Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 20:07   #1651
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
Came back to bangalore via Srirangapatna-Yelwal bypass. From Yelwal side, first half of the road is in bad condition and second half is good but with lots of speed bumps. Its better to travel via the ring road.
Comparing to the ring road, I think the number of speed humps are less in this bypass + shortage of 5-6kms and scenic surrounding..!!
Old 21st April 2016, 21:59   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Comparing to the ring road, I think the number of speed humps are less in this bypass + shortage of 5-6kms and scenic surrounding..!!
I will be always reaching Mysore in the night(onward/return) so nothing scenic in the dark and I think the speed breakers on the ring road are smooth and don't need to downshift the gear where as I had to almost stop and proceed on bypass humps. Since the bypass is narrow in some places and felt it difficult to give way to the oncoming Lorry's with no dim light.
Anoopscv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:08   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Did a round trip;

Onward - 8th Apr Friday - Started @ 5.30 AM from Ecity and Reached Kannur @ 12.30 PM (40 minutes break)
Return - 17th Apr Sunday - Started @ 9.15 AM from Kannur and reached Ecity @ 6 PM (1 hour 30 minutes break)
Latheesh, Please update the road condition Especially Yelawala - Srirangapatana bye-pass. Hope the rest of the roads are all good. The Makkutta ghat section had started breaking up at a few places last time I drove.

I'm driving tomorrow early morning.
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:26   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Did a round trip;

Onward - 8th Apr Friday - Started @ 5.30 AM from Ecity and Reached Kannur @ 12.30 PM (40 minutes break)
Return - 17th Apr Sunday - Started @ 9.15 AM from Kannur and reached Ecity @ 6 PM (1 hour 30 minutes break)
That's almost 1 week in Kannur. Did you spend the entire time in Kannur or did you have other plans?
Old 22nd April 2016, 17:12   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Latheesh, Please update the road condition Especially Yelawala - Srirangapatana bye-pass. Hope the rest of the roads are all good. The Makkutta ghat section had started breaking up at a few places last time I drove. I'm driving tomorrow early morning.
Looks like work on Srirangapatna-Yelwala stretch still not complete. I took Ring road both onward and return journey. Please watch those barricades by police on Ring road at few junctions. Makkutta ghat section is in very good shape and nothing to worry at all. Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch is also in excellent condition, but watch for those few speed breakers.

We stop for breakfast @ Cafe County near Hunsur, it is pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
That's almost 1 week in Kannur. Did you spend the entire time in Kannur or did you have other plans?
I am from Kannur

Let me know if you are planning a trip to Kannur, we will try to help you.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 11:28   #1656
BHPian

Tried this route from Ramamurthy Nagar to Mattanur this time:
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ra...2845!5i1?hl=en

BLR > Nelamangala > Kunigal > Chennarayapatna > Holenarasipura > Hunsur > then the usual Gonikkoppal > Virajpet route.

Its around 350kms to Mattanur. Started at 7am and reached Iritty at 1pm.
Absolutely no traffic. Only the villages in between will slow you down.

Joins the Mysore > Hunsur road just before the Y fork where you take left to Gonikkoppal.

Total toll is around Rs. 120.
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 22:55   #1657
BHPian

Planning to go to Kannur on this Saturday (30-04-16, 4.00am). Got a few mins work in Mananthavady hence taking Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady-Pal Churam-Kuthuparamba route. Any recent update on this stretch? Also, starting from E city. Is it wise to take Kanakpura road instead of Bangalore-Mysore highway?
Old 27th April 2016, 00:13   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
Planning to go to Kannur on this Saturday (30-04-16, 4.00am). Got a few mins work in Mananthavady hence taking Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady-Pal Churam-Kuthuparamba route. Any recent update on this stretch? Also, starting from E city. Is it wise to take Kanakpura road instead of Bangalore-Mysore highway?
I had been to kalpetta,waynad district last month. The route that you have mention is really good to drive.It took me around 6 hours to reach kalpetta after an early morning start around 5:00 from marathalli.

Happily take the route and stop over at naijagunja residency for breakfast in chamrajnagar.You will not find much eateries in this route though.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 12:13   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
Since you're planning to take the HD Kote route and starting early, going on the regular Bangalore-Mysore highway would probably be better. The other alternative to Mysore via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur is slightly longer and has a 3-4 kms bad patch near Bannur Town, so I think you'll end up taking more time going via Kanakapura.

With a 4 AM start, you may end up passing Mysore by about 6:30 or so, and breakfast options may be an issue. (Most restaurants would open for breakfast only by 7AM or so). Once you pass Mysore, there's practically nothing available on the Kabini route till you reach Kattikkulam - which would probably be a little bit late for breakfast. So I'd suggest delaying your start a little bit - say 4:30 or 5 AM so that you can have breakfast at Mysore itself.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 16:54   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
With a 4 AM start, you may end up passing Mysore by about 6:30 or so, and breakfast options may be an issue. (Most restaurants would open for breakfast only by 7AM or so). Once you pass Mysore, there's practically nothing available on the Kabini route till you reach Kattikkulam - which would probably be a little bit late for breakfast.
Alternatively, start a bit earlier - cross Mysore by 5:30 or so, so that you reach Mananthavady by around 8-8:30. Hotel Brahmagiri in Mananthavady serves a good breakfast and has nice, clean restrooms. It is on the road to Kannur.

http://www.hotelbrahmagiri.com/
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 11:52   #1661
BHPian

Thanks redcruiser, kala and binand for the updates and suggestions. Planning to start by 4.30am from e city and have breakfast at Mysore. Hope, by 7am restaurants will open in Mysore.
Old 9th May 2016, 10:56   #1662
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this on Facebook. There was news about similar incidents I guess more than a year back, later there was news that the gang responsible for the same was caught.

In any case, those who are traveling on that route be cautious

Since news article in in Malayalam, what it reports is that an Innova traveling towards Virajpet on Mysore Virajpet road was attacked by a robbery gang. Vehicle window panes were broken by throwing stones, the driver didn't stop there to inspect and instead spead away spoiling the robbbery bid. The incident happened on Tuesday midnight.

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-fb_img_1462764679605.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-fb_img_1462764662766.jpg
Old 9th May 2016, 13:21   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Came across this on Facebook. There was news about similar incidents I guess more than a year back, later there was news that the gang responsible for the same was caught.
This was discussed last week in the 'Roads to Kerala thread'

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3966259

Three people alleged to be part of the gang were arrested.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 11:01   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Got back from a round trip to Kannur yesterday. No changes to the road conditions - Superb as it has been a couple of years now.
Onward journey, I was at Iritty by 7 PM on saturday and traffic was terrible on the Iritty Kannur stretch. Took 1.5 hours to cover this.
The Chalode-Chovva stretch is slightly rough due to patch works. I did the stretch first in my Punto and then in my father's i10. The Punto's brilliant suspension masked most of the roughness, but in the i10 it was bouncy and that was when I realized it was not smooth tarmac. Hopefully they redo the tarmac before the Kannur airport officially opens.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 16:35   #1665
BHPian

How safe is it to do a solo evening/night drive to Iritty? Lets say I start at 4pm from JP Nagar, take the NICE road and join Mysore road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks