesday jaipur
8/14/2014 Thursday pune

Cheers
-ajay
Old 24th July 2014, 20:06   #609
BHPian

What's the best route from Udaipur to Srinagar?
Old 25th July 2014, 12:36   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you invest in a good mask. Will serve you better than an oxygen cylinder as asthamatics are more prone to attacks due to dust rather than thin air. Manali leh highway, and even Srinagar Leh highway can be extremely dusty
A hepa filter equipped good quality mask can fix the issue for you
Do you have any links for the mask? Or, any place near Delhi airport to pick these from?
Old 25th July 2014, 13:51   #611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Do you have any links for the mask? Or, any place near Delhi airport to pick these from?
You have to ask around chemist shops.
In USA they cost 20$
http://www.amazon.com/3M-7182-3M%C2%.../dp/B0006FMK0W

In India you get contraptions like these
http://www.ebay.in/itm/3M-Anti-Pollu...item19ef9108c1

Slightly better
http://www.ebay.in/itm/NeoMask-Anti-...item233d173328
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 15:39   #612
Senior - BHPian

Oh I was thinking something subtle. I don't want to risk getting mistaken for a terrorist wearing one of these around disputed regions
Old 25th July 2014, 15:51   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamtiwari View Post
What's the best route from Udaipur to Srinagar?
Which Udaipur, HP or RJ?
Old 25th July 2014, 16:05   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Oh I was thinking something subtle. I don't want to risk getting mistaken for a terrorist wearing one of these around disputed regions
You Won't!!!

I wore a Tube covering my Face and Head, except Eyes, almost all my trip and was never harassed or challenged for that.
Old 26th July 2014, 19:36   #615

Hi Tanveer, just wanted to check if I could use your map on page 1 of the Leh thread across my blog etc? With due credits of course mentioned.

Unable to PM hence checking here for your permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks