Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 11:34   #706
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Last week I have taken gonikopparoute and it was terrible,I would say don't go by this route.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:57   #707
Senior - BHPian

As per latest report both routes ie. Gonikoppa/Periyapatna routes are in bad condition. So the question which one is better? last time (in June last week) I took Gonikoppa route, it was manageable.
Old 9th August 2011, 12:29   #708
BHPian

Yea,in the last one month road condition has turned very bad.before that it was manageable
Old 9th August 2011, 19:56   #709
BHPian

Too bad news... I am planning to drive on 21st Aug evening. If the condition is unmanageable, I hv to think about other options.. (may be Madikeri - Virajpet - Makkutta..!!)

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 10th August 2011, 12:38   #710
Senior - BHPian

Those who intend to travel in/around Kannur - be careful. The road from Puthiyatheru to Kannur Thane is very very bad (infact there is no road but only potholes everywhere). Normally it would have taken around 20 minutes will now take more than one hour (and will be more if traffic congestions are heavy). Also Thalassery/mahe stretch is also out of shape. ( I have travelled on 7/8/9 august -from payyannur to Trivandrum and back).
Old 10th August 2011, 13:23   #711

Can any one suggest the best route to kannur from banaglore, based on the road conditions
Old 10th August 2011, 15:06   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Too bad news... I am planning to drive on 21st Aug evening. If the condition is unmanageable, I hv to think about other options.. (may be Madikeri - Virajpet - Makkutta..!!
spoke to a friend in siddapur, he said that the periyapatna-siddapur route is better than gonikoppa route.

he was suggesting the hunsur - periyapatna - kushalnagar - siddapur - virajepet route which is better than both the above routes.it will be longer by 20kms in comparison to siddapura route.

has anyone tried this route?

madikeri route will be 40kms more
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-kushalnagar.jpg  

Last edited by ad75 : 10th August 2011 at 15:10.
Old 10th August 2011, 23:54   #713
BHPian

Wow this thread is just great and has 3 to 4 years of history of these routes…

I am driving out on this Saturday morning to Kannur and will be returning on 16th.

So after enough reading on this thread, here is the route I am planning to take:

BANGALORE - SRIRANGAPATTANA - MYSORE? - HUNSUR - ?? - GONIKOPPA - MATTANUR? - ??? - KANNUR

But need help fine tuning the one that has a question mark.

1. Srirangapattana - Hunusur: how is the road via Belagola? Is it worth trying in a Santro AT, or is it better to just go via Mysore ring road.

2. Hunsur - Gonikoppa: is the road OK, or should I be taking the one via kushalnagar as suggested by @ad75

3. Gonikoppa - Mattanur - Kannur: This portion is totally new to me, how is the road here, I see there are many varients between this stretch which one is better
Old 11th August 2011, 08:53   #714
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
1. Srirangapattana - Hunusur: how is the road via Belagola? Is it worth trying in a Santro AT, or is it better to just go via Mysore ring road.
I think the Mysore ring road is best avoided since it adds more distance and also there is widening work happening now (there are several posts in various threads mentioning this). I would suggest you take the right turn near the circle at Srirangapatna towards Yelawala (I think you will find sign boards marked for Orange County, Ranganathittu bird sanctuary, etc near the turn). This road goes past Power Grid Corporation and connects you to the Hunsur Road. My last drive on this stretch was over a year ago and this road was good, but not sure about present conditions.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:26   #715
Senior - BHPian

Hunsur to Gonikoppal was a hellhole a month back. Road full of moon craters and heavy KSRTC traffic. I would avoid this road even if it means taking 50-60km longer route.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:09   #716
Senior - BHPian

So this is much better comparing to Gonikoppa route

BLR-SRIRANGAPATNA-YELWALA-HUNSUR-PERIYAPATNA-SIDDAPUR-VIRAJPET-MAKKUTTA-IRITTY-MATTANUR-KANNUR
Old 11th August 2011, 16:43   #717
BHPian

Thanks for the updates, have a two more questions:

BLR-SRIRANGAPATNA-YELWALA-HUNSUR-PERIYAPATNA-???-SIDDAPUR-VIRAJPET-MAKKUTTA-IRITTY-MATTANUR-???-KANNUR

Question1: PERIYAPATNA-SIDDAPUR stretch: Should I be going all the way till Kushalnagar and back, or there is a road indicated on Google Maps, is it worth trying?

Question2: MATTANUR-KANNUR stretch has two options, which one is better:
1 via Keezhallur - Chakkarakal - Kannur
2 via Edayannur - (Kannur-Mattannur road) - Mathukkoth - Kannur
Old 11th August 2011, 16:51   #718
Senior - BHPian

1) There is coffee shop 'Cafe Coorg' @ Hunsur. Gonikoppa left fork road comes around 6-7 KM from this Cafe (do not take this road). You continue another 12-15 KM and take left turn @Periyapatna to go towards Siddapur (Look for a gas petrol pump on the left and left turn is few hundred metres from this).

More details about this route is available few pages back in this thread.

2) 2nd option - Mattanur - Kannur via Edayannur-Chalode-Koodali-Eachur-mathukkoth

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th August 2011 at 16:52.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 18:18   #719
BHPian

Ok here is the route I will be taking unless somone tells me between now to Saturday morning to change it

BANGALORE-SRIRANGAPATNA-ELIVALA-HUNSUR-PERIYAPATNA-SIDDAPUR-VIRAJPET-IRITTY-MATTANUR-EDAYANNUR-CHALODE-KOODALI-MATHUKKOTH-KANNUR (Google Map)
Old 11th August 2011, 19:39   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Ok here is the route I will be taking unless somone tells me between now to Saturday morning to change it

BANGALORE-SRIRANGAPATNA-ELIVALA-HUNSUR-PERIYAPATNA-SIDDAPUR-VIRAJPET-IRITTY-MATTANUR-EDAYANNUR-CHALODE-KOODALI-MATHUKKOTH-KANNUR (Google Map)
And the route I'm taking tomorrow morning is Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Elivala-Hunsur-Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur-Kanhangad. Wonder in what shape will the Bhagamandala-Panathur forest stretch in monsoon ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks