Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 23:41   #901
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Thanks Kala. I was not really looking to save a lot of time, but if this route is also good, then it promises to be a scenic and sedate route, with a minimum of traffic . Am I right ??

Regards,
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:07   #902
BHPian

I did Bangalore - Payyannur on 21st July. Route: Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur (through Ranganathittu BS) - Gonikkoppal - Virajpet(I took a bypass here, which is again in dead ruins, but loved the coffee plantations enroute) - Iritty - Irikkur - Srikandapuram - Thaliparamba - Payyannur. It was my 1st drive and hence did a lot of research. Through this forum and through my uncle who drove the same stretch, got to know that 1 should not take Hunsur-Gonikkoppal Road as it is tar between potholes. I wanted to take the Peryapatna - Ammathi Road to Virajpet. But unfortunately I landed up taking the former route seeing a board showing a sign to Virajpet. SX4 was fully loaded as I was shifting from Bangalore. Believe me to cover a 55 KMs on SH90 to reach SH91 I took around 2.5 hrs :(

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...sz=12&t=m&z=11

I strongly recommend this to any SUVs, 4x4s or any lightly loaded SX4s. Road is in ruins but it is the shortest, road less travelled and scenic. I stopped in a village to check air in the tires, he took 20rs, 5 rs each for checking and filling air.

The drive from Virajpet through the Makkutta ghats were the best monsoon drive I had in recent times. Roads are in excellent condition and you drive through thick forests. It was a great experience. So till further notice through some media or fellow BHPians, Hunsur-Gonikkoppal Road for LMVs is a strict NO-NO. I recommend Peryapatna-Ammathi road to Virajpet.
myashu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 08:49   #903
BHPian

Looks like the monsoon created havoc in our route.. See this news in Mathrubhumi (Malayalam) http://epaper.mathrubhumi.com/epaper...8/8/2012-.aspx

It says, there is a big hole developed in the middle of the road, 50m close to makkutta checkpost and the traffic is restricted. Only 2wheelers are allowed at this time.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 09:34   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
It says, there is a big hole developed in the middle of the road, 50m close to makkutta checkpost and the traffic is restricted. Only 2wheelers are allowed at this time.
Saw the news in Mathrubhumi today morning. Hope it gets repaired soon, at least a few days before onam! Damage could be major though. There was also news of a water stream changing course, somewhere near 'ambuettan's hotel' on the ghats. No information about the damage caused by that! Or is this the same place that this 'hole' has developed?
Slightly , Any idea about the status of bus services on Bangalore-kannur route? Which route would they take now, considering the night ban on 2 alternate routes and the terrible condition of the 3rd alternate route-Gonikuppa-Kutta? Even Kozhikode-Bangalore airbuses were taking Telicherry-Iritty-Virajpet-Mysore route of late!!
Old 9th August 2012, 00:40   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Is there a problem in the route from Guruvayoor to Kasargod to Mangalore because of the rain & floods? If so, could you suggest any alternate routes?
Old 9th August 2012, 06:33   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys, Is there a problem in the route from Guruvayoor to Kasargod to Mangalore because of the rain & floods? If so, could you suggest any alternate routes?
As of now there is no problem. Rain is settled now and please remember to start early to avoid the traffic. The issues were only in the hilly areas, not in the coastal

Today newspapers reported that there will be traffic restriction in the Virajpet - Makkutta road. The flood water damaged the side of the road and there was a fountain formed at the middle of the road which is now settled. The Karnatala PWD started the damage repair and the restriction will be for 15days. I don't know the details like if the night Buses are still plying or not,

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 10:28   #907
BHPian

Hi,
I was thinking of driving down to Kannur this Friday (Aug 17th) via the Virajpet-Iritty ghat. Anyone here having any updates on the road/traffic restrictions now? Since I am travelling with my 1.5 year old kid want to avoid any road blocks. Any other alternatives other than Kutta-Wyanad?

Any info will be of much help. Thanks.

Also, I heard that the Hunsur-Gonikkopal stretch has also seen some improvement. Any ideas?
Old 13th August 2012, 17:00   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaud View Post
Hi,
I was thinking of driving down to Kannur this Friday (Aug 17th) via the Virajpet-Iritty ghat. Anyone here having any updates on the road/traffic restrictions now? Since I am travelling with my 1.5 year old kid want to avoid any road blocks. Any other alternatives other than Kutta-Wyanad?

Any info will be of much help. Thanks.

Also, I heard that the Hunsur-Gonikkopal stretch has also seen some improvement. Any ideas?
Virajpet-Makkutta route has been repired and open from today. My friend travelled this morning and he confirmed, it is in good condition. As far as I know, other roads are no better-not worth the extra KM's.

I will travelling this route on 15th August with my 1 year old son. Will try to post an update. feel free to PM me.
princenoble is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 11:36   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
Virajpet-Makkutta route has been repired and open from today. My friend travelled this morning and he confirmed, it is in good condition. As far as I know, other roads are no better-not worth the extra KM's.

I will travelling this route on 15th August with my 1 year old son. Will try to post an update. feel free to PM me.
Thanks a lot for the info. Would appreciate if you could also keep an eye out for the stretch between the deviation at Hunsur till the forest check-post . I heard rumours that the roads are much better now.

I guess I don't have to tell you to avoid the Virajpet bye-pass.
Old 15th August 2012, 01:01   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble

Hi,

I am planning for same route to Kannur on 17th evng and planning for a night drive. Please keep posted on your journey exp. I need to know if I should go piriyapatna ammathi route or take hunsur gonikoppa route. And also road conditions of Virajpet and Makkutta.
Old 16th August 2012, 15:04   #911
BHPian

I now have a question. Need to travel Kannur in yellow board hired vehicle which calls for paying tax at checkpost. Travels person is not sure whether we have option to pay tax if I take Virajpet Iritty route. He says we don't have checkpost there. Instead he is suggesting us to take Sultha bathery route. Problem if we do this is, we need to leave Bangalore early in the noon itself. Because, vehicles are banned in this route after 9PM or so.

Ideal would be if anyone can confirm if there is tax paying facility in Virajpet route, so that we can travel complete night and reach Kannur early in the morning.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:28   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Ideal would be if anyone can confirm if there is tax paying facility in Virajpet route, so that we can travel complete night and reach Kannur early in the morning.
I do remember seeing an RTO checkpost at Madathil junction, around 2-3 kms before Iritty bridge. The contact number of the RTO checkposts in Kerala are given in this link: MVDKerala - MVCP I find Iritty also in this list. (phone numbers 0490-2493566, mobile 8547639137) Do call them and confirm whether they issue permits and collect road tax. As far as I understand, they would issue.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 23:26   #913
BHPian

I traveled this this route on 15th August. Here are my updates.

Vehicle: Innova with 4 on board(including my 1 year old son)
Route: Srirangapattana-bypass, Elivala, Hunsur, Gonikkuppa, Virajpet-bypass, Mkkutta, Iritty.

Roads are average to bad between Hunsur till coorg boarder, but very-much OK to drive at an average speed of 40+. Makkutta section and Kerala roads are in very good condition. I would advice you to drive through Virajpet town as bypass has one real bad dip.Except for that single spot, I found other parts of the road good enough.

My drive took 7 hours (Brookfield to Iritty). Considering that I did not cross 100kms/hour and had 5-6 stops on the way, I would say roads are reasonably good.
princenoble is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 23:29   #914
BHPian

[quote=SharathScorp;2872031]Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
I now have a question. Need to travel Kannur in yellow board hired vehicle which calls for paying tax at checkpost. Travels person is not sure whether we have option to pay tax if I take Virajpet Iritty route. He says we don't have checkpost there. Instead he is suggesting us to take Sultha bathery route. Problem if we do this is, we need to leave Bangalore early in the noon itself. Because, vehicles are banned in this route after 9PM or so.

There is still an RTO check post-but now they moved the location. It is a few Kilometers after Excise check post. There are a few drums on the road and a barricade which is always open. You can pay entry tax there.
princenoble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 20:09   #915
BHPian

Another option,
Drive up to Periyapattana on Hunsur-Madikeri highway (20 Km from Hunsur), take left and road will lead you to Coorg entry check post on Hunsur-Gonikoppa road (12 KM from Pariyapattana. This cross road is in just average condition-but taking this diveation will limit your bad stretch to just 12 KM. Rest of your journy will be in excellent to good roads.
So, route will be as follows,

Srirangapattana, Yeiwala, Hunsur, Periyapattana (take first left after entering town), another 12 KM, you will join back Hunsur Gonikkopa road at coorg forest cehck post,then follow usual road via Gonikkopa, Virajpet & Makkuta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks