Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 09:55   #841
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Bad as in, potholes? or rough roads? Has it been repaired after the monsoons by any chance? I plan on doing the same timing... At least, I have two route in mind now. Thanks mate.
It has potholes and rough patches. No they have not been repaired when i travelled a month ago. But driveable but very slowly. The road is being widened and tress on the sides are cut. Dont except any respairs in near future.

If you don't mind a detour of 40 KMs and want to have peacfeul drive go via Hunsur - Madikeri - Virajpet. From Viarajpet the road is excellent except on the Kuttupuzha bridge - a stretch of 200 mtrs - which is bad but can be managed.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:56   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
It has potholes and rough patches. No they have not been repaired when i travelled a month ago. But driveable but very slowly. The road is being widened and tress on the sides are cut. Dont except any respairs in near future.

If you don't mind a detour of 40 KMs and want to have peacfeul drive go via Hunsur - Madikeri - Virajpet. From Viarajpet the road is excellent except on the Kuttupuzha bridge - a stretch of 200 mtrs - which is bad but can be managed.
Thanks Fauji. I think I'll use the detour then. Any idea about the roads from Iritty till Mattanur? This was in a pitiable condition too last monsoon.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:06   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Thanks Fauji. I think I'll use the detour then. Any idea about the roads from Iritty till Mattanur? This was in a pitiable condition too last monsoon.
I did not travel on this stretch as i was coming from Taliparamba. Seeing the conditions of the road in the area, i can vouch that Iritty - Mattanur should be in a very good condition as well unless someone in the forum can provide the actual facts.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:19   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing the conditions of the road in the area, i can vouch that Iritty - Mattanur should be in a very good condition as well unless someone in the forum can provide the actual facts.
Sir, you are wrong. Iritty-Mattanur road condition is worst, they were doing some maint. work when I travelled last time (Dec first week). Hope it is in drivable condition now.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:50   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Sir, you are wrong. Iritty-Mattanur road condition is worst, they were doing some maint. work when I travelled last time (Dec first week). Hope it is in drivable condition now.
Thanks Latheesh for giving the ground reality. So the option is to go via Taliperamba where the raods are very good and may end up doing additional 25 KMs
Old 24th February 2012, 13:23   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Latheesh for giving the ground reality. So the option is to go via Taliperamba where the raods are very good and may end up doing additional 25 KMs
I do not think it is worth taking Thalipparamba route if you want to go to Kannur. Iritty-Mattanur stretch (around 14 KM) is bad (hope it is repaired now) but Mattanur-Kannur (27KM) is excellent! butter smooth drive.

Last edited by Latheesh : 24th February 2012 at 13:47.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 14:14   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think it is worth taking Thalipparamba route if you want to go to Kannur. Iritty-Mattanur stretch (around 14 KM) is bad (hope it is repaired now) but Mattanur-Kannur (27KM) is excellent! butter smooth drive.
Thanks Latheesh. So the route is now clear!!
Old 24th February 2012, 14:25   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you referring to the route that turns off from the Madikeri highway a little bit after Kushalnagar (via Dubare-Ammathi) or going right till Madikeri and then to Virajpet ? I've seen the former recommended here very often, and it adds only about 25-30 kms. Is the Madikeri-Virajpet road in much better condition than the Kushalnagar-Virajpet road ?
Old 24th February 2012, 15:00   #849
BHPian

Hello everyone,

One of my colleagues is driving to Taliparamba this weekend and has a route query. He will be halting for a day at the Kabini River Lodge which is off Mysore Manathavady road (Karnataka State Highway 33). Could any of you tell me if the stretch of road inside Nagarhole National park to Mananthavady via Bavali is open to traffic and any tips for the road from Mananthavady to Irrity ? Thanks !
Old 24th February 2012, 15:01   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Are you referring to the route that turns off from the Madikeri highway a little bit after Kushalnagar (via Dubare-Ammathi) or going right till Madikeri and then to Virajpet ? I've seen the former recommended here very often, and it adds only about 25-30 kms. Is the Madikeri-Virajpet road in much better condition than the Kushalnagar-Virajpet road ?
Going right till Madikeri as the road between Kushalnagar via Ammathi is also not great as given by some in this forum. That's the reason i said it will add 40 more KMs but peace of mind
Old 24th February 2012, 15:13   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn_i20 View Post
One of my colleagues is driving to Taliparamba this weekend and has a route query. He will be halting for a day at the Kabini River Lodge which is off Mysore Manathavady road (Karnataka State Highway 33). Could any of you tell me if the stretch of road inside Nagarhole National park to Mananthavady via Bavali is open to traffic and any tips for the road from Mananthavady to Irrity ? Thanks !
Yes, the road from Kabini to Mananthavady via Bavali is very much open. And it was in pretty good shape except for the initial 4-5 kms from Karapur when I travelled last a few months ago.

To go from Mananthavady to Taliparamba, the shortest should be via Boys Town-Palchuram-Kottiyoor-Iritty. The Palchuram-Iritty stretch was just about average when I last travelled that way, but a message posted by another user (Ranjani) yesterday seemed to refer to that same road (Iritti-Kottiyoor temple-Mananthavady) and the poster indicated that the road was in good condition even though narrow.

Last edited by kala : 24th February 2012 at 15:14.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:21   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The Palchuram-Iritty stretch was just about average when I last travelled that way, but a message posted by another user (Ranjani) yesterday seemed to refer to that same road (Iritti-Kottiyoor temple-Mananthavady) and the poster indicated that the road was in good condition even though narrow.
Had read some newspaper reports last week about palchuram road being closed for around a week for maintenance activity. Please cross check whether that is completed or not. May be Ranjani has traveled after the maintenance work?
Old 24th February 2012, 20:05   #853

Quote:
Friends,

I drove through Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur last Saturday. The road is in good condition now. I was covering it between 11 AM and 12 AM. Not much traffic either.
Thunderbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 10:05   #854
Senior - BHPian

Asphalting of Kootupuzha-Telicherry stretch of Bangalore-Kannur route

Bitumenized Macadem asphalting of the stretch from Koottupuzha state border to Telicherry via Mattannur, Iritty will commence from Friday the 2nd of March, as per a newspaper report in Mathrubhumi. The stretch is being developed in two phases, Phase 1 from Kootupuzha to Mattannur, and Phase 2 from Mattannur to Telicherry. The total allotted budget for the 55 km stretch is 16.5 crores.The report indicates that traffic on the stretch would be allowed to ply even when the work is going on. Around 7 bridges in the stretch would also be strengthened.
For all who can read malayalam, here is the link to the report:
Kannur District News, Local News,Kerala - Mathrubhumi
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 11:42   #855
Senior - BHPian

This should make Kannur the nearest and most easily accesible beach to people in Bangalore!!! The drive is also very nice and mapilla cuisnie to die for for those who love sea food!!!

Most Viewed